Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Help! Family Visiting For 10 Days!

So my 3 lovely sisters (ages 13, 20 and 30) will be visiting me and my husband from out of state June 27th - July 5th. I'm taking vacation during that time so I can show them around the area etc.

I live in a small (650 sqft) 1 bedroom apartment. It's really no big deal as far as sleeping etc, but I'm worried about maintaining my exercise routine, as I workout in my living room every morning. Also, we will be eating out a lot, and I want to have a good time, but not blow my diet out of the water.

Any tips?

Last edited by festivus; 06-18-2009 at 01:50 PM.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Walking around showing them things will be a good workout. Opt for walking whenever possible instead of the car.

When eating out be prepared, go on websites for restaurants if possible and give yourself 3 options (in case they dont have something) that are on plan for you. Invest in a calorie king book, I got mine at Kmart, has tons of restaurants nutritional information including calories, carbs and fat.

As far as your morning routine since we are talking all girls how about getting some fun dance type workout dvds/tapes and making it more fun. Try to do it together for sister time.

Hope you have a great visit.

Last edited by Cebsme; 06-18-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

what she said! Do they know you routinely work out now and are they supportive of it? If so, like Cebsme said, get something really fun that you can all do together. Yoga Booty Ballet is the first choice that comes to mind. Also, all the walking will definitely help, park further away than needed and walk, walk, walk!

Definitely check out restaurants online before you leave so you know where/what your best options are. If you really want something not completely on plan, ask for a to-go box when you order and then put half your food in before you even start eating. You'd be surprised how often this "trick" helps. You only eat half but you're full and then take the rest home for the lunch the next day or something.

Remember, this is a new lifestyle, don't deny yourself everything. A lot of chain restaurants now have mini desserts that are only a 100 - 300 calories so you can have your cake and eat it too so to speak.

Have fun!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Definitely walking. I actually lost several pounds last time I went on a cruise becaue instead of my usual habit of the time at sitting in front of the tv snacking I was eating a set interverals (and enjoying fresh carribean fruits to the hilt) and walking constantly. If your family is in pretty good shape you have a lot of options that are less expensive then just going to restaurants! Pack a picnic lunch and take them to the zoo or walking around down town. If it's in season hit a farmer's market and get some fresh fruit and vegetables. Pack an ice chest with healthy snacks and take mini day trips.

As for the original question of working out I wouldn't work out in the living room if they're asleep or if they're not supportive but if I had a set routine and not just a video I would probably go outside and do it. I've seen plenty of people doing sit ups or jumping jacks in the local park and working out outside in the morning can be really inspiring (as long as the weather holds)
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Or, if you're really uncomfortable exercising in front of them, if you have a 24 hour fitness near you, they offer free 7 day trial memberships. Seems like it might be a good time to try one out! Who knows...it might make a gym-addict out of you!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #6  
It's a Climb-Miley Cyrus

S/C/G: 0/-1/-11

Height: 5'1"

I LOVE the idea of putting half of your meal in a to-go box before you start eating! I've never heard of that, but will definitely use that idea in future.

I think it's great that all your sisters are visiting, you must get along great. Working out together would definitely be fun.

There are so many good ideas here that I'm afraid to post mine, especially since it's not exactly kosher. If your sisters aren't into workout with you, try getting a 7-day trial membership at a nearby gym. Is that really lame-o? ;P
GLChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

The to-go box idea came from weight watchers and my daughter and I have used it to very good effect. We never want the same thing or we'd just share one meal, so this works great. We eat out almost every Saturday and/or Sunday and this makes it doable without totally wrecking our calories for the day.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Oh I agree. You look at calories and realize that most restaurant meals have enough calories for 2-3 meals anyway. I just try to make sure I get a healthy side or starter and eat all of that and then add a healthy side at home with my left over entree. In fact sometimes I go ahead and bring a plastic lunch container with me to the restaurant so I don't have to ask for a styrofoam container, the food cools off faster in fridge, it's microwavable and there's not an extra peice of trash in the landfill. I have a whole collection of ones that collapse and nestle pretty small so I can keep 1 in my bag.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
PLAN PLAN PLAN your meals. Keep with what you usually make, and make sure that you stick with the plan.
PACK YOUR LUNCH. If you are touring, make a picnic lunch and take it with you. You can eat at local parks, state parks, and so on. But this will save you $$$ and aggravation. It'd be fun, too...
WALK as much as possible. If you can get there by walking, then walk! Don't drive from site to site unless you absolutely have to. You can centrally park and walk from there.
CHOOSE YOUR RESTAURANTS WISELY. Again, this goes hand in hand with planning. And watch the "lets just have some ice cream" temptations along the way.
The YMCA in Portland, Oregon offers one week FREE passes:
http://www.ymca-portland.org/healthandwellness.html
http://www.ymca-portland.wbees.com/f...all_Online.pdf
There may be a location near you!

Forgive yourself for any stumbles, own your decisions, get back on track after they go, and JUST. HAVE. FUN!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #10  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misora View Post
In fact sometimes I go ahead and bring a plastic lunch container with me to the restaurant so I don't have to ask for a styrofoam container, the food cools off faster in fridge, it's microwavable and there's not an extra peice of trash in the landfill. I have a whole collection of ones that collapse and nestle pretty small so I can keep 1 in my bag.
That is SUCH a great idea! Maybe it's OT for this thread, but it makes me crazy to see so much styrofoam going into the garbage ... I often have just left food if the restaurant doesn't offer a cardboard take-away box (which I can compost). Now I am living in the land of styrofoam, apparently, 'cause that's all that's ever available.

So thanks for that idea to carry my own container in my purse. I already have a compact shopping-type bag that I use all the time but I never thought of a food-storage container...

And best of luck to the OP. I have been visiting family and traveling, so I have been using a lot of tricks to stay on plan - looking up restaurant menus before we go out, power-walking with my niece and her dog, etc.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sometimes you have to decide it doesn't matter what other people may think. When I started, I was only doing yoga, but I was doing it every single day, for and hour to an hour and a half. I was very self-conscious about my family learning about it. They are so not yoga people . But in the end, it was fine. Maybe they think I'm weird, but they don't say anything. And really, in the end, why should I think they really care much? They have their own lives!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote