Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Plug in exercise?

In reading through many threads there is a lot of talking about calories in, calories out, and mainly that unless you eat less calories exercise alone will not help you lose weight.

But what if you decide to move all day long rather than sit? Doesn't that help a LOT? These are some of the the movements I have installed into my schedule to help burn more calories. What are some of the little exericse plugs that you do during the day?

- get off one subway stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- park far away from the door of the mall or any store.
- walk to the grocery store every day for the day's dinner.
- take the long way.. everywhere
- stairs, not elevators.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis)

Is a GREAT way to move more
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Just being more active didn't help me... I used to walk everywhere; to the supermarket, the bus stop, walk around malls for a few hours, walk up and down 3 flights of stairs a few times a day,- I gained because I thought I was walking so much it should be ok to have a handful of M&Ms or a big sandwich. But when I just exercise an hour or 2 a day and watch what I eat and count calories the weight comes off. I wish I would of counted my calories when I was walking so much, I probably would of got to my goal in no time!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #4  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

Height: 5'6

it has worked for me in the past. when i was in school and i had to powerwalk cross-campus between each class five days a week. not to mention i didnt have a car and had to walk everywhere! ann arbor, michigan is a deceptively large town. then when i was out of school and drove everywhere the weight crept back on (oh yeah, and i worked at a bakery, eek). then i switched jobs where i was schleping heavy boxes around for 8 hours a day. dropped about 20 lbs. now i have a mostly sedentary desk job, some of the weight crept back on, so now im trying to lose it the old fashioned way, diet and exercise.

but i have found that i get better weight loss results when i focus on exercise AND diet. and feel better too.
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Despite the vast array of calculators that are suppose to help us with this kind of thing ... a lot of times it's simply a "time will tell" scenario.

I used to take great pride in what an active person I was. I'm a nurse, two storey house, 3 kids. But I was gaining, so obviously I was eating more than I was burning. I have lost weight with dieting alone but never just exercise. I just haven't tried it.

Tom Venuto suggests trying anything for about 2 weeks. If it's not working, you need to change something.

If you plug in these extra exercise tips and all other things remain the same ... you'll lose more weight. However ....

I think that being ever mindful of what you're doing ... like taking advantage of these exercise opportunities ... you'll also become more mindful of what you're eating. It's as if one good habit begets another.

Here's mine ...
... there are a set of dumbells and a band on my coffee table all the time
... I walk to run errands, the mail, a few groceries ...
... I take the stairs at work
... I push-up/off the counter in the kitchen
... I do ab things lying in bed watching TV
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

It did not really do anything for me. I have always moved a lot, and before starting my weight loss journey, I walked my dogs 3 km every day. And I walk fairly fast, it it's an exercise-type of a walk, not smell-the-roses (or rather, poop, as my dogs would have it) walk. The funny thing is that my dogs - greyhounds - lost the winter fat but my own weight didn't budge a notch.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

You guys are lucky to have those opportunities! I am a SAHM and don't really have anywhere to go. We live in the urban section of town so there are no grocery stores or shopping malls within about an 8 mile radius. Even if I chose to walk there, I would either have to walk through some very rough sections of town with my husbands glock or take the interstate . There is not even a park nearby! Oh, how I love the deterioration of downtown living, lol. It is currently undergoing renovation so hopefully within the next year there will be better alternatives.

Until then, I have to do it the old fashioned way with lots of cardio everyday and weight training about 3-4 times a week. We do have a pool so I try to get in there once a week cleaning it so I can swim with the kids a few times a week. Every now and then, we go on little walks but again due to the crime, we have to stay within a couple of blocks from home.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I try to add little stuff as a matter of habit -- parking in the farthest lot and spot available. Returning my shopping carts plus any carts around me to the farthest return, always taking the stairs, etc. I'm sure it can't hurt.

But I also do about 60 mins of dedicated exercise per day.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I find all these help. I didn't mean to imply that I don't diet and exercise, because I do cardio and weight training every day and I count calories.

What got me started was the pedometer my hubby got me for Christmas. I'd heard somewhere that you're supposed to take about 10,000 steps a day and there's not way I can reach that with cardio walking alone. I have to walk everywhere I go during the day, park far away, take the stairs, etc in order to get all my steps in.

Also now that I've lost 22lbs I have a lot more energy to be more active like this. No, this does not replace diet and exercise but I find that it enhances me new active lifestyle.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #10  

I think plug more exercise is good for you to lose weight.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Yeah I agree when you use this method with diet and exercise. My body bugg sure thinks I burn twice as many calories doing the dishes as sitting on the sofa and that's proof enough for me. On my one day a week I don't exercise I try and make a point to do enough passively active things to keep up a good calorie deficit.

Doing it alone though... doesn't help so much. I was well over 270 when I worked a very active retail job.

Exercise is awesome with helping with weight loss and even helps you double your effort but you sure can cancel it out quickly with a bag of cookies.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 06-23-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote