General Diet Plans and Questions - "SUMMERTIME" and 'VOLUMETRICS'

View Full Version : "SUMMERTIME" and 'VOLUMETRICS'

meowee
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
:welcome:

Well, here we are -- it is officially SUMMER this weeked and it's been pretty 'summer-like' around here for the past few days. Time for a new start to our healthy-living efforts, gang -- ;)

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

meowee
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Boy . . . I closed the wrong thread . . . :dizzy:

butterflyinprogress
07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I am so glad to see this thread is still alive.

A few years ago (under a different name) I was a part of the thread, but unfortunately I didn't stick it out. I wanted fast results. Which I never got. I knew in my heart I had finally found the plan for me (Volumetrics), but because of other issues I didn't follow through. Now if I lose a pound a month and get healthier, I'll be thrilled.

Now I am much fatter and feeling awful.

I no longer have my volumetrics books, but know how to follow the plan. For me, I just ate mainly low caloric density foods without counting anything, just using the energy density formula.

I am ordering the books again through amazon.

Thanks for keeping this thread going - gosh it must have been at least three years, probably more, since I was here.

gailr42
07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
The last few days my DH's son, wife and 4 kids have been here. I have eaten lots of the wrong things, but I did manage to control the ammount I ate.

My DH and I ate 20 lbs of peaches over the last couple of weeks. I love the peaches and I think they help me stay on track.

Welcome back, Butterfly. I think this is a great program, too. Of late, I have been counting calories and writing it all down just to motivate myself.

butterflyinprogress
07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Gail, thanks for the welcome back! It is so good to be here.

I know what you mean about peaches - this time of year they are so wonderful. And they're so good for you too. Eating peaches - even lots of peaches - never got me fat!

Until I get my books, I am looking through all the old articles I saved on Volumetrics. Back in 2005 there was an excellent article in USA Today about the program, explaining it very well. The energy density formula itself is very easy.

I work full time, long hours, and I'm going to be looking into the new natural Healthy Choice meals I saw advertised here on 3 fat chicks. It's actually fun for me to do the formula on different foods. This time around I'm having a total attitude adjustment about this way of eating. I know it's the only plan for me, so I'm going to make it work for me.

ArtCat
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone! I'm glad to see the thread is back! While it was gone I had a hysterectomy, but managed to not gain anything. Now that I'm allowed to walk again, I'm hoping to start the slow losing process again.

How are things for you, meowee? I thought I remembered that you were having some health issues?

judipurple
07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
:wave:Hi everybody! Glad to be back in the Volumetrics thread - now that summer is here, my consumption of peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe and other melons is on the upswing - as well as *fresh* veggies:) The weight isn't moving in any direction:rolleyes:, but I started my walking again. I even throw in a few short bursts of "gentle" jogging.:carrot:

Glad to see you all - Artcat, glad you are well - congrats on not gaining after the surgery! Just pace yourself with the exercise. :hug:

butterflyinprogress
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi folks, I thought I would share - while searching on amazon for the Volumetrics books to order, I came across a book that just came out last month. It sounds like a perfect compliment to the other two Volumetrics books, although it is not written by Barbara Rolls.

It's called The Diet Denominator: Fill Your Tank for Less. A Practical Guide to Choosing Low Energy Density Foods.

You can search through some of the book on amazon, and it really goes into detail about the ED formula and choosing foods. This sounds perfect for me because that is all I am focusing on right now.

Have a great evening!

gailr42
07-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Butterfly, that is exactly what I say about peaches. I didn't get fat eating them, or cantaloupe either. LOL.

Well, Art Cat, I'm glad you found time for the hysterectomy while the Volumetrics thread was down. We would have missed you! Glad to hear that you are walking again.

I have done well with the eating today as long as I don't eat any more tonight. It is 8:30 pm, so I might not be tempted...

ArtCat
07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
After posting, I looked at my ticker, and the thread must have been down longer than I remembered, because my numbers are wrong. I get to drop them by 5 lbs!

judipurple
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
:cp::cp::cp::bravo::cp::cp::cp:

iaradajnos
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello. I'm glad to see this thread. I'm a huge fan of Volumetrics. I found the book by Barbara Rolls last December, strategized how to lose weight, and started Jan 20 (2009). I followed the philosophy very closely and made sure I truly loved each of the four meals a day I ate. I've lost 35 pounds and just passed my goal weight (145). I'm on to 138 (Willoughby Athletic Weight). I should make it there before my vacation (woo-hoo).

I wanted to share that I just love jicama, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and bell peppers. These let me fill up my plate, soak up my home made sauces, and go a very long way to fill me up. Yum.

Can't rave enough about Volumetrics. Thanks so much for the new book idea (The Diet Denominator: Fill Your Tank for Less. A Practical Guide to Choosing Low Energy Density Foods). Can't wait to get it.

For me, I feel mostly informed but want to keep thinking about it, talking about it, and such. It keeps me truckin' along and enjoying the success.

gailr42
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
For some reason, I am not too fond of Jicama. Love bean sprouts. It seems to me that mung bean sprouts make a pretty good substitute for pasta. They are quite a bit less trouble than spaghetti squash.

I am not giving up real pasta because I really want to enjoy my meals like Iradajnos mentions. I think probably meal enjoyment is the key to the whole weight control thing. If I don't love it, I'm not gonna eat it. I will end up seeking out less appropriate things. Oreo cookies, Rice crispy treats etc.

I will eat my real pasta the Volumetrics way.

butterflyinprogress
07-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone! This is such a great thread. Let's keep it going.

irada, wow you are a true Volumetrics success story. Can you share, do you count calories, etc? As for me, after a lifetime of dieting, I just can't do any of them anymore. I even tried Weight Watchers Core plan (now called Momentum, I think), and that's the closest to Volumetrics you can get, but I couldn't stand to count those weekly points. Reminded me too much of dieting.

After a lifetime of counting calories, fat grams, food exchanges, carbs, etc. I just can't do it anymore. I always gained the weight back, and more.

I know there's lots of ways to incorporate Volumetrics into your eating, but for me I'm just using the energy density formula. This is not going to be another diet, and nothing is forbidden. I just know there are some foods I can eat a lot of, and some foods I can only eat a little of. I'm not counting portions, just using my hunger/satiety feelings to keep me in check. I'm keeping it as simple as that. This is the way I can eat for a lifetime. If I lose only one pound a month, so be it. That's 12 pounds less of me next year.

So how are you doing it? What about the rest of you? Special diets or just focusing on energy density like I am?

Let's share our strategies!

gailr42
07-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I didn't get fat until I was 40 years old, so I haven't spent a lifetime working on my weight. It only seems like it, I guess. I am just about have my 67th b'day.

I lost about 40 pounds. I, too, couldn't stand the idea of all the counting etc that Butterfly is talking about. I did fine and kept the weight off for about a year. At some point, I just gave up and went back to my old ways...I have gained back quite a bit of what I lost, but, halleluja, not all of it. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I came to my senses before I had regained everything and then some. So, what I am doing right now is counting calories. I sort of like putting my food into fit-day. I also like looking at all the pie charts and graphs. Makes me think I am writing a PhD thesis about my weight. I think writing down the food is what really helps.

I am not sure what I should have done when I started to loose interest. What got me interested again was my friend talking about Weight Watchers. She lost 50 lbs and has kept it off for several years. We talk all the time, and I don't know why this particular time I was inspired.

When I was doing well, I was eating two gigantic salads every day. I absolutely know that those veggie and lettuce loaded salads kept me from eating other more calorie dense items. I put effort into making the salads and other meals look attractive as well as tasty. I enjoyed the creative-ness involved in cooking within volumetric principles. So, let's hope I can stick with it this time.

ArtCat
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
iaradajnos- congratulations on your success! What about exercise? How much of a part has that played in your weight loss?

gail- do you eat whole wheat pastas, or just any? I've switched everything over to whole grain, but have noticed a big difference in the taste of the whole wheat brands. Some seem a little bitter, but I'm OK with the texture.

gailr42
07-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I have tried the whole wheat. I think the stuff I have is Ronzoni, but I'm not sure. I don't mind it, but I don't love it either. I usually just eat a measured serving of the regular stuff. Also, to have it come out good you have to pay more attention to it while cooking. Sometimes this is beyond my scope. LOL.

butterflyinprogress
07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone!

I got my Book The Diet Denominator and am JUST LOVING IT. The Volumetrics books gave me an incredible background on energy density, but THIS is the plan I will now be following. I wrote a lengthy review of it over on amazon.

If you are interested in the energy density of foods, but no longer want to count calories, or measure portions, this book is for you. It gives me the structure I needed that Volumetrics did not. That said, I will always be grateful to Barbara Rolls and her Volumetrics books for introducing me to the wonderful concept of energy density and giving me a phenomenal education about it.

Tonight we are eating at KFC, having their grilled chicken, green beans and coleslaw, which all falls within The Diet Denominator (Volumetric) guidelines.

What are you guys eating?

ArtCat
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Guess I'll have to take a look at that book... It can't hurt to check out what they have to say about a concept that I already know works for me.

butterflyinprogress
08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Liz, it looks to me like it's a self-published book, which means the editing normally done by large publishing companies is poor, but if you can get through that (which I really didn't have a problem with, but others might with typos, etc.), the information is just absolutely wonderful.

I found this book by accident while doing a search on amazon for caloric density, and I'm glad I found it.

gailr42
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
What am I eating? Well, among other things, I had six cups of lettuce and four peaches. You can look at my fit day. I sure have had my ups and downs. I am trying very hard not to get discouraged.

ArtCat
08-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I finally got a Brita water pitcher to up my intake of water, and it does make a difference. Our tap water is fine, but you can always taste and smell the chlorine.

gailr42
08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
We have our own well and a stand-alone ice machine. Our water tastes good and so does the ice - no funny freezer/refrigerator taste. I am spoiled!

I had the best dinner last night, and it really filled my plate. I had a mixed lettuce salad with veggies, sugar snap peas, 4oz potato, and five oz of marinated grilled shrimp and a grilled peach. This was a ton of food and really filled me up for a fairly modest calorie count. I use fat-free yogurt to dress the potato and one of my low fat salad dressings for the salad.

butterflyinprogress
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh well, this thread seems to be dying a slow death. That's too bad, I love Volumetrics and the plan I'm on, the Diet Denominator.

Well, just a big thank-you to Meowee who last posted in June, for starting this topic way back when.

I really love the plan I'm on, which takes the concept of Volumetrics and makes it extremely simple to follow.

Have a wonderful summer everyone!

judipurple
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, well, Butterfly, this thread isn't quite dead - there are just a few of us who regularly pop in, and postings can be sporadic - but we ain't dead yet!!!:carrot: ;) This thread is the first one I stop at on my way in to 3FC - it's one of the quieter threads, but still kickin'! Hope you'll stop in periodically to check on us:hug:

gailr42
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Yesterday, I was feeling ill with some kind of intestinal thing. I snacked all day on various starchy things because that seemed to make me feel better. When I toted up the calories I was stunned! What an eye opener! My advice - if you feel bad just don't eat anything. All that bread, chips, etc counts up really, really, fast.

I am still on the Volumetric wagon. Love all the food I can consume, if it is the right stuff.

ArtCat
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Things may seem quiet, but I think everyone's so busy in the summer. I know I am. Right now I'm babysitting my daughter's dog and cat, so I have 4 cats and a dog in the house. Crazy busy, but fun!

I still haven't looked into the Diet Denominator, but it's on the list...

judipurple
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Gail, I hope you're feeling better - don't feel too bad about your calories - one blip in the grand scheme of things usually doesn't do too much damage (one hopes!). As long as your health improves...:hug:

Liz, you're right - summer is a busy time for me! Between the garden, driving kids everywhere, canning/pickling/jamming - I may be unemployed for the moment, but I drop into bed at night like a stone!

We finally have true summer weather here in the northeast - 90+ degrees two whole days in a row!!!! And the sun is actually out, up there - in the sky!!! (it has been a long, cold, wet & dark summer thus far - the last time we hit 90 it was back in April!!!)

ArtCat
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
We've had a cooler summer than usual, too, here in West MI. I kind of like it, but my tomatoes don't. They're really running behind! Everything else seems to be adapting, pretty much.

joma
08-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey folks,

I am new here, but coincidently just picked up the Volumetrics book from the library. I love the idea of eating healthier without having to document and calculate everything (I always fall behind in that). I'm home sick today, so I've actually got time to read the book! I'd really appreciate hearing any tips or ideas from those of you already following this eating method.

butterflyinprogress
08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone!

joma, I hope you are feeling better and welcome to Volumetrics. There are lots of ways of doing Volumetrics. Weight Watchers Momentum Simply Filling Technique is based on Volumetrics, and I've heard that Jenny Craig is as well.

I read the two Volumetrics books out there, and the only thing of value I got was some pretty darn good recipes and the information on how to calculate energy density. Still, both Volumetric books pretty much focus on calories, and I'm through with making tallys all day long.

While searching on amazon I found a great book called The Diet Denominator. It is totally based on the volumetrics theory, but gives me the structure I needed without counting up numbers all day long.

One good tip is to focus on fruits and vegetables. The energy density of fruits and vegetables is less than 1, which is quite low.

I eat foods with an energy density of 3 or less, as explained in the Diet Denominator book. After my initial figuring of the energy density of the food I want, I then know the energy density for future use and don't have to do any more math.

Whatever Volumetrics plan you follow, volumetrics is the best, because it naturally reduces the calories you eat. My current plan is taking the weight off very slowly, but who cares. I can live on this plan forever, which I couldn't do with other plans.

judipurple
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
My current plan is taking the weight off very slowly, but who cares. I can live on this plan forever, which I couldn't do with other plans

Touche, Butterfly!!! That is THE reason for my continuing with my combo Volumetrics/calorie counting - 'cause I can live on this plan - for the duration!:carrot:

iaradajnos
08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone. I disappeared from page one (sort of like Pooh does in the Disney film from my childhood days). I lost where the thread was and got distracted. I'm back.

Today I ran in to one of the office ladies from another building for work. She hasn't seen me in months. She was shocked. We had all started off together but they wanted to make up their own diet. I kept selling volumetrics but they were not interested. I still think it's my best success strategy that will stay for life.

This weekend, I used a combination of raw spinach (as bedding on the plate), topped with a very lightly cooked beansprout in a light tomatoe curry sauce to act as a replacer to rice. My main entre was a yummy pinto bean and mushroom spicy curry. I really liked the strategy of 2 cups spinach (14 calories) topped with a healthy cup of 50 calories of "faux-rice" added with a cup of bean and mushroom (165 calories). I followed up with a dessert of 1 cup of grapes (110 cal). (Recipes posted at the vegetarian thread's food section)

This dinner showed me just how much of a corner I've turned. I made food that I would love and be really happy with. So, this volumetrics things seems to be sticking.

I realized today that my over eating issue is on the same par as my horrible memory. I've been working on eliminating bad behavior and strategizing ways to compensate, build up, prevent, etc. For example, I ALWAYS put my keys in the exact same spot NO MATTER what. It's a small successful strategy. I have been working on techniques to remember people's names while also elminating my horrible habit of not listening and focusing on the subject.

Another example closer to my current situation is lunges. I have bad knees which have caused me such massive pain that I was going to lose weight no matter what just to work on something that might help (I'm pain free now). I found that I had many things to do to work on my knees: fix my bike so it fits my body size, strengthen my hamstring muscles, lose weight, monitor the irritants properly, and do my lunges right. I had to focus so hard on my knees every single lunge so I knew I was doing it right. I really was like learning how to move from scratch. All my attention was on it. Today, I realized that I'm doing lunges without any thought. I just do them right (with less weight and massive hamstring muscles).

Anyway, I guess these comparisons help me to realize that I'll always have something to manage--an over eating problem. But with strategies, prevention, techniques, elimination, etc. I've gotten many areas under control. Thankfully, I enjoy many of these strategies, techniques, etc. I love my volumetrics the most, though.

iaradajnos
08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Just another note as I went back and caught up a bit on everyone's conversations. Again, I do like this thread.

So, I'm excited to order the The Diet Denominator. There's been a few books mentioned in various threads that I have on my "to order" list. New books and resources are helpful because I've found that I have kept up my interest on healthy eating with reading more and more about volumetric-like info.

To answer Art Cat's question from earlier, I actually have increased exercise gently over the months. I used to be way over the top with too much. I started to experience constant knee pain that was unbearable by last Fall. I stopped almost everything except walking for a few months then in January slowly added in three days a week of Biggest Loser aerobics (dvds at home). Each month I added. I added in the FIRM: 500 calorie burn a few months and that's done awesome muscle toning.

Now, I'm listing myself on body calculators and on my new Taylor body fat measuring scale as a female athlete to calculate my lean muscle mass right.

I'm actually bowled over by really seeing what "fit" is. I think I've been delusional for many years when I thought I was fit. Looking back mentally and in photos, I was not fit. I had many people also supporting my delusion because they knew just how much I walked and worked out. They were just as ignorant as me about the basics of food and exercise.

Now I know that walking is good but must be equally paired with modest portions. An hour walk for a 5'4" 40-something female is not ever going to pay off a half a giant cheese pizza. I was never good at math but there you go. The truth is in the basics. I just never realized how little the walking compensated for different foods or the portions.

Now, I'm focusing on portions, food density, and exercise. Woo hooo!

joma
08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice! Yes, I am done with tallies as well. I'm not look for rapid weight loss, but rather steady, healthy weight loss that I can sustain this time. Sounds like this is the best route for me. I had already started by adding more fruits and veg (I make sure to have one or the other with every meal or snack now) and I love eating vegitarian whenever I can, so I think the transition shouldn't be too hard. I will definetely look for The Diet Denominator.

Wish me luck!
- Joanna

joma
08-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Okay, I just order The Diet Denominator. Can't wait to get it!

Just a word of advice to any Canadians (like me) ordering this book. Amazon.ca says the book is not being released until November! I ended up ordering off of the US site - Amazon.com. It was slightly more expensive (19.71 USD with taxes and shipping instead of 17.61 CAD with taxes and shipping) but I will get it several months sooner. Here's hoping I don't get stuck with any customs/duty charges...

butterflyinprogress
08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
joma, the book is good and the author also has a website, diet denominator.com or something like that.

Be forewarned - the book must be self-published, or at the very least by an unknown publisher because the editiing is just awful. But focus on the content of the book - which is great! I can easily ignore the typos, but some folks go nuts when books are not edited well. I wish one of the huge publishing houses had published his book. I am afraid it will get no press and get lost in the shuffle.

I wrote the author a thank you letter, and he answered me! I think he's on to a great idea and he also explains the whole concept of volumetrics very well.

Anyway, this is a great thread - iaradajinos, thank you for the pm; I emailed you back and hope you got it.

Starting tomorrow I've decided to go vegetarian. I can never go vegan, love my eggs and dairy too much - but I know I can be a lacto ovo vegetarian.

Have a great day everyone.

butterflyinprogress
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
p.s. and I apologize for not mentioning it before, but he has a useful tool on his website, an energy density calculator which will calculate the ED of any food. Frankly, I have a little calculator I just use, but if you're sitting in front of the computer with your food label, just punch in the numbers and the on-line calculator will give you the ED.

newchance
08-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, I've searched and searched, and 3 fat chicks is the only diet forum that has a Volumetrics forum.

Count me in.

The Diet Denominator is definitely for me; checked out the website. That calculator is fun!

iaradajnos
08-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Hello friends. I am up early to get in a workout before five kids wake up to eager calls for home made pancakes. It's Saturday, school vacation, and a sleepover.

We went out as a two family group to a local children's museum lastnight (without my hubby since he had to work & the other mom joined us later). She and I have both dropped pounds but she's mostly done it on her own--quietly. Not much of a talker about what's she's doing. She's a wonderful lady and I'm so glad for her success. I'm a bit more of a "sharer" and tell everybody my business with only slight encouragement. Lately, I've gotten lots of glory because I am thinner and closer to goal but she looks so amazing. I'm hoping for my glory to lighten up a bit and for her own star to sparkle nice a bright with her success. She's always so supportive and congratulates me often.

Anyway, we were chatting and catching up. I told her I'm only a few pounds from "goal" (which I had to explain since she's not on our 3fatchicks forum) and really worried. I keep looking in the mirror expecting all the weight to be back on. So, I told her it's like my absolute fear of buying a new white outfit (which I'd NEVER do) and then walking around for the rest of my life trying to keep it clean. Since, her husband and I had earlier gone out with all the kids for dinner (before she joined us), she knew my pants had some juicy marks on the thigh.

Two other thoughts:
1) At dinner with all the kids, thier dad ordered two large cheese pizzas at the food court (my three most vulnerable situations: food court, pizza, and hungry family and friends). A new restaurant was right next to the pizza (Chici--I think). I checked out their menu which was an upper end sandwich, pannini style place. The cool thing was they had a variety of menu items up on the board with calories posted--for all to see right next to the price. Cool. They had 300, 333, 380, 430 sandwich options on in that section. I was thrilled. I ordered the very yummy roasted veges with cheese (333) including an option of either chips or carrot sticks (I got carrots).
2) yesterday I came home in the middle of the day and joined my hubby for lunch. He was cooking some ethnic yummy food from his country. I had already planned out my meal and the fixings were all ready in the frig. I had cooked up a couple days ago an apple, fennel and onion "bake" (with very light oil, light salt, light nutmeg, and fresh ground black pepper). On a bed of iceberg, I sprinkled low-fat cheddar cheese and one Tablespoon fine chopped pecans. In the microwave, I heated a cup of apple/fennel/onion and spread on top. I estimated this at about 300.

I ate this meal without adding any dressing and just loved it. My 10 yr old son loves salads--without ANY dressing! So, with him in mind, I'm trying to cut out most or all dressing. The salad bedding is my new volumetrics-inspired style. Whatever I'm eating gets put over baby spinach or chopped lettuce. Working out great.

ArtCat
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
That's a good idea- to just put anything you're eating (pretty much) over fresh spinach or some sort of lettuce. I'll have to try that! Thanks, iaradajnos!

newchance
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah, that is a good idea. I once had a coworker who told me he kept his weight down by cooking up a Lean Cuisine and just dumping it over a huge bowl of lettuce or salad and eating it. He didn't cook so this was perfect for him.

I think I am going to start trying that soon.

iaradajnos
08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I also tried this over lightly wilted (fried) bean sprouts (w 1/2-1 tsp oil, chopped onion, crushed garlic, about 1/4 c crushed tomatoe, and a couple spices). Just as filling (~75 calories).

Zephyr
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi - I am ready to start -- and I think the support of a bunch of like-minded women will be incredibly motivating and helpful! I really hope this thread continues! I have 25 pounds that have crept up on me over the past 7 years, and I feel self-conscious and unhappy. I do not have a huge sweet tooth, but have a huge appetite, eat too fast, and crave savory carbs.

I think volumetrics is worth a try. I have read lots of old posts from this thread and am very encouraged by people who have stuck to this philosophy over the long haul. I would really appreciate any tips/pointers you could give me.

Height - 5'5"
Weight - 156
Goal - 130

iaradajnos
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Welcome Zephyr. I am on vacation far from home but hopped on line today for a brief hour. Like you, I also prefer savory items and am not really in to a sweet tooth. I had horrible portion control and occassional binges. I'm basically at goal (and that's only in the past week; so I'm a newbie). My best strategies have been calorie counting, volumetrics, and exercise.

As for tips and pointers, I'm sure you're tooling around the internet and 3fatchicks to learn. There are several different conversations over the past few months on volumetics. Hope these threads are helpful.

Some of the Recommended Books:
1) There's Barbara Rolls' The Volumetrics Eating Plan".
2) In this particular thread, we've heard from a participant about the Diet Denominator by Dr. Frank Bottone.
There are more but not off the top of my head.

Some Highlights for Eating Strategies:
(Mostly from the Volumetrics Eating Plan)
1) Eat every few hours (preferably at the same time each day)
---I eat at about 6:30am, 10:30am, 2:30pm, 6:30pm
2) Eat low-energy density foods
a) check out the above books
b) review nutritiondata.com for nutrition info on each food including "filling level"
c) review other sources for long lists of low-energy foods
3) Enjoy each meal you make, to the fullest!
4) Make sure you balance each day with all the food groups; lots of color in the veggies and fruits; whole grains; etc.
5) Learn about nutrition, recipes (in the areas you like), healthy food, unhealthy food and ingredients, and low-energy density.
6) Keep a journal for each meal (and exercise) counting the calories for each item in a dish if you make it, or by prepared foods
--watch out for tricks with companies who give a limited number of food items in a bag but list calories for more servings.

Some Exercise Ideas:
1) Determine your health abilities and limits (with a doctor, if necessary)
2) Identify some personal goals including such things like strength, weight loss, and a time table.
3) Consider physical exercise, active living, and fitness as important and consistent as tooth brushing

General Thoughts:
1) Plan plan plan: every evening plan out the next day
a) where will you be going?
b) where will you be at the time you are going to eat?
c) what is your calorie and nutrition goals for the day?
d) what's in the fridge you need to move?
e) what ingredients do you need?
f) write it all down in pencil, correct and update during the next day as you eat
2) Measure Measure Measure: always portion everything out.
a) buy some favorite measuring cups, spoons, scales
b) pre-portion out snacks in baggies and plastic containers
c) eating basically the same meals helps to cut down on looking up nutrition info on new foods (I generally eat the same meals then add in a new one to mix it up. Once I know that calorie count by heart, it can become a regular meal easily)
3) Enjoy enjoy enjoy: choose foods you really like
4) Strategize: When I started, I made out a 10 month weight loss strategy that was exceptionally modest (one pound per week). It allowed for the potential injury, illness, and interferences of life. I planned to have a bottom minimum (no matter what) of 250 calories less each day of food and 250 calories more exercise each day. I sneaked in additional exercise (in the beginning it was mostly active living...walking, biking, playing with kids, etc. but then added a planned workout each week). I reduced calories, increased low-energy density foods, eliminated wasteful foods (like butter, mayo, etc.), and found enjoyable alternatives to favorite staples (egg whites, almond milk, etc.)

spcdcider
08-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Well I have been back as far as 3/28/07 trying to read all the posts from there. Great work all. I have ordered the books from EBAY. I went to the library today and it was not in. So, waiting. I hope the threads continue and do not die as I want to climb on board. LOL!

judipurple
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Welcome, spcdcider! The books are a great help, and so is this forum. 3FC is fab for providing support on this journey, and although the Volumetrics link can be sporadic as far as frequencies;) of postings is concerned, there are many who pop in, and others who might lurk - if you haven't seen a recent posting here, it isn't due to lack of interest, I assure you! If you have a question or want to share, feel free - there are a "core" group who frequent this portion of the 3FC domain, and if we can help or just give you a pat on the back or a :hug:, we will. Be sure to check out the other threads as well - for me, the weight loss support and calorie counter threads are great sources of info and inspiration. Visit several threads that might sound interesting - I can honestly say that there isn't a community on the 'web' that is as wonderful, enlightening, educational and heartwarming as 3FC.

gailr42
09-02-2009, 12:28 AM
So, how is everyone doing? Nothing new or interesting going on here. I bought broccoli and fennel yesterday. Not sure what I will do with the fennel.

ArtCat
09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Things aren't too exciting here, either. I walked to the farmer's market yesterday and bought too much, so I had to carry it all home again (made the same mistake last week!) I guess I can count it as adding to my weight-bearing exercise! I bought peaches, nectarines, zucchini, cucumbers, apples and blueberries. I just love the farmer's market! In my home garden I'm harvesting tomatoes, greens, peppers and basil.

Does anyone have exciting, fun plans for the holiday weekend? We don't, but the weather looks nice.

Gail- I've roasted the fennel bulbs before and they were good. Not fantastic, though, so maybe you can find a more interesting way to use them. I thought they were surprisingly lacking in taste- I was hoping for the licorice pop that you get from fennel seeds, but didn't find it.

gailr42
09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Fennel reminds me of celery. I just wanted something different. Maybe it would be good roasted with other things like bell pepper and onions or garlic.

We are getting together with our neighbors for a picnic. She always makes something good. He is Mexican and likes to eat some of the more exotic Mexican stuff. I bought a bag of frozen octopus legs/squid tentacles and who knows what seafood parts to do a sort of seviche type salad. Carlos and I will be the only ones eating it. LOL. Hmmm....maybe I'll throw a little fennel in the mix.

iaradajnos
09-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone. I'm back from vacation. Glad to have gone, enjoyed being "off", but also very glad to be back. I'm sharing a favorite fennel recipe below; a few thoughts about exercise, salt, and using volumetrics to save money; and a new magazine I found.

On vacation, I made a yummy fennel, apple, and onion savory dish. My relatives enjoyed this new dish. I learned it a few years ago from a friend who is Hebrew language instructor. I've both baked this and fried in light oil.

Recipe
1 Whole fennel, sliced
2-3 Sweet apples, cored, chopped
1 Valdalia onion, sliced (same width as fennel)
1 Tbsp Canola oil
1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Salt

Heat oil in a large (cast iron) pan. Add onions and fry until just lightly carmelized. Add fennel and apples. Mix in pan together, add pepper and salt. Cover and turn down the heat to medium or medium-low. Check and stir occassionally. Makes 4-6 servings.

Note: This is yummy with the sweetness encouraged. So carmelizing onions, adding sweet apples, and plain flavor oil will keep that going. You might consider adding a bit of honey, raw sugar, or artificial sweetner (I use "Truvia").

I understand fennel and apples taste great with pork. I prefer this as a main entre where I cover a large plate with fresh baby spinach then pour about 1 to 1 1/2 cups hot fennel dish on top. I always have a calcium-rich/dairy item with each meal. So, for this one, I sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. If you want to add pork, try a savory spice rub and back in the oven. You can slice up and place 2 ounces on top of the hot fennel and fresh spinach.

On reflections for vacation, I really enjoyed getting my exercise routine accomplished. Over fourteen days, I exercised my regular routine ten days. We also went for long walks a bunch of days. I purposely enjoyed lots of treat foods. On our Amtrak train lay-over in Chicago, we walked all the way to the world famous Buckingham Fountain. The boys "rip-sticked" over and ran around the fountain a whole bunch of times. Great exercise during a long train trip.

I gave up salt before vacation and found myself once reaching for the shaker but remembering just in time. As a major salt fan, I'm very surprised how easily I gave it up. Not a problem at all. In fact, I didn't choose to share my son's fries because I wouldn't be able to salt them up. That's a win-win!

For mayo, I'm planning on substituting pickles (or avacado but I really don't eat mayo foods nor have avacados normally around so it's mostly my idea not actually).

Now, I'm giving up sodas as of Tuesday. I told myself last vacation that I'd treat myself to diet soda while "dieting" but now that I'm at goal I'm done.

From Tuesday, we're going to budget ourselves very closely to both keep me on my volumetrics track but to save money. I'm planning on leaving my job next summer so I want to "practice" with reduced discretionary funds. This idea is from the suggestions about buying a house (i.e., figure out how much it will cost monthly for mortgage and other expenses, pay your "mortgage" estimate each month for six months, and if you were successful you can afford to buy a house).

I've always felt that my over eating was also over spending on foods at the grocery and eating out. So, we're basically going to keep focused on volumetrics and modest spending--all in one.

By the way, I'm really enjoying a magazine I found at the news stand: http://www.fitnessrxmag.com/inthisissue.php. It has lots of great information. You must totally ignore the advertising--all "magic" weight loss potions. However, the articles all promote the fact that nothing but good nutrition and healthy fitness. Fabulous charts about exercise and nutrition. Very useful.

Happy Labor Day.

iaradajnos
09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Volumetrics and the Fall--anyone?

What recipes are you looking forward to for keeping low-density foods primary on the plate?

I've been out on vacation and really missed my routine. I am so close to my goal that I'm adding in new things to keep me focused:
1) gave up salt a month ago
2) gave up all diet soda and flavorings for water
3) giving up most dining out

For me, I've really abused salt and it's gotten worse and worse. Luckily, I don't have any health issues from it but I certainly can see how bloated I get. For diet soda, my teeth were getting discolored because of the acid. I'm also wasting alot of money. As for dining out, it's been increasing more and more. It's almost impossible to stay on low-density food plan if I'm heading off.

I want to lose these last few pounds but vacation and a hip injury are slowing me down. I'm back on track, though. Another reason for me to restrict soda and dining out--preparation for next year's school. We'll be living very low income while I'm in a phd program. I thought we'd "practise" now to see how we can do it and save everything extra we don't spend.

What are your low-density food favorites and challenges?

judipurple
09-11-2009, 06:00 PM
favorite low-density foods? Well, besides veggie soups, I love making broccoli slaw - with shredded jicama, cukes, snow peas, and dressing it with a ginger/sesame dressing, and a sprinkling of toasted sunflower seeds or almonds. The only problem is the kids drill it too, so I rarely get seconds! The other is spinach salad, and sometimes dolling it up with sauteed firm tofu (other than eldest son, I'm the only one eating that).

The garden is LOADED with winter squash, so I'll be coming up with different ways of cooking them, once the weather cools.

gailr42
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
The fennel recipe sounds good!

My octopus legs/squid ring salad came out pretty good. Just sort of a marinated seafood salad. Not particularly volumetric, but not hi calorie either.

ArtCat
09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I walked to the Farmer's Market today (I do it every Tuesday), and I bought too much stuff! Acorn squash, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, peaches, nectarines, apples, zucchini and plums. Unfortunately, I had to carry it all home, and it was really heavy. I was wondering if it weighed as much as the weight I've lost so far, so I weighed it when I got home and it was only 25 lbs. That seemed too light, but it still illustrates my purpose of inspiring myself by carrying around the amount of weight I've lost. Since my heaviest, I've lost 60 lbs, so that's a lot more than what I carried home today!

Jennifer 3FC
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Ladies, I am sorry to bring the news that Meowee passed away this afternoon to an aggressive bout with cancer. We have a condolence thread going for her family here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/182218-meowee.html#post2934961). Please feel free to post on it, and we will send the link to her family so they can read how much she meant to so many people.

ArtCat
09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm just in shock! I had no idea that she was that sick.

judipurple
09-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Oh, no - how sad and heart-wrenching. Meowee will truly be missed. Her wisdom, gentleness and strength was deeply appreciated, and I pray that she is now pain free in the palm of the Creator's hand. I lift her family and friends in hopes that they find some comfort in this time of loss. ...sigh...such a difficult time...

sunnysky
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been reading these boards for a while and finally have decided this is the plan for me. I am 43 and entered the overweight catagory for the first time in my life. I am ready to make a change that will be a lasting lifestyle. I just wanted to say hi and hope to get to know you all better.

ArtCat
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Welcome, sunnysky! This is definitely a sustainable way of life!

sunnysky
09-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks ArtCat. Tomorrow will be my first full week on plan and so far I am happy with the scale. Where in Michigan are you from? I am near Detroit. You have an impressive loss so far. Great Job! :carrot:

ArtCat
09-25-2009, 05:21 PM
I live just outside Grand Rapids, on the west side.
Thanks for the complement- I actually weight a little less but am afraid to officially post it. I make myself wait a couple of weeks to make sure it's a real loss, then post it. It's taken a long time, but from what I hear, that's the way to make it stick. And that's where Volumetrics comes into play.

sunnysky
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I have been to Grand Rapids before for a concert. It is a very nice city.

I know what you mean about wanting to wait a few weeks before you update your ticker. I have dropped into the 160's a few times just to bounce right back into the 170's. It's very frustrating.

I had my first weigh in since starting the plan and I lost 1.5 pounds. I am very happy with that.:cheer2:

ArtCat
09-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

sunnysky
09-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks ArtCat. This weekend was a bit of a challenge, but I did better than past weekends.

iaradajnos
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I have been looking back on my calorie counting notebook to find inspirations. We're in to the Fall now and I'm ready to change my summer meals to soups and hotdishes. It's really interesting to look back over the meals and days these past months. I think some of the meals were transitioning to a new lifestyle and I may never eat again. While there are many that are very seasonal. I have been doing volumetrics from January which is when I started my weight loss. So, everything fits the V Plan. As I near my goal weight, I'm thinking about what will change and it's a struggle to see what to change. I have enjoyed these meals: they're filling, tasty, simple, and cost effective. Hard to argue with that. The only additional items I know I really want to integrate more fully are the MUFAs. While on weight loss calories levels, I couldn't really "afford" the calories of a full serving of MUFAs. Now, I'm looking forward to a full serving of nuts or a tablespoon of olive oil. Thankfully, my (sweet) treat of choice is dark chocolate which is also a MUFA.

I wonder what other folks on volumetrics will add (or fold) in to your plan once you maintain?

ArtCat
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Things are so quiet here, I thought I'd check back in and see if the thread was still going. How's everyone doing?

judipurple
10-17-2009, 06:08 PM
still popping in periodically - been busy with life and all that. started the winter soups - we got snow the other day -!!!

ArtCat
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
It just really feels different here with Meowee gone...

judipurple
10-19-2009, 12:28 PM
yes, you're right, Artcat...she is missed, and this community is feeling the emptiness - as am I - her "spot" is still there, but she isn't...I feel as if I'm not communicating it right...:::shaking head:::...her postings added a spark to this thread...

:::walks away, shaking head, wiping a tear:::

sunnysky
10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,
I had forgotten about this thread and ran back across it today. things are still going well for me. I am bouncing around a little on the scale, but have dropped 1 inch off my waist size. I am happy with the plan so far.

I am so sorry for the loss of meowee. maybe we can keep this thread going. It sounds like she would have liked that.

iaradajnos
10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi,
Glad you're doing well. Awesome on the waist works. Very good.

I'm still promoting to folks about volumetrics. Yesterday, I ran in to a meter maid (we work for the same city govt). As a walker and non-car owner, they all know I'm a big fan of their efforts. So, we were chatting it up. She actually is a gastric bi-pass patient and having to make dietary changes and figure out protein options.

I was telling her about how I've switched from rice and pasta to bean sprouts, jicama, lettuce, and baby spinach under yummy savory dishes. She was pretty interested and skeptical at the same time. We had a great time chatting. As I walked away, I really did realize just how far I've come down a long road.

For these random people, they think I made 100 changes in one day. But looking back, I've been making minor changes over the past years. It makes me less skeptical of the health groups in my community who really are asking people to make minor changes. I used to think--oh, come on. When a friend of mine was going to yoga once a week and biking an hour or two a week, I was thinking that this will never help her to lose 100 pounds. Well, she looks awesome and is about a size 12 or 14. Just awesome.

So, here's to minor, slow, and tiny movements!

Oh, my own update is a bit shakier. I have a final push to my goal to 138. I've really hit a wall with a nasty sciatica flare up that's very painful and a bad cold that's not letting me rest.

My "turn around" self-chats are that I had many troubles this whole year but NOTHING stopped me. I was pretty intense and focused. I can't seem to grab that same tiger's tail. I do need to get to that point though. Since January, my mantra was "me at the center". I focused on me no matter what, I never let my work or family crisis stop me from planning food, preparing my meals in the morning, and exercising. I'm looking for that point in myself again.

My nerve issue is getting on track and I've a call in to the nurse to hope to resolve this hacking cough.

Step by step, inch by inch. I may be moving extremely slowly toward my final goal but forward is my direction and I've got "me at the center".

ArtCat
10-29-2009, 09:29 AM
What's that saying? Something about how you can tell the mark of a man not by how he handles success but how he handles failure? It sounds like you're on the right track, iaradajnos, keep struggling towards what you know you need. And I understand completely what you mean by the little steps. Sometimes I get flashbacks about things I used to eat or do, and I'm kind of horrified, so I know I've definitely made some long term changes, too. Small steps!

gailr42
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I miss Linda, too.

I just got back from A2 - is that how they write it? Ann Arbor, anyway. We went to The Common Grill in Chelsea, MI. I had lobster soup, and sea food pasta among other things. This was one of the best meals I have had anywhere. Certainly not low cal/volumetric!!!!

ArtCat
11-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes, A2 is how we write it, and yes, there's incredible restaurants there and in the whole area. Almost any nationality you can think of! It's probably good I don't live there...

gailr42
12-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I know it's a good thing I don't live there!

I have had a pretty bad case of the stomach flu and lost a few pounds. I definitely do not recommend the flu for weight loss...Blech.

ArtCat
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, those kinds of pounds lost usually come right back on.

How did everyone do over Thanksgiving? My weight stayed the same, but I feel like I gained weight. I'm not walking as much since the snow started flying, so maybe that's it. I need a good exercise plan for the winter. Anyone have any good ideas? Does anyone use the Wii Fit stuff?

judipurple
12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hiya, Artcat & Gail! Thanksgiving (and the days surrounding it) were a little nuts, calorie-wise. I had stopped posting my #'s on fitday for several weeks, and it shows on the scale! I am up to 189 +/-, but have started on fitday again. I just wanted a break - after nearly 2 years of keeping track....that, and a real craving to bake and cook! It's like that creativity just HAD to come out! So, when DH's friend dropped off 18 (!?!?!!!) pheasants, I smoked the breasts and made confit with the legs. Did you know that confit is nothing more than duck or pheasant legs cooked in fat?!?! Chicken fat....deadly stuff....in more ways than one. That lead to making venison stew and canning 8 jars of it, for future suppers. Then the cookie cooking started...well, you can guess where that led!

And, since going back to work in September, I haven't been working out at all. I have the WiiFit - and have used it ... just not recently! Gotta carve out some time for ME again - the treadmill is presently being used to hang clothes. Not good.

ArtCat
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I had a parade of people visiting and staying with us during the weeks surrounding Thanksgiving, so it's hard to not respond by baking and cooking for them. Now that things have quieted down I don't have any more excuses. My husband's into making jerky lately, so we now have beef, venison, wild turkey and whitefish jerky around the house. I'm not sure how bad it is for you- I know it's really high in salt. I think we'll freeze most of it and give it away around Christmas.
This is also my busy time at work, so I usually respond by eating away my stress- that's where I'm hoping the exercise will come in, to replace the emotional eating. We're getting ready for a big winter storm, so at least I can count on getting some shoveling in!

gailr42
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Cooked in chicken fat! I suppose that's one of those things that you only eat a tiny bit of every 50 years or so. I admire you for knowing what to do with all that game.

iaradajnos
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, I will share that our family does not celebrate events so we do pass by the tempting foods and such. After this most recent event, folks came back to the office with lots of extra pecan pies and goodies. I passed these up as I recently felt a need to buckle down again to my volumetrics, calorie counting, and exercise.

I was just on line and found that I have "jumper's knee" which means I need to drastically scale back walking and exercise. It means that I'll need to rely on just my volumetrics and CC for a couple weeks. The websites sound worrisome so I hope I'll resolve the problem quickly. I need to be very conservative with the rest before getting back to jumping or squats. Argh, just when I was thoroughly enjoying my exercising. Well, that's probably the problem. I get too enthusiastic.

So, I wonder if there are any folks out there interested in sharing our volumetrics and calorie counting logs, meals, strategies, etc. I'm hoping to make it down to my final goal weight by my year anniversary of starting this weight loss plan.

Readinglady
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi I wondered if this thread is still active. Is anyone still sharing recipes?

iaradajnos
05-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd love to have this thread active. As you can see, I was the last to post and it was December. I've been enjoying more voluemtrics-style meals and continue to be a big proponent of this type of eating. I do know that there are many ways to success, though, so I don't devalue other ways.

For my recent meals, I've actually---gasp---gone without any dressing on my salads! I can't tell you how shocking that is but I'm so pleased with the ingredients I've topped my romaine hearts and spinach. My goal is usually enjoyability first within the volumetrics style but I'm always looking at my food groups with special attention to calcium, protein, and iron content. Last night's salad had chopped pickled herring with onions & soynuts. I want something that totally ZINGS my taste buds. So, another salad I enjoy has cranberries, parmasene, fresh ground horseradish, and soynuts. I sometimes substitute chopped prunes or raisins. On my sub sandwiches, I'm famous locally at subshops for my substitution away from mayo by requesting tons of chopped pickles. Hmmmm. It's DEE-licious.

More ideas are so welcome. I love to talk excercise, food, and positive motivation. More the merrier.

ArtCat
05-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm still here! I know that for me, personally, it's been difficult to think about this thread without thinking about losing Meowee, but I realize that life must go on, and she would have preferred that her work not have been wasted.

I've been pretty well stuck where I was at the last posting. I've continued to eat well and exercise, but I think my body's looking for something different. I loved the idea from someone here about eating stuff on torn fresh spinach, so every time we have chili or spaghetti or something like that, I cram it full of veggies and then serve it on the spinach. I think it's pretty good.

I've also discovered TVP- Textured Vegetable Protein. You rehydrate it and use it like you would ground turkey. It's great in spaghetti sauce, chili, etc.
That's all I have for now- I'm curious to see who's still around-

themiddleway
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I am glad I found this thread. I have the book Volumetrics by Barbara Rolls, and I have gone through a lot of the old threads by searching "volumetrics". I found references to a few good books I bought. The best is The Diet Denominator which is a true Volumetrics program, and I am following that.

I don't know why this way of eating is not more popular. I am glad to see this topic revived, and I would like to be part of this thread and keep it going.

iaradajnos
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
So, I'm wondering what keeps a "volumetrics" thread alive? What would we like to discuss? I like talking recipes, motivations, challenges, and such.

I've been reading the monthly mag "Prevention" they've got many of the strategies that I follow. Now that I'm 1 1/2 years in to my volumetrics lifestyle, I kind of get it and read through each month's volume quickly. I personally feel like it's important to find folks living the same lifestyle and supporting that, finding the fun in it and the like. I just can't find anything new. Volumetrics is a simple strategy that I'm becoming instinctive with. It's keeping it fresh. In the beginning, I read every mag, website, blog, etc. I never had anyone around me interested in volumetrics--even though there were many people trying to lose weight.

Each month, I'd be four or six pounds thinner and they'd say "way to go, what do you do?" I'd get excited and start talking but they'd lose interest. I think the biggest reaction was the disbelief that "water-rich" foods can be enjoyable.

What do you think are the reasons you can eat the voluemtrics way?

themiddleway
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, for me it's because I don't have to count anything. At least that's how I work it. I know a lot of folks still count calories using volumetric principles. I don't and won't.

I use the suggestions in the Diet Denominator book and keep most of my foods at ED 3 or less. Usually less. In fact when I finally gave up nuts, which have a very high energy density, I really started to lose. I know we can have small amounts of higher density stuff, but for me personally, I just avoid them except in small quantities in recipes.

So yeah, after the initial figuring of the caloric density of food or recipe, I know what I'm eating and just enjoy.

I was looking for a plan that didn't involve any counting. I tried South Beach and didn't like it. I even tried the Weight Watchers Core plan (now called the Momentum plan), and it was close to what I wanted, but still I didn't like counting weekly points for treats, etc.

So here I am. And as a disclaimer, I have to be honest and add that I'm starting over again. After several months of very high personal stress, the most emotional stress I've ever experienced in my life, I wandered away from what I was doing and ballooned.

But I'm back. That's all that matters. My husband is following this with me and we are very satisfied. I don't think I'll ever wander again - I would be a fool to.

ArtCat
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I also found that I can't count calories. For some reason, it brings out the worst in me. I do as themiddleway initially did, too, like figure out the basic value of the foods you tend to eat a lot, and then just take it from there. I try to automate my breakfast and lunch as much as possible so I don't have any question about what to eat, and what do I feel like, etc. I have been grabbing nuts as snacks, though, and I know I need to stop that. It seems as if things slowly creep up on you and unless you stop and look at everything with clear eyes, and reevaluate what you're eating, it's easy to stay stuck in the bad habits. I think having this thread come alive again would help me get out of my rut.

I haven't read the Diet Denominator- I'll have to check the library and read it. I have found it very useful to cook up large amounts of good soups and freeze it in small cups to use as snacks or before meals.

damacken
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello all,
I have just spent the last 1hr reading the last 6 pages for this way of eating you call "volumetrics". Interesting it has been what I do.....when I do try to lose weight. I, at one time lost 30 lb doing a verson of weight watchers by incorporating these principles. I have not read these books but I definetely will. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. She must have been an inspiration. I do hope that this thread continues. Thanks for the motivation.

Cheers
Deb

iaradajnos
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
So, I'm pleased to have chatting here too. (Just wanted to get that out there). I think that ArtCat and themiddleway are experienced folks. Is "counting" necessary once you've kind of figured most of it out?

I do get the "no counting" strategy (if that's the right word? maybe "philosophy"?). For me, I think of that as something I can only do now because I'm very well informed about my own food preferences, grocery/restaurant options, body/life issues, and schedule.

I started everything last Jan 09 with an epiphany & finding Barbara Rolls' book then learning portion control, the values of food (calorie, nutrition, density), and finding enjoyment PLUS control in food.

For me, I just had no idea of portioning or about food in general. So, last year I think I needed to learn about food in general and I used the Volumetrics "door" to enter that building of thought. (If that analogy makes sense). As I "mastered" food vis-a-vis me (and all my good and bad qualities), I have been more able to personalize my strategy and start experimenting with just living.

By August 09, I felt very confident on food but then spiraled out of control with my body (I had over done certain exercises that I LOVED but my body just couldn't do at that extreme level). From August onwards, I had to really learn how to LIVE and not rely on exercising 1000 calories off the next morning. For nine months or so, I ate 1350 or so calories and kicked butt on exercising. But without high impact exercise, I did gain weight--my scale broke (Taylor scales are not good)--but don't really know how much.

Now, it's May, post physical therapy, and I feel so much better physically but also food-wise. I just get myself now. I know that I will need (at least over the next few years) to plan in periods where I sharpened up my food to correct and kick out all the bad habits that I let in from laziness, stress, emotional eating, and just plan "unawareness".

When I started losing weight last year, I gave myself a three year plan. First year---95 to 100 percent compliance on food plans and exercise. Second year--80 to 95 percent compliance with expectation of possible yo-yo gains and occassional binges. Third year--flexibility with better control, less yo-yo gains, and less binging.

I'm about half way now. I'm almost back to my August (thinnest/strongest) weight. I do think the only way I was successful last year was because I almost never had an off day. I planned (and counted) everything. It was so empowering because I kept on plan for eight months even when my father-in-law passed away and my husband left the country to be with his family hours later leaving me with two small kids and a very busy Spring. I was so proud that I was rolling with Life's challenges--illness, missing spouse, small injuries, busy work, etc.

Now, I need to know that I can never drop less than about 85 percent compliance. Meaning that I can only take off two days in a week for my evening yoga and PT exercises--I need those no matter if I'm exhausted or sick. I know I'll just get worse if I don't stay vigilant. I also know that I can't miss my morning dvd aerobic exercises (three to four each week). I also know that I will likely always have to eat volumetrics-style food and stay with four small meals most days.

I only count now because I'm trying to really get these last pounds off. I was a size 6-8 last August. I'm now a solid 8 (no sixes). I really would like to see if I can become a solid 6 as I can feel like that's a possibly sustainable size for me. So, I'm back to portion control, counting, and journaling. But otherwise, I feel like I'll be pretty good without counting for a maintenance strategy (as long as I build in the occassional "sharpening" periods).

ArtCat
05-13-2010, 04:30 PM
I can see having to count when you get closer towards your goal. At this point, I'm still 30-40lbs away, and I know myself well enough to know that if I'm too strict with myself, I'll rebel against it all. It sounds stupid, but it's what I've learned the hard way in the past.

I've discovered that I use food as an emotional crutch, and volumetrics is helpful there, because I can feel satiated without relying on higher calorie food to get that same feeling. I need to be more consistent and more vigorous with my exercise. I have a huge problem with migraines, and use them as an excuse for not exercising a lot. There's a fine line between vigorous exercise and vigorous exercise that triggers a migraine, and I'm still trying to find that line. It's easier to avoid it, but in the long run I won't ever make my goal if I don't take risks and find that line.

In the meantime, at least I'm eating healthier, and I'm so happy that summer's coming because then the veggie choices get so much better!

iaradajnos
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I have a similar case with "the line". My vigor kept me marching towards my goal and later was going to be my crutch to allow me to binge eat. With the loss of vigorous exercise, I had to find a new and less forgiving line.

My line is how high of an impact in aerobics can I do before I start irritating my sciatica and knees. But it's coupled with my general need to have a high expectation of myself for self care--night care for my joints with sit-ups, my day care for calorie burn and fitness, eating mostly very well with some flexibility on occassion.

I think of the counting as rigorous attention. I want to try to make my eating more organic--not so "rigorous". I dabble with the idea that maybe I can just be what some of my friends are--generally, naturally healthy. But then, I wonder if that's ignoring my addiction issues with food and overeating. I still over eat but now I wait so many days before I can get away with a meal (or couple days) with low cost to weight gain. Or I can be generally, naturally healthy but just have to have more mindfulness with that.

judipurple
05-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Liz, et al! OMG, I haven't stopped in here in several weeks - imagine my delight to find postings again! I have gone up in numbers, but refuse to change my profile (stubborn and in denial) - I know that I'll get back down into the 180's...

I am busy out in the garden and the yard - digging, pushing full wheelbarrows of topsoil, raking...it feels SO GOOD to get my hands in the dirt!

Welcome to our newest Volumetrics "converts" - it got me started on this latest trip backwards through the numbers on my scale, and I use it combined with calorie counting (FItDay). I started in the upper 220's, so it does work!

ArtCat
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi judipurple! Yes, I crept up, too, over the winter, but I previously never changed my numbers here, so in the end I've come up even. Thankfully, it's always easier when the weather gets better and the fresh local produce comes in, so I'm ready to give it another go! We don't even have our veggie garden planted yet, though, so I guess that needs to be step 1.

LittleElla
05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Just thought I'd jump in here as I am doing The Diet Denominator and can't find any other threads on caloric density on ANY websites. Amazing!

I am slowly losing weight. This plan is truly a blessing. I have about 60 pounds to lose. Can't believe I let myself go so badly.

LittleElla
05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
P.S. Prior to this I was following an Atkins-type plan. Never again!

iaradajnos
05-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I also crept up on numbers and was doing well to get back down until last week. I took a post-grad research course this term ("for fun!" I kept telling myself). The submission was due yesterday so this past week I lived research and writing at all hours constantly. I am sore from no exercise & yoga, also gained a bit back as I gave myself permission to eat anything at any hour. In the "what have we learned about all this" category, when given full permission to do anything I didn't have time or interest to do that bad. So, I'm actually kind of glad.

Anyway, I'm looking for new food tricks. Did I say that I'm a fan of DRY salads?

iaradajnos
05-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Another...

I started my message this morning but was too busy to send until now. I see LittleElla's message and just wanted to say hello.

I also enjoy caloric density. I love www.nutritiondata.com which started me first on density before I read Barbara Rolls' book. It gives thorough nutrition on food. Because I don't eat packaged foods, I am always looking for calorie sites that will give nutrition for natural-form goods.

LittleElla
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the hello!

I thought I'd jump in here and ask how everyone is following the Volumetrics concept. I know there are many ways. Jenny Craig uses Volumetrics principles with their prepared foods. Weight Watchers now has their "Simply Filling Technique" whereby most of your foods are eaten off a list of foods low in caloric density. I know some folks still count calories, making good use of low energy density foods.

I'd say my plan, The Diet Denominator, is closest to Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique, because practically all my foods have a low caloric density. I don't weigh, measure or count anything. But I do use the energy density formula of dividing calories by grams per serving, to see how the food fits in the energy density scale. If it's too high I just don't eat it or will only eat a tiny portion.

What technique are all of you using?

iaradajnos
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Nice question to ponder. So, let's see. I have never been on any organized or structured plans. I started Jan 09 with a three year plan. My first year goal was to be extremely strict until goal achieved with a 1350 cal a day schedule of food based on Barbara Rolls' book. Since I live for quantity of food, this was perfect. I filled up a plate with so many low cal density food, I was usually quite happy. Her plan also suggested eating every few hours (I now always eat four meals a day). I was also strict to write all food down with its food group category and calorie.

One big issue for me is portion control and realistic understanding of what I actually need to keep my body performing (i.e., a massive pile of fries does not equate to well fed body). It took me about a month to believe that Barbara Rolls' philosophy of eating lots of lettuce actually keeps hunger at bay. But I was convinced after living with this style of eating. I usually over estimated or rounded up calories.

In the beginning, I exercised 3-4 times a week at home with a dvd (aerobics and toning) but I also biked and walked all the time. I tracked how much calories I burned but almost never counted my walking and underestimated everything. Later, I exercised 4-5 times a week at home plus outside recreation.

When determining my baseline need of calories, I selected a sedentary lifestyle category. This made my inactive calorie need at 1800 to 2000 a day. Since I was almost never "in active", I really felt like I probably was burning 2000-2200 a day.

What is interesting is that I over estimated calories of food, underestimated calories burned and also figured a low number for my baseline daily need. But I generally lost one and a half pounds a week from January to August 15 (7 1/2 months). So I had a 750 deficit each day. But according to my math, I really thought I had a much higher deficit. I found that my then 42 year old body metabolism may have been chugging a bit slower than expected. So, I'm glad that I was able to increase the intensity of my diet and exercise plan over the months to make goal. I don't think I would have been able to tolerate a slowly down of weight loss.

I think I learned that I need to pretty much keep to a 1350 daily calorie burn, be really active, and keep treats to the miniumum--for life. I also know that every 4-6 months I'll need to do a mini-plan for a little while to get back on track, eliminate "sneak in" food that I over do, and generally stay near my goal weight.

My research class is over and I'm looking forward to three months until I finish a full year at (around) my goal. So, I really want to focus on my general health, goal weight with enjoyment, and finding more ways to incorporate volumetrics in to daily eating.

LittleElla
05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
iara, it sounds like you have a great plan, really well thought out. I am so glad you found something that works for you. You should be really proud of yourself.

Because I am through with counting calories - for me personally it never worked long term - the longest I ever kept off my weight by counting calories/points/and or food exchanges was 1 1/2 years. I just couldn't keep it up longer than that. To me it was sheer drudgery. But I know that overeating, even low caloric density food, is not helpful. So I am also using the techniques in Paul Mckenna's book I Can Make you Thin to help me. I really love this book. It is not revolutionary, nothing new; Geneen Roth and others who specialize in overeating have all said it before (get in touch with your hunger/satiety feelings, etc). But what is revolutionary is the simplicity of this program. No psychobabble or long diatribes on emotional eating. The book just tells you what you need to do. Period. I really appreciate that.

Hopefully the Diet Denominator combined with my techniques I learned in Paul McKenna's program will help me keep off the weight for good. I should add that I'm 56 and a VERY slow loser. But I've made peace with that. I'm in this for life.

LittleElla
05-21-2010, 03:01 PM
P.S. don't get me wrong - believe me, I'm a volume eater too. No doubt about it! That's what's so great about Volumetrics! But I do have problems with stuffing myself and eating out of boredom, stress, etc. So McKenna's book really helps with that.

ArtCat
05-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the new book recommendation, LittleElla- I've always found it very helpful to read new books and roll new ideas around. It seems to keep the conversation current and in the forefront. I seem to lose steam when I vegetate and go on auto-pilot.

iaradajnos
05-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes, me too. Glad for another viewpoint. I guess I need to keep reading the same thing over and over. So, "not revolutionary" means that it's based in reality and basically the same solid advise we know but in a new voice. I agree with ArtCat. I also need to keep this life fresh. That first six months (Jan to June 2009) was awesome because I have Prevention magazine, 3FC, Barbara Rolls, and other sites. I was constantly looking up nutrition info on nutritiondata.com and other sites. After a while, I just wasn't getting anything new.

I wouldn't knock anyone who's not counting calories. I seem to still need it to keep me on track because I feel still kind of "novice" when it comes to portion size and food. More often now I pretty much know what foods I eat, know the portion size by eye-balling it, and can combine with others to make out a meal. So, I'm sort of not counting calories but still am--since its more ingrained. Now that I'm buckling down again, I'm heading back to being strict with myself. The bonus for being strict means that I will make my meals at home and save money on take out. (I've found a few local places that serve a meal within my allowed calorie goals--400 or 800).

LittleElla
05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was knocking folks who count calories. No way, in fact I wish I could still have the determination to do so - but I guess after a lifetime of dieting I've had it with tallying numbers all day! If you would have told me I'd feel this way 20 years ago I'd say "no way". I guess I'm just tired.

I believe if you have the determination to count calories and it is successful, then stick with it! Whatever it takes. Unfortunately for me it's not an option any more. That is just my personal experience. I'm giving this way of eating a try. I've decided I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and what I've learned from The Diet Denominator for one full year! If nothing else I'm eating healthier and definitely lowering my calories, even if I'm not counting them.

I think there's room enough for everyone here - I was just voicing my own personal frustration. 56 years old and still fat! We all need to do what it takes - and it's so neat that the Volumetrics concept is a great baseline to start with.

I'm really glad we have this thread.

ArtCat
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm in the "no counting calories group" and also in the "frustrated that I'm over 50 and still fat group" along with LittleElla. At least by living this food plan, I know that I'm eating much healthier, and I can say that my body feels a little happier, if not as light as I'd like it to. If I look back, I can see and feel the difference since I started, and I need to use that encouragement to get going again. At least it's fresh fruit and veggie weather, and that always makes me happy!

iaradajnos
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
So, let's talk about volumetrics favorite foods and recipes. What do you call your "go to" favorite that you can always count on for satisfaction? What's a recipe you've been repeating lately?

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-29-2010, 10:05 PM
ROASTED VEGGIES ~ onions, celery, carrots, turnip (/or parsnips), green and/or yellow beans, and sweet potatoes or butternut or other kind of squash ... OR I alternate the beans with broccoli and cauliflower (as I vary these from time to time); you can also add slices or chunks of zucchini too, if desired.

SALADS ~ I make sure to have two basic salads made up in my fridge at all times with some prepared veggies and this really helps. I make up a big container of Romaine Lettuce salad with a mix of veggies like sliced celery, onions, radishes, baby cukes, and carrot matchsticks (and just before serving, I add thin slices of tomato).

Then I also cheat a bit and buy bags of premade mixed Coleslaw (like Dole) and put that into containers; which I then add some thinly sliced onion and/or green onions and radishes. Sometimes I even mix the two salads together.

You can add whatever ingredients you want to your salads. I try to have two salads a day -- one or the other kind for lunch and for dinner to vary it a bit.

iaradajnos
05-30-2010, 12:15 PM
I like these ideas. The first one works for me too because it has this basic simplicity with lots of combo options that allow you to have the same limited thinking requirements but endless variation. The second one is also a great one--and I try to keep up myself--because it takes away the excuse factor ('cause it's always there) and is the easiest solution when you get home from work and want something quickly. My only problem is I sometimes override these easy and simple factors with less desireable options. Now that I'm back on my strict CC and home-made kick, I've removed the excuse option. For some reason, I'm either "ON" or "OFF". I did awesome last year because I was "ON" for eight months to get to (almost) goal at about 142. This year my goals is to have more options on my nozzle..."ON", "Med-low", "Medium", "Med-high" (and try to block the "OFF" optoin).

Tomorrow's our second annual joint family Memorial Day Picnic. We're very happy as this family we join together with are so enjoyable and all our kids combine as best friends. The mom and I both used last year to lose all our weight. She lost like 100 or something and just had a nice tummy tuck to flatten herself out. So, this year, I'm confident that we'll see a shared goal of delicious foods but probably all on the very healthy side. We've both been able to increase healthy activities for our spouses and kids. Her husband and she learned ice skating in the winter and the hubby bought a bike (she bought one last year). My husband got a personal trainer this winter and now is the official assistant coach for our younger boy's soccer team. All of our kids signed up for karate. The boys and I bike as commuters to school and work but not my husband who takes the bus/subway to work. I'm encouraging my hubby to buy a bike so we can bike on dates together. I also wanted us to find out about contra or square dancing as another possible dating option.

I'm looking up picnic recipes:
1) Balsamic Vinegar Pasta Salad: tons of sliced veggies, 1 lb pasta with some vinegrette
2) Jicama Mixed Salad: julienned mixed fruit and veggies, julienned jicama, with 1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice (and I'll add some Truvia if it's just me) (I use bell peppers, carrots, onions, oranges, apples, grapes, jicama, parsley or cilantro)
3) Beans and Vinegar: chick peas, kidney beans, and soybeans with a chopped onion, julienned carrots, and a diced tomatoe with a vinegrette.

I mix just olive oil (EVOO) and vinegar as my vinegrette.

My kids are weird as they regularly eat dressing-less salad, raw cauliflower and broccoli, and plain (raw) tofu slices. So, it'll be just my husband who will bring curried chicken stripes on bamboo sticks for the hibachi. He's from Nepal so it'll be delicious curry twisted to American hibachi picnic style cooking.

We might also made a potatoe Nepali chutney which has cold cubed boiled potatoes mixed with a sesame paste (and other ingredients I'm not sure of). It's delicious as a salad but Nepali cusine has this as a small addition to curried veggies, rice and lentil soup.

LittleElla
05-30-2010, 05:27 PM
My way of eating on Volumetrics:

Meats: lean to extra lean ground beef; lean steaks

Poultry: Any and all poultry without skin...also the new KFC grilled chicken is low.

Veggies: All and any, prepared without fat. I use I Can't Believe It's not butter Spray, or even better, the fat free liquid margarine called Smart Squeeze. To me this tastes just like melted butter on veggies.

Fruits: Love all of 'em - I go lightly on fruit juices and some dried fruits

Grains: Whole grains over bread and crackers. Still love my pasta and rice - just go for the whole grain variety because I find it more filling.

Sugar: Because diabetes is rampant in my family, I always use sugar substitutes instead of the real thing.

NEW FOOD FIND: I just about gave up on nuts - for me it's a trigger food. I didn't eat nuts for years and really believed it helped keep my weight down. My new food find is Fitnutz and PB2 brands of powdered peanuts. I mix 3 tb. of the powdered peanuts (basically defatted peanuts ground to a powder) with 2 tb. of bottled water. This makes a nice sized portion of "peanut butter" with a low caloric density of less than 2. I just love this stuff.

I am experimenting with baking lower caloric density baked goods. It definitely can be done.

iaradajnos
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow, I'm interested in the Fitnutz and PB2 powdered peanuts. I miss PB&J sandwiches. Last year, I did eat a half-sandwich of PB&J with my favorite jam (Lingonberry, my Norwegian roots all the way).

I'm vegetarian so that helps with my densities. This weekend's picnic was awesome. I made the veggie w pasta salad and a mixed bean salad w apple cider vinegar. My friends loved the bean salad enough to take the whole container home.

What are folks planning for volumetrics this summer?

bonbonj24
06-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Volumetrics has to be the most common sense approach to weight loss there is! I am trying to do the volumetrics + eat only real food, no preservatives or artificial sweeteners. It is a completely different way of thinking for me, but it makes so much sense! Good job everyone on your weight loss!

Les
06-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Hello to you all,

my books for the Volumetrics system have just arrived and I am ready to start next week.

I was browsing Jenny Graig's page about her diet, when I found a tiny mentioning that her diet was based (licensed out) by B. Rolls, the volumetrics system.

So I figured I will go right to the source and here I am still trying to figure out everything and reading the book (s).

For me it is a bit hard to read, because I am thinking in kg and cm :)

Well, will be around and I am sure will have lots of questions in the beginning.

Have lots of luck with loosing weight,

later,
Les

ArtCat
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Good luck Les- this is a good time of year to start because all the fresh fruits and veggies will be coming in! Add some daily movement and you'll see progress quicker!

Les
06-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks ArtCat,

my problem is, I am a dog walker for the local Shelter and I walk my *** off, or should I say I should, since it is still trailing along behind me.
So I am a pretty active person, and I also do not eat fats, at least not the ones you would spread on bread or use in cooking.
My problem at the moment is, I am skipping veggies most the time, and only eat fruit sporadically.
I am sure that is it, so I will change.

To ALL
What do you think of the Fiber One Cerial (57% Fiber)? Any good?
I eat it at the moment, but it tastes kind of sweet to me.

Chears Les

iaradajnos
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Les, Glad to have you checking in here. I'm a bit on the rabid side of volumetrics and really love talking about food densities and such. Huge fan of B Rolls.

You asked about Fiber One. I looked up the nutrition facts and saw that a 1/2 cup has 2 g protein, 14 g dietary figer, and 10% DV calcium. For me, I like the higher protein processed food such as Kashi cereal (Go Lean, 1/2 c, and Go Lean crunch, 1/3 c) with low-fat plain yogurt and fresh fruit. I'm focusing on high calcium items with each meal because I'm female, in my forties and also nursed or was pregnant for a long time.

I really thought the veggies that Volumetrics promoted was a crock but gave it a shot that first month of my weight loss last year. I did the pasta/veggie switch--decreasing pasta amount with increasing veggie. I'm now a big pro at the switch. Keeping my favorite meals but increasing veggies to over flow. I eat four times a day and track calories in a daily written journal noting which of the five food groups each serving gives me.

Last year, I worked about 8 1/2 months to lose over 35 pounds. I did the same thing last year (4 meals, calorie tracking) with each meal about 300-350 calories for a total of 1200-1400 calories per day. I over did the exercise a bit last year (my knees are shot but hopefully not permanently) and now have to lose my remaining pounds with careful eating and safe exercising.

We don't own a car and I have to travel our small city a lot so I have been a huge walker and biker. I kept waiting for the weight to come off because I was such a walker and then also biking more and more. But I found that I never did walk or bike enough (and people always considered me very active) to ever lose weight. I ended up tracking (then reducing to the 1,200 to 1,400 level) my food consumption and adding aerobic exercise about four times a week. I'd hoped that that calorie and aerobic exercise was just for the weight loss part of my lift. But now I figure that once I'm really in my maintenance phase, I'll pretty much have to stick with the same plan of aerobics 3-4 times a week, volumetric meals of 350-400 calories, and keeping all that walking and biking.

What are some your your favorite high veggie yet totally scrumptous meals and snacks?

Les
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi iaradajnos,

I am female as well :)

I have been doing the diet for two weeks now and lost 8.8 pounds.
I am still not sure what I am doing, but it works. Sure wish, that the recipes would taste better.
Today I made the Pasta Primevera and all I can say is YUCK! Eatable, but no real taste to it.

Since I did not get around to read more than a few pages, I still have to catch up with that. Maybe I can do it when I am on vacation. For now I am trying to eat as little fat as I can, and stay low with calories and eat lots of veggies and fruit.
So you see, I need lots of help.

Being original from Germany, I am used to lots of meat and sauces with starchy sides. Have lived a long time in Italy, I also like the Mediterranean food.
So I am easy with food as long there is not so much spinach in it :)

Thanks for the help about the Fiber one cereal. I will try something you suggested.

Is there a website where there are more recipes for the volumetric diet?

Thanks Les

ArtCat
06-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I've been able to keep most of my favorite recipes just by adjusting them a bit. Any meat gets switched to a lower fat meat and decreased usually by at least half. Veggies get increased so that they're at least half of the meal, and the starches get switched to whole grain or healthier options and also reduced. Any fats have been switched to canola or olive oil, and for right now I pretty much avoid and cream-type stuff, although there are options there, too.
A surprising find for me was TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)- it looks like dried soy crumbles. You rehydrate it with any flavor of liquid that you like and then use it instead of browned ground meats. It's great in spaghetti sauce, chili, etc, and you can even use it to make burgers, although that takes quite a bit of added flavors to make it palatable.
I try many new things- next on my list is Tofu Shirataki noodles as a substitute for pasta noodles- ED of .177. That suggestion is from the Hungry Girl books/website.
Les- you Mediterranean food background will be very useful for you, because that style of eating is much healthier than many others (especially American). Too bad you don't like spinach, though. I'm assuming you don't like either cooked or fresh? It's pretty useful to put in stuff.

iaradajnos
06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
ArtCat: I think you mentioned the TVP and I meant to remember it the next time I went shopping at Whole Foods.

It reminds me of when our family went to a family retreat that rented an functioning monastary in Maine. We ate cafeteria-style and got our food on trays served by "lunch ladies" who must be local Maine ladies working the kitchen. My hubby's Hindu so beef is completely "off the table" (har har har). When getting the dinner for the four of us (hubby, two little kids, and me), I asked for the "vegetarian" option. It looked like it had TVP so I got us all some. While eating it, my husband was convinced it was meat but I was just as convinced it was that "weird vegetarian stuff we haven't ever had". He wanted me to ask so I went up to the little old lunch lady and asked about what was in the vegetarian dinner. "Oh, vegetables, ground beef, and noodles," she happily responded probably thinking my next question was to ask for the recipe. I just about died since I had to report to my Hindu spousy that I'd just fed him ground sacred animal. Ewww. Apparently, remote Maine people think "vegetarian" means lots of vegetables.

As for your strategies for keeping dishes that are favorites, I have done the same. Over time, I have really watched the calories and nutrition of various food items in a favorite dish. So, a sauce I bought would eventually be made from scratch then eventually I'd switch to extremely flavorful ingredients to save calories without a sauce.

For example, I have eaten sub sandwiches with mayo but this year I switched out mayo for tons of pickles. I then started adding ground pepper to the sub for more flavor. I'd eat the left over veggies after the sub was done--basically lettuce, tomatoe, and peppered pickles. I'm now enjoying salads with no dressing made up of chopped pickles covered in ground pepper topping shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and soybeans. Weird but it's really yummy. I now have become that strange vegetarian who practically lives of lettuce.

For recipes, I think you might look back in "summertime" and "volumetrics" for various people's offerings of favorite items.

I really hope to keep us talking about how things are going and food ideas.

Les
06-26-2010, 11:20 AM
ArtCat-
Thanks for letting me know about TVP, I do like meats, but never did eat many. I got my hubby on the diet as well and he is a big meat eater. I will try it on him if I can find it.
Btw, are you flavoring it with beef broth and such or something else?

I wonder, do you guy's know Meatless Bocca Products? I have been using them off and on even before volumetrics.
What do you think?

iaradajnos-
woops, I can't believe they gave your hubby beef :o.

To All-
I found out that I like veggies a lot better with Indian spices like Curries and such. Also they make it a bit spice without being to much.
I just wish the price of the veggies would go down a bit, I spend a fortune on produce.
I can't believe I lost more weight!!!!! I am now down to 234.3pounds :carrot:

In a few moments I will have my fibre one (box has to be emptied) cereal and my 1/2 cup Smart Balance Fat Free Milk with added omega 3s & Vitamine E.
Don't know if it is any good, but it's no fat and the taste is great :)
For Lunch i will take the same I made last night. Chickpea Curry (without the spinich). I don't do sports other than walking the dogs and walking back and forth all day in the Shelter it self. So I do get a workout :dizzy:
In that heat and moisture on the air here in the south, I also have a steam bath, or some would say simmer in my own juices LMAO

Thinks to think about:
I love my simple Tzatziki sauce.
So I will see what it tastes like with fat-free yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.
This sauce can be used on just about everything on bread, in salads and defiantly on meat, just not on chicken :)
I will experiment around and if it tastes okay, I will post the recipe if you are interested.

Also, what do you think of me collection all the mentioned recipes in to a pdf or doc file, which I can host and have a link on her for new peeps like myself to download?

Just a thought.....

Forgive me if my English sucks, I never went to school for it, just picked it up on the go so to speak LOL "Thank god for spell checkers

gailr42
06-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey, I just discovered that this thread is alive again! I am another "backslider" who hasn't updated the weight chart.

I bought some TVP, but haven't had much luck using it - I will go back now and read how you all use it.

When I started Volumetrics, my husband started eating a huge salad once or twice a day right along with me. He didn't change any of his other eating habits. Just by adding the salads he managed to loose quite a bit of weight. Of course, he is a guy and we all know it is easier for men to loose weight, but still, it certainly demonstrates how volumetrics can work.

I, too, have suffered from migraines over the years. I had no idea that exercise was a trigger. Not that I ever get too much exercise....

ArtCat
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Gail! Nice to talk to you again! Heavy exercise doesn't always trigger migraines- it's just one of my triggers. It's a Catch 22, because I know from experience that if I exercise consistently at a decent level, it helps my migraines. Just getting to that level and staying there is difficult.

Yes, I usually reconstitute my TVP in some sort of broth- beef, chicken or vegetable. By itself it really tastes like nothing. We tried the Shiratake noodles last night, and they also tasted like nothing and were a little slimy. I'm not giving up on them yet, because the calorie and ED count is so great, but now at least I know what I'm working with. If anyone else is interested in experimenting, too, they're found in the refrigerated section, which surprised me. I guess I expected them to be dried, so it took me a long time to find them.

We've used the fake Bocca Burgers, but I didn't care for them much- at one time I have a veggie burger substitute that was full of veggies and wasn't just trying to look/taste like hamburger, and I liked that better.

I think you can make something similar to Greek yogurt (I love it, too!) by taking normal yogurt and straining it in cheesecloth for a couple of hours. I think the Greek yogurt is basically yogurt with some of the whey (the liquid) drained out of it.

I think the recipe idea is great- you have to go through tons of old info to pick up a few recipes or hints because they've been scattered around though years of forums.

Les- I'm Dutch by heritage, and red cabbage is a great Volumetrics food- I'm just assuming you like it, too!

gailr42
06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I am not crazy about most of the recipes in the book, but you can invent your own.

One of my favorite "inventions" is turkey spaghetti sauce. I brown the turkey in a pan. I don't like the taste of the turkey is why I cook it separately and then drain it. By the time I get done adding stuff, I can't taste the turkey. LOL. Then I cut up lots of bell pepper, onion, and garlic to taste and saute it in olive oil in another pan. Then I mix it all together with tomato sauce and tomatoes. I actually mix the sauce with some cooked pasta (very portion controlled) and freeze in individual containers. I finish it off with a fluff of parmesan cheese, some chopped parsley and a squeeze of fresh garlic. I actually like this concoction better than plain old spaghetti sauce. When I nuke this at lunch my co-workers think I am a gourmet cook. It's all the garlic, I think! Last night when I made this I added some fresh asparagus to the saute mixture. This was good, too. I am going to try adding some wilted spinach next. I am also going to try this with the soy granules.

I get Morning Star sausage patties. I love them. I do not like the little sausage shaped things - just the patties. I threw away the box, so I can't give the stats, but I think they are wonderful to have with a poached egg and half an oroweat sandwich thin. Not exactly volumetric, but satifying and relatively healthful.

We still have our chickens and I still cannot bring myself to throw away the delicious egg yolks!

Oh yes, I subscribe to Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, and I have a couple of Sara Foster's cookbooks which stress using fresh foods. I find that quite a few recipes from these sources can be modified along volumetrics lines.

Les
06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Gail,
nice to meet you!

ArtCat,
yes I do like red Cabbage! I actually have one in my fridge right now :D
Wow, there is this much info out there!? Well I guess it will take a while, but it's not like you all are going anywhere hahahah
I will start to dig in for the recipes right after my vacation.

My Dinner today was great.
I made the Filled Pita Bread with Tuna right out of the newer Volumetrics books.
I am all proud of myself, I even put in some shredded baby spinach.

Hubby was at home today and watched TV, he keeps telling me that the new Hamburger Helper with chicken and whole grain will fit right in to my diet.
When I told him I doubt it, he got mad at me.

When shopping I got two Arcon Squash, I have no idea how to prepare them, but they sure look interesting. Time to find recipe and explore.

Good night everyone!

gailr42
06-27-2010, 03:28 PM
For me, getting the squash open provides aerobic exercise. I think you can cut it in half crosswise, remove the seeds and bake it in the oven. Then you can scoop the insides out. There are all kinds of things you can do to the squash to make it unhealthy - add marshmallows, brown sugar, maple syrup etc. I like it plain with salt and pepper. If it needs more, I add a little orange juice.

ArtCat
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Les- I find it's easier to cut the squash open if you microwave it for a little bit- maybe a minute or so. If you do it for longer, it'll explode, so if you're worried about that, just pierce it first in a couple of places so it can release steam. I also just cut it in half, remove the seeds and bake it, and I usually find that it's sweet enough that you don't have to add anything to it.
Have you tried spaghetti squash yet? It's really good, and is a nice substitute for pasta. Really!

We're embarking on a 2 week camping trip starting next week, and I'm worried about how I'm going to cook healthily while being limited to a camp stove and basically canned or stock basics. Any suggestions?

gailr42
06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not a camper so no suggestions. It sounds like a fun trip. You will probably get extra exercise, offsetting the less than perfect eating. Just don't eat too much.

Les
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
ArtCat, thanks for the tip with the Arcon. I will try it first the natural way and see if we like it.
If you camp near a lake/river, maybe you can bring some veggies and keep them cool in the water!? Other than that I am also no help.

Gail, thanks to you also for the help with the Arcon :)

I will also be going on vacation for two week, but I will be flying to Germany and over the weekend from there to Italy and back to Germany, after that back to the USA.
I should get paid for that, it's more stress than vacation.

Will be cooking the fried rice with shrimp today, hope it is good.

gailr42
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
One of my children lived in Italy for 18 months, so I did that trip a couple of times. Once via Munich and once via Frankfurt. I agree the trip is pretty stressful. I had fun figuring out what food to take on the plane with us.

My experience was that MUC is better organized than FRA. I am your typical American whining that they took away my water - twice, in fact! And, of course, no cold drinks. I bought bottled water and asked for ice. They said no ice, but enthusiastically promised that the water was cold. Not. Warm room temp is not cold. Both trips were wonderful. We just had to "suck it up" that there were no cold drinks.

Les
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
LOL, Gail, with me it is the other way around, since I am German, here I have to always ask for NO ice please hahahhah

We don't do ice drinks much, for us cold is out of the refrigerator and it is not recommended by doctors :) Can't remember why do....
The same in Italy come to think of it, expect in tourist places of course.

I could use a body guard to keep me away from the German and Italian food. I will probably slip up a lot, there is so many things you just can't get here.

Well was not so happy with the fried rice with shrimp. Got to try something else tonight.

Hubby just tried the Bean Burrito out of the first book and liked it :),
I ate leftover from the shrimp *shudder*

ArtCat
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes, I can't throw leftovers away, either. Must be the frugal background.

My mom always asks for no ice in her water, too, so that must be why. She immigrated when she was 21, so the European way of life was well entrenched in her, too. I always thought it was because her teeth were sensitive, but maybe not. I do know that the body uses water quicker when it's at room temp.- when it's cold it needs to warm it up first in order to process it. Maybe it uses up some energy when warming it up- anything to burn more calories!

Les- how do you work at the shelter and not take animals home? I've often thought of volunteering there, but know that I couldn't resist the animals. I already have 3 cats, and we had a dog that we lost 3 years ago after 15 wonderful years. We decided not to replace him, because with an empty nest it was just easier to not be tied down like that.

I tried making burgers from the TVP and they were OK- I was hoping that would be an easy way to carry low fat protein while we are camping. I think I still need to tweak the recipe some.

So, does anyone have any big plans for the 4th that might be food related? At get-togethers I always make sure I bring something that is legal for me to eat, plus I eat something healthy before I go so I don't overeat there. I usually bring a salad made from shredded carrots, crushed drained pineapple and yogurt with a little mayo. If I have time I soak raisins in the pineapple juice to plump them and add that to it.

gailr42
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Les, that's interesting that you are attracted to the German and Italian food just like I am. I got addicted to Curry Wurst in Germany. I know this is not a "gourmet" food, but I sure do like it. I thought maybe if you lived there the food wouldn't seem so special. The other thing I liked in Germany was the breakfasts the hotels provided. The food seemed of much better quality than what we get for breakfast at the Holiday Inn - not so wonderful, to tell you the truth. Loved getting a bowl of coffee and a croissant for breakfast in Corsica, which is, of course, part of France.

I think maybe europeans aren't so in to overeating as americans. If I could learn to eat reasonable amounts, I wouldn't be overweight. What part of portion control don't I understand?

We are going to a bbq on the 4th. I will bring something, but I don't know what it will be yet. LOL. Your salad sounds good, Liz. I have made a plain coleslaw with a lightened dressing, but I like the pineapple and carrot idea.

judipurple
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Hello, one and all! Haven't visited here in a while, and I am glad to see some new faces (names? avatars?)....School's out for summer! As a bus driver, that means my summers are free (and broke!) - I started my walking again, and tried my son's bike today (legs are still a bit jelly-like). The scale is creeping in the RIGHT direction again (yay!). I am a summer fruit and veggie addict - the garden is growing in leaps and bounds (don't get too close to the winter squash - you might disappear!), and I'm loving the fruits at the store.

Liz, you and Gail mentioned salads to bring to picnics - one of my faves is broccoli coleslaw - I buy the packaged Broc slaw, add slivers of whatever is in the fridge - red or yellow bell peppers, jicama, snow peas, seedless cukes - and dress it with a low-fat sesame dressing. Sometimes top it with a sprinkling of toasted sunflowers seeds or chinese noodles. Known to dress up the dressing with additions of crushed garlic, crushed red pepper, or additional sesame oil or wasabi...just to kick it up a bit. Family favorite (gotta battle the kids for a serving!).

Glad to see this thread back up and running! I'll be popping in far more often now!

gailr42
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Yum, Judi. Love the Asian dressing.

Liz, I was looking at the forums over at fit-day. Didn't even know they had forums. Someone asked about camping. I have copied and pasted for you. I hope there's nothing illegal about doing this!!!!

I always love to make tinfoil dinners when we go camping. Usually I use lean ground beef, onions carrots, red potatoes, garlic, salt & pepper and maybe a little dribble of olive oil, cook 15-20 minutes each side. But seriously you can make a tinfoil dinner out of just about anything you would bake or throw on a grill, portabella mushrooms, mushrooms of any sort really, sweet potatoes, ground turkey, pork tender loin, chicken, fish, any veggie. One recipe my family loves is tinfoil chicken fahitas, wrap up chicken, onions, peppers, taco seasoning and salsa in the foil, cook 10-15 minutes each side and serve with chopped lettuce and tortillas The best part of tinfoil dinners is that you don't have to do dishes!

Shish kabobs are also a really great camping dish, and then the kids can put whatever they want on their own skewers, fruit, veggies, meat, whatever floats your boat.

We also love to make hobo pies, people call them different things but you make them in those camp fire sandwich makers. Instead of using canned pie filling, we use fresh fruit or reduced calorie jam, low-cal whole grain bread instead of Wonderbread, cooking spray instead of butter and whatever low-cal ingredients we're in the mood for. You can easily cut the calories by a ton and have it taste about the same.

What about chili? Make it in advance, freeze in a crock pot liner, use it for ice in the cooler and toss it into the crock pot after it thaws out. Viola' dinner's all done and it was almost no work at all.

For snacks take fresh cut veggies, fruit, granola bars, trail mix, protein bars, yogurt etc etc. Believe me you can camp without chips and junk food. You might even find that your ravenous teenagers eat a little less when the food they consume actually has nutritional content. My kids are swimmers, so they burn tons of calories at practice, which is 2-3 days/week. Switching them over to healthier snacks has saved us some money because they don't wolf down quite as much.

And did you know a s'more only has about 160 calories? So have your s'more if you want, just make sure you get in an extra hike to burn it off.

Les
06-30-2010, 09:25 PM
ArtCat - working at the shelter is hard work, but also fun. I been a full-time volunteer for over one year now and only took one dog home, which was not adoptable. He came out a Puppymil and can't stand to be close to anyone, so we let him run with the other dogs.
And yes, sometimes you think, this is the best dog and feel like you should take it, but in the end I thin, I got already 5 animals that is way over the norm and quit frankly the proper care for them is expensive. An average animal in the USA today costs $2000 a year.
Also it makes me very happy when I can team up the right dog with the right people and get a letter or e-mail how happy they are with their new pet.
Lots of happy endings is better as the must have for self :)
Volunteering in our shelter means picking up poop when walking a dog, and getting dirty. Everyone does everything. If you feel like walking, it would be great if you would take one of the dogs with you, it may be all the workout the poor dog gets for that day.
I better stop now or this will no longer be named the volumetrics, but the dog thread heheheh
Oh, almost forgot, the really hard thing is when you take a puppy or a kitten home to bottle race and bring him/her back when she/he eats on their own, that is REALLY hard.

Gail- I miss the German breads (over 700 bread types). Also products you just can't get here I grew up with. For instance If I make real German Cheesecake, I have to use Ricotta instead of Quark which you don't have here. I used to bring them to the shelter and peeps just went crazy over it.
About the overeating. Europeans are getting fatter every year. When I grew up lots of our stuff came from our own garden and we ate animals we raised, well granny did. I believe it is the processed foods we all start eating and the fast food joints.

Hi Judi, nice to meet you :)

Today I made New-York Steak, with mixed Salad (Romain lettuce, shaved carrot and plum tomatoes with a little red bell pepper). Mixed up some dressing with olive oil, balsamico, touch of dijon mustard some fresh black pepper and of course lots of garlic.
As side dish, half an acorn squash, with little cinnamon and a few grains of sugar, not enough to make it sweet or to cinnamony.
Hubby was very happy again.

I think since I know now what arcon tastes like I will try to put in a small amount of none fat milk, or none fat sour cream with a little bit of pepper and salt and mash the mixture up, should taste similar to mashed potatoes!?

Les
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Today I had for Breakfast 1 cup Fiber One with some crumbled frozen Raspberries and about 1/2 cup none fat milk

Lunch was one big apple

Dinner, all the left over veggies cut small and cooked in big pot with Patak's Madras Currypaste (spicy).
With 4 Whole Wheat Chapati per person.

ArtCat
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
How can you go so long with only eating an apple? I'd get a headache and feel awful!

Les
07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I used to not eat Lunch at all, so an apple and some water is pretty filling.

Well I am off on vacation for two weeks, will see you after I return :)

Ciao Les

Les
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Back from Germany/Italy, and even after eating a humongous German cheese cake, I lost some weight. Also had some yogurt ice cream with plain yogurt on top with lots of fruits at the ice cream parlor.
In Italy I ate one very big pizza with a tiny glass of very good red wine in a bodega.
At home my mom cooked and tried to stay with veggies, but she did not get it, that if you put lots of ketchup in to the source it is not as good, also she instinctively grabbed the worst meet types.
One day she said, i bought chicken wings, there is hardly anything on them. I said, hardly any meat, but lots of grease from the crusty skin LOL
Of course I had LOTS of salad's in them two weeks and snacked of fruits.
So i only lost about one pound, but at least I did not get any back fromt he ones I lost.

Today's breakfast, I had one full groin toast with about 1 teaspoon of fat free sour cream and on top some sliced tomatoes.

Lunch was a mix with bell peppers, left over tomatoes and mushrooms in a pot with Marsala curry past in it. With it I had one small tortilla roasted.

Will have to go shopping today, no food in the fridge after the trip but fatty stuff hubby bought himself.

No idea what I will make tonight....

Les
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Breakfast I had the leftover from yesterdays Dinner Filled Pepper with burghur filling.

Lunch I forgot, since I was out shopping.

Dinner
Yummmmmm...

This evening I made a big Greek salad (cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, fat reduced feta cheese, hot jalapeno peppers, and some sliced black olives).
Tossed with olive oil and white vinegar.
After I made some tofu wieners with a little ketchup and mustard with diced onions on full grain bread slice.

ArtCat
07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm also back from my big camping trip to Colorado! We didn't eat as well as we should, but we did lots of hiking, so I came back a couple of pounds lighter, too. I'm pretty sure that if I lived there in CO by the mountains I'd easily be 50 lbs lighter- it's so easy and beautiful to hike over there. It's just boring over here.

Les
07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Welcome back Liz!

I started to feel like I am talking to myself. Yeap, mountains are a nice thing, in Italy I used to go hiking with the dogs at least 4 to 5 times a week for about two hours each timer. I have not been camping much and not in years, but would love to do it again. Problem is lots of animals I can't leave behind :(

Well, I had a bit much food today.

Breakfast:
Full Grain Bread Sandwich, 3 thin slices of turkey beacon, one slice fat free cheese, one sliced mushroom and one romaine lettuce to top it off.

Lunch:
About 8 radishes, 5 mushrooms, 1 string cheese mozzarella 2%fat and one yogurt fat free diet.

Dinner:
5 Tofu Wieners on two pieces of Full Grain Bread with mustard and ketchup.
One big bowl of Greek Salad (Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, reduced fat feta cheese, jalapeno peppers, some black onions) tossed with olive oil and white vinegar.

Les
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Uh, oh, my slidey bar does now work :carrot:

alpo447
07-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I have to think delicious Spanish gazpacho -- basically, a very cold (even somewhat iced) garlicky tomato soup -- would fit the bill for what Volumetrics advises. I read that book a few years ago and thought it was one of the best, most common-sense diet books I'd come across.

ArtCat
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes, Gazpacho is a very good option, plus it's easy to make and this time of year all the ingredients are fresh and cheap. I'm not crazy about peppers, so I just leave those out.

Les
08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Okay, lost an other few pounds.

Did not weigh myself because I broke down and ordered me a Pizza and ate it all.
It was a medium Pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella, red peppers and onions.
Imagine my surprise when I got on the scale and lost weight instead of staying the same.

Me does happy dance......

ArtCat
08-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Congratulations!
Here's your happy dance- :carrot:

Les
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Gesh,

is it just me or do veggies start to taste good after a while?
Don't get me wrong, I always ate some veggies, but not as I do now. All of a sudden I can't wait to eat them when hungry.

Tomorrow morning 6am I have to bake an authentic German Cheese cake (no cream cheese inside).
Just thinking about it makes me want a piece! But I promised a while back I would back it for my friends Birthday, now I am stuck doing it.

Hope I don't break down and eat some as well.

4 day's later I have to bake crackle cookies for an other friend's birthday.

Someone save me!!!!!!!!

ArtCat
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
While you're asking for help, I'm sitting here wishing I had the recipes! I always still bake my special treats (speculaas around the holidays), but I only allow myself a little bit and then I make sure the rest is given away. If it's in the house, I'll eat it, but if I'm really strict and allow myself nothing, that seems to trigger a bigger rebound later.
The cake will be easy to avoid- you don't want to give your friend a partly eaten cake- it's the cookies that are hard. Sometimes you can substitute ingredients to make it less unhealthy, but I find that it usually wrecks the taste a little.
Wishing you strength!

judipurple
08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the gazpacho idea!!! Had it for the 1st time last month, and really liked it. Made it the other day, and now I can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen! And, I read that if you make it smooth, it can be frozen for the winter months. I'm thinkin' that some added chopped tomato,onion & red peppers to the defrosted soup would bring summer to January! Oh, yeah, another recipe to add to the list of gotta haves! :D

Les
08-14-2010, 11:47 PM
ArtCat, I did get some of both :) But I made sure it stayed just a taste.

Meanwhile I was stuck with my weight for a bit, but after ordering Pizza and eating it all to, my weight dropped. I guess I was to low on calories. AGAIN.

Yesterday I ate a New York Steak, with some New York potato salad and a big bowl of mixed salad :)
My animals love me again, since they always get the fatty rim of the steak.
Dessert was 1 granola bar with chocolate :)

This evening I ate 3 hot-dog's with two pieces of whole wheat toast and mustard, ketchup onions and relish. Later I had a big bowl of mixed salad.
Dessert was 1 rip of dark chocolate....

Les
08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Forgot to mention.

Breakfast the last two day's was
Full Grain Bread Sandwich (just love them toasted), with tomato slices and salad leaves.

Lunch was Fruit (Apple and peaches), with some string cheese

Les
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Where did you all go?

iaradajnos
03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm here. I took a long break due to a really bad year. I gladly said good-bye to 2010 and welcomed 2011 with cheer. I thought I was really headed on a great course of positiveness but was tested this week. I thought my PhD application was all but accepted. I got the acceptance letter yesterday though without funding. It's like someone giving me a picture of a favorite candy bar--nice but nothing to eat.

I had planned a long time ago that I'd get Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey the day I got my acceptance letter. With disappointment, I binged on Breyer's ice cream and chinese food (yesterday and today).

I have--however--been successfully back on my volumetrics for the past month and have lost 4 pounds. These past eight to ten weeks have been so much improved. I've got a great handle on all the physical complications suffered in 2010 and work stresses. So, I'm alright but very disappointed.

I have found that I'm pretty good a calorie counting without counting. I prefer to just eat routine meals that I already have great portion sense on. If I go to my favorite Thai restaurant, I've now found an awesome substitue for my regular Pad Thai dish (steamed veggies with peanut sauce and tofu).

So, I'm back on track. I also have restarted writing up in my blog (Young Grasshopper) and checking in here at 3fatchicks.

I do hope you're well. What's new? Are you maintaining or losing? I hope to lose 10-15 pounds. I don't have a scale but I'm trying to get in to my summer clothes and lose an additional 7 pounds (goal at mid-BMI weigt). I'll keep checking in here. Hope to keep up the dialogue!

ArtCat
03-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, I'm not doing very well either. My daughter's getting married in July, so I'm supposed to be losing the last 30 lbs so I can look normal for her wedding. Instead, I hurt my back and have been stuck doing physical therapy and being careful for the last 3 months. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost, either.

iaradajnos
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey, I think "haven't gained" is a great win! Want to check in here and lose 15 in 15 together? I'm hoping to lose 15 pounds by about July 1 (I think that's 16 weeks).

I'm trying to up my volumetrics foods and rustle up my old recipes. I've kind of increased some. It's been two years since I read all my volumetrics and low energy density food articles. So, I'm going to pull these out. I tend to surround myself with the topic on my mind until I exhaust it--or it exhausts me. I just checked out: www.livestrong.com/article/195104-low-energy-density-foods-list. Back then, I also liked www.nutritiondata.com because it had food density info on each item.

ArtCat
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes! You're on! I could really use someone to do this with- my husband hasn't been much help. I'm really rusty on the Volumetrics stuff, too, so I also need to read up on all that. I tried following this diet called the 4 Hour Body diet plan, but I should know better by now. I may have lost a pound or two over the 2 months I was on it, but nothing like what I needed or expected. So now I'm back to what I know works.

iaradajnos
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm with you on heading back to what works. I am dusting off all the old strategies. I thought your 4 hour body diet was the strategy of eating every 4 hours. I looked it up (http://gizmodo.com/#!5709913/4+hour-body-+-the-slow+carb-diet) and thought lots of it makes sense. Is this it? What wasn't working for you?

Well Saturday was a bit of a bust. I'm proud to have got off my aerobics in the early morning (first off).

However, foodwise was not great. I have been trying to support my older son (11yrs) and his developing new friends at his new school. He finally invited a friend over to our house Thursday (a really sweet boy). I invited the boy and his family over for pancake breakfast on Saturday. Unfortunately, my son only invited the boy and not the whole family while also my husband and younger son went off for soccer. I ended up with piles and piles of beautiful sausages and home-made cardamom spiced buttermilk pancakes--and two kids. I devoured half of the sausages and eight pancakes. I was so stuffed I thought I wouldn't eat again. By 7pm I was "mentally hungry" and popped popcorn for the family. I ate a few cups of dry pop corn with low-cal cheddar cheese melted on top. Not a horrible horrible day (I can eat enough cheese pizza and ice cream that could fell an ogre) but not a day for medals.

An extra note is that I've been eating vegetarian for about four or so years. But give me a pile of sausages and I can control myself. Argh!

So, today's a new day. I've had my microwave bread pudding concoction (310 cals). I'm exercising today (500+ cals), too.

I am trying to follow the volumetrics plan of eating frequently. My successful weight loss of 2009 found me eating every four hours--pretty much like clockwork. I eat brkfst at 6:30am, first lunch at 10am, last lunch at 2pm, and dinner at 6pm.

I have found my favorite chinese meal (general tso tofu) is about 800 calories. So, I'll frequently combine my two lunches in to one mid-day meal. However, it's not efficient for the body to not eat for six to eight hours. I'm trying to reduce those combined meals and stay at 300-400 cal meals. In fact, I'm trying to aim back down to 300 to 350 so that my overall day is 1300.

I'm totally tossed around today because of that lost hour. My son called me while I was at the grocery store. He asked if I've changed the clocks and I realized that we totally just lost a whole hour of Sunday. I really dread these annual loss of hours (no matter that we gain it back in the Fall--those are completely earned all year long).

Hope Sunday is going strong with you. Any new/old ideas on deck for food/exercise?

Joycelyn
03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow how nice this thread is still around.

I've had an absolutely horrific last two years. Because of it I flitted from eating plan to eating plan, wasting my money. I believe I did this in a schizo attempt to divert myself from my troubles!

My life has calmed down, and I am now ready to reclaim my health and go back to what worked for me. I've dusted out the four good Volumetrics themed books I have:

The Diet Denominator (my favorite).
Volumetrics (the one that started it all!)
Volumetrics Eatin Plan
Asian Slim Secrets (written by Lind Yo who returned to the foods of her culture, stressing low caloric density).

I also plan on buying the Okinawa Diet, which is also about low caloric density.

I just thought I'd mention these books in case anyone's a "reader" like I am!

Thanks for restarting the thread!

iaradajnos
03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Joycelyn and ArtCat. Glad to be on the same thread. Joycelyn, thanks for the new books. I'll check them out.

It sounds like we've all had it tough and our diets took a backseat. I was quite excited yesterday afternoon with all my success when I realized it'd only been (almost) three days in a row that I stayed on track. Well, I'll count my successes where I can. I could count this past Sunday as a basic success except I had unnecessary "crab rangoon" with my general tso tofu lunch (probably 500-800 calories) but I didn't eat any dinner. So, I basically came out about even.

I'm really buckelling down now and staying on plan. I had a whole "tool shed" of strategies in 2009 that I used to stay on track for eight months. So, I'm firming myself to keeping at it--no matter what!

I have discovered seasoned tuna fish (by Bumble Bee). This week I've eaten a half a container (110) on an organic flax seed tortilla (90 cal) microwaved with low-cal cheddar cheese (100 cals) with a 1/4 cup side of raw veggies. It's warm and satisfying for me at the office.

I'm eating four times a day (breakfast, mid-morning lunch, mid-afternoon lunch, then dinner) with an aim of 300 to 350 cals per meal--though some meals are quite near 400.

I'm trying to use jicama, bean sprouts, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and pickles a lot. Each week, I'm trying to add a little bit more low-energy dense items. I'm also brushing my teeth the minute after I eat my last meal of the day to avoid nibbling.

What are you doing to increase the good and decrease the bad?

ArtCat
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm still working on re-reading the Volumetrics book- things have been so busy lately that it's been hard to find the time. I've been trying to cook the right way, but haven't bothered to weigh myself at all. My daughter's bridal shower was last Saturday, so now that that's done maybe I can concentrate on being healthy. Plus, I finally had an MRI yesterday to see what's wrong with my back/leg, so hopefully that'll help me know what I can do exercise-wise.

Hope everyone is doing better than I am!
Thanks for the book suggestions- I'm always looking for material to inspire me.

iaradajnos- that 4 hour diet I was talking about is by Timothy Ferriss, and he concentrates on eating mostly lean protein, veggies and beans. I really tried to stick to it, but didn't end up losing any weight. At least I didn't gain!

iaradajnos
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm very inspired by reading about what I'm trying to dedicate myself to. Lately, I don't have time to read though. I've been compensating by checking in to 3fc each day. It helps in general but I'm weakest at night.

I'm in my second week of staying on track (one pound minimum per week with a potential of 1/4 pound each day). I'm trying to really eat the portion that I'm sure of its calorie as opposed to guessing the general amount.

I'm also bringing back my old stand-by volumetric whole foods:
jicama (slivered and added to lots of things)
mushrooms
lettuce
water chestnuts
bean sprouts
cherry tomatoes (a whole cup is only 23 cals)
cauliflower

I tried dry popcorn with low cal shredded cheddar cheese melted on top. Next, I'm going to try popcorn with truvia and cinnamon powder.

I JUST LEARNED: The KIND of cinnamon matters. Usually you can only find Cinnamomum Zeylanicum but the healthful one is actually Ceylon Cinnamon found on line or specialty stores. Ceylon Cinnamon (1/4 to 1 tsp a day) is purported to help metabolism, reduce arthritis pain, and slow cancer cell growth. Brief info at: http://neoweight.com/cinnamon-speed-up-the-metablolism-a-natural-weight-loss-supplement

Anyway, I hope all goes well and we stay on track for the next week!

iaradajnos
04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Wanted to check in with any fans of low-density and volumetrics. I'm still on board. I'm over on the 100% for 100 days thread that recently started (goes until July 29th). I'm also trying to do the 100 push-ups challenge (but my rotator cuff may be injured so I'm worried I might have to rest--doctor's on Friday to find out).

I've slacked a bit on my volumetrics cooking but pretty much stay in 300-400 calories meals, four times a day. I think I'll re-read Barbara Rolls' book and the great suggestions mentioned above.

Summertime and Volumetrics challenge anyone? Try to have seven volumetrics (low-density) meals for one week then increase upwards throughout the Spring and Summer?