Weight Loss Support - How far have you come?

View Full Version : How far have you come?

Wannabeskinny
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
How has your life changed since you began your healthy lifestyle? I'm 6 weeks in, have lost 22lbs and I never thought I would be doing so well. My life has changed in 6 short weeks and counting.

- my knee doesn't hurt anymore!!!
- I can do floor exercises because my knee doesn't hurt anymore!
- I began at 20min tennis, now am up to 60!
- I walk everywhere where before it seemed like such a drag.
- I sleep better
- I can do more high impact exercise because my knee doesn't hurt anymore!
- I have more energy than I know what to do with.

PS - did I mention that my knee doesn't hurt anymore??:carrot:

mamaspank
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I wear dresses again, love to shop, and wear my hair down all the time. I am faster, more efficient, and have much more endurance. I wish I could say losing weight has helped me sleep better, but I have so much energy that I still have to have sleeping aids.

Watercolor
06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I sleep better.
My knee doesn't hurt anymore. (is there an echo in here?)
My feet hurt less.
Less ankle swelling.

kittycat40
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I want to wear pretty clothes.
I feel comfortable in big groups of people.
I can run with my children.
I feel good about being a good role model for healthy eating and fitness.

Thx! This has given me a real boost :)

And congrats to everyone on choosing to make healthy changes. It is sooo worth it :):):)

DCHound
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
It would literally take me days to write down all the UTTERLY FANTASTIC life changes this weight loss has brought about. Here are a few highlights:

When I look down, there’s no double chin making me uncomfortable. In fact it used to be so bad I could feel it whenever I sat down even if I was looking straight ahead. It made me feel very unattractive. That baby is GONE.

I can bound up and down stairs effortlessly. I used to have to hold onto the handrail and literally HAUL myself up. Or grasp the handrail and the wall on the other side and EASE myself down ~ at 370 lbs, going down was harder and more painful than going up, believe it or not. I used to plan my days out so I could limit trips up/down stairs as much as possible.

I can sit anywhere. This includes the short kindergarten chairs. I can sit in the rotating chairs in the McDonald’s dining room. I can sit in a booth at TGI Friday’s. I can sit in the BACKSEAT of a TWO-DOOR car ~ and I can get in and out gracefully!!!

I CAN TAKE SHOWERS INSTEAD OF BATHS. Before, I would get so tired from standing and trying to balance in a slippery shower, with no safety rails to hold onto, that I would be worn-out and sweaty at the end of a shower. So for 4 years I only took baths and HATED staying overnight with friends or relatives because “normal people take showers,” and I would force myself to take them when I only felt secure taking baths. After I lost the first 50 lbs I tried taking a shower ~ I was a bit shaky but OK. Now, though, I can take a shower OR a bath, whichever…! It doesn’t matter, six of one half-a-dozen of another.

I CAN UPLOAD CURRENT PHOTOS OF ME ON FACEBOOK AND TAG THEM. When I joined Facebook in 2007 the profile photo I uploaded was 5 years old, back from when I was “thin” (less fat). I didn’t post a current photo of me on that thing til November 2008. It took me about 35-40 shots to get ONE that didn’t look enormous. Since about April of this year though, I finally lost enough weight that I started looking like a (large) average size…at first I would only post and tag face shots but now I post and tag FULL BODY SHOTS. If you look down at my ticker I weigh in at just over 260, which sounds like a lot at 5’8, but a lot of it is muscle, and I’m physically smaller than my best friend who is 2 inches taller and 70 lbs lighter than me…most people think I weigh around 200 lbs.

When I was 370 lbs I was depressed and miserable. I wore worn-out tennis shoes, sweats, no makeup, bathed every other day, kept my hair in a ponytail…in short I felt awful and because of it I looked awful. Now, I feel 10 million times better and it shows. Hair, nails, tan, makeup, FABULOUS clothes, shoes, handbag…the works. And boy what a difference. I posted elsewhere that I was at the airport yesterday and got on an elevator with an airline pilot (older, but HAWT) and he WINKED at me. ME?!?! It’s because I feel great because I look great, and when you know you look great, you project a totally different aura.

And literally millions and millions of other things…but these were some of the biggies.

If any chickies are reading this and have been thinking about maybe starting a lifestyle change (don’t call it a diet!) but are on the fence…DO IT!!! So so SO many wonderful positive changes await you. It will be a TOTAL LIFE MAKEOVER!!!

If you don’t feel like you can sustain a lifestyle change and that’s keeping you from starting it . . . JUST PRETEND! PRETEND YOU CAN DO IT…BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! And pretty soon you won’t be pretending anymore.

Anyone can do this. ANYONE!!!!

(I cannot WAIT to read what Robin posts, BTW-LOL)

merose
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
wow DCHound! what a positive message! I feel really good after reading that. :)

DCHound
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
You should ~ look at your stats. You are doing it!!!

Remy Anna
06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Well I haven't been doing this long, but I've lost 10 pounds so far. I know it's not very much, but every journey begins with one step. My body just feels better now that I'm not eating junk food and I've increased my water intake. When I fix a meal, I feel better sitting down to it because I know it's healthy and I don't feel guilty about eating anymore. I can also eat less and be satisfied. Not too long ago I would just eat and eat and it was like I could never be satisfied, and even though I knew I shouldn't eat the whole pint of ice cream I would and then within an hour or two I'd be thinking of what else I could find to eat. Thank God now that as I said I eat less and I'm satisfied, so that is what I have gained from this life style change. My body just feels better period and that means so much to me.

munchievictim
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Agreeing with Remy--I do not want to sit and eat an entire carton of ice cream...most days. Today I had two spoonfuls and put it back and have ignored it since. Wish we didn't have it in the house, but I live with grandparents and can't ask them to change their ways just because I'm changing mine. I consider it an exercise in willpower.
I jogged today for five minutes, when 30 seconds used to wear me out until I couldn't breathe. I went slightly off plan and saw a (mostly water) gain on the scale after the weekend, but jumped right back on board today instead of using my high scale number as an excuse to "eat whatever I want because it doesn't matter anyway".
I can feel my triceps! and see them, if I flex them.

Other than that, I simply feel better about myself, about my choices and about my life. I'm not very far along yet, but ever since the beginning of this year I have curtailed my -eating with blind, wild abandon- to the point where it only happens perhaps once every couple of weeks, sometimes less. Even when I'm not necessarily 'on plan,' I don't feel the urge to sit in my kitchen and devour every single carb available to me late into the night while zoned out on the tv to ignore what I'm doing.
I'm an impatient person and have often focused on "lose all the weight you can right now; GO!" and I supposed I've expected to see significant changes in two or three weeks, which of course I never have--but during these periods I would grow quickly bored if I didn't go from a size 16 to a size 4 (which I've never been in my life) and just act like what I was doing wasn't working and it was useless and there was something wrong with me where i couldn't lose the weight so I might as well just eateateat.
The truth is, each time I've set myself to eating healthy and gotten a few weeks under my belt, the results are obvious. My body adapts quickly to the healthy lifestyle and exercise (as it should, i'm only 19~!) and becomes almost immediantly more flexible and in shape. I am trying to step back and see these small marks of progress as forward motion on the weight loss track, because I know that overtime they will be more beneficial than a month of near-starvation and a quickly lost and regained 20lbs.

*P.S. DCHound--you are SUCH an inspiration! Way to go babe.

Wannabeskinny
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
You ladies are such inspiration to me. My hubby is skinny and eats very healthy so he doesn't understand my eating disorder and weight issues - he's very supportive of course but he doesn't really get it.

On course!

sindy9001
06-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Thank you for share here. It sounds everybody here are happy.

Idealmuse
06-23-2009, 02:49 AM
There are tons of things but here are a few big ones:

- I was sedentary with little to no exercise and NO energy. Now I'm a triathlete with sites on the half ironman next summer. I would have never imagined I'd do one, and I'm about to do my third Oly distance in Aug.

- I can shop in normal stores. Sure I need the largest size, but who cares!

- I actually don't mind exercise now and some days like it. I used to Haaaattttttte it, avoid it as much as possible.

- I don't freak out when someone pulls out a camera and hide.

Lots more but it's past bed time.

flatiron
06-23-2009, 03:15 AM
my knees and ankles don't hurt as much anymore

I don't get back aches all the time

I can stand longer than 30 mins. now without having to sit down

My lower leg edema is almost gone.

My BP is down 10 points

and the best thing is ... I have two pairs of pants now I can fit into now that I haven't been able to fit in at all in almost two years! LOL! :carrot:

Rainbow
06-23-2009, 04:07 AM
I can look in the mirror without crying at how bad I look :)
I don't avoid photographs anymore (though still don't like them)
I can eat one or two pieces of chocolate instead of the whole lot :carrot:
I have a lot more energy
Sleeping better
Generally feel happier and a little more confident
Fitting into some old clothes again :)

Glad your knees stopped hurting :) Hasn't made any difference to how much my ankle hurts so far :(

thinpossible
06-23-2009, 04:54 AM
At first I read this thread, but didn't post a reply because I don't have much measurable progress yet. I haven't lost much weight, and there aren't a lot of changes so far.

But I think things have changed internally, in my mind. I seem to finally have found an approach that works (working on one area at a time, until I have that particular change down pat) and that feels pretty big to me. I really think that this time I will get to goal, though I won't be winning any races getting there. ;)

And the other big thing is that I have the junk food monkey off my back. I no longer feel hopeless about how I'm going to control it, or desperate to get out from under it's control. So that's a pretty big deal to me.

Jacque9999
06-23-2009, 05:02 AM
I love this thread!!!

My thighs don't rub together
I don't have to lift my hip to put a seat belt on
I am in a size 6...haven't seen that since...ummmm...I don't know when
My sex life is better
I feel GREAT
People tell me I look GREAT
I have more energy
I sleep better
I'm in the 130's...haven't seen that since...ummmm...I don't know when
I'm happier
My arms don't jiggle as much when I wave
It doesn't hurt as much when I wear high heels

That's a start!!!!

Wannabeskinny
06-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I love this thread!!!

It doesn't hurt as much when I wear high heels

That's a start!!!!

Really???? I'm soooooo looking forward to that!!

Niecy
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh, I LOVE the one about the thighs not rubbing together! My "thigh rub" is has gotten so much better. I noticed it as I was running on the treadmill last night.

Some others are:

I do not have to go heavy on the bronzer to "hollow" out some cheek bones or to conceal/shadow the double chin
I grow happier every single day
I grow stronger every single day
My husband hugs me at least once every hour
My kids are calling me "hot mamma"
My face has a "glow"
Clothes that I bought over a year ago hoping to wear now fit
I am moving faster
I am sleeping better
I am waking up in better moods
I enjoy the treadmill
I LIKE counting my calories and finding new foods; i think apples are my favorite b/c they are good alone or thrown into a salad or baked w/chicken
My butt doesn't look like my moms anymore
I have a waist!
I am starting to feel "normal"
People are noticing

Moralia
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Great thread!!! I've only been doing this for 6 weeks, but I'll say what I've gained...

1. My skin is fabulous! No more breakouts!
2. I'm fitting in jeans that I haven't worn in years!
3. I feel better about myself overall.
4. My "muffin top" is almost gone!!!!! LoL!!!!

Jacque9999
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh, I LOVE the one about the thighs not rubbing together! My "thigh rub" is has gotten so much better. I noticed it as I was running on the treadmill last night.

Some others are:

I do not have to go heavy on the bronzer to "hollow" out some cheek bones or to conceal/shadow the double chin
I grow happier every single day
I grow stronger every single day
My husband hugs me at least once every hour
My kids are calling me "hot mamma"
My face has a "glow"
Clothes that I bought over a year ago hoping to wear now fit but for Jacque it is more like 5 years
I am moving faster
I am sleeping better
I am waking up in better moods
I enjoy the treadmill
I LIKE counting my calories and finding new foods; i think apples are my favorite b/c they are good alone or thrown into a salad or baked w/chicken
My butt doesn't look like my moms anymore
I have a waist!
I am starting to feel "normal"
People are noticing
I'm stealing the ones that are marked in red...just curious about your weight...is 193 your highest? If so, what did you start at in May? A little confusing...but GREAT job on losing the 40 that are gone!!!

Great thread!!! I've only been doing this for 6 weeks, but I'll say what I've gained...
4. My "muffin top" is almost gone!!!!! LoL!!!!
Mine too!!! :carrot::carrot:

Pas de Chaton
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Better... stronger.... faster! (lol, if you're old like me you'll understand the reference)

And yes, my knee no longer hurts. Yay!

Niecy
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Jacquee, steal away! I am just loving seeing all these women (and men but mostly women) here turning their lives around. It is AWESOME to revel in everyone's achievements!

Yes, my start weight was 193. That was in 2004 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Finally in the summer of 2007, I began to lose some weight. I also caught the flu so that took me from 173 to 167, lol. I think I got down to about where I am at now (somewhere between 153-156). Being on the right dose of medication helped, but I worked out a little also. Not as much as I do now though. Eating was also not great then. I wasn't eating nearly as much as I should have and it was all the wrong foods.

Some of the loss was very short-lived though. My thyroid medication was changed again (for the worse) around February of 2008 and I kept trying to lose the weight but I climbed back up to 166. Starving myself only seemed to make things worse. At the end of April 2009, the doctor put me back on the same dose I was on in 2007.

So since joining here in May 2009, I have lost 13 lbs. by counting every single calorie and working out every day. It has been one back and forth battle the last 5 yrs, but I am FINALLY starting to feel like I did long before the thyroid issue came along.

Jacque9999
06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
So since joining here in May 2009, I have lost 13 lbs. by counting every single calorie and working out every day. It has been one back and forth battle the last 5 yrs, but I am FINALLY starting to feel like I did long before the thyroid issue came along.
That is AWESOME!!! Keep it up!!!:carrot::carrot:

Niecy
06-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you :) And you go on with your 2lbs to go bad self! :hug:

Jacque9999
06-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Jacquee, steal away! I am just loving seeing all these women (and men but mostly women) here turning their lives around. It is AWESOME to revel in everyone's achievements!
Thank you!!!!

Got one more but it's a weird (almost gross one)....I'll put it delicately. There is something that is now a little easier to do when I am in the bathroom!

akacutie
06-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Hello, Hello~:dizzy::dizzy:

I was searching around the forums this morning because I have been feeling less then stoked about my weight loss and my plan for the past 3 weeks or so I keep trying, but I will admit to several unplanned eating incidents and (a binge or two)... I have been looking for something to really motivate me- I read in someone's signature today that It is not about Motivation, but commitment... Which really got me thinking...... I don't need some magic motivation to lose weight.... I just need to do it- :devil:

I really wanted a donut this morning, but instead I had shredded wheat and strawberries-and brought along more strawberries and a green pepper for snacks at work...... Now I didnt' feel like do any of this but I just am-
Thanks for that signature!! :hug:

Now on to what losing 47 lbs has done for me! :) :)
I feel lighter-
I have increased stamina- I can go hard on ellptical for 60 minutes now-
I am stronger! I love seeing how much I can lift @ gym
My clothes are literally falling off!
I ride my bike to work and back (20 minutes each way) and LOVE it!
I am a much better cook now that I have expermenting with new foods-
I can see my feet with out leaning over-
I can tie my shoes without cutting off my air way-
I am becoming more confident in the bedroom too!
I am Happy! :D

Now off to be more commited to my plan so I can get to my mini goal of 199- which is only 2 lbs away right now! :)

Niecy
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Jacquee, yes that has gotten better here too. I didn't really think about it until you said it.

And akacutie, you go on with your 2lbs to go bad self too!

And the confidence in the bedroom thing, that one is a little slower for me. A tiny bit better, but still not quite ready to do a Jamie Lee Curtis from "True Lies" (hope you have seen that bedroom scene with her and Arnold, it is HILARIOUS) but I am on my way.

FutureFitChick
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm an impatient person and have often focused on "lose all the weight you can right now; GO!" and I supposed I've expected to see significant changes in two or three weeks, which of course I never have--but during these periods I would grow quickly bored if I didn't go from a size 16 to a size 4 (which I've never been in my life) and just act like what I was doing wasn't working and it was useless and there was something wrong with me where i couldn't lose the weight so I might as well just eateateat.
The truth is, each time I've set myself to eating healthy and gotten a few weeks under my belt, the results are obvious. My body adapts quickly to the healthy lifestyle and exercise (as it should, i'm only 19~!) and becomes almost immediantly more flexible and in shape. I am trying to step back and see these small marks of progress as forward motion on the weight loss track, because I know that overtime they will be more beneficial than a month of near-starvation and a quickly lost and regained 20lbs.

Munchie - This was really important for me to read. Everytime I start to eat healthy (AKA diet), my attention span decreases for it and I give up faster than the last time. Thank you so much for posting this!

Jacque9999
07-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Okay..so here's another one and I am not so sure it's a good one, not even sure it is because of weightloss. Yesterday while working out, I noticed that my earbuds wouldn't stay in my ears very well. I don't have the white ones that come with an iPod but the kind that go deeper in your ears. All of a sudden they kept slipping. They weren't falling out but they kept moving and got looser and felt like they would fall out.

Could it be possible that I lost weight in my EARS???? I wasn't sweating anymore then usual so it couldn't have been that. And there was no tension on the wire so it wasn't being pulled out. Just thought I would share.

jendiet
07-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, I haven't been doing this a long time, but this thread inspired me. 10 lbs is a big difference! That is 10 lbs of fluff, not muscle. I like looking in the mirror a little more. It feels good that I changed something! My skin is prettier. I have more energy. I am not constantly hungry. I feel more in control and balanced.

time2lose
07-02-2009, 09:50 AM
This is a great thread. It helps my impatience to see how far I have come. I have made significant improvement and am excited about the future!

I feel much better physical, mentally, and emotionally.
My knees don't hurt as much.
I can walk so much better. My life does not revolve around avoiding walking.
I am sleeping better.
I have more energy.
I am more comfortable.
I can get on the floor to play with my grandchildren.
I am not embarrassed to go out in public.
I am more comfortable in the seats at the movies.
I can bend over and pick up anything that I drop.
I can find clothes to wear.
I can wear 18 inch necklaces.
I can go up and down the stairs in my house.

I am sure that I will think of more!

Tracy
07-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I haven't been on it long. But,am noticing healthy changes that are becoming part of my life. I exercise just about very day. B4,iwould sit on the couch all the time. I am also drinking water,which b4,i couldn't stand. I try my best to stay w/in cal.limit.But,if not i don't 4get the whole thing. I keep going. My clothes are fitting looser..I sleep better.My chores around the house are easier.I can't wait for more changes ,as i am on it longer.
:goodluck:to everyone!

Onederchic
07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
July 20th will be a year for me and so far I have lost 130 pounds. I can breathe when I walk. I can walk. I can run. My bouts with insomnia have all but passed. I am calmer. I am happier. I am healthier.

FutureFitChick
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot:That is incredible!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:
:dizzy::dizzy:

Jacque9999
07-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Here is 2 more that I just recently realized.

My hair is healthier and is not falling out like it used to
I don't itch like I used to. All night long I would itch and get woken up by it. No more scratching

Wannabeskinny
07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
My underwear doesn't fit anymore!!! :D

Onederchic
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM

LOL! Same here. I started out in size 12 panties and last week I was able to buy and wear size 7 :D

Jacque9999
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM

That is so funny!!! I wonder if I wore panties that they wouldn't fit anymore either :lol: Probably TMI but I had to say it!!!

RubyGuggenheim
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I've lost about 48 pounds so far. The differences I've noticed (and love!):

-Used to avoid cameras, now I like when my friend take pics of me and post them on facebook

-Used to hate shopping, now I LOVE it!

-Used to be able to run about 60 ft. before I had to walk. Now I can jog two miles without stopping to walk.

-I just feel happy all the time.

It's a wonderful life!

karen530
07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
My clothes from college fit. I don't worry about catching a bit of my reflection in store windows when I walk down the street. My back does not hurt as much. I can run and bike for over 30 minutes (without stopping). I dance argentine tango every week and I like the way I feel when I move. I used to be so uncomfortable with that. I tried to stay still and not attract attention---and now, well now I move and move and move and I feel good.

peccavi
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Here is 2 more that I just recently realized.

My hair is healthier and is not falling out like it used to
I don't itch like I used to. All night long I would itch and get woken up by it. No more scratching

Oh my gosh!! I had no idea anybody else had this problem with the itching. I went to 3 different doctors for it (including an allergy expert) and they couldn't figure out why I was itchy all the time. I tried special lotions, benadryl, NOTHING WORKED!

I've lost 50 pounds to date, and it has gotten so much better. I can fall asleep much easier now, not constantly scratching.

kestrel
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
My knee is feeling a lot better! At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I tried to do the Couch to 5K but had to stop because my knee (injured in college ~15 years ago) was hurting too much. Last night I just restarted karate, and after a 2 hour class (including a very high intensity sparring session), I'm a bit sore today but my knee is fine!

I can shop for clothes in the ladies section and find my size. Shopping is actually an enjoyable experience now, I never thought I would say that!

When I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I don't cringe.

We just got back from a month long road trip (hence why my ticker went back up a few pounds :o ) but I can happily say I'm in all the pictures! After years of hiding from the camera, this is great.