Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #1  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Red Rockets - Week 5 Chat

Time to step it up ladies, me included. For this weeks challenge I propose we each attempt a 1000 calorie deficit per day. This should be achieved by both diet and exercise and realistically result in a 2 lb. loss at the end of the week.

According to this website: http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm

I need to reduce my calories to 1350 per day to lose 1 lb. per week. If I burn an additional 500 calories per day while exercising that is another 3500 calories for an additional 1 lb.

For me an hour on the treadmill at 3.5 with an incline of 8% burns approximately 500 calories.

Remember that we are all different and will not burn calories at the same rate. Do you know how many calories you need per day? Do you know what it takes for YOU to burn 500 calories?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

copied from the old chat thread

I'm up again this week. I really don't understand what is going on. I averaged 1400 calories per day, plus I burned over 6000 calories from exercise over the course of the week. I should have lost 2 pounds, not gained. I did have ham (probably the saltest I've ever eaten) on Sunday, so I could just be bloated from the sodium, but still.

To try and push through this stupid stall I've been in, I think I'm going to try something drastic (well, it is drastic for me). Starting tomorrow I'm going cut as much sodium as possible from my diet. No diet soda, no prepared food, no salty meat. I'll eat Kashi ceral for breakfast, then have chicken breast, rice and veggie (not canned) for lunch and dinner. Hopefully that will help. I desperately want to get out of the 150s before I go on vacation. I may have to consider dropping out of the challenge if I don't start moving in the right direction soon, as I would hate to hold the team back.

I do have a NSV to report, despite my ongoing war with the scale. I went swimming for the first time this year yesterday, and I discovered that my body makeup has totally changed. I've always been able to float easily, I could even put my hands behind my head and cross my legs and just float along for ages like I was on a float. But when I got in yesterday, I sunk! Like straight to the bottom of the pool!! Of course that makes it a bit more difficult to just relax in the pool (going to have to get a float now), but I think that indicates that I've definitely got more muscle mass compared to fat than I did before.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

I'm struggling today... my stupid brother (hate living at home, can't wait to move back out) took my clothes out of the washer last night which is fine since he mentioned it... the problem is, he left them in there wet and didn't turn it on! So, I discovered 25 minutes before my workout and thus didn't have workout clothes. Ended up wearing some shorts that are too big, so that coupled with my annoyance made for a very cruddy workout.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to Planet Fitness tonight post-work and seeing how it is and joining. The gym is no-frills, but for $10 a month, if I can access the cardio equipment and some weights, that works for me.

Well, time to get ready for work. Hopefully, the rest of the day is better than the morning has been. I'm going to go in with a good attitude anyway.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post

I'm up again this week. I really don't understand what is going on. I averaged 1400 calories per day, plus I burned over 6000 calories from exercise over the course of the week. I should have lost 2 pounds, not gained. I did have ham (probably the saltest I've ever eaten) on Sunday, so I could just be bloated from the sodium, but still.

To try and push through this stupid stall I've been in, I think I'm going to try something drastic (well, it is drastic for me). Starting tomorrow I'm going cut as much sodium as possible from my diet. No diet soda, no prepared food, no salty meat. I'll eat Kashi ceral for breakfast, then have chicken breast, rice and veggie (not canned) for lunch and dinner. Hopefully that will help. I desperately want to get out of the 150s before I go on vacation. I may have to consider dropping out of the challenge if I don't start moving in the right direction soon, as I would hate to hold the team back.

I do have a NSV to report, despite my ongoing war with the scale. I went swimming for the first time this year yesterday, and I discovered that my body makeup has totally changed. I've always been able to float easily, I could even put my hands behind my head and cross my legs and just float along for ages like I was on a float. But when I got in yesterday, I sunk! Like straight to the bottom of the pool!! Of course that makes it a bit more difficult to just relax in the pool (going to have to get a float now), but I think that indicates that I've definitely got more muscle mass compared to fat than I did before.
Congratulations on the NSV - muscle takes up less space than fat so even though the scale's not going the direction you want it to that in itself will make you look smaller!

The thing that struck me when I saw your calorie counts vs. exercise was are you getting ENOUGH food to fuel that level of exercise? Is it possible you are throwing your body into starvation mode and causing it to hold onto weight?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
Congratulations on the NSV - muscle takes up less space than fat so even though the scale's not going the direction you want it to that in itself will make you look smaller!

The thing that struck me when I saw your calorie counts vs. exercise was are you getting ENOUGH food to fuel that level of exercise? Is it possible you are throwing your body into starvation mode and causing it to hold onto weight?
I wonder about that too, but I've tried eating more and exercising less, and it didn't change. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, or how much I exercise, I bounce from 154 to 157. High one week, low the next, for three months. I do eat a lot of junk (within my calories, but junk nontheless), so that is why I'm going to try the rice, chicken & veggies for a while.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post
I'm struggling today... my stupid brother (hate living at home, can't wait to move back out) took my clothes out of the washer last night which is fine since he mentioned it... the problem is, he left them in there wet and didn't turn it on! So, I discovered 25 minutes before my workout and thus didn't have workout clothes. Ended up wearing some shorts that are too big, so that coupled with my annoyance made for a very cruddy workout.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to Planet Fitness tonight post-work and seeing how it is and joining. The gym is no-frills, but for $10 a month, if I can access the cardio equipment and some weights, that works for me.

Well, time to get ready for work. Hopefully, the rest of the day is better than the morning has been. I'm going to go in with a good attitude anyway.
Not having my clothes ready and oversleeping were my two big challenges when it came to working out in the morning. (Probably why I no longer try to work out in the morning....I'm really not a morning person.)

$10 a month for a gym membership is a good price, and no-frills works every bit as good as the fancy places. I was paying $39 a month to go to Curves and when I calculated what it was costing me per month vs. the amount of time I was actually using it per month (not much because hours weren't compatible with my work schedule) I decided to let that membership go. We've also been members of 24 Hr Fitness a long time, and I think our membership for that runs about $99 per year.

Hope you have a good day - it definitely sounds like you've got the right attitude and will make it one!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

i use daily plate.com to track my food andi exercise. It has almost all foods in its data base as well as exercises. I do track all my food in a journal but on the screen it tracks it week to week and gives me a realistic calulation of my calorie intake. It will also help you figure out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. it tracks your weight loss ect on charts. i have found it to be a wonderful weight loss tool.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #8  

I'm just ecstatic that I'm down 4 pounds this week! No other words for it....felt better than Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one

On the exercise side I was reading yesterday that exercise from cleaning house is as beneficial as working out at the gym, and I was wondering what you all think about that?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofsix View Post
i use daily plate.com to track my food andi exercise. It has almost all foods in its data base as well as exercises. I do track all my food in a journal but on the screen it tracks it week to week and gives me a realistic calulation of my calorie intake. It will also help you figure out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. it tracks your weight loss ect on charts. i have found it to be a wonderful weight loss tool.
This sounds very similar to fitday.com which I've used in the past and am just starting to use again to watch my carb counts. I haven't tried dailyplate.com, but I'm curious how it compares.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I always try to make sure I'm creating a calories deficit of 1000 calories because I really really want to lose at least 2lbs a week. However I refuse to drive myself crazy trying to figure out my exact calorie burn from exercise. I eat about 1500 calories and exercise( running/walking/weights) 5-6 days a week. Right now but workouts burn between 350-650 but I have no idea how accurate that really is...
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

no change in my weight this week- due to inconsistent exercise. Gearing up to do a run right now.

Hmmm- not sure how many calories I eat in a day ~ 1700+ (based on my weight loss coach & lose it apps on my phone). I try to aim for 300-500 calories burned based on my pedometer, but like Mikayla said- not sure how accurate that is.
Will attempt to do better this week- was derailed Friday with my daughters 9th birthday party.

Cat- thanks for the link- very informative

A plus for this week though was I measured my blood pressure and it was 96/67!!

Last edited by CanadaMel; 06-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #12  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post

Awesome NSV!!! And please don't drop out of the challenge! Just keep tweaking your food and exercise, I'm sure you'll bust through the plateau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerChic View Post

Gotta love brothers! lol
I'll have to see if we have a planet fitness around here. I'd like to go to a gym, but all there is is Balleys and Gold's and I'm sure they're expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
I'm just ecstatic that I'm down 4 pounds this week! No other words for it....felt better than Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one

On the exercise side I was reading yesterday that exercise from cleaning house is as beneficial as working out at the gym, and I was wondering what you all think about that?
yea on your loss!!! Some days I've counted housework and yardwork as my exercise.

Sorry I've not participated much in the chatting this week. Been in a funk since my boys are gone. It's just weird them not being here and I have another week to go til they're back. Stayed the same weight this week, which is good since we went to a graduation party Saturday and I drank blueberry lager and got a bit toasted and was eating homemade pretzels. But went walking sunday and today and mowed today as well and have eaten on plan. Hope everyone is doing well. I'll stay caught up with this week's chatting.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

ugh, I've been struggling too, with mostly my eating. I cant get back into seriously tracking my calories. I'm trying to, today, but its hard with what my husband cooked for dinner, as I have no idea what the calories are. I think I did a pretty good guess, but its hard to say. lol I was happy he cooked dinner, that I didnt want to bug him about the calorie count in it

According to the site posted, its pretty close to what I've read/calculated on other sites, so thats good.
Quote:
You need 2432.5 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 2168.8 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1932.5 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2932.5 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week.

Exercise and Calorie Needs

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2704.3 calories per day and still maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 3044.1 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 2408.9 calories per day.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 2709.1 calories per day.
I cant believe I gained weight this week, I havent lost any actual weight in a few months - I keep gaining and losing the same few lbs! I need to get over that! And I know its mostly my eating thats holding me back.

I'm going running in the AM, so I feel good about that.

Congrats, Lucky, on your WL thats awesome!!

Ranger - I hate that when my husband does things like your brother did to you. And I know that if I'm not wearing the 'right' work out clothes, I dont have a good work out. I dont know why. I've thought about joining a PF, but I'm enjoying being outside this summer. Maybe in the winter I'll consider it, since it is pretty cheap.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #14  

I am very happy to report that when I weighed again tonight I was down a pound, so I'm only up 0.8 for the week. Things are looking up already!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #15  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Well, considering that I'm down to the end of my weight loss, creating a deficit of 1,000 cal a day is tough. I tend to create 500 to maybe 750 or thereabouts. I was eating 1400 cal/day, but have decided to play with going back down to 1200 to 1300 to see how that goes. I know my bmr is just under 1400. I'd love to lose this last 8lbs in a month, but it's most likely not gonna happen. My goal right now is to get to 125 by the middle of August if not before.

Last edited by RangerChic; 06-22-2009 at 11:56 PM.