Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #1  

Default I need some help!

My husband and I went on this diet. Well, I started about 2 months before him and then saw me losing and decided to do it himself. Well, here we are about 6 months later (6 for me 4 for him) and he has lost all of hs weight and looks great!!! I mean he looks awesome! How did he lose so dang fast?! I mean he is down to his goal weight even and still keeps losing!! I am still working hard and yes, I am losing but not anywhere near the rate he did! I have been really strugglig this week too and have been "hormonal" so that doesn't help. I stumbled across this site and decided to join and maybe get some support to help me through the hard times.
Does anybody have any tricks or ideas to help me? I have been ok resisting most of my urges but I have slipped up and had several large spoonfuls of peanut butter! My gosh it felt like it was a little peice of heaven even! *sigh* now I am addicted! I know it doesn't have that may carbs in but it seems to be putting me on the edge of a break down! The funny thing is that before I started the diet I didn't even like Peanut butter plain! I thought it was gross! I just want more and more and more! What do I do? What do you guys do when this happens to you? What have you found to be the most helpful? Am I awful for this peanut butter situation? I swear I feel like my husband is looking at me like I am disgusting and pitiful when I grab another spoonful! I am sure it is in my head but I have awful self esteem anyway. Help!
fatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Men do have a tendency to lose a little faster than women. My husband out loses me every week. My doctor even confirmed that in most cases men do lose more quickly than women. Not in every case because there are tons of variables that come into play. My dieting is about my body, my health, I love my husband, but if I compared my losses in a negative way to my husbands losses I would drive my self nuts. Maybe its time to reevaluate what you are dieting for.

Just want to add, I am not on Atkins, so my advice is solely about the comparison between men and women in weight loss.

Last edited by Cebsme; 06-18-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't do Atkins so can't help with any of that. However, as for your husband losing quicker. Men lose quicker/easier (in general) than us, their metabolism body makeup is just different so they lose faster.

Like I said, I don't do Atkins but don't go off plan thinking he's done something amazing. He didn't, he's just made differently so that he lost it faster. You'll get there too. If the PB that big a temptation, give it away and get it out of the house, that way you're not tempted.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #4  

thanks for rsponding so fast!
Well, good and bad here--The peanut butter is gone--bad news, I ate it.
At least I can move past i and chalk it up to lesson learned. Still feel guilty though. The temptation was so horrible! I haven't felt that way at all since I have started. Oh wait, there was and incident with some Girl Scout cookies. That was a long time ago (or so it seems). I just have to try and remember that I am still losing no matter what else I am still losing. I guess I am just plain Jealous Of my hubby. I know it's pathetic I should just be happy for him --and I AM but I am also jealous. I have been working so hard for so long and was ven doing it before him and BOOM it was like someone waved a magic wand at him and it was gone. But, he looks hot. He always has though.
And yes if I don't stop comparing myself to him I am going to go nuts! LOL! I think I am just feeling down this week about me and several other things and have been pretty stressed at work too. Just in general had a sucky week. You know?
Anyway, any other helpful tips anyone could give me would be awesome. Thank you so much everyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Situation normal! My husband decided to go low carb right after I did and of course lost weight very rapidly. He had less to lose and is tall so it came off much faster. Hang in there, I caught up with him and now have lost more but then again, I had more to spare on my 5'3" frame, LOL
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #6  

That is about how tall I am! LOL! I definantly have it to spare! That is a good way to look at it! I hadn't really thought about that. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

don't worry about what you can't change.

Men lose faster than women.

Really heavy women lose faster than less heavy women.

young women lose faster than older women.

but you can't make yourself into someone you're not, you just have to deal with YOU.

For this reason I'm not a big fan of weigh loss competitions unless they are built on effort not results. A moderately heavy postmenopausal woman can work 3 times harder on weight loss and lose way less than a younger fatter woman or any man, but in my book she'd be the winner.

In the end, it comes off for all of us one by one by one... and it takes quite a while for many of us.

No one ever said life is fair.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #8  

Thank you. I like your motto at the bottom "Progress, not perfection". That is great!!! That is a very good way to think of it too. And yes I do need to deal with me and my own insecurities. I think that is my biggest problem. I know it is. But, thanks for putting into perspective for me guys. Sometimes that is what I need!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Yep, men lose it faster. Nothing you can do about it. I want to talk about the PB though. You have two issues going on I think, physical addiction and emotional addiction. You are used to having it now, it tastes good, and you are craving it, right? You try not to give in but you Just.Can't.HelpIt. Right?? Sounds like an emotional addiction, right? Cravings, willpower - you're being BAD and it feels GOOD but it makes you feel TERRIBLE and GUILTY? Am I close?

Guess what. No emotional addiction is present. It isn't you being naughty. Your BODY is READDICTED to SUGAR. Induction got you off craving sugar, right? Think back. First 3-4 days were horrible then you felt a little better, then a lot, then wow no sugar addiction. Well, you slipped, you had a little sugar...now the cravings are back. It is a Physical Addiction.

How did Dr. Atkins advise breaking sugar addictions?

Induction.

Go back on induction. It will kick the sugar addiction. Seriously. I promise. And quit beating yourself up about it. It is a Physical Addiction, like alcohol.

That's all. You can do it!

(Been there, done that, by the way. With the same foul substance! LOL)
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote