100 lb. Club - 1200 calories enough?

View Full Version : 1200 calories enough?

thinpossible
06-19-2009, 09:29 AM
So those of you who hang out in this part of the forum know I've recently given up junk food. Then I started wondering what I could do next to bump up my weight loss just a smidge, since I only lost 2 lbs in 3 weeks by just giving up junk.

I think that's mainly because I was eating a lot of nuts to help curb the sugar cravings. So I decided I would cut out the nuts and start tracking my calories. So for the past 2 days I've tracked my calories and I'm eating around 1200.

Is that enough? I can easily add a little avacado, a little more cheese, or a spoonful of peanut butter to the mix if it's not.

Also, I'm eating a lot more sodium that I thought, so thanks to those of you who recommended I track my cals.

A related problem, the reason I'm a little on the low side is that food just seems so blah without junk. I really have to change my thinking about it. Yesterday I was totally jonesing for some cookies. 3 weeks without junk and I'm still craving it?! That doesn't seem right. I don't want to be fantasizing about cookies for the rest of my life!

I don't want to eat cookies! So why do I want to eat cookies?!

MugCanDoIt
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Well in my opinion, you need to start out higher than 1200 cause I think 1200 is the lowest anybody should go. If you start out at 1200 and you begin to not lose anymore, you cant lower your calories anymore. So I would suggest starting out higher, like 1800 or something like that. that way when you stall with losing, you can go down a bit......

And theres always calorie cycling. Do 1800 one day, 1600 the next, and so on.....Im not sure about how calorie cycling should work though....but its an idea. A lot of people on here do it.

kelly315
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
That's really not enough. I'm 20 pounds lighter than you and eat 1400 (and lose about 2lbs a week). 1200 is the lowest you can go at any weight, and can be dangerous for anyone but a featherweight or someone supervised by a doctor.

Trazey34
06-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I mean YES you can LIVE on 1200 cals i guess, but i don't call that living. If i ate 1200 cals I'd give up in about a week and eat a vat of pork or something LOL I agree with bumping it up a little. I know, a life without junk is kind of blah and a part of you always WILL miss it -- I don't know about you, but once I felt I'd truly 'given it up' i felt SO FREE!!! the months, years, of worrying that i had enough CRAP in the house for my 3 snacks a night, extra on the weekends, do i have enough diet coke?? do i have salty chips AND sweet ice cream and bakery goods??? and WOW does it feel good to LET THAT $HIT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you CAN do it!!!!!! I'd eat more calories tho, so you don't feel you're in a russian gulag, gotta keep your spirits up!!!

JayEll
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey! Bump up those cals! You can stall if you go too low.

Perhaps what you need is some flavor in your healthy foods--I use seasonings like McCormick's Grill Mates on chicken and meats, or different herbs. A mixture called Herbs de Provence is nice on pork or chicken. I also use measured amounts of salad dressing on vegetables for a different flavor. And I like salsa and bruschetta to add flavor to eggs and such.

You'll find that your tastes do change as you stay on your program. :yes:

Jay

cfmama
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Bump bump bump it up! I'd say 1500ish? You could totally lose weight on that. I keep SAYING I'm going to bump my calories down to 1600 but the reality is I'm still losing and SATISFIED on 1700 calories and I'm only 40 pounds heavier than you.

Make food taste GOOD. Use those extra calories on yummy nuts, yummy dressings, a half avocado....

And you know what? I've been junk free for months and months. I STILL crave the chips, cake, cookie the odd time. BUT I know I can resist and have the power to resist. THAT makes me happy.

Thinpossible... you are a rock star. That many days without junk and on plan. You will GET there. yes you will.

sprklemajik
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm at about the same weight as you, and I loose at 1600-1700 calories daily. Definitely bump it up, maybe just go at 200 calories/week extra for a while and then try 300. See if you keep loosing.

belezura
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I just want to make a comment about the nuts. For a while, I mean months, I wasn’t losing any weight and as soon as I gave up on nuts, I started to lose again.
My thing is that I LOVE nuts, any kind, so I was eating too much of it. So, I have to keep away from it for good if I want to keep OP. To me, one cup/handful of nuts doesn’t work. So bye bye peanuts, almonds, brazilian nuts, pistachios, etc :(

chickiegirl
06-19-2009, 11:39 AM
A related problem, the reason I'm a little on the low side is that food just seems so blah without junk. I really have to change my thinking about it. Yesterday I was totally jonesing for some cookies. 3 weeks without junk and I'm still craving it?! That doesn't seem right. I don't want to be fantasizing about cookies for the rest of my life!

Have you looked for any options thinpossible? I found an oatmeal chip cookie that I have for dessert, and it doesn't set me off. Are there any bakeries, organic sections, or recipes you could modify to add more whole grains to the recipe and cut the sweetness?

I've also found a kettle cooked potato chip that works for me as well. Lemon tarts -- tried those and did not go well.

So my point is that obviously, like you, there is stuff I can't touch, but I've been really blessed to find some options and I think if you look around you might as well.

I don't think any of us want to be fantasizing about cookies (or chips, or McDs) the rest of our lives!! :)

Schmoodle
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
No, it would not be enough for me.
One thing I do so that I don't feel deprived is to pamper myself. Since I am not buying junk, I can justify buying really good food, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, filet on a special occasion, really good cheeses, all of the things I love but used to do without because they were too expensive. I do a lot of experimenting and trying new recipes, and I won't eat something just because it's healthy if it doesn't taste good. I think as far as taste and quality of food goes, I eat much better now than I used to.

I started out as a total sugar junkie. After giving it up for two years, I am okay without it most of the time, but I can't tell you I never crave a really good piece of Belgian chocolate. It's hard to change habits.

thinpossible
06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I mean YES you can LIVE on 1200 cals i guess, but i don't call that living. If i ate 1200 cals I'd give up in about a week and eat a vat of pork or something LOL I agree with bumping it up a little. I know, a life without junk is kind of blah and a part of you always WILL miss it -- I don't know about you, but once I felt I'd truly 'given it up' i felt SO FREE!!! the months, years, of worrying that i had enough CRAP in the house for my 3 snacks a night, extra on the weekends, do i have enough diet coke?? do i have salty chips AND sweet ice cream and bakery goods??? and WOW does it feel good to LET THAT $HIT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you CAN do it!!!!!! I'd eat more calories tho, so you don't feel you're in a russian gulag, gotta keep your spirits up!!! LOL, Trazey you're so funny. Yes, that definitely IS the UPside to no junk-- no more calculating, trying to control it, doing all those mental gymnastics in my head and having it call my name all the time. Now it only calls my name a couple times a day ;)

Have you looked for any options thinpossible? I found an oatmeal chip cookie that I have for dessert, and it doesn't set me off. Are there any bakeries, organic sections, or recipes you could modify to add more whole grains to the recipe and cut the sweetness?

I've also found a kettle cooked potato chip that works for me as well. Lemon tarts -- tried those and did not go well.

So my point is that obviously, like you, there is stuff I can't touch, but I've been really blessed to find some options and I think if you look around you might as well.

I don't think any of us want to be fantasizing about cookies (or chips, or McDs) the rest of our lives!! :) Yeah, maybe someday I can try one of those healthy cookies, but it ain't happening anytime soon. No matter how you dress it up that stuff sucks me in. Whole grain, cane & fruit juice sweetened, organic-- whatever. I'll even devour the ones that don't taste very good :shrug: What can I say, my brain is broken :lol:

WhitePicketFences
06-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I think 1200 is enough for some people (in fact, I currently eat that low) but if you have been losing 2-3 lbs per week just by nixing the junk, then no, don't! You may eventually eat pretty low, but for now, maybe try 1500. This will be easy to add via the healthy fats you mention; those things pack a caloric punch.

synger
06-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I found the key for me to cut down on cravings for sweets and starches was to load up on protein. I definitely couldn't do 1200/day. I guess I "calorie cycle" even if I don't really plan it. I just have a range I aim for, so some days I'm on the high end of the range and some days on the low. But I guess I'm averaging about 1700/day.

It has also helped a great deal for me to find crunchy things that satisfy without breaking the bank. Old-fashioned stove-cooked popcorn fills me up, without too much fat, and still has the taste I need that air-popped popcorn just doesn't have.

synger
06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Oh, and with sweets, I get a really nice kind, and make a production out of it. I get imported tea cookies that are really good, and I get out a very pretty only-used-for-compay tea cup and plate, and I put two cookies on the plate and have my cup of tea, and savor every bite. THat way I enjoy the taste and crispness, and it becomes a very special treat.

It's amazing to me how satisfactory that is, when six months ago I would have stood in the kitchen and eaten half a bag of Oreos, and barely tasted a one, and felt only guilt!

KnitALisa
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, that definitely IS the UPside to no junk-- no more calculating, trying to control it, doing all those mental gymnastics in my head and having it call my name all the time. Now it only calls my name a couple times a day ;)

Well, hey that's progress! Maybe in another month without it the junk's call will be even fainter. Stay strong! :)

Alana in Canada
06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Another vote to bump it up.

How balanced is your diet? What is your percentage of protein, fat and carbs?

I'm not sure what "no junk" means exactly--and you don't have to tell me--you know what's working for you!--I just feel like a Mom and want to make sure you are eating as healthily as you can.

Congrats on sticking to your committment! Way to go.

thinpossible
06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Another vote to bump it up.

How balanced is your diet? What is your percentage of protein, fat and carbs?

I'm not sure what "no junk" means exactly--and you don't have to tell me--you know what's working for you!--I just feel like a Mom and want to make sure you are eating as healthily as you can.

Congrats on sticking to your committment! Way to go. No junk means no fast food and nothing sugary like cereal, pastries, candy, ice cream, etc. My diet is pretty good. I eat very few processed foods. Mainly I eat lf dairy, lean poultry, fruit, nuts, beans, and whole wheat grains. I should eat more veggies, but I don't like them that much. Usually I just eat a salad and green veggie with dinner.

rockinrobin
06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I'll jump on the "I too think you should raise your calories" bandwagon.

Yeah, maybe someday I can try one of those healthy cookies,

They might be health-ier, but they're usually not all that healthy. I think you are wise to do without them. By eating them, you're just keeping your wants, desires and CRAVINGS for them alive. You need to kill the beast. And for me, that meant going COLD TURKEY.

Next case. I think you need to find yourself some delicious foods to eat. Be creative. Experiment. Tweak your current favorites. Search the net. Once I got rid of "those foods" a whole new DELICIOUS world opened up for me. So yes, I got rid of certain foods - but I ADDED in a ton more.

As far as sweets, I so wanted to set myself up for success, that I even kept fruit to a bare minimum for the first couple of months. But if you want to keep them in, which is fine as most people do and lose just fine, how about raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries? OMG, they are delicious. Slice an apple the round way, not wedges, paper thin, sprinkle on some cinnnamon. Heaven. Then there's watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, grapes, cherries (watch it with these, easy to overeat), mangoes, pineapple and so much more. Think outside the box. FIND, SEEK OUT, DISCOVER new and better foods. Then you'll stop missing your old ones. When you're eating foods that you love it's MUCH easier to stay on plan - no reason to go off plan.

Same goes with the veggies - there are TONS of them out there and TONS of ways to prepare them. They are delicious and filling Check out the recipe sticky here at the 100 lb club for some ideas to get you started. Experiment, experiment, EXPERIMENT!!!!

I no longer settle for food that "just tastes good", it has to BE good for my body as well, long after I'm done chewing. I now hold to a higher standard. I'm picky and I'm choosy. I require more from myself, because it and I am worth it. As are you. But do give yourself some time, it does take time for your tastes and choices to evolve.

rockinrobin
06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh and check out this post about my thoughts on one of my former thought I could never live with outs:

http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2732318&postcount=1

Pita09
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Robin that was a great read about loving broccoli more than cookies. Today for lunch I made us a whole pan full of roasted veggies. I had broccoli, green beans, green pepper, onions, zucchini, and sweet-potato. I seasoned it all up and at the very end tossed on some balsamic vinegar. I served it over whole wheat brown rice that had been cooked in low sodium chicken broth. It was sooooo good!! My Sweetie asked if I can make it more often. :D

I just got home from the library with an arm load of healthy cookbooks. There were tons to choose from. I think my favorite is going to be the Quick and healthy cooking for Dummies. I love the Dummies books!

I will put the recipes I find that I like into my healthy cookbook that I'm making for myself. I love food and will not give up great taste, but I will find ways to do it low calorie and healthy.

I agree with everyone else that you need to up those calories and search for alternatives that will satisfy you.

ladyviv
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
By accident, and WOW how some accidents reap reward! I nuked a potato in the microwave. Somewhere, I read that after you nuke it (about 3-1/2 minutes for medium potato), spray the potato with cooking spray, then put in a toaster oven (or oven) at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. This gives the skin a 'baked' flavor --- it's great!

I use butter sprinkles... about 5 calories/tsp.

One day, I had stewed tomatoes with the potato, and some of the juice got on some of the potato.... OH, wow, what a great flavor! I don't even need the butter sprinkles, just a little salt and some juice from the stewed tomatoes. ----> this is the accident!!

Try it... it's very few calories.

ladyviv
06-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Robin that was a great read about loving broccoli more than cookies. Today for lunch I made us a whole pan full of roasted veggies. I had broccoli, green beans, green pepper, onions, zucchini, and sweet-potato. I seasoned it all up and at the very end tossed on some balsamic vinegar. I served it over whole wheat brown rice that had been cooked in low sodium chicken broth. It was sooooo good!! My Sweetie asked if I can make it more often. :D

I've never made roasted veggies; can you post a basic recipe, such as the time, temp, seasoning, etc.? I'd love it, I think!

lottie63
06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
a friend of mine started her diet at 1200 cals. she lost 40 lbs in a few months,quickly....but then she stalled. and she's gained a good bit back. She just couldn't 'lose anymore no matter how little she ate or how active she was, and since you cant move down a notch form 1200 to spark that metabolism up again, she has pretty much screwed herself. to be honest.

thinpossible
06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Gosh darn it! I tried to up my calories yesterday, and when I calculated them I ended up only eating around 1100! Seriously, this is a problem I NEVER thought I'd have.

This is what I ate: (and yes, I already know I need more produce)

Breakfast
1/2c Fiber One mixed with
1/2 c lf vanilla yogurt

Lunch
chicken thigh w/skin
1/4c lf cottage cheese
(yes, I know, where are the fruits and veggies)

Snack
string cheese
3 Triscuits

Dinner:
Turkey burger
bun
lettuce
tomato
ff mayo
corn on the cob w/butter
broccoli
carrots

I think I'll start making my afternoon snack pb and apple.

rockinrobin
06-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I think I would be starving on what you ate. 1 chicken thigh and 1/4 cup cottage cheese for lunch? I'd be gnawing at my arm an hour later!

The veggies are not only great because they're healthy and low calorie - but because they're FILLING. Plus you get lots of VOLUME for fairly low calories. So yes, eat them, eat them, eat them.

I just posted this on a thread titled "I'm giving up salads", maybe you can get a few ideas:

I could easily eat salads 3x a day. But they don't consist of ice berg lettuce and tomatoes. There are SO many varieties of salads out there.

Just yesterday I cut up a peach and threw it in there with baby spinach, European greens, red onion, grape tomatoes, orange peppers, cucumbers, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, and a splash or 2 of balsamic vinegar - MAJOR yumm!

Today I am making another great salad. Thinly sliced mango & cucumbers (both the long way, in strips), thinly sliced red onions and thinly sliced orange peppers, dressed with lime juice, cilantro and some black pepper, served on a bed of baby spinach and topped with a few chopped pecans. NOTHING boring there.

I make a WONDERFUL red cabbage salad with red wine vinegar, shredded carrots, scallions, craisins, mandarin oranges and slivered almonds.

Then there's hearts of palm, grape tomatoes, red onions, avocado, garlic and lemon.

And roasted grape tomatoes and chopped garlic salad. Out of this world.

Chickpeas & other beans go great in salads. As do strawberries.

Tuna, grilled chicken, turkey breast, salmon - all great accompaniments.

I make a salad with pears and raspberries - super yummy.

Then there's corn, sugar snap peas, snow peas, water chestnuts, bean sprouts.......

Oh, I make TONS of delicious salads. Saying you don't like salads is SUCH a blanket statement. The possibilities are endless. Be creative!

I would also add in another couple of snacks. Between lunch and breakfast and even after dinner. Keep full. Do your best to avoid getting hungry. And maybe ditch those Triscuits - get more filling power and nutrition from your snacks.

I think you're off to a great start! Now that you've started counting calories, those pounds are going to start melting off of you. :cheer2:

thinpossible
06-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Robin-- Thanks for the great salad ideas. I will definitely try some of those recipes. As for being hungry, believe me, I am not starving myself. If I'm hungry you can be sure I eat. I just don't get that hungry. Right before each meal I start to feel a little rumbly in my tummy (as Pooh would say). I do need more fruit/veggies for the vitamins, but not for the volume. However, I will add extra snacks and see if that helps my weight loss and my calorie count.

Pita09
06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I've never made roasted veggies; can you post a basic recipe, such as the time, temp, seasoning, etc.? I'd love it, I think!

Roasting veggies is so easy you will wonder what took you so long. Use what you want and cut it into any size you want. The smaller the size the quicker the cooking. I roast mine at 425 to 450. I like to cut mine in bite size pieces put the veggies in a large plastic container that has a lid. I toss in my seasonings of choice. Sometimes I go Italian with oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sometimes I go Mexican and leave out the Italian seasonings and use cumin and chili powder. I will usually use one to two tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil (you can omit this and use the cooking spray of your choice) put the lid on the container and give it all a good shake to coat. I then spread out the veggies on a cookie sheet and roast (turning every 10 minutes or so) until veggies are soft and lightly browned.

Do remember that root veggies, peppers, and onions will take longer to cook up then broccoli and squashes. I usually start the longer ones first and cook the softer veggies for the last 10 or 15 minutes. I just had to experiment with timing and the way I liked it to taste.

At the end you can sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, or anything else you want, such as fresh herbs. I eat mine as a side dish or over brown rice. Yummy!

Robin, I so agree with you about salads. I haven't touched Iceberg in years. Baby spinach and Mesclun greens are my favorites, but I'm working on branching out to new lettuces and greens. Creating new salads is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen.

rockinrobin
06-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I do need more fruit/veggies for the vitamins, but not for the volume.

Wow. You are VERY fortunate about the not so hungry factor. That's a grat thing to have on your side!

The fiber found in veggies burns lots of calories just by being digested, another great reason to eat them.

And here's a tiny article on some benefits to eating vegetables.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-vegetables-weight-loss.htm

ladyviv
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for info about roasting veggies, Pita09! I'll be trying it.

Robin, I do one of my meals (5/day) and one of them is 8 Triscuits and a piece of string cheese. I thought the fiber would be filling, and there's not many calories. What would you put in its place?

EyeSing
06-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Rockinrobin - amen to your non-boring salad post! I LOVE salads but I wouldn't touch iceberg if you paid me. I also don't eat cucumbers becaue they have so little flavor! My husband is hooked now - and he was a die-hard iceberg-lettuce-tomato guy! Oh and I threw out the ranch and started buying dressings I had never tried before.... mmmm!

I like mixing lettuces - greenleaf, spinach, romaine, for lots of different textures, and romaine gives you that crunch you might miss from iceberg. Strawberries and walnuts with a balsamic on spinach with pieces of grilled chicken was ALL I ate when I got home from the hospital... for days!

I loved it when I realized I could put fruit, nuts, corn, sprouts, water chestnuts, and all kinds of beans on salads! MMM now I want a salad for dinner!

rockinrobin
06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Robin, I do one of my meals (5/day) and one of them is 8 Triscuits and a piece of string cheese. I thought the fiber would be filling, and there's not many calories. What would you put in its place?

8 Triscuits and a piece of string cheese? As a meal? Oh no, no, no. At least not for me. First of all, I personally can't do crackers. Eating crackers leaves me clamoring to eat MORE crackers. It's one of those have to shovel them in my mouth as fast as possible foods - and I avoid them. And they're not filling. And they're over in two minutes. I need my food to last and be extremely healthy, filling, satisfying, DELICIOUS and VOLUMINOUS. Triscuits - aren't. I usually have a MEGA salad and a protein for lunch. Or a humongous veggie dish with a protein. Take a look a this thread for some great lunch/and or dinner ideas.

http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171605

eat cucumbers becaue they have so little flavor!

You see, I LOVE cucumbers. I must eat 6 or 7 a day. Well they're not actually cucumbers, what I eat is Kirbys - they're pickling cucumbers, and are a bit smaller, but much less seedier and crunchier. I make cucumber salad and have it at least 3X a day as a snack.

ladeeda20
06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I started mixing Kashi (not the crunch kind, but the 10g of fiber kind) with my yogurt. It has more calroies than the fiber one

also, I love the Fiber One granola bars. I tend to eat high fiber sweets that way I won't over indulge b/c for what it'll do to.ystem

EyeSing
06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
I will have to check out the Kirby's - I am always up for a little more crunch! I did forget, I LOVE shepherd's salad with cucumbers. Is that the equivalent of your cucumber salad? They do pick up a vinegar or citrus base really well. So props to cucumbers - I do eat them there!

Jasmine31
06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Bump up the cals.

Fruit really helps me to curve the sugar cravings. Apples, oranges, watermelon, canteloupe, etc.