Support Groups - Snarky Senoritas #8

View Full Version : Snarky Senoritas #8

zinkemomx2
06-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Whoohoo!

Mrs Snark
06-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Yippee! :)

Today is a biking with my husband day, so we'll do about 12 miles probably, I should also try and mow the front lawn (don't know if that will happen it is so brutally hot). This weekend is all about studying for me. I can't wait to be done with midterms next week.

I'm going to make the turnip fries for lunch I think. Friday night is, as always, veg sushi night, so I'm looking forward to that!

zinkemomx2
06-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I busted through to the 220's. First time I can recall in 16 years. I can't get the I'm so excited song out of my head.

Mrs Snark
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I busted through to the 220's. First time I can recall in 16 years. I can't get the I'm so excited song out of my head.

That's just so AWESOME!!!!! Congrats Billie, I'm so excited for you! I just can't hide it!

Mrs Snark
06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
OK, I like turnips. I diced them, sprayed them lightly, roasted with onion salt and black pepper. Pretty tasty. I give them a solid B. But Kale was an A.

zinkemomx2
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I almost bought kale today. I forgot to look at the first store and the stuff at the second store didn't look the freshest. I will try it your way Jo. I didn't get any new foods for this week though. :(

pintobean
06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Turnip Fries - Yum! :drool:

I used the same spices used here for the Yam Fries (http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?RecipeID=57). I peeled and cut the turnips as close to the shape of fries. Then mixed all the spices. I also added couple extra spices - cayenne and garlic powder. Roasted at 400 deg for about 20 minutes.

I'm not a fan of turnips but this way was definitely good.

Edit: I also added 1/4 tsp of salt to the turnip fries.

Turnips - Cooked

zinkemomx2
06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Fine. I'll try them again.

Mrs Snark
06-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Oooo that picture of the turnip fries is luscious. Lots of spices is definitely nom nom nom!

Mrs Snark
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
This is midterm week, I wish I could just hurry up and be done. Plus I have a gyn appt on Friday, yee haw.

I'm craving Indian food, I gotta see what's in my freezer and build my meals from that. Maybe some nice channa masala!

zinkemomx2
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm confident you will do great Jo.

I am on cloud nine :cloud9: right now. I just got back from running. I did 1.13 miles nonstop in 12:45 for a pace of 11:17 :) I am beyond happy.

I roasted a few radishes tonight. I think with a tad more seasoning they would have been okay. I think I could actually enjoy them if they were mixed with a few other root veggies.

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna make some won ton crisps.

Mrs Snark
06-23-2009, 06:17 AM
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just wonderful, every day is a new milestone for you, how fantastic is that!!! :carrot:

I need to eat up all my radishes before they go bad, I'm going to try Jamie's recipe.

Today's plan

1. Breakfast
2. Bike over to mom's, run on tread mill, bike back
3. Mow the backyard
4. Study some more
5. Dinner with KALE, nom nom nom!
6. Take my first midterm
7. Come back and study more

zinkemomx2
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I just need to tell you I love that race finish photo. That was your last half mary right?

Mrs Snark
06-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks, yeah, this was from the half-mary this past November.

Mrs Snark
06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Hump day, w00t! 2 more midterms to go and **** week will be done, yay!

Today's plan:
Biking: done
Ezekiel toast with cashew butter
Black bean burritos
Stir-fry veggies on top of spaghetti squash, maybe some tempeh

pintobean
06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Hump day, w00t! 2 more midterms to go and **** week will be done, yay!

Today's plan:
Biking: done - for some reason I read bikini: done...umm yeah, I am tired this morning.
Ezekiel toast with cashew butter
Black bean burritos
Stir-fry veggies on top of spaghetti squash, maybe some tempeh

Not much going on here. I started my workout again since Monday. Taking weeks off has definitely taken it's toll. Building back my endurance and ability to run. At the moment, I'm only doing treadmill cuz running outside is not kind to my feet & ankle. I have a 5K coming up in July. I am not at all ready for it as I took about 3 weeks off exercise after my first 5k. I still don't understand why I did that. :?:

Tonight, we're going to watch Transformers after dinner. We liked the first one when it came out. We can't wait to see the sequel. Hubby grew up on transformers series so he definitely wants to see it.

Friday, we're going to a friend's birthday party. Cake for her is a surprise and will be in cowgirl hat shape. I have to pick up the cake after work (bakery is close to where I work). I hope the cake is good.

Saturday, we have an engagement party to go to in VA. If I haven't mentioned before I don't like dressing up formally, it's a chore for me. And then to put on make up for which I lack the talent. I'm wearing black pants along with a deep purple top that I found in my closet. I can fit into that top again.

Sunday, hopefully will be a relaxing day.

BTW today is Day 3 of not weighing :)

Have a wonderful OP day everyone!!

Mrs Snark
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Yay for fitting into that top!!!! I bet deep purple will look smashing against your hair!

Are you liking not weighing so far?

Mrs Snark
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, allllllllrighty then. I just did this routine for grins and giggles:

30 seconds - Burpees (the kind with the pushup in them)
30 seconds - Jumping Jacks
30 seconds - Mountain Climbers
30 seconds - Rest
5x through

Wow, was that SO much harder than I thought it was going to be. My form as pathetic, really. This is a form of HIIT and it totally kicked my patoot.

pintobean
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Yay for fitting into that top!!!! I bet deep purple will look smashing against your hair!

Are you liking not weighing so far?

I am worried about the hair color and the purple top. We'll see how the end result will be. I'll go thru couple of washes so it might lighten up by Saturday.

Not sure if I like not weighing regularly yet or not. Mixed feelings. I definitely feel sort of out of control for not knowing how much I weigh (I'm a control freak). I feel I've gained a ton since Monday. I'm trying to focus back on x amount of calorie in and x amount of calorie out for the amount I decided to lose per week. I want to see if I can manage that loss/week consistently. Also, I need to keep in mind that it can take up to several weeks for my body to adjust to the new routine. From what I was reading anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks. :o

Over the past year or so I've been losing sporadically. I've yet to see 5lb or 10 lb loss/month that I want so bad. The max I've ever lost in a month is 6 lbs last year in July and I don't think I was doing much different except I had started playing tennis once a week. My tennis class starts next week so I am looking forward to it. I hope my wrist doesn't fail me.

Having said all that, I definitely like not feeling sad for losing only .25 lb or not losing at all. Constant feeling of unhappiness with myself was just getting to me. I wasn't even enjoying any loss.

pintobean
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, allllllllrighty then. I just did this routine for grins and giggles:

30 seconds - Rest
5x through

Wow, was that SO much harder than I thought it was going to be. My form as pathetic, really. This is a form of HIIT and it totally kicked my patoot.
Wow!!! Awesome!! :carrot:
I know what mountain climbers are. I can't do them yet cuz I know it will hurt my wrist. Jillian makes us do it as part of our routine. I don't know what burpees is but I'll google it when I go home. Jumping jacks is definitely a great form of cardio workout.

Mrs Snark
06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Burpees are a special form of torture. It looks kinda like fun when you see a video of someone doing them (you tube has a ton of videos) but it is freakin HARD. Here is what it is basically:

Jump up into the air with hands overhead, land, then drop into a squat continuing down until your hands are on the floor, then kick both legs out into push-up position, do the push-up, then jump feet back into squat position and jump back up into the air... all smoothly and continuously in constant motion.....

When I do it I look like I'm having a whole-body seizure or something...

zinkemomx2
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Jo you made me tired just reading that. I would much rather go run two miles in 80*+. (Did I really just type that?)

Anj, I feel your pain about dressing up. I HATE it. It is nothing but a chore for me.

Today will be a rest day. It is supposed to be record highs here today so we are chilling in the A/C. We'll probably go out and watch the kids play on the slip and slide after lunch.

I'm hoping tomorrow is cooler because I would like to get a long run in. Possibly 4 miles if I can find a marker to use. I'll have to check mapmywalk to see approx where I'll end up.

pintobean
06-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Morning girls :)

Last night, I went a little crazy with the makeup purchase. I went to Sephora to buy some makeup stuff and well, also to get some tips. Just walking into that store was so overwhelming. I've always worn eyeliner and sometimes lipstick which is all the makeup I wear & well SPF moisturiser. I never go anywhere without my eyeliner. I ended up buying several things but mostly stuff I can use all the time. I didn't want to get any color specific stuff just yet as I know I won't be using it often. So I stuck to basic/nude colors so I could wear it with pretty much any color clothing. I just hope I'm able to recreate the look she did for me there. Slightly different than what I go for normally.

Tonight's party is cancelled cuz of my friend's accident. I was so scared and sort of in denial when I heard the news. I almost didn't know how to react. I almost had a brain freeze. But after talking to her fam I feel little better.

Hubby is off today. I almost didn't feel like getting out of bed. I want to sleep in tomorrow!

Have a wonderful OP day!!

Billie, did you map your 4 miles?
Jo, are you planning to continue with these HIIT exercises?

zinkemomx2
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Tonight's party is cancelled cuz of my friend's accident. I was so scared and sort of in denial when I heard the news. I almost didn't know how to react. I almost had a brain freeze. But after talking to her fam I feel little better.

Billie, did you map your 4 miles?

I'm still sending healing thoughts.

I mapped it but only did 1 mile last night. The temp cooled off but it was much more humid than I thought. Plus the neighbors at the end of the road came up and mowed and for some reason that was really bothering me. Probably all the poison ivy or something.

DH just left for MIL's with the kids and will be gone until at least supper time. My plan is to get cleaned up and do the grocery shopping and then come home and run this afternoon.

Mrs Snark
06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Morning (slipping in under the wire)!

Anjuli -- I'm glad to hear your friend is probably going to be ok, that is some scary stuff. I've always wanted someone to show me how to do my makeup but I've never gone and done the makeover thing at a cosmetics counter. Maybe someday. I would like to have some new ideas!

Billie -- enjoy the day to yourself! I bet it seems quiet!

Today I am studying form y final midterm tomorrow morning. I'm probably going to ride my Exercycle later as I missed them morning cool-time window.

I'm also incredibly SORE from the HIIT routine. I'd definitely like to add that into my weekly sports since it is obviously such a good all-around muscle conditioning routine. Next time, though, I'm going to cut back and ease into it a little and then add more "circuits" as my strength gets better.

I'm waaaay over sore from being a stupid butt and going crazy with it the other day.

Looking forward to veggie sushi tomorrow afternoon in celebration of completing all my midterms. I got an A on all of them so far, yay!

zinkemomx2
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Way to go so far Jo! We dun new ya waz smurt. ;)

I'm very bingey today and it isn't good. It is to hot again today to run early. I'll have to wait until this evening. I really should start getting my a$$ out of bed and moving earlier and just get it done then. I'll work on that for tomorrow.

zinkemomx2
06-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Today was a bust all the way around. I journaled and am over it.

I will be waking up at 6am tomorrow to run. I should be back before the kids wake up but if I'm not DH will just have to get their breakfast. Won't that be a shame?

zinkemomx2
06-27-2009, 07:51 AM
4 miles FAIL.

5 miles FTW!!!!!

Mrs Snark
06-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Yay, great job Billie! How did it feel?

zinkemomx2
06-27-2009, 11:31 AM
At the time it felt great. 4 hours later I am very sore everywhere except my legs.

pintobean
06-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Morning everyone :)

Thank you for the healing thoughts. My friend is doing much better. In fact, looking at the car wreck pictures she is damn lucky to get out with just a seat belt burn. Her recent surgery wound did open up from the impact but they stitched her back up and she was released that same evening. It wasn't too bad. We went to see her Friday night.

Billie, awesome job on the run. Will you continue with 5 miles or planning to go further today?

Jo, circuit training is great. Jillian has us do the similar stuff. Although, I've been lazy past few weeks and not doing it but I hope to pick it up again. Congrats! on the A. :)

We're going to watch Transformers again soon. Hopefully, there won't be too many people in the theater.

Last night was fun in a way. The ring ceremony went well. The would-be groom seemed nice. Meeting all the extended family and other folks I haven't seen in ages. Food was great and I think I ate a bit much.

Little makeup background...It took me 30-40 mins just to get the damn makeup on :o. So many things to put on and I was going nuts. I don't have this much time every day. Plus, I am sure had I been used to putting on makeup I wouldn't have taken this long. I wore my eyeliner under instead of over the eyelid which is something new for me. I need constructive criticism please!! I'll post pics on plurk after I return.

My hair I had no clue what to do with it so I let it air dry :(. The red color is so much better after several washes.

I definitely recommend going to a makeup store and getting a makeover done. If nothing else just for fun :p . Don't let them sucker you into buying tons of stuff. Just few things you know you will use. Also, make sure the store will take back stuff if you don't like it. That's why I like Sephora they'll take it back if you don't like any product.

Mrs Snark
06-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Anjuli -- I'm glad your friend escape without serious injury, how lucky! That could have been so tragic. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

I don't know if we have Sephora in the area, I'll google. Maybe I'll treat myself to a trip to the counter for my birthday. I'm not much for putting on makeup either, but now that I'm getting older (gah!) I'm sure I could learn something new that would make me look better. Since I have that wedding in October in Texas I'd like to look nice in those photos. As far as I can tell, it is going to be evening formal wedding with my husband (as best man) in a tux so I'll have to get something fancy-schmancy to wear also.

pintobean
06-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Oh definitely treat yourself Jo. It is worth it even if you don't buy anything. And, if you do decide to go I hope you get someone really nice to help you. It makes all the difference. I bought Urban Decay & Smashbox products this time. Both companies carry Vegan products. It was a little pricey but worth it. I'm sure there are other brands that have vegan products too but I only know of these 2.
The wedding in Texas - is it a themed wedding?

The reason I suggested Sephora is that they have tons of brands & very helpful staff. You'll also have a better selection to choose from. And you will find Vegan products.

zinkemomx2
06-29-2009, 10:41 AM
food sucks. run yesterday sucked. foot hurts today and i don't know why. i think my period is coming again.

Mrs Snark
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
<<hugs>> Billie. I hope you are having a better day today!

I've finished my run and bike, now I'm procrastinating doing my homework, bleeeeeeeahhh.

Had really good blueberries this morning, they were perfect!

pintobean
06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
About to go for my run on the tready. I have no clue what is going on with me but I'm having a hard time finding my motivation to workout. It's been the suck past month or so. You'd think my upcoming 5k should get me back on track but nope :(

Billie, sorry for the foot ache. Hope it gets better soon. I suffered from it last year for many months.

Jo, procrastination is good sometimes. Why do something today when you can do it tomorrow! :D

Edit: Run FAIL :( . I was so tired I took a nap instead. Of course, it made it worse when night time came cuz I couldn't sleep on time. So I tossed and turned and finally went to sleep late at night.

pintobean
07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
They effing blocked Facebook and Plurk from work :mad:. So not happy about it. I wonder if it's a permanent block or they broke something like it happened before.

I am in so much pain cuz of my wrist. I couldn't even start my car this morning cuz it hurt so bad. I don't think I've broken anything but I might go see my chiro tonight to make sure. The pain's on the wrist bone (ulna bone?). And since it's my right wrist and I'm a righty simple things are not that easy.

High school close to us (about 10-15 min walk) has a track where I'm thinking of running if I want to run outside. Side walk does not work and I don't trust the drivers not hitting me while I run on the road. Plus, the roads are not that wide anyway.

Enough typing for the day. About to take ibuprofen and hope for the best.

Have a wonderful OP day :)

Mrs Snark
07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Oh no Anjuli! How did you hurt your wrist (I'll go look on plurk in case you already talked about this and I missed it!)? I think you should definitely go get it checked to make sure you don't have a hairline fracture or anything!

I'm sorry about the flagging motivation, I think we all go thru cycles of being extremely motivated and then being sort of ... bleaaaaah...... It's normal. But the more you do it the more it simply becomes habit, like brushing your teeth. I honestly don't make much of a conscious "decision" any more. It's just what I do, there isn't really a question. So even on days where I'm feeling like I'd rather sleep in I just get up and do my normal routine. It does get easier. Hang in there.

That sucks about them blocking plurk and FB, those jerks.

I'm done with my run and bike this morning and now it is on to homework all day. This semester is going to be over so fast.

I'm really starting to look forward to my trip back up to Maine in September. All this bike work I've put in because I've lowered my running mileage is going to really pay off when we do the longer >50 mile loops along the coast. We'll be leaving our mountain bikes permanently up my my FIL's house in Maine, so that we can use that as a jumping-off point for other bike adventures in the New England area. I really do love New England, I miss it. I have family living in Vermont, too, that's where I graduated high school. It is so beautiful there!

pintobean
07-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Jo, I've been dealing with right wrist & left elbow tendinitis for the past few months. I've been going to a chiropractor for some pain relief and it had been slowly improving. In fact, only yesterday, I was telling my doc that my wrist was feeling better. I was really looking forward to playing tennis last night. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Within 5 mins of me playing, I hurt my wrist really bad with a forehand shot. The pain was so excruciating that I had to stop playing and was hoping that nothing broke as I did hear something pop. This morning I couldn't even wear my bra by myself...had to ask hubby to hook it in the back. I can type not too much pain but slow. I got it checked this afternoon and thankfully no broken bones.

Your Maine trip sounds really fun. I'm glad both of you will be biking a lot there. It should keep you out of your weirdo FIL's path.

I need to learn to ride a bike. So shameful that I can't. My SIL and her family are going to Maine end of this month for couple weeks for vacation. I've never been there. Maybe some day :)

zinkemomx2
07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Running is going excellent.
Food sorta sucks.
I'm burnt out counting and weighing everything. I'm going to take a 2-3 week hiatus and concentrate on running. Hopefully the extra calories burned will make up for any diet shortcomings.

Mrs Snark
07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Glad to hear the running is going so great!

I hope your counting/measuring hiatus goes well -- I encourage you to guard against portion creep and snack creep. My running/biking/swimming does NOT offset what happens when I become less vigilant with food, even though I work out at quite a high intensity.

That doesn't mean it can't work for YOU, I just want you to be a little on your guard because you want to able to capitalize weight-wise on all your hard exercise. You've been on a real roll, you want to keep up your forward momentum!

zinkemomx2
07-07-2009, 10:02 AM
That's the power of daily weighing. If my weight goes up more than 2-3 pounds I will get back on the wagon. It did creep back down a little today and I haven't counted in a few days.

Not sure if I will be running today or not. DH is talking about taking the kids to go see Up. It's a 140 mile round trip so we will be out most of the day. So I'll have to make smart choices if we go out to eat. Wonder if I should sneak some plainish popcorn into the theater? I might try.

pintobean
07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

It is so boring without plurk here at work. I miss you all. :(

Weight loss is going eh. I haven't lost anything and it is very discouraging. Partly, of course, it's my fault for not working out for an entire month :frypan: and partly, I don't know what the heck is going on with me. Maybe, I'm just tired with it all. My need for instant gratification is going to kill me some day. I know WL is a slow process and I need to learn to take one day at a time but sometimes things just get to you. I've been at it since last year April. You'd think I would have lost most of it by now yet I've been chugging along and not in hyper mode. Anywho, I have to remember to give my body enough time (yet again) to adjust to working out. Stupid body!

I'll be running/jogging on the track again tonight. I know it is monotonous and all but my knee and ankle are thanking me for not running on the road or sidewalk. Plus, I can sing 'spin me right round' while I run on the track :lol: . From now on, I'm going to alternate between track and treadmill. I'm so thankful that the high school is within walking distance.

Tonight is tennis :cry:. I'm going to stay off tennis for this season. I don't want to risk another injury and next time I might not be lucky. My wrist is almost better. In fact, weird as it may sound my tendinitis feels better after the tennis wrist injury :?: . On a good note, they credited me for the tennis class and I have 1 year to use up the credit. Hopefully, I'll be able to play next year.

Oh, I have a 5K coming up this Sunday. My time's going to suck on this one but eh I just want to finish the race. I know eventually time will get better once I build up my endurance.

Billie, taking a hiatus is a good idea sometimes. I totally understand. I've done it too for few days at a time. But I also agree with Jo, so easy for portion creep. Just be careful and good luck :) . Did you run yesterday?

Jo, your classes should be almost over (I think). Are you looking forward to the next semester? :)

Have a wonderful OP day.

zinkemomx2
07-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Blah - I'm in a pissy mood. I'm hoping TOM starts soon so it goes away.

The plan for today is a 5 mile run. I'm hoping to run the first 2-2.5 miles nonstop. I will be eating vegan today. I've started letting to much crap slide by and that has to stop. I'm in the middle of reading The Food Revolution. I think I like it a bit better than The China Study.

B - kiwi, oatmeal with strawberries, almonds, flax, agave
L - sketti squash with salsa
S - popcorn if needed

ETA - I think I'm gonna skip straight to snack and then bed. I also didn't make it quite as far nonstop as I would have liked. I did take 2 mins off my 5 mile time though so I am pleased enough for now.

Mrs Snark
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Anjuli -- It sucks you have to miss out on tennis but good for you sticking with your running. Enjoy the 5k -- it isn't about the time, it's about the experience, having FUN, doing something healthy! The clock isn't of ANY importance!

My summer semester classes end on August 1 so I am in the home stretch. Can't wait to be finished. Then I have 2 weeks off and start a whole new semester on Aug 17.

Billie -- hope your mood has rebounded today, your runs have been totally kicking BUTT! Keep it up!

Today I have my annual gyn appointment, I'm always so traumatized by going to doctors for any reason, so I can't wait to get it over with. Plus, I know I'll need to get a blood draw while I'm there and I have major needle phobia. Baaaaaaaah, not looking forward to this.

Fat Chick B Gone
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Yo snarks, just saying hola.

zinkemomx2
07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi Heather. :wave:

Jo - Glad that is done and over with until next year.

Me - food all vegan yesterday. :) So far so good for today. I've been reading The Food Revolution and I am trying hard. The only problem I have with the running is the rocks. What I wouldn't give for a nicely paved trail at my house right now. Nearest one is about 15 miles and I'm to cheap to drive that far just to run.

pintobean
07-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Morning :D

It's been an interesting week workout wise. I think I've pushed my body to run so much in 1 week that it finally gave in. More than a month long hiatus from exercise was not a good idea and I believe it affected my performance at the 5K yesterday. I was a tad disappointed that I was having a hard time running despite having done better before. I also, was not expecting an uphill course...that just about made it worse. Oh well, live and learn. Unlike last time, I am not going to stop working out after my 5k. I do plan to focus on exercising regularly. And, please, feel free to kick my butt if I don't workout :kickbutt:. As for eating well and OP, that goes without saying.

I might do a September 5k. I'm not sure yet. I'll see how I feel by end of August and decide after that. I'm getting addicted here.

Jo, I completely agree with you. It was so much fun watching all these people run yesterday...800+ :o. And, there were random people on the sidewalk cheering us. One elderly couple was there and the guy was high fiving us when we passed him. It was very encouraging. I do believe time will come eventually once I build endurance. And, endurance has been my focus all along (except when I see people finish a 5k in 15 mins then I feel I'm running at a snail's speed :lol:). I remember, when I first started running I could barely run 1 mile without stopping several times now I can do 3.25 mi without stopping. Granted, I am very slow, but hey I am running. What I'm thinking of doing is at the end of each week or two add one more lap to my track run. Slowly, build up to 4 mi. Eventually, I would like to run 4 to 5 miles without feeling I am dying :D. For now, I run at a constant pace but I would like to incorporate HIIT in there as well. But, I feel, if I do it now I'll be tired sooner than later. What are your thoughts?

Billie, sorry about the gravel getting in your shoes. I honestly, have no clue how to avoid it besides finding a different place to run. Have you tried calf length socks? Also, I mentioned in the exercise thread (don't know if you saw it or not), a runner's loop for laces. The place I bought my shoes from did it for me. I still get little stones and stuff in my shoes despite how tight my laces are.

zinkemomx2
07-13-2009, 10:32 AM
The rocks are getting between my skin and the socks. They are getting between the sock and the shoe along the side of my foot. I came up with a weird idea last night to try cutting the end off a sock and pulling it on like normal but then pulling it down over top the outside of my shoe. Kinda hard to explain but we'll see if it works tonight.

I also need to work on endurance. My longest nonstop run is about 1.5 miles on a good day. I would love to get that up to 6k before my race day on August 8th. I don't think it is practical to expect that much gain though in 26 days but I'm going to try. I just need to keep focusing on the mental blocks.

pintobean
07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
The rocks are getting between my skin and the socks. They are getting between the sock and the shoe along the side of my foot. I came up with a weird idea last night to try cutting the end off a sock and pulling it on like normal but then pulling it down over top the outside of my shoe. Kinda hard to explain but we'll see if it works tonight.

--- I know exactly what you're talking about. It should work I think. Let me know. Calf length socks should prevent getting the rocks between skin and socks.

I also need to work on endurance. My longest nonstop run is about 1.5 miles on a good day. I would love to get that up to 6k before my race day on August 8th. I don't think it is practical to expect that much gain though in 26 days but I'm going to try. I just need to keep focusing on the mental blocks.

You've been doing great so far. My first 5k all I focused on was finishing the race within the allotted time either by walking or running or doing both. What mental blocks are you facing right now?

GirlyGirlSebas
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Snarkies. I've not been in here in a while. I've loved reading your posts and catching up.

I got on the scales yesterday. Not pretty. I've gained quite a bit and my fat percentage has gone up. Yesterday, I picked up The Beck Solution. I'm hoping to learn how to change my thinking. In the meantime, I need a sugar purge.

Anjuli - sorry to hear about your elbow.
Billie - great job on the running.

BTW - I love makeup! I'm such a girl. My one advice, don't try to match your clothing to your makeup. Just find what enhances your features and run with it. Also, play up one feature and go neutral on everything else. Have fun. Experiment.

pintobean
07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Rhonda, glad to see you here. :hug: Sorry to hear about the gain. Remember you are in control. The longer you stall the harder it gets. Don't wait for tomorrow but start now. It's the only way. Cuz, from experience, I know every time I put something to "tomorrow" that tomorrow never comes. I'm reading the Beck Solution book too right now. I'm just at the beginning. Let me know what you think?

zinkemomx2
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
What mental blocks are you facing right now? Getting it through my thick skull that I can run. I don't need to stop running. My lungs will not explode.

Rhonda - Glad to see you back.

I had a run planned for tonight but got caught up in a phone call until it was nearly dark. I'll just go a little longer tomorrow to make up for it.

Mrs Snark
07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Welcome back, Rhonda!

Anj -- I wouldn't worry about HIIT/Speed Intervals or any kind of speed work right now if your real goal is to build the endurance to run 5 or 6 miles. Most running experts (that I've read) tell people running in their first year not to do speed work. You need to build up a solid "Base" in terms of endurance, mileage, and physical ability.

I can look back at my running log and see 17/18 minute miles (and I was THRILLED to run them, as I should have been, I'd never run that fast before!). You will get faster as you continue to train even without doing speed work. Once you have a reallysolid base, that's when you should work speed.

zinkemomx2
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Even with my walk intervals I'm currently averaging just under 15 min miles. My fastest running portion every has been 10:58. I think my running portions are between 12-13. I would be happy to just be running a solid 5k with no more walking than a few minutes for a warm up

pintobean
07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
...Anj -- I wouldn't worry about HIIT/Speed Intervals or any kind of speed work right now if your real goal is to build the endurance to run 5 or 6 miles. Most running experts (that I've read) tell people running in their first year not to do speed work. You need to build up a solid "Base" in terms of endurance, mileage, and physical ability.

I can look back at my running log and see 17/18 minute miles (and I was THRILLED to run them, as I should have been, I'd never run that fast before!). You will get faster as you continue to train even without doing speed work. Once you have a reallysolid base, that's when you should work speed.

Thank you and I would :hug: you if I could thru this monitor :D. I was hoping you would say this cuz it makes me feel better that my endurance & speed will get better over time. You helped me focus back on what I was aiming all along which is to develop a solid "base" for running. Now, I do wonder, how much will my short legs play a factor in my endurance, speed & running overall? I notice that Mike's one stride is equal to my 2 strides (he's around 5'10"). He doesn't run fast but I notice especially when we run on track that he's always on the other side during each loop. Here I am chugging along and when I look around for him, he's on the other side of the track. But, I feel that I have better endurance than he does or at least, I like to believe that ;)

pintobean
07-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Getting it through my thick skull that I can run. I don't need to stop running. My lungs will not explode...

Been there done that. In fact, sometimes I still go thru this. Keep doing what you're doing and it will get better and easier. Just don't push it past what your body can handle. I'm learning to listen to my body as I'm going through various injuries.

zinkemomx2
07-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I learned one thing last night.

I ran the other direction down the highway for my 4 miler last night. There were a couple of spots where the pavement is actually level so I was running down the white line instead of in the gravel. It was a pleasure to not be picking up pebbles. I probably only ran a mile or so on the pavement but I learned I need to start sneaking more of it in whenever possible. My body aches from the jarring. I know it will get better if I keep it up and slowly increase. Both of my races are paved paths/roads and I think I would die if I had to do that much pavement right now. So now every run I will try to get some pavement under my feet. It certainly makes me appreciate how soft the gravel is. ;)

I'm back to counting my calories as of yesterday. I don't remember if I mentioned that or not. I had a week long break and it was nice to not track anything other than my exercise. My weight didn't really do anything major that I can't attribute to TOM so I am pleased overall.

Mrs Snark
07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you and I would :hug: you if I could thru this monitor :D. I was hoping you would say this cuz it makes me feel better that my endurance & speed will get better over time. You helped me focus back on what I was aiming all along which is to develop a solid "base" for running.

I'd hug you right back! You will improve by leaps and bounds your first year of running -- so enjoy it. As I mentioned I went from 18 minute miles (and barely making it through that mile) at the beginning to running 9:30s over a 13 mile distance. I will *never* again experience those kinds of massive gains in speed and endurance, these kinds of improvements are unique to beginners, so *ENJOY* this time and don't feel rushed to reach arbitrary goals. When you are a beginner in a sport, there is a good chance that every time you go out the door to engage in your chosen activity you will have a breakthrough in some aspect of it -- like hitting a new distance, running for longer a longer interval than every before, running slightly faster than you ever have before, feeling better than ever in previous run, etc. It really is an amazing time. Just look at Billie's running plurks and the amazing spurts of progress, it is SO cool! :carrot:

Now, I do wonder, how much will my short legs play a factor in my endurance, speed & running overall? I notice that Mike's one stride is equal to my 2 strides (he's around 5'10"). He doesn't run fast but I notice especially when we run on track that he's always on the other side during each loop. Here I am chugging along and when I look around for him, he's on the other side of the track. But, I feel that I have better endurance than he does or at least, I like to believe that ;)

The fact that you are shorter will not be a disadvantage to you in the long run. Lots of different factors affect speed (stride length, stride rate, flexibility, natural cornering ability [on a track], efficiency, personal bio-mechanics, V02 max, blah blah blah etc.). The bottom line is that there are advantages and disadvantages to being both tall OR short when it comes to running. So it is nothing to worry about, really.

Mrs Snark
07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
So now every run I will try to get some pavement under my feet.

Good job on your four miler! Yeah, running on pavement is definitely different. It is good to mix it up.

I'm glad your break from counting worked out well and was mentally relaxing!

pintobean
07-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Jo, thank you SO much for all this information and guidance :hug:. I appreciate it very, very much. And, here's something that will make you laugh and make me look like an idiot. My polar has V02 feature & it just showed a number....weeelll, I thought it was just volume :o. I just read it online to see what it meant. So, thank you again for expanding my knowledge :)

Billie, my first 5k was on the sidewalk and the second, was on the road. Totally, different experience. I'm glad you found some paved area to run on. :woohoo: for back to counting and no harm done from taking a break.

pintobean
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Ugh! Another week, another day. TOM's almost out the door. I'm trying to hang in there. Lately, I'm just so angry or pissed all the time. While I know it's not Voldemort trying to get in my head I also don't know what is causing this particular emotion. I'm usually a laid back kinda gal and don't let too many things ruffle my feathers. Mostly, the only thing that does make me combustible is drivers! Other than that, I am known to let things slide ;). It could be my job, which I hate by the way or the fact that I have to share my freakin' cube. God! I can't stand my cubie sometimes :mad:. He just makes me sick and go eww! a lot of times. Anywho, I'm trying to come up with other reasons and can't think of many at the moment :?:.

/rant over

zinkemomx2
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I did approx 3 miles on the paved bike path yesterday. Then I came home and rode for 45 minutes (7.5 miles). The only thing that hurts is my butt. ;)

I feel your pain Anj. I had quite the temper tantrum yesterday morning. Followed by about an hour of crying. I think mine was a buildup of crap from DH's dad dying and dealing with all the resultant paperwork. Please, please make sure you have your affairs in order for the loved ones you leave behind. And if at all possible talk to your parents to make sure their stuff is in order. I just got off the phone with my mom to make sure hers has been taken care of.

kittycat40
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi chicks! just popping in to say heeeellloo :)

Mrs Snark
07-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi Kitty!

Billie -- I'm sorry about how difficult it is to deal with your FIL's death, that is awful. You are kicking butt with the sports, great job!

Anj -- How's your mood, improved? You're allowed to get cranky, particularly with that cubie you suffer with. He sounds like such an idiot, somebody like him can just get under your skin and drive you mad.

I'm prepping for finals next week, can't wait to be done. Then I get 2 weeks off before school starts again. Have have 2 traditional (non-online) course for Fall semester, I'm looking forward to them for some change!

pintobean
07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
First, Jo, absolutely love the new avatar. Good Luck on your exams. We know you'll ace them! I'm thinking of going back to school too part time. I'm not sure if I want to just take few classes for skill development or go for my masters. Decisions!! I cannot make up my mind. Work will only pay if classes are computer related and they have to be credit courses. Not to mention they'll pay after I get my grades.

Lucy, hello :hug:

Billie, hang in there. Totally understand getting all the financial affairs taken care of. My FIL was not the best either when it came to stuff like that and it was a mess when he passed too. My dad is pretty good with stuff or at least he led me to believe. I'll be seeing them later this year so I'll double check.

Mood is still weird :?:. I feel that I'm still PMSing for some reason. Hubby, of course, is wondering what the heck is wrong with me? I can't give him a definite answer as I don't have one myself. I stew on things for a while and then I know it will be gone, poof! Cubie, is just pathetic. Once I go on about him I can't stop. I feel bad that I ignore him cuz I feel I'm being rude as I am not a rude person but I just cannot go on and on pretending I am interested in listening to what he has to talk about (which is pretty much that he reads a piece of news and then goes on telling me how for eg, these credit card companies blah blah). I don't pretend well.

My butt, hamstrings and quads are killing me. I'm walking and feeling like an unfit old lady :lol:. I upped my level for Jillian's workout and boy, am I in pain. Serves me right for dilly dallying for so long about exercise. Yesterday, it was break for me and while it was SO easy to take that break I decided to do 30 mins of walking on tready at 8% elevation. Jillian normally gives me 2 days of break. I didn't do her workout on monday so I figured that was break enough. But starting next week will be proper days of break.

Here's what I have today:

I don't do the cardio part of the circuits anymore but just hop on the treadmill afterwards for 30 mins run.

*I'm doing alternate workouts for these cuz of my wrists. Injuries suck!

Warm Up/Prep: 5 mins

Strength - 3 sets/15 reps for each.
Cardio - 3 sets of 1 min

Circuit 1:
- Dumbbell Chest Press
- King Squat
- Jumping Jacks

Circuit 2:
- *Plyo Push-Up
- Jumping Squat

Circuit 3:
- Bench Dip
- Step Plyos

Circuit 4:
- Reverse-Grip Shoulder Press
- Weighted Crunch
- Jumping Jacks

Circuit 5:
- Triceps Kickbacks
- Double Crunch
- Jumping Rope

Cool Down: 5 mins

Mrs Snark
07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds like a cool routine. What is a King Squat?

pintobean
07-23-2009, 09:19 AM
...What is a King Squat?

Step 1:
Place a bench about 2 feet behind you. Bring your right leg up be&shy;hind you and bend at the knee. Then place your right foot top down so it rests on the bench, with the edge of the bench hitting you just at the ankle. Your left leg should be planted out a little ways in front of you with toes pointing to the front. Now, bend your left leg until your left thigh is parallel with the floor. Your right knee should drop down and back toward the bench, but should never touch the ground. Keep your front left knee from going over the toe and keep your shoulders aligned over your hips.

Step 2:
Hold for a beat and exhale, pressing back up to the starting position. Complete a full set with your left foot forward, then switch legs and repeat.

You can definitely feel the burn. I love squats. I know I am weird :D . Lunges too actually, I prefer static lunges more than forward or backward though.

Mrs Snark
07-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Ah ok, I know these as "Bulgarian Split Squats". Funny how everything has multiple names!

pintobean
07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Happy Monday :D

How is everyone doing?

pintobean
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
There should be legal bans to bringing sea food to work and especially if you’re freakin’ sharing a tiny cube. God! I am about to throw up in his food! :barf:

Mrs Snark
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Most people know it is common courtesy not to bring fish and such to work. I hope you've pointed that out to him. And if he must, he should eat in a break room, not your shared cube. You should insist.

pintobean
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Most people know it is common courtesy not to bring fish and such to work. I hope you've pointed that out to him. And if he must, he should eat in a break room, not your shared cube. You should insist.

I wish I could. We don't have any seating area in the break room which is across from our cube...so not much help :(.
But, I did exact my revenge of the salad on him :devil:. I had a fairly medium size crunchy salad and I made sure I was crunching slowly and loudly for good 10-15 mins. I know he probably was nodding off so I bet he wasn't too happy :lol:

Mrs Snark
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Then I'd tell him if he is going to be rude enough to bring in seafood he should go eat in the car. Seriously.

zinkemomx2
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I vote for just puke in it and get it over with. ;)

pintobean
07-27-2009, 02:35 PM
:lol: yeah, puking would be so much easy. He doesn't bring it often for which I am thankful. I will say something next time he brings it. I think I missed the opportunity this time. Nothing bothers me as much as seafood smell for some reason.

I just came back from my walk. I've been trying to walk at work (which I used to do and stopped doing it) every day for at least 1/2 hour or so. I think it is about 2 miles/10 laps around the building. I need to use my pedometer to determine that for sure.

Fat Chick B Gone
07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Hmm well I'm one that falls into the yeah it sucks but sorry category (sorry Anj!). To some people my thai dish or garlicky dish or something else might be really gross smelling. I'm personally grossed the frick out by any flesh these days but that's not going to stop most from bringing it, heating it and making me smell it. The whole "you can't make everyone happy" thing I suppose.

I'm about as bloated as a hot air balloon right now. Too much drinking, salty foods, etc this weekend. Not counting calories today as I'm still so off from the weekend and I had lunch out with clients. I do think I'll do a bike ride tonight and then back to your regularly scheduled eating right and extra exercising tomorrow.

pintobean
07-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Hmm well I'm one that falls into the yeah it sucks but sorry category (sorry Anj!). To some people my thai dish or garlicky dish or something else might be really gross smelling. I'm personally grossed the frick out by any flesh these days but that's not going to stop most from bringing it, heating it and making me smell it. The whole "you can't make everyone happy" thing I suppose...

Oh I know and I totally understand that :D. I was just being whiny about my cubie. Everything about him makes me mad. Hope you are feeling less bloaty today.:hug: It's the suck!

Oh I did 45 mins of run on my tready yesterday. It felt so much better for some reason. Either my buffy episode was really capturing my attention :lol: or the fact that I reduced the speed and made sure I was in my target HR for fat burn/endurance range (60%-80%). I still go a tad over my target HR but I don't want to run any slower as then I'll be forcing myself to run on that level. The real challenge would be when I go run on the track. I think it is easier to control how fast or slow you run on a treadmill vs. outside.

Here's the site I checked (someone posted it on 3FC in another thread) - Heart Rate Training Zones (http://exercizermaximizer.com/Heart_Rate_Calculator.html)

zinkemomx2
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Where is everyone hiding?

pintobean
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm here...not hiding. :D