Exercise! - How long does it take you to do a mile?

Jacque9999
06-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I was just wondering how long does it take you all to do a mile? Please state how you do the mile...running, walking, treadmill, Arc Trainer, etc....

I usually don't pay much attention to it but I did a mile, on the treadmill the other day and it took me about 14 minutes running/walking. Next time I do the Arc Trainer I will take note.

Lizzyg
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm obsessed with timing myself. lol :)

Anyway, I have a mile mapped out around my neighborhood, and so far my quickest time running (well, walked for 2 mins and then ran the rest (and I'm slow!)) it is 12:27, and then today I did a mile around a track and got 12:32, but I did run the whole time.

I then walked a mile around the track and it took me 17:08. And then did half walking and half running and that took me 15:40.

I did my first run/walk on memorial day weekend, and am just loving running. And I dont care that I'm a fat lady running in public anymore :)

mayness
06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I've run a mile in about 10:30 before. I could probably get under 10 minutes, as long as I'm just running that one mile.

When I run/walk, I usually do about 3 miles in 45-50 minutes, some of which is up kinda steep hills. My running segments are about a 12 minute mile (5mph) pace.

mkroyer
06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
As the weight has come off, so too has my mile improved!! when fully warmed up I'm now running between 8:00 and 8:20's!! Im super excited about this, but i can only maintain that pace over the course of a 10 K...i have to slow down to approx a 9 minute mile for all my "long runs"!!! Good luck to you all!! keep at it! !you WILL get faster..PROMISE :0

Idealmuse
06-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Right now about 13mins at a very slow jog, but I was doing 11-12 minute miles last summer. Both on the treadmill and outside. What can I say. I'm slow. :)

Jacque9999
06-21-2009, 08:12 AM
As the weight has come off, so too has my mile improved!! when fully warmed up I'm now running between 8:00 and 8:20's!! Im super excited about this, but i can only maintain that pace over the course of a 10 K...i have to slow down to approx a 9 minute mile for all my "long runs"!!! Good luck to you all!! keep at it! !you WILL get faster..PROMISE :0

I hate running so if I can do one let alone more then that, I am happy.

Right now about 13mins at a very slow jog, but I was doing 11-12 minute miles last summer. Both on the treadmill and outside. What can I say. I'm slow. :)

You may think you are slow, but you are quicker then me.

Stella
06-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I jogg and manage some 7.3km per hour. That`s a bit less than 5 miles. It`s hard to say what my average mile is because I start semi-fast, go faster as I progress and then slow down again.

Wolf Goddess
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I usually do around 8 mph on the elliptical, so about 7.5 to 8 minutes or so.

dancerindenver
06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey Jacque - interesting question! Glad to see there are a few other non-speed demons out there besides me : ) I jog outside so sometimes have to stop to wait for a light to change but otherwise I'm running very slowly the whole time - pace is around 13 min/mile with some variation due to hills and hotter weather. Looking forward to speeding up a bit as the scale moves downward as I used to be a bit faster, somewhere in the 10min/mile range.

zinkemomx2
06-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Right now I'm averaging between 12-13 mins a mile. That includes a warm up of 2-4 minutes walking and and can't run quite a whole mile yet.

Samantha100
06-21-2009, 07:08 PM
How fast you are able to walk a mile depends on how quickly you walk and your stride. It can also be effected by the variations in incline/decline. Most people WALK about 3-3.3 mph. Anything more and you're beginning a slow jog. Running for me is about 4.5-5 mph. If you want to calculate your stride, find a location that's flat and fairly long. Take 10 "normal" walking steps. Measure the total distance and divide by 10 and you will have an average of your stride length. For the fun of it, divide 5280 ft (mile) by the number of feet in one of your strides and you will have the number of steps you have to take to complete a mile - this is how pedometers work.

Idealmuse
06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
"Most people WALK about 3-3.3 mph. Anything more and you're beginning a slow jog"

It would be interesting to know what different people considering walking speeds. 3-3.3 to me is a leisurely walk. In order to get my HR up enough for a good calorie burn I need to walk at 3.8-4.0 and I'm not jogging... I'm walking at a good clip. I'm not that tall either.

I only jog slightly faster though because otherwise my HR just climbs too high. Hauling all this weight around I guess.

zinkemomx2
06-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm with Ideal on this one. 3-3.3 is a stroll. I walk much closer to 4. Probably a little faster when I walk with people.

LandonsBaby
06-22-2009, 02:03 AM
The last time I checked it was about 15 minutes, however, if I'm walking for more than 1 mile I get a bit slower so my average is lower. I'm slow. I only walk about 3 miles per hour and do a slow jog at 3.5 - 3.8

BlueToBlue
06-22-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't ever run just a mile at a time, so I'm not sure how fast I could run a mile if I knew I didn't have to keep going once I finished it. It might be interesting to try this some day.

Right now, whether I'm running at a steady state or running intervals (1 min sprint, 1 min walk), I average about a 10-minute mile. I usually run 2.5 to 3 miles at this pace. I'm running the intervals at a 2% incline.

The fastest I've ever run a 10K (my route is actually 6.3 miles) was just under 54 minutes, which works out to a pace of just over 8.5 minutes per mile. I also used to get pretty close to this pace running intervals. But I've had some knee problems that have kept me from running for about six months (I'm just now getting back to it). Between the knees and losing some of my conditioning due to not being able to run, there's no way I could manage that pace today. Heck, I can't even run more than three miles before my knees start to give out.

MariaMaria
06-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Most people WALK about 3-3.3 mph. Anything more and you're beginning a slow jog.

Nope.

The difference between walking and running is whether you get both feet off the ground at the same time. If you do, you're running. If you don't, you're walking.

Jacque9999
06-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Nope.

The difference between walking and running is whether you get both feet off the ground at the same time. If you do, you're running. If you don't, you're walking.

I never heard that before...it's sort of like a horse, when they run/gallop, ALL four legs get off the ground. I will have to check myself out the next time I "run" to see if I am getting both feel off the ground. After reading everyone's posts, I'm not sure I do run....I think I am jogging. Wonder how I will do in the Mile run/walk I am doing in July.

MBN
06-22-2009, 07:51 AM
My fastest 5K time was 26:18, which is right around 8:30 min miles. I've never tried to run just a mile flat out, but I'd expect I could do it somewhere between 7.5 and 8 minutes.

For me, a brisk walking speed on flat terrain is 15 min/mile, or 4 mph. Brisk hiking speed (trails, mountains) is probably 3 - 3.5 mph.

MariaMaria
06-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I do run....I think I am jogging.

There's no difference between the two.

Jacque9999
06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
There's no difference between the two.

That's what I think I am doing too :(

I hate running anyway...I don't get it at all. I would rather spend an hour on the Arc Trainer and burn 600 calories...the downside is I can't do that outside :)

sws19
06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
like a bunch of other people here, i don't really do just one mile, but i'd kinda like to try cause now i'm curious. i guess on an average day, i'd probably do 3 or maybe 4 miles at about 6.8 mph. i'm not sure what that translates to in mile time. i think maybe in the low 9 mins per mile?

Mrs Snark
06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm faster than I used to be, but slower than I'm going to be a year from now. ;)

rileyozzy
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
This is a cool thread and it is neat to see everyone's different times. I started running last summer and when I started I couldn't even run/jog for an entire minute and now I am running 4-5 miles 5x a week. I can run about a 10 minute mile, but I seem to run the same pace no matter how long I run. I guess my body is comfortable at that speed. It would be interesting to run just for speed's sake one time. Out of all the exercises I have ever tried, I like running the best because it is so easy to track and see your progress and improvement. It makes me feel good to know that I am constantly improving. :)

skinnywish
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
i am running a mile in about 10:20-10:40 right now. I am hoping to run my first half marathon this fall at a consistent 10 minute mile, putting me around 2h20min time...won't be breaking any records, but I will be happy to just finish, so this seems like a good goal for me!

ennay
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I think if I warmed up properly and then ran a mile I could possibly break 7 minutes but I never have tried. I've done a 7:24 pace for a 5K. I know I've gone under a 7 min pace on 800 intervals. One day I would love to try.

And yes...running (or "jogging" as there is no technical difference) is a mechanical state, not a speed state. I can walk as fast as a 14 minute mile although my shins holler at me if I do it for too long. I know people who run a 16 minute mile and its running.

To call yourself a jogger instead of a runner because you think you are too slow to be a "real runner" is being unkind to yourself. If you run you are a runner.

(Now many runners do call a recovery effort that is significantly slower than their OWN normal pace a recovery jog - but it is based on their OWN normal pace. For Kara Goucher a jog is probably a 7 minute mile. For me that's a sprint. )

Shannon in ATL
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I got to 11 minutes per mile there for a while, now I average around 12:30. I do a lot of HIIT on the treadmill, which averages at about 13-15 minutes per mile because I do a of fast walking at high incline mixed with sprints at lower incline.

I did one mile in 8 minutes once, but that was when I did the one and stopped to check time right then. Could never keep that up for long term - I think that run averaged at 11 minutes per mile once I was done. :)

I'm working more on endurance and less on speed right now. We'll see where that goes.

mkroyer
06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Skinneywish--- A 10 minute mile is a GREAT goal pace for a half marathon, especially if its your first!!! just remember, when you are deciding on a pace fore a "distance run" such as a half or a full marathon, you always want to ADD time to you "base" pace, to take into account the stress and endurance required for a long run... For a half marathon, i think you are supposed to add like 30 seconds per mile over what you run for a 10k..SO if yo run a 10k at a 10 minute mile, then you can guestimate running approx a 10 30 in a half marathon, or something like that..you can google projected race paces and finishing times and it will tell you...But please remember, if you CANT maintain faster than a 10 20 mile during your LONG training runs, please dont expect to be able to do so during the race.....It puts a lot of physical AND psychological stress that you dont need on yourself, for a first time half marathon....just go out and enjoy, make your GOAL to finish, OR, if you want to make a really LOFTY goal, make it to have a FUN FINISH!!! DO your best....its ok to incorporate some speed training into a novice half marathon training program, but only once a week, and also remember, if you DO interval type speed work, that you need to practice intervals that are appropriate to the distance you want to run fast at...you can run 400 meters intervals till your blue in the face, at ridiculously fast times, but they wont do you a lick of good in the half marathon, you know what i mean? Work on working your way up to 1 km intervals, or even 1 mile intervals (obviously not at as fast a pace as a 400 meter interval, but still faster than your "comfy" pace.. :) Good luck in your half! you are going to LOVE IT

skinnywish
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
mkroyer - THANKS! for all the tips! I love to hear advice from seasoned runners, as I have only started "seriously" running this year. I have also just signed up for a 10km charity run August 23, so that should be awesome practice for the HM, as well as give me an idea on my HM time goal. I will be sure to research what that goal should be based on my 10km time.

I don't have any HIIT incorporated into my plan. My plan is basically 2 days race pace, one day easy run and one day long run (4 runs/week). Maybe I should add some intervals...

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm excited and scared at the same time!!!

ennay
06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
IMO 2 days of race pace is too much speedwork as it is. MOST of your runs should be at easy pace. If you run 4 days a week I would have 2 easy 1 "quality" and 1 long. The quality day can rotate week to week between race pace, long intervals and hills or something.

My long run is typically a full 90 seconds per mile SLOWER than my marathon pace and 2 min Slower than my HM pace. But I've been running longer which means I tend to have a much wider range of paces that I use in training. ( I will train at anything from 7 minute miles for intervals to 11 minute miles for recovery runs)

But the most important thing for your first HM is have fun, dont worry about pace. Just go out the first 3rd like you are itching to run faster, the middle 3rd should feel good and the last 3rd should be work.

Mrs Snark
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Great advice from Ennay, I totally agree!

Jacque9999
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I really don't like running....don't really like exercising either, but I am doing it for a life change. I feel better once I've done it and actually some days, I actually feel better while I am doing it.

I signed up just for s*#t's and giggles to do this Mile. For Pete's sake, it's one mile but I feel like I have been training for a marathon or something. I just would like to be able to keep up with the group I'm doing it with...and finish...and not last!!!

Today I did a mile on the treadmill in 13:23 min. I felt like I ran/jogged the entire time, but in reality, I probably was walking FAST for about 4-5 minutes of it. It is getting easier every time I do it....but I still wonder....what is the fun in running? I still don't get it.

I have run/jogged outside a few times in my neighborhood but it has so many hills that I really need to do it along the river since that is where the Mile is going to be.

I'm faster than I used to be, but slower than I'm going to be a year from now. ;)
I like that...

This is a cool thread and it is neat to see everyone's different times. I started running last summer and when I started I couldn't even run/jog for an entire minute and now I am running 4-5 miles 5x a week. I can run about a 10 minute mile, but I seem to run the same pace no matter how long I run. I guess my body is comfortable at that speed. It would be interesting to run just for speed's sake one time. Out of all the exercises I have ever tried, I like running the best because it is so easy to track and see your progress and improvement. It makes me feel good to know that I am constantly improving. :)

When I started the thread, I wasn't sure what kind of response it would have...glad you like it.

i am running a mile in about 10:20-10:40 right now. I am hoping to run my first half marathon this fall at a consistent 10 minute mile, putting me around 2h20min time...won't be breaking any records, but I will be happy to just finish, so this seems like a good goal for me!
That's impressive!!! I would love to get to that.

I think if I warmed up properly and then ran a mile I could possibly break 7 minutes but I never have tried. I've done a 7:24 pace for a 5K. I know I've gone under a 7 min pace on 800 intervals. One day I would love to try.

And yes...running (or "jogging" as there is no technical difference) is a mechanical state, not a speed state. I can walk as fast as a 14 minute mile although my shins holler at me if I do it for too long. I know people who run a 16 minute mile and its running.

To call yourself a jogger instead of a runner because you think you are too slow to be a "real runner" is being unkind to yourself. If you run you are a runner.

(Now many runners do call a recovery effort that is significantly slower than their OWN normal pace a recovery jog - but it is based on their OWN normal pace. For Kara Goucher a jog is probably a 7 minute mile. For me that's a sprint. )
I guess I am sort of a runner then.

zinkemomx2
06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Right now I'm averaging between 12-13 mins a mile. That includes a warm up of 2-4 minutes walking and and can't run quite a whole mile yet.

I know this is lame quoting myself but..... I did 11:15 min mile tonight and finally was able to run more than a mile straight. 1.13 to be exact. :D:carrot:

skinnywish
06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
thanks ladies! i will adjust my schedule accordingly!

BlueToBlue
06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I really don't like running....don't really like exercising either, but I am doing it for a life change. I feel better once I've done it and actually some days, I actually feel better while I am doing it.
It is getting easier every time I do it....but I still wonder....what is the fun in running? I still don't get it.

How long have been running? That is exactly the way I felt about running when I first started. In fact, I think I felt worse about it. I positively loathed it and referred to it as my weekly "torture" sessions. I was miserable while I did it and didn't feel any better afterwards (if anything, I was tired and achy afterwards). But I stuck with it because, despite all of that, like you, I wanted to be healthier and to make a lifestyle change.

And now, going on four years later, I do enjoy running. It's one of my favorite forms of exercise. I get a charge and a feeling of well-being from it that I get from few other things in my life. It's almost like a drug. Swimming has the same effect, but I definitely don't get this effect from the elliptical, the stepmill, spinning, or strength training. There's something special about running. I can't say exactly when running went from being torture to being enjoyable, but it definitely didn't happen overnight. It had to be a least a year, maybe even longer. Running intervals made a big difference for me.

Then there's also the coolness factor of being able to call myself a "runner." I feel like I am part of an exclusive, very cool, "runners" club.

What I'm trying to say, is that if you stick with it, it may take a while, but eventually I think you will begin to enjoy it.

sacha
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
In high school (10 years ago): 20 minutes (asthma)
4 years ago when I began the fitness path: 12-13 minutes (run walk)
2 years ago at my "peak": 7:30 minutes
now: around 8 minutes if I am dead at the end

I have not kept up with cardio since I went back to university but I will work back up to it. I mean, being about to do less than 9 minutes is pretty darn good, especially from where I started at :carrot:

Jacque9999
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
How long have been running?
I wouldn't really consider what I have been doing as running. HOWEVER, since I started my journey a few months ago, I have fell in love with the Arc Trainer. MY drug of choice......that and circuit training w/cardio. But the running, I just don't get. I really just started to "train" so to speak about a month ago for the Mile I am doing in a few weeks. I need to get outside to do it, along the river and maybe that will change my mind a bit on the whole activity.

I have made the lifestyle change...

mayness
06-23-2009, 04:59 PM
But the running, I just don't get. I really just started to "train" so to speak about a month ago for the Mile I am doing in a few weeks. I need to get outside to do it, along the river and maybe that will change my mind a bit on the whole activity.

I bet you'll at least like it a little more once you do it outside. I consider running on a treadmill torture -- I've done it a handful of times in the past, but I have trouble running in a straight line (yeah, I'm that person who falls off the treadmill, lol), I get SO BORED indoors, and I hate that dizzy feeling when you're done. But running outside, seeing bunnies and deer, hearing birds and bugs, feeling the breeze, saying hi to random neighbors, and sometimes going out just in time to see the sun set... I love that.

Jacque9999
06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
maynessI'm gonna do it tomorrow...before pilates...thanks!!!