The Maintenance Library - Books that have helped motivate you or helped you lose weight

Smiling_Sara
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm looking for a list of books that have helped you either get motivated, stay motivated, and helped you get moving and lose weight in one form or another. Could be fiction or non fiction.

I'm about half way through Half Assed, and so far I like it a lot!

srmb60
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Thin for Life by Anne M Fletcher
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto
Superfoods Rx by Steven G. Pratt

Fressca
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many diet/motivation/exercise books I've got. I'm a bit of a junkie that way.

I'm currently reading The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo, as recommended here on 3FC by RockinRobin or Meg, I think. I really like it; it's got some very unique ideas I haven't come across before.

teawithsunshine
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Diet Girl by Shauna Reid
Bikini Season by Sheila Roberts

p7eggyc
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Cooking Thin and Getting Thin and Loving Food by Kathleen Daelemans are combo motivation/healthy lifestyle ideas and great cookbooks. She also has a Cooking Thin Daybook that is a daily diary/workbook type book that I don't have.

Peg

Smiling_Sara
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many diet/motivation/exercise books I've got. I'm a bit of a junkie that way.
I'm currently reading The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo, as recommended here on 3FC by RockinRobin or Meg, I think. I really like it; it's got some very unique ideas I haven't come across before.

no need to be embarrassed! Let's hear em? I hope to become a weight loss book junkie! Thanks for the books so far everyone. :)

Pita09
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm currently reading Eating for Life by Bill Phillips. Good sound advice and lots of tasty recipes.

beerab
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
ooh posting so I can bookmarkt this lol ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

aneleh
06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Play as if Your Life Depends on It!

It's so fascinating!

Also: In Defense of Food

Both are really great, and are not fad-diet types.

njsweetpea
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Jillian Michaels' latest book Master Your Metabolism is my current read.

Daimere
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM

I'm a junkie, too. It may seem that I am the ultimate yo yo dieter with my library. But if one of those books will give me one good recipes, one nudge of encouragement or anything, then, I'm okay! That is why I've been looking for podcasts to listen to at work that involve health/fitness/weight loss.

CyndiM
06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
Mindless Eating - Brian Wansink
How to Overcome Overeating - David Kessler
Thin for Life - Anne M Fletcher
Beck Diet for Life - Judith Beck
Such a Pretty Fat - Jen Lancaster
Confessions of a Reformed Dieter - AJ Rochester

rockinrobin
06-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Yup, twas' me. I was just going to chime in here with this one. Actually Mandalinn is the one that pointed me in the direction of this book. She thought I might enjoy, because when she read it she said it reminded her of "my plan". I didn't read this book till long after I hit goal, but so much of what he says is indeed "my plan". So much. Right down to recommending that one munch on string beans! I've recommended it to many people.

mandalinn82
06-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Oh, yay, Robin - glad you liked it! It was eerie, I was reading the book and it was just like reading your posts. I always love when a book recommendation works out.

I have recently loved:
Animal Vegetable Miracle
Omnivores Dilemma/In Defense of Food
Mindless Eating - Why we eat more than we think
and in a weird, "gardening helps me be more in touch with my food and make healthier choices" way, "Finding God in the Garden" was lovely.

rockinrobin
06-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh, yay, Robin - glad you liked it! It was eerie, I was reading the book and it was just like reading your posts. I always love when a book recommendation works out.

I have recently loved:
Animal Vegetable Miracle
Omnivores Dilemma/In Defense of Food
Mindless Eating - Why we eat more than we think
and in a weird, "gardening helps me be more in touch with my food and make healthier choices" way, "Finding God in the Garden" was lovely.

Not to hijack the thread, but Amanda, I apologize. Do you mean I never told and thanked you for introducing me to that book? Apparently not. Well - thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it was eerie. It was like I was inside his head and he inside mine, like I said - right down to the string beans. It was nice to hear that a Columbia University man with a PhD and myself think so similarly.

Pumpkin Queen
06-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I really like any of "The Biggest Loser" books. And it might be strange, but I love just flipping through and reading cook books. I really like the "Hungry Girl" ones. I don't know, somehow seeing that food can be good and healthy makes me want to try harder.

Has anyone read the "Skinny B*tch" series?

sassybangs
06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
i second the recomendation for Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. just a fun read about one funny lady's weight loss journey. made me think, if she can do this, then so can i!

losermom
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Regarding podcasts, I found that Renee Stephens' Inside Out Weight Loss series to be really helpful to me. It's free on itunes. Even though I may not like her personally, she appeared on Wife Swap to disasterous results, this past winter, I still find her message invaluable.

munchievictim
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Another vote for Mindless Eating--reading that now. It's really great. Helps you not only realize what triggers you to eat more junk, it helps you learn how to trigger yourself to eat more good stuff!
Also interested in the Skinny B series, if anyone's read them? I've heard that they're extreme and promote an unhealthy diet, but only from one person.
Oh, and, I don't know if it counts but right now I'm reading/doing the 28-Day Yoga Exercise Plan by Richard Hittleman. Not a diet book but very helpful in learning yoga if you're interested.

mandalinn82
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Robin, of course you thanked me...you thanked me just now! :)

loveDC425
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
you can heal your life - louise hay

for all of us with low self esteems, and who feel worthless in this world, and terrible about the way we look.. this book has been helping me ALOT ALOT ALOT .. please try reading this... the exercises it has in the book are really eye opening.. it made me realize alot of the things I think about myself are because OTHER people told me so.. this book helps you erase what other people told you as your beliefs, to creating your own beliefs about yourself...

my yoga teacher suggested it to me because i kept being too hard on myself when i couldnt do the postures, and i kept hating me, and in result i would get dizzy in class.. it has def helped me alot with my confidence and believing in me.. and my weight loss.

mandalinn82
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I just read a great emotional eating book called, I think, "Life is Hard, Food is Easy". If you struggle with emotional eating it might be really helpful for you!

time2lose
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
FYI - The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo sounded very interesting to me and my local library does not have it. I pinch pennies so I hated to order it through Amazon without being sure that I wanted it. I found it on Google books and started reading it while eating my lunch. The entire book will not be online but a large selection is (http://books.google.com/books?id=Nl2bfrlGW4AC&lpg=PR1&ots=FqozICPCRk&dq=The%20Thin%20Commandments%20%3A%20The%20Ten%20N o-Fail%20Strategies%20for%20Permanent%20Weight%20Los s&pg=PR1).

Just thought that I would share.

KDuffer
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Not a book, but watching the training scenes in Rocky III (and Rocky I) always makes me want to get out there and workout hard. I have both movies and have watched those 10-15 minutes thousands of times to get myself going.

Runundefined
06-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I have SO many motivational and books about dieting that I can't even think of them all.

Lately I am really enjoying books on eating more mindfully. Like the "Martini Diet" and "French Women Don't Get Fat". I also just ordered "Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat" and just got out my old "The Okinawa Program" to read again.

I go thru stages and re-read them all the time.

I was excited to find this thread because there are books mentioned I Have not read!

I think for me constantly reading keeps me focused and motivated.

Smiling_Sara
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Finished Half Assed, and LOVED it. Now I'm reading Fat Girl by Judith Moore. I don't like it as much, he mother ( if you can even call her that, was awful to her ) I have about 100 pages left, then I have Skinny B*itch lined up and Moose. Anyone read any of the 3 I just mentioned?

JasmineH
06-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Skinny *****

sassybangs
06-27-2009, 06:47 PM
i browsed the skinny b*tch book. i didnt read the whole thing, but i did read the chapter on not drinking milk. i little too much 'tough love' if you ask me. i dont need to spend 15 bucks to be berated about being fat. i can get that for free in the outside world.

goodday
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I just finished Moose, as a long island girl it was all very dead on for me although the sleep away camp I attended was not a fat camp, I found it extremely relatable. I definitely recommend it.

Also "confessions of a carb queen" was truly extraordinary

FrouFrou
06-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Loved, loved, loved Skinny Bit*h and Jen Lancasters Such a Pretty Fat...like DD said...I think she stole our lives, lmao!

Nuxmaga
06-29-2009, 01:06 PM
My two favorites are

Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck--lots of good stuff about sabotaging thoughts that contribute to weight gain. Can be used with any eating plan.

Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink--fascinating studies about what in our environment stimulates eating--and how to use this information to modify our environment.

I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but if I have several self-help books stacked up by the side of my bed, it's usually a sign that I'm obsessing! A signal to back off on the reading and do something active.

Soon2BFitChick
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, yes, she is way outdated now but I read her book a few years after it came out. Susan Powter's Stop the Insanity and the one after it. I think there is another one too..?? Anyway, go read it. Everyone. It tells you that you don't have to drown yourself in water to lose, just when you do drink, try to always drink water, drink it more than you used to, etc. She also says eat as much as you want of allowable type foods, veggies, grains, all with sauces like soy, bbq, steak sauce, etc. So you won't be hungry. But you are still eating healthy.

She has a great analogy about ball point pens. She says if someone told us we couldn't have them .. then slowly we would become obsessed with obtaining them, stealing them, hiding them, using them in secret, etc. Anything you package up with a big pretty bow and say don't touch, then we want it. So when we do that with sweets, etc. it sabotages us because human nature makes us want what we can't have. So let yourself have a set amount of chocolate or whatever but don't eat a plate of chocolate for dinner. :)

I like this thread. I'm going to look for more books I need to get on here. :cp:

Thanks, Selina

rockinrobin
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but if I have several self-help books stacked up by the side of my bed, it's usually a sign that I'm obsessing! A signal to back off on the reading and do something active.

In the 20+ years that I was obese, I actually don't recall reading a single, solitary "weight-loss" book. That began well after I hit my goal weight. Now that I've gotten to where I want to be, I find it interesting to hear other perspectives on and it helps to keep weight loss and health on the forefront of my mind.

But I do get your point. All the reading in the world isn't going to get the "job done". It's putting those thoughts, ideas and strategies into play.

Fressca
06-29-2009, 02:28 PM
no need to be embarrassed! Let's hear em? I hope to become a weight loss book junkie! Thanks for the books so far everyone. :)

So I combed through my bookshelves and, in no particular order, here's a sampling:dizzy: In my defence, most of these were bought at the second-hand bookstore...;)

The Thin Commandments/Gullo
South Beach Diet/Agatston
New Rules of Lifting for Women
The Eat Clean Diet/Tosca Reno
The Eat Clean Workout/Tosca Reno
The GI Diet
Potatoes Not Prozac
Foods That Cause You to Lose Weight: The Negative Calorie Effect/Barnard
Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat/ Moriyama
The MacDougall Program
The Metabolism System/Landry
Eat to Trim/Vedral
Eat More to Weigh Less/Ornish
Thin Within/Halliday
Dine Out and Lose Weight/Montignac
Your Fat is Not Your Fault/Simontacchi
Skinny B****/Freedman & Barnouin
Thin Tastes Better/Gullo
Life is Hard, Food is Easy/Linda Spangle
Laurel Mellin/The Solution
The Zone/Barry Sears
Feed the Fat, Burn the Muscle/Tom Venuto
All the “Fit or Fat” series/Covert Bailey
The Aitkens Diet and Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution
Protein Power/The Eades
Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet
Pritikin Diet
Thin So Fast/Dr. Eades
Thin for Life/Anne Fletcher
When You Eat at the Refrigerator Pull Up a Chair/Geneen Roth
Such a Pretty Fat/Jen Lancaster
Dr. Phil’s Ultimate Weight Loss Solution
YOU – On a Diet/Dr. Oz
SuperFoods RX/Stephen Pratt
Secrets of a Former Fat Girl/Lisa Delaney
Strong Women Stay Slim/Dr Miriam Nelson
Body for Life/Bill Phillips
Stop the Insanity/ Susan Powter

ETA: My current favs are The Thin Commandments and The South Beach Diet. Covert Bailey just makes sense. Didn't like Skinny B**** too much. Such a Pretty Fat was a really entertaining read.

WhitePicketFences
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I haven't read that many; I am trying to get my hands on some popular library books like In Defense of Food.

I did enjoy French Women Don't Get Fat, for what it is -- I mean, it was cheesy in the way you'd think, and it is for people who need to lose a lot less than I'm doing (just "take the stairs" once in awhile, etc). But I took some comfort out of it -- like that it's not freaky or anorexic to have a yogurt and a peach for lunch on a leisurely day. Just that things don't have to be big ... and in fact, shouldn't fill up a plate. Helped my mindset in a healthy way and I appreciate that.

WhitePicketFences
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, and I'd love more podcast recommendations. Going to look up the Inside Out one.

Hello Nurse
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I loved Skinny B. I have been vegetarian on and off my entire adult life, but this was the book that helped me go all the way! I am happily meat free and decreasing the amounts of egg and dairy, but not quite vegan yet. It is a process. I re-read this book whenever I am feeling sorry for myself or internally whining about not having meat.

Nuxmaga
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
In the 20+ years that I was obese, I actually don't recall reading a single, solitary "weight-loss" book. That began well after I hit my goal weight. Now that I've gotten to where I want to be, I find it interesting to hear other perspectives on and it helps to keep weight loss and health on the forefront of my mind.

But I do get your point. All the reading in the world isn't going to get the "job done". It's putting those thoughts, ideas and strategies into play.

Actually, reading is a lot more helpful to me now than it used to be. I used reading self-help books(of all kinds, not just weight loss) as a way to confirm my sense of being "broken"--that I needed fixing. I've done a lot of work on realizing I'm not permanently broken or defective, that I can change and heal. And with my OCD, reading was a way to ward off anxiety of obsessive thoughts about needing to do things perfectly. It's a relief to be able to go ahead and try some of the things in books, and learn to tolerate the anxiety that I wasn't doing it perfectly.

Fox
06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I didn't like Skinny B****, all I got from that book was how disgusting it is to be fat and how horrible it is to consume animal products and if you're fat you're weak and gross. No thank you!

VickieLou
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
The Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook.
The Beck Diet Solution.
The Complete Beck Diet For Life.

By Julith Beck.

FutureFitChick
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I haven't read that many; I am trying to get my hands on some popular library books like In Defense of Food.

I did enjoy French Women Don't Get Fat, for what it is -- I mean, it was cheesy in the way you'd think, and it is for people who need to lose a lot less than I'm doing (just "take the stairs" once in awhile, etc). But I took some comfort out of it -- like that it's not freaky or anorexic to have a yogurt and a peach for lunch on a leisurely day. Just that things don't have to be big ... and in fact, shouldn't fill up a plate. Helped my mindset in a healthy way and I appreciate that.

WhitePicketFences: I was a little disappointed to read the author talk about how easy losing weight was by just being more active, unless you have more than 30 pounds to lose. Overall, I enjoyed the book and it made sense to me intuitively, but that limitation really took the wind out of my sails.

Actually, reading is a lot more helpful to me now than it used to be. I used reading self-help books(of all kinds, not just weight loss) as a way to confirm my sense of being "broken"--that I needed fixing. I've done a lot of work on realizing I'm not permanently broken or defective, that I can change and heal. And with my OCD, reading was a way to ward off anxiety of obsessive thoughts about needing to do things perfectly. It's a relief to be able to go ahead and try some of the things in books, and learn to tolerate the anxiety that I wasn't doing it perfectly.

Nuxmaga, I think you put this really well. Growing up, most of my non-fiction reading has been surrounding weight loss, organization, self-confidence, depression, ADD, etc. But, I am slowing beginning to see that everyone has their own struggles. Maybe if I learn to live with mine and do the best I can rather than trying to fight against myself all of the time, it might find a good deal more peace in my life.

Alana in Canada
06-30-2009, 04:28 PM
A few I have found helpful:
The Four Day Win by Martha Beck. A book about re-training your mind. thought it a bit "new-agey" for me personally, but the ideas were intriguing.

I'm currently reading The Longevity Diet by Brian Delaney and Lisa Walford. They are advocates of calorie restriction. I'm not sure I ever want to do that--but they do know their food! They made the distinction between satiety and fullness for me which I'd never thought about before.

And I love Dr. Andrew Weil: Eight Weeks to Optimum Health. It's just so sensible and intelligent. It's the first book that really motivated me to want to become healthy.

The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene. Another one of those sensible books. I have actually based my weight loss plan on his program in this book.

There was a video a few years back by Oprah called "Make the Connection." It was fairly inspirational as well.

Thanks for this thread. I'm making library requests like crazy!

Nuxmaga
07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Nuxmaga, I think you put this really well. Growing up, most of my non-fiction reading has been surrounding weight loss, organization, self-confidence, depression, ADD, etc. But, I am slowing beginning to see that everyone has their own struggles. Maybe if I learn to live with mine and do the best I can rather than trying to fight against myself all of the time, it might find a good deal more peace in my life.

Learning to recognize the critical voice(s) in my head, and writing them down, and seeing how it's all nested together has been crucial. The whole, "I shouldn't have eaten that. What is wrong with me? I must be a failure, and that means I am worthless. Oh, wait, I am judging myself. I need to stop doing that--why do I keep doing that? What is wrong with me?" and so on and so on. It's hard, but I'm finding more compassion for myself--and peace--I hope you continue on that road as well!

murphmitch
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I have all the Covert Bailey "Fit or Fat" books and I still refer back to them for reference on body fat composition and assessments. I've read all of the South Beach Books. Also Gina Kolata "Rethinking Thin" and "The Low GI Diet Revolution". I love Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories". It really opens your eyes up to the faulty assumptions that bad research can make and what it takes to change the conventional wisdom out there. I really want to read "The Longevity Diet" after watching Oprah on Tuesday. Not a diet book, but has anyone read "Deadly Feast"? Makes you want to grow your own produce and raise your own livestock. A real eye opener. Love all the "You" series by Dr. Oz. I also like anything by Dr. Pamela Peeke (Fight Fat after Forty) and Dr. Andrew Weil.

GypsyLove
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! I have a good one lol! Chicken Soup for the Dieter's soul! Reall awesome book full of personal stories to motivate you. The only other thing I'm currrently reading every day to motivate me would be 3FC's of course! :)

Smiling_Sara
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
So, I'm about 50 pages into Skinny B*tch. It's entertaining so far. Not sure I agree with everything they have said, but it is interesting, and will most certainly make me think more about what I"m putting into my mouth.

Smiling_Sara
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Bumping for more books!

I was listening to a radio show, they had a Dr Kessler on who talked about his book, The End Of Overeating. It seems very interesting and has been added to my list. Anyone read it here? What did you think of it? Link below should follow you to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating-Insatiable-American-Appetite/dp/1605297852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249525512&sr=8-1

HungryHungryHippo
08-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I just finished a memoir called The Hungry Years: Confessions of a Food Addict. Pretty good.

HotWings
08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I didn't see anyone mention:

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women by James Villepigue

The others I have read have been mentioned! :)

LisaF
08-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised that no one's mentioned Geneen Roth. Her books aren't about dieting per se, but about approaching food and eating in a healthy way. "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating" and "Feeding the Hungry Heart" really helped me to start changing the way I handle food and emotional eating. It's been a while since I've read them, and I do remember that they had annoying bits, but there were enough gems that I would absolutely recommend them. The other book of hers that I've read, and the one I pull out more often, is, "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy (When You Feel Anything But)". Because she's been there, her advice is realistic and down-to-earth, and I usually find something in there to put a smile on my face. I don't agree with everything she says, but the way she writes makes me feel like I don't have to. I don't get an "all or nothing" feeling from her books the way I do from some other diet/eating books.

Lisa

wanting2b140
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs.... She lost 200 pounds using her Brain Change theory! Awesome self reflective book!

wanting2b140
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
...not sure if someone said that or not as I didn't go thru all the passed posts.

wanting2b140
08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Also... Need to Know Basics on Dieting was good. It helped me learn more about reading labels and how the body actually works with food. Understanding all that really helped realize what I was doing wrong and what I could do to help!

wanting2b140
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Any other insight on Skinny B**ch?? I have heard tons about this book and am wondering if I should read it....hmmm?

caliyah
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
retrain your brain reshape your body
the gabriel method

great read!

jayjay77
08-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I have Skinny B**ch in the Kitch which is more of a cookbook. I am not a vegan but wanted to incorporate more vegan recipes into my diet.

I also like the Bill Phillips Body for Life and Eating for Life books.

I did not like the French Women ... book because I made one of the recipes and it was horrible and I'm usually a pretty good cook.

Devsmama
08-07-2009, 09:08 AM
the bible.

Smiling_Sara
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Any other insight on Skinny B**ch?? I have heard tons about this book and am wondering if I should read it....hmmm?

it's actually a pretty quick read. It's interesting. Makes you think. I do think they are kinda "over the top" but it's still an interesting read. And I think the girls are funny.

bubbins11
08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I just want to thank everyone for these great book ideas! Perfect way to use a Barnes & Noble gift card! :)

NiteNicole
08-08-2009, 12:16 AM
I loved Neris and India's Idiot Proof Diet. I'll never be a very successful low carb dieter due to the whole aversion to meat (and cooking it) thing but it was such a fun book and I really makes me feel like weight loss is possible and attainable everytime I pick it up. I keep it in my desk for a little boost. It's fun and it makes the me feel really really positive about dieting...like it's a choice and not this big horrible hardship. There's a good deal of very basic mental stuff and motivational stuff too that, for whatever reason, really just speaks to me.

emileigh
08-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I have the book "When You Eat at the Refrigerator , Pull Up a Chair." I bought it at a time when I wasn't truly ready to take on the challenge of losing weight. Now that I am, I am going to take it off the shelf and read it.

SunshineCA
08-08-2009, 02:54 PM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:AwwnT-6Vg5pITM:http://totallydiet.com/images/sbebook.gif :)

Stella
08-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Jason Vale: Slim for Life

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juice-Masters-Slim-Life-Freedom/dp/0007133030

Awsome, awsome, awsome!

I have suffessfully stopped smoking with Allan Carr`s "Stop Smoking", and this book applies the same principles for putting you off processed foods.

mygritsconfessions
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Jillian Michaels, Master Your Metabolism

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! This books has helped me nip my cravings with balancing my hormones, and made me much, much healthier. Love it!

kisskisskill
08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I have never read any weight loss books. I love reading, so maybe it would be something else to help keep me motivated.

Added a few of these to my list of books to check out! :)

HungryHungryHippo
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
I just finished "Thin Is the New Happy." I was really looking forward to it, but found it boring and drawn-out. I'm reading "The Urban Hermit" right now, which concerns a guy on a diet, and is hilarious. Can't wait for Frank Bruni's "Born Round."

gardenerjoy
08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Okay, folks, I just maxed out my holds at the library!

Here are two books I didn't see mentioned yet.

Food Matters by Mark Bittman. It covers the same issues that Michael Pollan wrote about In Defense of Food, but written by a cook. So, more detailed about wht to actually eat than Pollan was.

Finally Thin! by Kim Bensen. The first part is a memoir of her 200+ weight loss. The second part is a structure for weight loss that can be used with any plan (informed by her experience as a WW instructor). The third part is recipes. The recipes use more artificial ingredients than I'm comfortable with, so I ignored them, but the rest of the book was inspiring.

BornToFly: I just finished The End of Overeating by Dr. Kessler and found it helpful. Nothing that new maybe, but put all together, I got this message: The food industry has carefully conditioned me to eat the way I do; I will need to painstakingly recondition myself in order to eat the way I want. He's a bit short on details of how to do that, so I'm picking up other books that are strong on behavior modification.

Diva
08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
i browsed the skinny b*tch book. i didnt read the whole thing, but i did read the chapter on not drinking milk. i little too much 'tough love' if you ask me. i dont need to spend 15 bucks to be berated about being fat. i can get that for free in the outside world.
Wow, think I'll pass on that one!

Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck--lots of good stuff about sabotaging thoughts that contribute to weight gain. Can be used with any eating plan.

I've heard good things about that one, I shd pick it up!

I didn't like Skinny B****, all I got from that book was how disgusting it is to be fat and how horrible it is to consume animal products and if you're fat you're weak and gross. No thank you!

Whoa! Again, I won't be getting that book! Wow...

I have several unread Diet & Fitness books on my bookshelf that I am ashamed to admit I have yet to crack, one being YOU on a Diet, but I will get to all of them. Just this weekend I've cracked open (again) Bob Harper's, Are You Ready! and I have to say so far I am loving it and I am not finding it so "emotionally" hard to get through as I once had. Also, not a book, but I LOVE reading the Fitness magazine because of all the helpful articales and inspiration I get from it. :)

thisisnotatest
08-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I thought thin commandments had good points but I found his rigid stance on his particular diet very off putting. He advocates a highly processed diet trading nutrient dense food for low fat or artificially sweentened foods that are lower in calories.
I don't want to eat fat free hot dogs and fat free cheese (american cheese no less)
And what does he have against red bell peppers :)

Just a heads up to those that try to avoid plans that have a lot of 'you must eat this cracker, etc'. That really sets off my inner rebel.

That aside, if you scrap the actual 'diet' I think what he has to say has a lot of value. I personally just struggled with focusing on the good while trying to ignore his obsession with laughing cow cheese. :)

Smiling_Sara
09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
just giving this a kind bump. Would love to get some more books. Been in a rut the last few weeks and need something to get me going again. What books have you read that made you go WOW when it comes to health and weight loss

Alana in Canada
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not reading "diet" books anymore--my "diet" is the way I plan to eat the rest of my life (with a little more chocolate thrown in, basically, once I'm in maintenance).

A book I got out of the library which I plan to buy (and that happens maybe 3x a year) is Food Matters. by Mark Bittman. He lays out a fantastic blueprint for eating whole, unporcessed foods--including a meal plan, how to stock the pantry and cook all kinds of healthy foods.

On the "real life motivation" side I really enjoyed Passing for Thin by Frances Kuffle. She's an amazing writer and even though I have not been fat since childhood, I identified with a lot of what she had to say about trying to adjust to the world as a "normal" person. It was amazing.

This is a fantastic thread--just start reading, you'll find some gems of your own!

kellost
09-22-2009, 06:00 PM
What initially taught about weight loss was Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution a few years back. Then I kinda moved on to Dr. Oz's You On A Diet.

Cookbooks that are helping me are ones by Kathleen Daelmans, Devin Alexander (from the Biggest Loser), Elie Krieger, and also a subscribtion to Healthy Cooking magazine. Also, I love Rachael Ray, so I try to convert some of her recipes into healthier ones by using a bit less EVOO.

stargzr
09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I just have to jump in and defend the skinny ***** book. I think it depends on your personality as to whether or not you will like it. I actually LOVED it! I re-read it every now and then. Yes, it does promote a vegan lifestyle... but it doesn't force it on you. One thing you must be prepared for is the very thick sarcasm and straight-forwardness of the book. I am a very sarcastic person and respond better to people when they are just upfront and honest with me. I saw this book in a small book store, thought that's a weird title, picked it up and read the first few sentences only. I fell in love and HAD to have it!!! I bought it, of course, and read it in two sittings. :D I love to read and these ladies just had me going the whole time. I found it highly entertaining and recommend it to anyone who can take that kind of talk.
If you're looking into buying it, I would suggest you pick it up and read a page or so first. If it's not your cup of tea, you will know right away. However, you could be like me and just love it!!!

Smiling_Sara
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm bumping this to get ideas for Christmas and give ideas for Christmas. :)

MissVitality
12-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I absolutely love A.J Rochester "Confessions of a Reformed Dieter" (http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Reformed-Dieter-Dropped-Eight/dp/0099471493/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261520288&sr=8-16). A.J is now the host of the Australian version of The Biggest Loser. Her story inspires me so much and is full of laugh-out-loud moments. I have read and re-read this book. Her follow up guide "The Lazy Girl's Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Fit" (http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Guide-Losing-Weight-Getting/dp/1863255168/ref=pd_sim_b_1) is also worth a look and is full of sensible advice.

One of the books that helped kick start my weight loss journey is "Only Fat People Skip Breakfast" (http://www.amazon.com/Only-Fat-People-Skip-Breakfast/dp/0007176996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261520491&sr=1-1) by Lee Janogly. Straight talking and brilliantly simple but sometimes you just need someone to give you a good kick up the backside! Again, this is a book I have turned back to time and time again.

arumaru
12-23-2009, 02:03 AM
"Fat Families Thin Families"

This book really spoke to me, because I feel like I was "raised to be fat". I'm not one of those people who was thin at one point and got pregnant, got married, aged, etc and gained weight. Losing weight to me means changing most of the lifestyle habits I was raised with, and having a new perspective on life. The book talks extensively about nutrition and exercise but it also denounces diets, gimmicky weight loss schemes and it talks a lot about the psychology of "fat families". Most families like this (including mine) are in denial about their habits, and how they are risking their children with diseases, conditions, depression and social stigma, because they refuse to accept the reality of their situation and change. This book inspired me to lose weight and to make sure that I don't raise my own (future) children the same way that my parents raised me.

I also want to read "Mindful Eating" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Total Nutrition". I think losing weight is mostly psychological, so I like to read books about the psychology of weight loss/health. I also want to learn more factual information about nutrition, because I admit that I am not that educated about it. Most diet/weight loss books are not worth the paper they are printed on. Most promote some kind of diet, product or gimmick. I actually think the diet industry in general helps people advance one step, only to go back two steps. A lot of people think it is impossible to lose weight because they've tried so many diets and have become so demoralized with them, failing one after another. I also think this trend of books with titles like "Skinny B*tches and How to Be Like Them" and "What Skinny Woman Know That You Don't Know" are very aggravating. I have thin friends who have been thin all their lives, and most of them dislike being called skinny constantly. The women who write those books try very hard to be skinny, and are very self-righteous and condescending about it. I also dislike Oprah/Dr Phil type of books... it's complete nonsense to me. I don't like being talked down to when I read books.

MoveMoveMove
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Just picked this up hardcover new at B&N website for $5.38

Onederchic
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Wanted to bump this awesome thread :D

Smiling_Sara
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Wanted to bump this awesome thread :D

:high:

I'm reading The weight loss diaries by Courtney Rubin. http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Diaries-Courtney-Rubin/dp/0071416234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280714429&sr=8-1

Onederchic
08-01-2010, 10:15 PM
:high:

I'm reading The weight loss diaries by Courtney Rubin. http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Diaries-Courtney-Rubin/dp/0071416234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280714429&sr=8-1

I also made a request for it to be a sticky, so fingers crossed :D :hug:

Cglasscock1
08-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Super good thread!
I have a tower of books beside my bed and many of them are diet books. I often pick up books at discount stores and am surprised when many of them are actually good. One of these is "Winning After Losing" by Stacey Halprin.
She offers great advice on maintenance and uses her story of losing 350 pounds and keeping it off. A very down to earth book. Another discount book that I found fascinating is "Gaining, The Truth About Life After Eating Disorders" by Aimee Liu. A great read and very illuminating.

I just finished "Break Through Your Set Point" by George Blackburn, M.D., Ph.D. His theory is that the success is achieved by losing 10% of your weight, taking a long break, and then losing more. Strangely, that is exactly the way my weight loss journey has ended up due to life circumstances.

I second both of the Beck Diet Solution books and Dr. Phil's "The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution." Also on my stack: "You on a Diet," by Michael; F.Roizen, M,D. which was a New York Times Bestseller when it came out.
In the past, I've also gotten good info from Stephen Gullo's books and from Geneen Roth.
I read everything with an open mind, sucking up bits and pieces as I go to put together my own wierd construct of what I believe about this subject!

serendipity907
08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters by Courtney E Martin helped me understand my body and mind a lot better. I could really relate to some of the chapters in it.

Here's an excerpt from it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjsYAZAJJI

MrsDawsondn
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Mindless Eating, why we eat more than we think - Brian Wansink
Look good, feel great - Joyce meyer
The weigh down diet
The complete idiots guide to running/jogging - Bob somebody I can't remember his last name LOL

I have too many books to admit but i cannot think of any others at the moment sorry.

carolr3639
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens.

Belinda0509
09-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Geneen Roth's book, When Food is Love, spoke volumes to me. I highlighted so much in this book and even wrote in the margins. I would highly recommend it.

Jared Fogel's book, Jared, the Subway Guy: Winning Through Losing: 13 Lessons for Turning Your Life Around, was very motivational for me. It was a quick, easy read, but something about it motivated me into wanting to lose weight more than any other book I've read on this topic.

AuntBea
09-18-2010, 07:27 AM
I haven't read books like these. I did read a memoir titled Fat Girl that was quite moving and beautifully written. I wish I could say it was THE thing that ultimtately got me on "the path" again to get to a healthy weight, but it didn't.

I've gotten inspired from recipes.

I'm posting here to ask if anyone has read the Paul McKenna book (and tape)? Someone on 3FG posted about it, but I can't recall who or where. I'm wondering about it.

Smiling_Sara
09-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm re-reading Diary of a Fat Housewife by Rosemary Green. http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Fat-Housewife-Story-Heart-Break/dp/0446602817/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285263631&sr=8-1

First read it when I was about 16. Glad I kept it to re-read. Very motovational book, and a good look on the struggles of losing weight, but ultimitley knowing it truely is possible!

Jojo381972
09-25-2010, 11:35 PM
There are some really great book ideas on this thread! :)

I liked the G.I diet by Rick Gallop. The book is based on the Glycemic index and is really good for losing weight. The book was recommended by a diabetic friend of mine.
more here: http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Diet-Rick-Gallop/

Perfect Health: The Complete Mind/Body Guide (2001) is another book that I really enjoyed. Deepak Chopra looks at the mind/body connection and how we can become healthy through living in tune with nature and other alternative healing paths.
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health-Complete-Revised-Updated/dp/0609806947/ref=sr_1_8?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285471820&sr=8-8

Smiling_Sara
02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
any new books out there? making a book trip today.

DianaG
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you for this thread. Many good book suggestions here that I will look into.

The latest one I've read that inspired me is Japanese Women Don't Get Fat or Old. I found it entertaining the way she discusses her weight gain and journey to lose the weight. I enjoyed the recipes in it; although finding some of the ingredients was not easy in my neck of the woods.

spixiet
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for this thread...just put about 10 books on hold at the library :D

reptogirl
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
getting ready to go to the library...so now i got a few ideas on what to look for..and hopefully i can add what i like soon.

Nienna
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
This isn't specifically weight loss related, but it is definitely fitness related. I loved Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. I think it's been out for quite a while now, but I just finished reading it. It's basically about the whys, hows, and whos of distance running. There are a ton of really interesting and well-written anecdotes about running, pulled together by the ongoing story of how the author came to be involved in a 50 mile distance race with some elite American ultrarunners and some elite Raramuri runners in Mexico. Highly recommended. It made me feel like it would be no big deal for me to get up and run for 12 hours. (Not that I've gone and done so!!)

RedPanda
07-26-2011, 05:04 AM
The book that motivated me to stay the course when I first started losing was Fatland: How Americans Became The Fattest People in the World by Bill Critser.

There are a detailed descriptions of the health effects of obesity. The book has its critics and it's a bit dated now, but it just about scared 10 pounds off me! :eek:

singing
07-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Younger Next Year for Women by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge,M.D. Geared towards pre and full menopausal women, it addresses everything about aging which includes weight management, nutrition, exercise and more.The tagline is" Live like you're 50-strong,fit & sexy-Until you're 80 and beyond.
Works for me!

Unthinkables
08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Just checked out Born To Run by Christopher McDougal today. Will keep everyone posted on it's motivation power :D

fatferretfanatic
08-19-2011, 12:17 AM
I posted in another thread pertaining to motivational book and I am not a maintainer yet, but I thought the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal was amazing. As a newbie runner and a person who loves to write, he captivated me with this running adventure story. It's wonderfully written and really motivates me to run, just for the joy of it, because I was born to do it. <3 Great book!

kb11311
08-19-2011, 12:22 AM
the ultimate weight loss solution for teens, (its fine for adults to) it talks alot about the mental part of over eating and weight. also i writen by Dr. Phils son. :) enjoy

baldchocnsexy
09-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Lyle McDonald's "The Ultimate Diet 2.0", "The Ketogenic Diet", and "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook".

RedPanda
09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Lyle McDonald's "The Ultimate Diet 2.0"...

Ooh, The Ultimate Diet 2.0 is very hard-core! It's designed for bodybuilders who want to strip off that last bit of body fat before a competition. It also works well for crazy people.

:devil:

I followed it for six weeks, lost some fat, gained some muscle, and gained some strength. But I'd only recommend it to people who are a) crazy and b) have a lot of free time.

But I did get two great things from it.

1. After I lost weight I was convinced that my metabolism was completely stuffed, that I wouldn't respond to the diet and would blow up like a balloon. I didn't and the diet worked like a charm, confirming that my metabolism is just fine.

2. The "refeed" day, in which you eat refined carbs and lie around coping with the effects of wildly fluctuating blood sugar levels, turned me off white rice, raisin bread and white bagels forever! In fact, I feel slightly ill just thinking about it now.

Lyle McDonald's Guide to Flexible Dieting is also a good resource. It's a commonsense companion to a sensible diet.

baldchocnsexy
09-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooh, The Ultimate Diet 2.0 is very hard-core! It's designed for bodybuilders who want to strip off that last bit of body fat before a competition. It also works well for crazy people.

:devil:

I followed it for six weeks, lost some fat, gained some muscle, and gained some strength. But I'd only recommend it to people who are a) crazy and b) have a lot of free time.

But I did get two great things from it.

1. After I lost weight I was convinced that my metabolism was completely stuffed, that I wouldn't respond to the diet and would blow up like a balloon. I didn't and the diet worked like a charm, confirming that my metabolism is just fine.

2. The "refeed" day, in which you eat refined carbs and lie around coping with the effects of wildly fluctuating blood sugar levels, turned me off white rice, raisin bread and white bagels forever! In fact, I feel slightly ill just thinking about it now.

Lyle McDonald's Guide to Flexible Dieting is also a good resource. It's a commonsense companion to a sensible diet.
Thanks for the insight!

Yes, he states that "12-15 % bodyfat" is a requirement (p. 2). I am at 19.58% so this is the time for me to get educated on the method.

Navigating the many alternative to IP products--$4 a bar!-- has been made easier by reading his texts, and posts from folks like you on this forum.

RedPanda
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:AwwnT-6Vg5pITM:http://totallydiet.com/images/sbebook.gif

That one too. In fact, I just recommended it to someone on another forum.

le506
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
th

le506
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
the thin c

le506
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
urg...

the thin commandments is a great book. I haven't "met" many people who have read it... its probably what most jumpstarted my refund dedication to getting it off

Jojo381972
10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Glad to see this thread is still alive..

These books are geared to people on low carb and diabetics who want to turn their lives around. Also, geared to people who want to change their lives with whole food and losing weight with whole foods. These books also have great recipes in the back of them.

Ultra-Metabolism, The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss, Mark Hyman, M.D, 2006.

The Blood Sugar Solution, The Ultrahealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease and Feeling Great Now, Mark Hyman, M.D, 2012

Wheat Belly, William Davis, M.D, 2011

carolr3639
12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
How To Have Your Cake and Skinny Jeans, Too by Josie Spinardi

slmon
12-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I like Kim Bensen's "Finally Thin." I just wish she had gone into more detail describing her day-to-day-life as she lost weight. Also, she didn't say how many points - or the equivalent in calories - she was consuming as she lost weight. But it is an encouraging read.

gardenerjoy
12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I liked Finally Thin by Kim Bensen, too. One of the things I liked were all the tools where she presents the many options for how to lose weight. What works is different for everyone.

At about the same time, I read The Complete Beck Diet for Life by Judith Beck. The two together really helped me get going on my weight loss journey.

sam70kg
03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Run fat b!tch run - Ruth Field, hilarious, motivating and incredibly useful... for beginning running - this is the best thing i have read to get me moving, and the way she says things just resounds in your brain for months afterwards!!

ahna
03-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck

Why Weight Around? by Dr. Alwin Lewis

GIllian Riley's books

curvynotlumpy
04-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Wow, lots of books I wasn't aware of! I haven't perused this whole thread, so these may have already been listed.

The End to Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by Dr. David Kessler

Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir by Jennette Fulda

Koshka
04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Half-Assed is a great book. I really enjoyed it.

gardengirlkp
05-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Refuse to Regain, by Barbara Berkeley, MD.

40 years of yo-yo dieting ended. Now 2+ years in long term weight maintenance, 70 pounds lost and I went through menopause in the first year of weight maintenance. Never too late!

Wannabehealthy
05-30-2014, 09:16 AM
I can't believe I never saw this thread before! It looks like there are some very interesting choices here. I, too, am a diet book junkie. Sometimes reading through them gives me enough incentive to get back on track! When I am absolutely sure that a book is not the plan for me, I give it away, but recently I have been saving my money and checking them out of the library!

SevenBlue
06-04-2014, 08:44 PM
The Fat Loss Troubleshoot and "Starve Mode" by Leigh Peele are two books that have been very helpful to me as far as getting fit is concerned. I listen to the audiobooks of these titles at times when I'm exercising, as well.

There are many things in the dieting and fitness world that Leigh has observed through the years and commented upon in these books - since she had loads of experience, it was pretty interesting hearing her perspective.

What I enjoy most about these books are the no-nonsense, void of hype, very specific ideas put forward for the reader to consider, with her reasons as to why she has come to certain conclusions at the mo' - love that part, the why. This suits my personality just fine.

While I don't agree with her about everything, I have learned, and relearned, much from these books.