South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Hi

"To fully test something you need to experience it yourself."

Over these past 7 weeks, I have read many posts. Some from those who have not experienced SB, and many from others of you who are living new lives stepping away from the bondage of food.

I wanted to share some of my experience and ask a few questions of those who go ahead of me.

I am amazed that in 7 weeks of walking a pretty clean SB lifestyle I am feeling so detached from the constant craving for the junk I have put in my mouth for so many years. Every "diet" I ever went on left me craving and finally caving. I have lots of energy and really feel that something is happening in a very positive way with my health. My blood pressure has dropped substantially! I know my blood sugar has stabilized as a result of eating low glycemic foods.

I don't think I have ever gone 7 weeks without sugar and white flour and I am beginning to see how I got where I got, and more importantly, where I am going. Somewhere my brain finally made the connection that it isn't about packaged dinners, always feeling hungry and never having success.

We went out to breakfast today and I had the best omelet and they were happy to substitute a green salad for the toast and potatoes. It was one of the best meals I remember because it was totally enjoyable and OP.

I understand that I need to stay OP. I would love some feedback from successful SB folks as to when the physical changes happened with you. I have really toned down in my sternum and collar bone. My legs are pretty fit from all my bike riding. When does the belly start shrinking? If it is 39" now, I can't even imagine what it used to be. It seems like all my reduction comes off the extremities.

It would be great to hear about when you had the "moment" where you realized its not about "dieting" any more.

Best wishes and thanks for all the support! I know it is integral to my continued success.
ETA-Is there something you think is important about SB that isn't in the book?

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-19-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #2  
Passion Fruit!

S/C/G: 201/136.4/115

Height: 5 ft. 1 3/4 in.

Within a week of giving up sugar, most white flour, AND artificial sweeteners, my cravings all disappeared. AND my taste buds improved dramatically! NOTHING better than chicken or even flank steak homemade fajitas (with grilled onions and bell peppers and NO tortillas.)

:: drools ::

I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you, though, so I can't speak for the long haul. But I'm enjoying healthy food way more now than I enjoyed the junk. And the 2-3 times I have had something unhealthy, boy oh boy does my body react with a vengance! I love that about my body.

I'm dancing for exercise, so the bulk of the weight so far has come off my hips; almost 5 inches already! Rest of the body is tagging along. I know I need to add strength and resistance work soon, too.

Continued good luck and success!
Sunny Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thanks, Sunny

It's nice to meet you and find you and I have similar paths timewise. I'm glad you enjoy your dancing. I think that part of continued success is finding some type of movement that we enjoy.

I, too, am starting to find that healthier foods are tasting much better.

Best wishes!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Debbie, I lost belly fat right away. My thighs and butt are the last to lose. One negative is more facial wrinkles though. Also, I have gotten physically sick (indigestion & vomiting) from eating junk after being on SB for a year and a half, so I don't do it very often.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I like what you said about it not it not being a "diet" any more.

I just made a list of goals for the summer and realized I wrote
"SouthBeach Eating" not "Southbeach Diet"
I don't want the junk anymore most of the time. I may have a bite
but I actually prefer the healthy SBD foods. I like the way I
feel eating this way.

I am not losing but not gaining and holding at 140. Eventually I want to make it to 130 but for the summer I am going to focus on exercises,
weights, and some hiking.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Great post, Debbie! So glad that you're having an experience akin to my own...it's wonderful to be craving-free, isn't it?

I think sometime after the first two weeks I realized this was going to be my way of life for the rest of my life. It's been over five years now and I'm still going. It gives me so much energy and joy and I love it!

Every body is different. Some lose belly fat right away. Some lose later. What I think Dr. A meant about "lose belly fat first" is that you lose the unhealthier fat first, and I believe that does happen for all of us. But I have the majority of my fat in my belly and it's taken the longest to go away. It's wonderful to see it melt away wherever it goes, but I know how frustating it is to have parts you'd like to see go that are stubborn. Just keep measuring so you can see it go when it does.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It was after I'd been on the plan for a while (a few months maybe) and I realized how well I was eating, how satisfied I was, and that it was really possible to be able to stay on the plan forever. That's when it quit being a diet for me. That's what's kept me going, because, although the first 60 came off quickly and easily, the last part is a big challenge. But whether I am exercising or not, cheating a bit or not, I am always eating the South Beach way. There are some things it has just never crossed my mind to go back to - fast food, white bread, potatoes, junk food (sweets are my downfall). I really don't think I ever will. I know if I had been doing some kind of unnatural, super-restrictive plan, I would have gone back to my old habits by now, and probably put ALL the weight back on, rather than a few lbs.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thanks Anne, Nancy, Laurie and Schmoodle for taking the time to reply.

It is really great to have feedback during this part of my journey. I think the reason so many "diets" fail is because two months in, we haven't lost 50# or fit into a bikini, and start back up because it "isn't working". I haven't felt like caving yet, but I sure wish I would wake up and be magically transported to "maintenance".

I know it's working because I have energy and don't crave, and yes, the lack of craving is heavenly!! I do feel like the texture of my excess body material is different, even though it is still present in "excess".

And I would rather be skinny and wrinkly than continue to be f-a-t.

Nancy, I think I'll just call it "beach food".

Oh, and by the way, when I measured it was at my waist. My is actually 8" bigger. Sigh....