Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Running with asthma

I shared some of this in a C25K that some of us are participating in, but I thought I would ask the runners here in the larger group if anyone is dealing with asthma.

I think I've had asthma for years, probably since I was a teenager but I didn't know what it was and was never diagnosed. I didn't know that everyone didn't feel this way so I probably never mentioned it! But the feeling of being kicked in the chest, of air burning (that's not quite the right word) down my windpipe into my lungs--these are all familiar to me. Last winter when I was at my heaviest, it was truly awful. I started losing weight and tried several medications (including inhalers) but nothing really worked until I tried Singulair, which was like a miracle.

Fast forward to now. I'm 33 pounds lighter, learning to run, still taking my Singulair, and everything has been just fine. I've had a couple of 20 minute runs and had no problem with asthma. Well, today I took a 2 hour drive to the other side of the state, and when I was there I noticed feeling a little asthmatic, but by the time I got home I was fine. I went out for my run and BAM--no air. I was breathless almost immediately but instead of turning for home, I started spelling myself with walks/running. I got a mile from home and felt like I had been kicked in the chest. Luckily, my son's apartment was close by and he gave me a drink of water and drove me home.

Of course I have no inhalers here at the house. I took a pill and feel better but......am I going to have to start using inhalers? My plan is to call the doctor in the morning and see what she recommends. Do any of you have asthma, and if so, have you been able to successfully run?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I'm probably not the best example, but I have exercise induced Asthma which is minor in most cases. When I began running it acted up but has settled down again. I'm not sure if that's just a weight related thing or not.

What I do is take a daily med (Advair) and asked my doctor for an emergency inhalor "just in case". Ive never even used it but figured I'll have it if the need hits. Will probably carry it with me when I do the longer Tri races.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Was it hotter today? Since you drove two hours from where you normally live it could be there were some plants around that were bugging you. I have asthma and the heat bothers is a great deal.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I am a bad asthmatic and I run. Last November i ran a quarter marathon Usually i have to take my inhaler at least once per run, normally at the begining before i get warm. My advice to you is to have a number of inhalers around. If you are running dont go without one in your pocket. I usually have 2 on the go at a time- one in the bag i am going out with and one in my gym bag. I am never, ever without one. I've never heard of singulair, but i use ventolin to manage the attacks and flixotide as a preventor. If you are prescribed a preventor make sure you take it as many times as you are supposed to (most asthmatics are terrible for taking their preventor, myself included ).

If you were running in the different city, could it have been the smog/pollution outside that affected you? A different chemical in the air might have triggered the attack. I find my asthma is also bad when i go from one extreme temp to the next, so if you went from somewhere air conditioned to outside that could have done it too.

You should be able to successfully run
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #5  

I don't know what a preventor is; I assume it's what it sounds like and it prevents an attack. Singulair is a medicine that supposedly treats allergies and asthma combined. I don't remember what the inhaler was; all I know is that it didn't seem to really do the trick and just made me cough violently when I used it but I really think it would have helped to have it this evening.

The town I went to was actually on the cool, rainy side of the state. I didn't go there to run, but to buy new running shoes. I did get out of the car at the halfway point and the wind was blowing like crazy, and a lot of the time having air blowing in my face can trigger an attack (as strange as that sounds). So I'm guessing that either something was in the air in the other town, or stopping at the windy place twice (once on the way, once on the way back) might have done it. There is also a significant altitude change on the trip from around 500 feet to about 4000 feet, then back down to sea level. I don't know if altitude changes can have an effect or not.

At any rate, it's good to know that running is possible with this. Mine has been largely untreated for most of my life so hopefully my doc and I can get it under control. Thanks!

Last edited by Windchime; 06-22-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

yup a preventor is just an inhaler that you take a certain number of times a day to prevent attacks from happening. It usually works well, if you remember to take it Im sure your doctor will know what is best for you to control it. Happy running!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #7  

Thanks for the info, Iconized Ghost. My doc was out today but I have a standing order for a rescue inhaler, so I got a refill on that. I tried to go out for another jog tonight but went on the high school track instead of the road, so that I wouldn't be miles from home if/when I had another attack. No attack (although I feel a little wheezy now), but I really had practically no energy and only went about a mile before I pooped out. Bleah!