Weight Loss Support - The body type you like?

View Full Version : The body type you like?

AmberE
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
I have given this a lot of thought since I am now 18 pounds from my goal weight. I think I would be happy with a J-lo type of body, soft and sexy :D.

I have found on some other forum people give you a hard time if you don't want to be a bodybuilder, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it just isn't for me and I don't want it force fed down my thoat.

Today I read an amazing article about society's views on bulky http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

I was curious on what you amazing ladies would think of the article and what your ideal body types are.

DCHound
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
My ideal body type for me would be Linda Hamilton from Terminator 2. I would settle for Xena Warrior Princess, though. I'm just too muscular to be the willowy type ~ although a good friend of mine saw a majic picture a professional photographer took of me an an event this weekend and said I looked "ethereal" LOL.

Not that you asked, but my ideal male body type is tall, blonde, scrawny, dorky, with glasses. :)

choirgirlhotel
06-16-2009, 09:35 PM
My ideal body type would be Kim Kardashian - with smaller hips. But all natural of course!

~Choirgirl~

amy180
06-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Wow. The "bulky" women pictured in that article don't look bulky to me at all.

Maybe if I could magically change my body type, I'd be little and waifish, but I know that even at my lowest weight, I tend to be muscular. I'm fine with that. When I weighed 130 or so, I had noticeable definition in my arm and leg muscles, and I liked that. I never had a six pack, even then, but I did have a waist (boy do I miss having a waist!). I'm okay with the body type I have, I just need to have less fat on my body. ^_^

Not that you asked, but my ideal male body type is tall, blonde, scrawny, dorky, with glasses.
Haha. Change that to "dark-haired" and it would be my ideal male body type. ^_^

divinechaos
06-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I want to have an athlete's body. Defined arms/back/legs/etc. Not just for looks, but also so I can do well in the physical tests the military demands (I plan on joining in three years). I want to look like.. hmm.. you know, one of those kick *** girls you see on TV or in movies (think Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider).

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
I would say I like three...

I do like the fuller, Kim Kardashian body type, big hips and all. I have no problem with big hips/butt. If I can get mine down to 40 inches, I'll be happy with that. I'll never have those boobs though...well..maybe when I'm breastfeeding. :lol:

I like a a bit more muscular and lean type but still soft and feminine with a hint of muscle showing over the body. This is more my goal for right now. Like her http://www.tmuscle.com/pi.do?id=2007289 and her http://www.tmuscle.com/pi.do?id=3074287

And, I also like a bit muscular. Like these http://media.photobucket.com/image/phoenix%20gladiator/DigsyMadrox/Phoenix.jpg, http://media.photobucket.com/image/jelena%20abbou/coconutsandapples/NEW/jel-cover.png

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh..and if we're going to talk about men's body types, I'll go with John Cena. http://fast1.onesite.com/fans.wwe.com/user/missfrenchie/john_cena.jpg

seagirl
06-17-2009, 07:30 AM
I want a body like mine but smaller all around except the bum. I want a bum like Kim K. or J Lo. I need something to fill out my jeans.

Devsmama
06-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I already have the "Kim Kardashian" body type except my butt is real and so are my boobs. I just want a smaller version of my body, with Mel Bs stomach and I would be happy. I love my T & A and don't want to give that up, just tone it up, so I'm happy with what I have. Now that I think about it, that's a Serena Williams body..lol..

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Okay, I read the article. Jessica Biel is bulky?? Okayyy. In the video, someone referred to the "amazonian" women as pre-op (as in, before becoming a man I guess). That is just MEAN.

If Jessica Biels is bulky and manly...then sign me up!!

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/79/4/jessica-biel-booty-52.0.0.0x0.373x613.jpeg

Devsmama
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
I just read the article, I think its pretty funny-Jessica Alba has the ideal bodytype? Ok.........

ICUwishing
06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Probably just my formative years being spent around swimmers - but Dara Torres is my IDOL.

Water25
06-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't call those women bulky at all. They are just defined. So now having a lower body fat percentage equals bulky? Great.:dizzy:

I would love to have hips. I have never had hips. It takes several hours of work each week just to have what little bit of butt I have.
Right now I look like Xena Warrior Princess with smaller hips.(or at least I would if wearing a leather armor bustier like her's).;)

I would love to have curves like Jessica biel or Kim Kardashian. Some junk in the trunk to balance my apparently bulky shoulders.

GlamourGirl827
06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I am also wishing for the Kim Kardashian/ curvy body. Right now I'm more lumpy, than curvy. I don't want to be buff, just softly fit and a healthy weight.

sws19
06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
if i could completely change my body type entirely, i guess the type that is most appealing to me is the kind used for fashion: long and lean, smallish B cup titae. i think this is most versatile for clothing and almost always looks flattering.
however, given the constraints of reality, i would go for curvy. i'll never have kk's backside, but i am pretty curvy. i sprouted hips in 6th grade and was a c cup by 8th grade, all while weighing around 120. so that's my goal, trying to get back to there.
also agree that the "bulky" women they showed were for the most part not what i consider too muscular for a woman. well, the hilary swank pics from million dollar baby is starting to get into territory i don't find appealing, but that's the low end of what i'd consider bulky.

Niecy
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I think when my weight is down in a normal range and I am fit, I have close to the same body type as Jessica B or Britney Spears (pre boob job)....MUCH bigger butt and hips than up top but my shoulders kind of square off just like Jessica's. When I've gotten too skinny, it just goes all Gwen Stefani on me. A little butt, but no boobs at all, just a little boyish with not much definition. Don't want that again. Her figure has gotten better since having children though.

If I had a CHOICE, I would like to be a little more proportioned up top like Kim K. or J. Lo and definitely Mel B's abs.

forestroad
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Nicole Scherzinger...perfect combo of definition and curvy :) http://thesuperficial.com/2009/06/nicole_scherzinger_in_a_bikini.php

Tomato
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I read the article just a few minutes before reading your post (I am getting regular updates from Leigh's website so it just arrived this morning).
I had to laugh at the definition of bulky. I hate the big hips-huge butt look. I would sign my soul over to the Devil for Linda Hamilton's (in T2) or Dara Torres's body in a heartbeat.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention Hilary Swank. In fact, earlier today, I swapped Dara's picture for Hilary's (http://www.channel4.com/news/media/2008/02/week_2/hilary_swank_380.jpg) on my desktop at work (my colleagues think I am nuts, but that's ok).

Wannabeskinny
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I think I like all body types as long as the woman is healthy and feels good about herself. So.... confidence is my favorite body type :)

I have an hour glass shape which I'm very happy with, I just need to shed some fat and I'll be good. My thighs will be the real problem as I have lost over 20lbs but zero inches from my thighs :o. I would love to look like Linda Hamilton - strong, and thin but that's not my body type. The closest I'm able to resembling is Scarlett Johannsen which would be fine by me since she's a favorite body type among men.

Mickeypnd
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I just want to wear a bikini and look good. :^:

soft and curvy for me.

Moralia
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I am aiming for a body like Reese Witherspoon (can't link up/post images yet)... slim and feminine... well toned, but no "bulk". :D

nelie
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I love the girl in the boxing movie. I'd really kill to have a body like hers but I don't think she is bulky. She has muscles and a low enough body fat to show them off.

Really though, in order to get muscles like the women in the 'bulky' section, you have to be extremely dedicated and work out with incredibly heavy weights for a long time and have a low body fat.

I personally like to see 'shape' on women and if you look at the women in the 'not bulky' area, they don't really appear to have any shape to their arms. It makes me believe that they could be skinny-fat which means they have a high percentage of fat for their weight.

Of course the thing about muscle is it is so easy to lose and in order to gain it, you really do have to be dedicated to it. You can gain some muscle obviously from working with weights at any level but you will plateau if you don't push yourself. Now that may be fine and fit with your goals but it doesn't fit with mine.

megwini
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I have found on some other forum people give you a hard time if you don't want to be a bodybuilder, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it just isn't for me and I don't want it force fed down my thoat.

It was a very interesting article. I hate to admit it, but I agree. I'm one of the ones who wishes I could have the benefit of increased metabolism from muscle gain without it being visible that I have ANY muscle. A lot of people say, "But it's not muscular, it's toned." Well, even the look of "toned" turns me off, I've discovered. I like the arms with no definition, just smooth and soft. So for me..... JUST enough body fat to still be soft, but no more than that. I don't want to be a stick, but I still want a hair of squish to me. That's my ideal. It's also what I look for in other women, as I've realized over the years that I always want to emulate what I myself am attracted to.

Are these what would be considered "toned"? This is the mental image I have:
http://www.decreasemuscle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2.jpg
http://www.musclehack.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/weight-training-for-women.jpg
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Rebecca_Leigh_model_sexy_fitness_model_a.jpg

For me that is beyond turn-off. When a woman has even a SLIGHT sixpack.... no no no no no. For me I need just a hint of squish there. Not much, just a hint. If it's not there... no deal.

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't know what women consider "toned". I HATE that word. It doesn't make any sense. I am sure the three pictures you just listed would be considered "bukly" by the women who took the survey. The first one is Jelena Abbou, I linked her on the first page of this thread. I guess you could consider those women "toned" but I don't know because I don't use the word. Make sense? I think they look great, whatever you want to call them. Not your cup of tea though and that's fine.

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I hate the big hips-huge butt look. I would sign my soul over to the Devil for Linda Hamilton's (in T2) or Dara Torres's body in a heartbeat.

Maybe it's weird that I like BOTH? :D

L R K
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I haven't really thought exactly what kind of body I would like, I just know that there will be point where I will say "I am happy right now"

Su-Bee
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I love curvy women. I often find that people who are successful in reaching their goal weights would, to me, have looked nicer had they stopped when they were 10 pounds heavier.

My natural shape, however, is a barrel-shaped torso (almost no waist) with very muscular (but still stick-like compared to my barrel body) legs.

Niecy
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Meg, I agree with the second pic you posted. That is also too much muscle for me. The 3rd one would be as far as I would go with the muscle building. She is what I would call "athletic" build like cheerleader or dancer or something. Maybe that is because I can't see her arms. The first one is okay, but veering toward looking like the 2nd picture.

I guess I would prefer like you; a little definition but still soft. But I definitely don't want to look "sqautty" like the 2nd picture by adding too much. Is squatty a word? lol I hope that makes sense. The more muscle a woman adds, the shorter and stockier it tends to look. Just like the dudes, like sometimes they have no necks. To me, anyway.

Ija
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I would kill for Jelena Abbou's body (without the giant implants). Well, maybe not kill in the literal sense, but kill in the gym ;) I don't think I'll ever quite get there, even with how much I'm lifting now, because a body like that takes years of extreme discipline. But yes, that's what I want. Truthfully, I hate the skinny-fat look, which is unfortunately where I am right now. I don't want to be a soft, flabby size 6 anymore... I only wish I started lifting heavy from the start!

firefliesandpixies
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
What I have (curves) with less fat attached to them :D...that's what *I* want! And if I can't have that...I'll settle for Jennifer Aniston's body type!

booskibabe
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
My ideal would be Jennifer Aniston. What I would love love love to have is a flat stomach. I had a round belly even as a child.
To PP who posted a pic of John Cena - my brother looks a lot like that! His bf% is about as low as it can go. I think it was around 4% at one point.

Fat Pants
06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I just want to wear a bikini and look good. :^:

This! :lol:

I like my body... it just needs (a lot) less fat. Many times I have stood in front of the mirror sans clothes and thought "man! I have the idea hourglass shape... just too much fat!"

At this point in my journey, I just want to get down to my ideal weight, and then work on toning up...which may or may not result in inches lost.

One thing I do want, though, is runner's legs.

TamiL
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I like the body type I have also. I am very much an hourglass but still have a little pouchy thing in my middle from having kids. I am hoping 10 more pounds or so and maybe the darned thing will recede....

CLCSC145
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I guess I just want the best version of what my body can be. And being a very tall girl I have issues with feeling feminine being so much taller than so many men so I'm not interested in developing features, like arms, that make me look like a man. Then again, I don't want them flapping in the wind either!

My body type under all this fat is athletic I suppose. Small boobs even now, not hourglass by any stretch of the imagination, but not boyish either, not a big backside.

choirgirlhotel
06-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Nicole Scherzinger...perfect combo of definition and curvy :) http://thesuperficial.com/2009/06/nicole_scherzinger_in_a_bikini.php

Yes, I agree. Just bigger boobs (for me).

~Choirgirl~

Ufi
06-17-2009, 03:44 PM
To be honest, it's hard to picture myself ever being bulky or even looking like I might be bulky. I've been big for so long, and I've never really been in shape. I have some pictures of myself when I was thinner decades ago, but it's really hard for me to look in the mirror and imagine my current body changing and what that might look like.

There is something appealing to me about the idea of being big, as in substantial. Solid. So that people wouldn't mistake me for being fragile, weak, just some girl one can discount.

SamanthaJubilee
06-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, I finally got to watch the video and I do think those girls were kinda more plump than I like.

What my ideal of the "perfect" body for myself:
Gina Carino http://fitgirls.hit.bg/gallery/gina_carino.html
I think she is still very sexy and yet has that toned body I wish I could have.

However, since I am so tall & I have the booty & boobs I think something along the lines of Brooke Hogan will look better - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2065940865_93e72c8296.jpg

megwini
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Well if that's toned, I don't mind that too much. I think anything beyond that is when it's more "toned" than I like. It's a fine line... I think if there is just enough muscle definition that you can be fit but your arms are still not having any shape yet, it's okay. But after that I don't really like it. To each their own though!
I think those two girls have good bodies though... but I can never picture myself looking that way, since I've been fat pretty much my whole life. I too am tall like you, but I have no idea what size my boobs or butt will be once I'm at goal.... so I can't even imagine what my body will look like.

Alana in Canada
06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Interesting article, but I'm finding the discussion a wee bit hard to follow, as I do not follow celebrity culture. I looked up Hilary Swank "Million Dollar Baby" but I can't do that for every person mentioned.

Can you help me identify who is who?

In the bulky, Top row, left to right we have:
Hilary Swank, ???, Tina Turner.

Bulky: Bottom row, ???, Linda Hamilton.

I cannot identify any of these women at all.

Not Bulky:

Top Row: ????
Bottom Row: ????

Yeah, I know. I don't know what planet I live on, either.

ETA: Thanks for the link to Gina Carino. Her body is just about perfect, in my opinion. I'd like to look something like that (though my tummy won't ever be quite that fat free) and my girls will never be that size without surgery! Her shoulders naturally slope downwards like mine do (Hard to keep the bra straps up) so a little definition in the delts looks good. Odd how I can't really tell what her traps look like. Mine are naturally large, (as is the muscle that makes my knees look "wider". Yuck.)

Tremendously interesting article though.

SamanthaJubilee
06-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I too am tall like you, but I have no idea what size my boobs or butt will be once I'm at goal.... so I can't even imagine what my body will look like.

I've always had a booty...even when I was skinny.

Now the boobs...well they aren't going anywhere. That was my Christmas/Birthday/Mother's Day present to myself last year. No matter how much my weight fluctuated...my boobs didn't change. They stayed the same size. So even though I'm over weight I decided to get them done. It made me feel more proportionate.

SamanthaJubilee
06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Alana:
Bulky top row = 1st one I'm not sure, 2nd = Hilary Swank 3rd = Tina Turner
Bottom row = Jessica Biel & Linda Hamilton

SamanthaJubilee
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Not Bulky = Jessica Alba & idk???
bottom row = looks like Gabby from Desperate Housewives in the 1st two pics...not sure who the last person is.

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
The first one of the bulky is also Hillary Swank. The last one of the non-bulky is one of those Pussycat dolls I believe.

LandonsBaby
06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I too am tall like you, but I have no idea what size my boobs or butt will be once I'm at goal.... so I can't even imagine what my body will look like.

I know my boobs will pretty much disappear. :(

wishful04
06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I personally think that a little tiny bit of chub is actually kind of cute.. My ideal weight that I'm trying to get to is around 150, and I know that I won't be the skinnyest thing around.. I just want to look a lot more toned, and have a smooth body, rather than this lumpy thing I have now..

Windchime
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Put me in the Linda Hamilton (T2) column. She was so tough and sexy in that movie!

But since we have to also deal with reality, I pretty much like the body I have. Only I'd like the one I had at age 15, please. Thank you.

ringmaster
06-17-2009, 11:45 PM
hmm.. I didn't think Jessica Biel as bulky either; I wouldn't mind having her body.

I think realistically for my body type it's hard to put on that type of muscle, so I would just like be toned and not flabby. I don't think I'm built to ever have a nice round booty like J-Lo either.

I like Cindy Crawford's body back in her supermodel days... thin but not a waif..that's kinda my goal now; if I happen to put on some visible muscle I'll be fine with that though.

chicky viv
06-18-2009, 01:24 AM
I don't think Jessica Biel is bulky at all. She is equal part curvey and lean. I love her body.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:RYZ5ZeXUKPbwwM:http://andreeaionita.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/jessica-biel-gq-04.jpg

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:dD8_iJwXsttkeM:http://www.celebridiot.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/jessica-biel-gq-12.jpg

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:VVaCRSVkF43k-M:http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/21/80/biel_gq_4.0.0.0x0.432x298.jpeg

D Red757
06-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Hmmmm. I'd have to keep the booty - my BF loves it HELLO! But I'd love to be the smaller me again.. Except I'd like to keep some of the boobs. LOL. I didn't have them when I was smaller - just a big ole' butt (which I couldn't help but love when all the boys in HS we're fauning over it) LOL. But I do want my smaller frame back - that would be LOVELY ;)

Robbynmarie k
06-19-2009, 03:09 AM
If I could change everything I would go from my ddd's to a c cup and the perfect body type to me would be angelina jolie.

Wannabeskinny
06-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Lots of folks mention Angelina Jolie as their "ideal". Have you seen her up close? She's waifishly thin, like you could knock her over with your pinky and play her spine like a xylophone with huge veins running down her arms and hands. I think she probably has to beef up for some of her roles but she's a very slight woman.

Stella
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I do not like a female body to be overly muscular. It looks good on a model in a well staged photo, but IRL, it looks unfeminine and exaggerated.

I`d love a body ike Dita von Teese`s. It`s curvy and soft, with boobs and a bum, and yet, she`s tiny!

kk140
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I like my body type too so I would just want it with less fat! I love Scarlett Johannsen's body too so I vote for soft and curvy. I find it more feminine than muscles showing everywhere. I would like just enough muscle for my arms and legs not to jiggle but not so much that you see the definition lines.

Alana in Canada
06-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the celebrity guides SamanthaJubilee and LandonsBaby!

WhitePicketFences
06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm another who likes Scarlett Johannsen, at least what I've seen, if that's representative (I don't keep up with celebs too well).

I want to be toned, but when I say that I really mean ... not flabby. I don't actually want a particularly athletic-looking body. I recall that I was proud of my supposed 2 pack/4 pack/whatever in college, but I'll feel most like me at "thin, soft and feminine." I do want to be "fit" ... but you know, looks-wise, I want to be what I consider most attractive.

In men, I find attractive most body types except for particularly thin (so, the opposite). Average, fit or fat = all fine by me in men.

dragonwoman64
06-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I love Leana Headey from Sarah Connor's Chronicles, but she's thinner than I'll ever be, ha. I think part of it is her attitude (in that character). Tough chick. I'm such a softie, I admire that in other women.

LandonsBaby
06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
I will admit I don't really know what women mean by "fit".

Michelle1210
06-20-2009, 03:58 PM
It would be "Beyounce"

kiramira
06-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Arghhh!!! One of my personal pet peeves is that alot of the photos linked to are of Oxygen-type fitness models. Which is really a distortion of what a woman should look like! You don't see abs unless your body fat is 10% or less. At 10% or less body fat, you lose alot of breast tissue. So these women get implants to get that "ideal" body. These are comic book women -- women drawn to an ideal by men and marketed to and overwhelmingly pre-pubescent, adolescent, and young male market...
Surely we can do better than THAT as ideal?! How about normal weight with the functional ability to haul yourself around, walk for a couple of hours, lift some things, and enough body fat to sustain your life!!

Check the thumbnails -- I can't see much difference in body types...so sad...

OK, rant over...

Kira

Alana in Canada
06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Comicbooks--yes, I thought I'd seen that shape somewhere before!

I cannot look at another woman and say "I want a body like hers." --My body will be it's own shape. Will I want to see well-defined muscle? Well, I don't know. Depends how much work it will take and how much time I have. It's not that important to me at all.

No, I'm excited and curious to see what my new fit and slender self will look like in about a year--warts, loose skin, wrinkles and all.

sacha
06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Arghhh!!! One of my personal pet peeves is that alot of the photos linked to are of Oxygen-type fitness models. Which is really a distortion of what a woman should look like! You don't see abs unless your body fat is 10% or less. At 10% or less body fat, you lose alot of breast tissue. So these women get implants to get that "ideal" body. These are comic book women -- women drawn to an ideal by men and marketed to and overwhelmingly pre-pubescent, adolescent, and young male market...
Surely we can do better than THAT as ideal?! How about normal weight with the functional ability to haul yourself around, walk for a couple of hours, lift some things, and enough body fat to sustain your life!!

Check the thumbnails -- I can't see much difference in body types...so sad...

OK, rant over...

Kira

Sorry, I have to chime in. I am one of those women with abs.

Yes, I started out on 3 fat chicks with a gut and eating Wendys burgers 3x per day. Going from that to an Oxygen body CAN happen. No, it isn't easy, and no, you don't need 10% bf (10%bf for a female is the lowest that even fitness models compete at - I know of one girl who got down to 8%). I have abs and I am at 18% bf.

Yes, I may work out 1-2 hours per day running at 9.0mph on a treadmill doing sprints or deadlifting my bodyweight, but it took 3-4 years to get there. No implants, lol. It isn't unrealistic, but it is a major lifestyle change and one that most people do not have the dedication for. That's fine, there's nothing wrong with simply walking around the block for exercise, it is a matter of personal choice.

But it isn't unrealistic! I know many women with this lifestyle, mainly because we gravitate towards each other. My significant other is the same. Check out bodybuilding.com and you will find hundreds of women in the women's section who look like Oxygen models.

Annita
06-21-2009, 11:57 AM
:) i like long and lean, soft look.
I personally don't like muscular look.
As the article say, it's a personal choice and work hard for it........
(and i need to work hard for it, as i'm not doing that right now >"<)

JulieJ08
06-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I think the problem is we are still trying to look like models. We've just gone from emulating the fashion models to emulating the fitness models. But both are unrealistic as a general ideal body type that the female population at large judges themselves against.

Thighs Be Gone
06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I do have well defined muscles in my arms. It wasn't by choice really, as my weight dropped my definition just started to appear. I actually kind of like it and even do push ups and workout with handweights on 30 DS. I much prefer looking defined to what I used to look like. I do get the question a lot though..
"are you an athlete?"

LandonsBaby
06-21-2009, 01:06 PM
You don't see abs unless your body fat is 10% or less. At 10% or less body fat, you lose alot of breast tissue. So these women get implants to get that "ideal" body.

Actually, for women it's usually more like 15% and some can even be a little higher (and some do have to be a little lower). I've never seen women on Oxygen Magazine that look like the super ripped one you posted. That women does have extremely low bf. If women wants to have 15% body fat, what is wrong with that? It's their preference and it is attainable. It's difficult but it's not completely out of the real of possibilities. It just takes a lot of time, hard work and dedication. If someone is willing to put in the work, then have at it!

And if a women does want the "oxygen model" look that doesn't mean she doesn't take her own body type into consideration. If you have wide hips...you'll still have them. If you have small boobs..well, say goodbye. If you have very large shoulders..they may look a little masculine. If you go look at female fitness competitors you see they vary wildly in body types. They all look different.

LandonsBaby
06-21-2009, 01:07 PM
and now I see Sacha chimed in already. Thanks Sacha! :D

Jinksie
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
my ideal body is my own, with a flat stomach and hips, that dont (in a sense) appear to be hanging (muffin top). And be cellulite free

dragonwoman64
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I think the problem is we are still trying to look like models. We've just gone from emulating the fashion models to emulating the fitness models. But both are unrealistic as a general ideal body type that the female population at large judges themselves against.

I know I am not headed for the model zone, heh heh (well, maybe if there is some scientific revolution that allows for major overhauls in many areas...)

exactly, maybe we shouldn't feel like we have to look like a model.

CountingDown
06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Mine. My body is unique. It was created just for me - no one else.

It isn't perfect (don't get me started on saggy-baggy after losing almost 100 lbs.). But, it is a perfect fit - FOR ME!

And, actually - even the saggy-baggy is good. Because it is an excellent reminder of where I have been. The journey I have traveled - and is an wonderful reminder of WHY I changed my lifestyle and why maintenance is so important :)

nakedmango
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
There seems to be a little anti-buff-women sentiment here, as well as in the video in the link. (Am I reading into it?) ...The more I do resistance, and the lower my body fat gets, the more you can see my muscles. And I am delighted! The last time I lost weight, I got down to the low 130s, through cardio and calorie restriction only--and I gained it back, and then some. When I started my weight-loss/fitness journey last spring, if you had asked me what I wanted to look like, I would have said how I looked then, the last time I lost weight. But that was a random goal--because it was the lowst I could remember weighing post-university, and it was the last time I truly felt hot (because a guy I was dating at the time saw me in a special outfit and said, "You look hot" :D ). Now, I weight about 15 pounds less, and I bet my body fat percentage is significantly lower.

As a consequence of doing resistance and lowering my body fat, my muscles show. I have had muscular legs for a few years now (even when they were hidden under fat) because of cycling to work, but now my arms show muscle too. I scratched my arm the other day, and I felt something funny, and I went, "What the heck is that?!?" It was my tricep--my arm was flexed and my tricep was pumped out--and I couldn't have been happier with myself. That little pumped muscle represented a lot of hard work, and I am proud of it. My shoulders also are noticably defined now, and my biceps too--and a year ago I would have never imagined it could be my body that looked strong.

One of the things I liked when I first started cycling to work was that it made me feel strong. I had never really known my body in that way before, and it may be something unique to the experience of women in this day and age--men are taught to be strong, and in almost every century before this one (and maybe the one before it), women would have spent much of their lives using their bodies for things that required strength--working in the fields, hauling loads of wet laundry, etc. For me, my relationship with my body before cycling was limited: my body was for enjoying (enjoying food, or enjoying pleasure) but it was not strong.

The article that was linked ended with, "Decide what body you want, and train for it." I am deciding what training I want, and love the body that I am getting.

dragonwoman64
06-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I personally think muscles on a woman look great! I think it takes a ton of work to get them, and I admire the dedication.

ladyfyre
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I love the body of Kate Winslet. Curvy, soft, feminine. If I couldn't have that I would want to be lean and buff with lots of muscle definition, but that sounds like lots of work...

Tomato
06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Sacha, LangdonsBaby and NakedMango for speaking up regarding the Oxygen models. Yes, SOME of them have breast implants but not all of them do. And they definitely have more than 10% BF.

Kiramira, you don't have to be a fitness magazine model to look like that. Look at all the people who became Body For Life followers. Here is a link for you so that you can see it for yourself: http://bodyforlife.com/ - just look at the slide show at the top of the page, and if interested, there are links to other rounds of challengers.
NONE of these people are models. They went from obese to super fit by eating clean and doing exercise. Now these are people who deserve a standing ovation. And they all look absolutely fabulous.

Mrs Snark
06-22-2009, 09:56 AM
My ideal aesthetic is lean and pretty smooth. But I actually have a more muscular build, so I embrace that. Besides, as I get older, I'm more into what I can do with my body than exactly how it looks. :)

stargzr
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I would like to say that I have seen an actress who actually has my body type, but that would be a lie. Most actresses are just tiny people in general... and I am not a tiny person. I would like to hope that once my weight loss is over and I am working on maintaining, I will look similar to Tyra Banks (when she had curves) or Heidi Klum.. she seems to have more of an hourglass shape. When I was thinner (once upon a time), I did have a very defined waist, but still had a chest and booty.. so I'm working for that body back!

kiramira
06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
It isn't an issue of being "anti-buff", guys. It is an issue of making a goal of something most people are unable to attain and which in this case is clearly in line with the fantasy comic-book industry and which is unhealthy! If you have been seeing Tosca Reno's show, it becomes pretty clear that the bodies photographed in the Oxygen-like magazines are at the peak of their physique usually after at least 12 weeks of egg white and chicken/low to no carb diets followed by dangerous levels of dehydration to get that "shredded look". The photos are taken, the models come off their diets and the abs and ripped look disappears. But the plastic bosoms stay. And then we see the air-brushed cover of the magazine and think "I SHOULD look like that!!!". And then we place value-judgments on our food (is my diet CLEAN? or DIRTY? and ALL that this implies follows), hit the gym, maybe see a hint of abs, and wonder why we just can't look like Barbarella with implants on 'roids. After all, this is what they look like on the cover of my fitness magazine...

My point is this: we can all be fit. We can all eat healthily, we can all live a life, we can all aspire to be as fit as we can be. But to suggest that you can see abs under an off-season 15%+ bodyfat in the manner that the airbrushed models display is plain old wrong.

Here is a link to an article from MsFit, written my Kim Sessions (bodybuilder, in the fitness industry since 1988) that explains WHY one can't look like a fitness model all the time:

http://forums.isteroids.com/womens-articles/62543-why-dont-i-look-like-fitness-model-yet.html

The salient point includes:

The Truth
The finely-tuned physiques you see displayed in the fitness magazines are ladies in “peak” condition. Peaking is a temporary condition in which the body fat is reduced to very low levels, often times dangerous levels, so the muscle detail is predominantly visible. Most ladies in peaked condition are anywhere from 8-10% body fat, sometimes lower. The peaking process involves specific training and dieting methods, and is usually done for physique shows and photo shoots. In addition, a peaked physique is a severely dehydrated physique, posing health risks.

Classification Female Male
Competition Condition 6-12% 3-7%
Athletic 12-18% 8-13%
Normal 19-24% 14-14%
Borderline 25-31% 18-25%
Overweight 32% + 26% +

This conditioned look is not something that is usually preserved year around. Granted, many ladies will have a good athletic and lean look all year, but it is difficult and unwise to keep such a low degree of body fat year around.

Fitness competitors put a LOT of work into their physiques. They train all year for muscle size and density, and then diet for months on end to lower their body fat and to get cut. It’s difficult to keep such a low body fat and muscle detail all the time. It's really not a glamorous lifestyle, unless you like continual detailed diet and training. I've competed for 7 years, and it is an exhausting chore to get cut, much less stay that way year around. Low body fat wears on you, puts a strain on your immune system, and leads to metabolic downgrade.

This IS the reality of the fitness industry -- just watch what Ms Reno is going through -- her hubby Robert Kennedy said on last week's show that he STRIPS HER DOWN and PHOTOGRAPHS her every single day to show her where her flaws are and where she has to improve to be competitive. Every. Single. Day. Then, when she is in peak condition, after the diet, she does a whole bunch of photo shoots and the photos are released over a long period of time. The photos are published in magazines, and we all think this is how she looks all the time. And we strive to emulate it! Crazy!!! Our ideal is to be unhealthy?? I can do THAT at 244lbs..

So, IF this is your goal, more power to you. But I find it sad that this "ideal" is such an extreme and is unattainable by the average person with kids and a job outside of the fitness industry, and is idolized (dictated?) by those who can only draw their fantasies (and we strive to fulfil it!). And that most, if not all, of these ladies who work so HARD in the industry and put their health at risk do so in order to look like cartoon characters.

And it is no different than working hard to attain the other extreme--wanting to look like a runway model whose BMI is 16. What have we ALL said about the "herion chic" Calvin Klein models of the 90s? And what would we say to someone on this forum who says "I am working hard to look JUST like Calista Flockhart when she was at her tiniest"? Or "I really admire the way the model below looks. She is working in Paris on the runways! I'm going to diet and exercise and get there too..."?

So to me, the pursuit of the fitness model extreme is no different. Both are unhealthy extremes that are held up by their industries as an ideal that women should pursue.

JMHO

Kira

dietcokehead98
06-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I just want a flat stomach. Like Gwen Stefani. Not hard, but soft and flat....

sacha
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
It isn't an issue of being "anti-buff", guys. It is an issue of making a goal of something most people are unable to attain and which in this case is clearly in line with the fantasy comic-book industry and which is unhealthy! If you have been seeing Tosca Reno's show, it becomes pretty clear that the bodies photographed in the Oxygen-like magazines are at the peak of their physique usually after at least 12 weeks of egg white and chicken/low to no carb diets followed by dangerous levels of dehydration to get that "shredded look". The photos are taken, the models come off their diets and the abs and ripped look disappears. But the plastic bosoms stay. And then we see the air-brushed cover of the magazine and think "I SHOULD look like that!!!". And then we place value-judgments on our food (is my diet CLEAN? or DIRTY? and ALL that this implies follows), hit the gym, maybe see a hint of abs, and wonder why we just can't look like Barbarella with implants on 'roids. After all, this is what they look like on the cover of my fitness magazine...

My point is this: we can all be fit. We can all eat healthily, we can all live a life, we can all aspire to be as fit as we can be. But to suggest that you can see abs under an off-season 15%+ bodyfat in the manner that the airbrushed models display is plain old wrong.

Here is a link to an article from MsFit, written my Kim Sessions (bodybuilder, in the fitness industry since 1988) that explains WHY one can't look like a fitness model all the time:

http://forums.isteroids.com/womens-articles/62543-why-dont-i-look-like-fitness-model-yet.html

The salient point includes:

The Truth
The finely-tuned physiques you see displayed in the fitness magazines are ladies in “peak” condition. Peaking is a temporary condition in which the body fat is reduced to very low levels, often times dangerous levels, so the muscle detail is predominantly visible. Most ladies in peaked condition are anywhere from 8-10% body fat, sometimes lower. The peaking process involves specific training and dieting methods, and is usually done for physique shows and photo shoots. In addition, a peaked physique is a severely dehydrated physique, posing health risks.

Classification Female Male
Competition Condition 6-12% 3-7%
Athletic 12-18% 8-13%
Normal 19-24% 14-14%
Borderline 25-31% 18-25%
Overweight 32% + 26% +

This conditioned look is not something that is usually preserved year around. Granted, many ladies will have a good athletic and lean look all year, but it is difficult and unwise to keep such a low degree of body fat year around.

Fitness competitors put a LOT of work into their physiques. They train all year for muscle size and density, and then diet for months on end to lower their body fat and to get cut. It’s difficult to keep such a low body fat and muscle detail all the time. It's really not a glamorous lifestyle, unless you like continual detailed diet and training. I've competed for 7 years, and it is an exhausting chore to get cut, much less stay that way year around. Low body fat wears on you, puts a strain on your immune system, and leads to metabolic downgrade.

This IS the reality of the fitness industry -- just watch what Ms Reno is going through -- her hubby Robert Kennedy said on last week's show that he STRIPS HER DOWN and PHOTOGRAPHS her every single day to show her where her flaws are and where she has to improve to be competitive. Every. Single. Day. She does a whole bunch of photo shoots and the photos are released over a long period of time. The photos are published in magazines, and we all think this is how she looks all the time. And we strive to emulate it! Crazy!!! Our ideal is to be unhealthy?? I can do THAT at 244lbs..

So, IF this is your goal, more power to you. But I find it sad that this "ideal" is such an extreme and is unattainable by the average person with kids and a job outside of the fitness industry, and is idolized (dictated?) by those who can only draw their fantasies (and we strive to fulfil it!). And that most, if not all, of these ladies who work so HARD in the industry and put their health at risk do so in order to look like cartoon characters.

And it is no different than working hard to attain the other extreme--wanting to look like a runway model whose BMI is 17. What have we ALL said about the "herion chic" Calvin Klein models of the 90s? And what would we say to someone on this forum who says "I want to look JUST like Calista Flockhart when she was at her tiniest"? The fashion industry is trying to address the reliance on this extreme but with little effect and to the great protests and outrage of fashion designers. So to me, the pursuit of the fitness model extreme is no different. Both ideals are unhealthy extremes that are held up by their industries as a goal for women to pursue.

JMHO

Kira

Can I ask if you have ever been in a fitness competition or do you know friends that enter fitness competitions? Do you eat very healthy and lift heavy weights (ie. with an Olympic bar) 4-5x per week?

I suspect the answer is no because the things you are saying are not the reality of the fitness lifestyle.

I know of many women with well-defined abs at 15+% bodyfat and trust me, they all have jobs and kids too. Myself included. You can quote whatever random things you want to support your argument, but you forgot all the parts where women do this because they ENJOY fitness and eating very healthy.

kiramira
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't have an issue with people living a healthy lifestyle. I believe I made that point, but I will say it again:

My point is this: we can all be fit. We can all eat healthily, we can all live a life, we can all aspire to be as fit as we can be.

I think we are comparing apples and oranges. At 15% body fat, you are at an athletic body fat percentage, not at a competition body fat level. Which is great. Your healthy body fat and lifestyle is working for you. You are clearly a proponent of a healthy lifestyle. As am I.

What I AM saying is that to idealize a body type which exists for only a matter of moments is just, well, plain old wrong. And sad. IMHO. And that the physical appearance of the fitness industry model in the magazines is cartoonish and not obtainable without becoming unhealthy (I'll take Ms Session's word for it. And Tosca Reno's, too). And usually through surgery. That's all. And we would say the same thing about those striving for the ideal at the other end of the spectrum.

Kira

ps -- YES, one of my best friends was the winner of our provincial Ms Fitness/Figure competitions a few years ago. She said when she looked her BEST, she was actually at her WEAKEST because of her egg white/chicken breast diet and severe dehydration...but the mags still took lots of photos for their future publication because they knew and she knew that the way she looked would last all of a few days...

Shannon in ATL
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
My body fat is somewhere around 18% right now, when I took the pictures that are in the link off my signature it was at 20% I believe. I'm healthy, I eat mostly healthy but nowhere near clean, I currently have muscle definition in my arms and legs and can see ab definition. And could see it at 20%. No, they aren't the tight six pack abs of some of these women pictured, but I can definitely see the definition without the 10% body fat. Yes, I lost all of my last several pounds of weight in my boobs and bought myself new ones, but I wasn't lifting weights at the time like a crazy person or aspiring to a fitness model body. I was just losing the last few pounds. I didn't add in the strength training until after I reached goal and had already lost the boobies - at greater than 20% body fat, probably closer to 23% and they were already gone. I'll never target 10% body fat, but will continue to work on my abs and maintain my current level of muscle tone. I enjoy the fitness and the healthy eating.

I know people who compete in fitness competitions and they don't live the starved, unhealthy lifestyle that you are describing Kira. And, I don't know that most women in this thread, or the ones that post in our weight and resistance training forum, are aspiring to be the super cut, over the top fitness model look like you are using in your examples. You use a lot of absolutes in your posts in trying to hammer home your point. Well, yours isn't the only valid point of view. Sacha, Tomato, NakedMango & LandonsBaby aren't espousing a dangerous, unhealthy lifestyle. Your posts read to me like one can't work towards a fit, muscular appearing body without aspiring to the unhealthy lifestyle you describe. That is patently untrue and unfair to say to women who are reading this post and considering weight lifting. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the women pictured in this thread aren't at 10% body fat, either.

sacha
06-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I suggest this thread as an insight into the misconceptions that people may have about this lifestyle:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117149511

Tomato
06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Well said, Shannon.

kiramira
06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Sigh..

AGAIN:
My point is this: we can all be fit. We can all eat healthily, we can all live a life, we can all aspire to be as fit as we can be.

Clearly, we can all have our own opinions! And you can emulate whomever you choose. I'm not criticizing anyone nor their posts. So just to say this AGAIN: I am NOT talking about the fitness lifestyle. I never was. I am talking about the EXTREME being taken as the ideal.

I guess I just think too much. I still think it is sad to idealize an extreme, no matter what end of the spectrum. This is more of a philosophical point. I find it hard that we as women are so hard on ourselves because they don't meet what they see as the standard of "ideal". And this ideal is not. realistic.

Train however you want. Believe whatever you want. If you SERIOUSLY think that the fitness models in the magazine photos are healthy, well, that's your choice. If you SERIOUSLY believe that the fitness competitors who place in the Ms Fitness/ Ms Olympia Figure competitions got there with a healthy, balanced diet and without ANY extremes dietary-wise, then that's your choice. If you want to look like one of them, that's your choice. If you seriously, seriously want to compete and want to compete seriously and be in the running, belly on up to your chicken breasts and egg whites and dehydrate yourself FOR THE SAKE OF MEETING THE COMPETITION IDEAL. I know! Not everyone does this!!! This is the extreme. I get it.

BUT, there are VALID reasons for discussing the extreme and the idealization of the extreme and when the extreme becomes the "societal norm" of what beauty or physical "perfection" looks like. Which is what I was discussing. The extreme. Not the individual who goes out and exercises or lifts weights or is at a great body fat level. THE. EXTREME. And what it does to us, and our young daughters, and nieces, and sisters, and the little girl across the street, who think that because this is what they SEE at the grocery store checkout every freaking day, this is what they need to be. That this is what the perfect body is. That they really want to have DDs and a 22 inch waist and 10% body fat. Thinking-wise. With the magazine covers and fitness columns and the competition stats and the "10 new ways to define your calf muscle" and "lose 10 pounds in 10 days" and "blast away the fat for the summer". I'm NOT talking about the Gillians and Bobs of the world.

Honestly...

And I doubt I'd be facing such "resistance" if the extreme we were discussing were the 5'10" 108 lb runway models, or the poor Brazilian model who died of a heart attack a while back who weighed in at 88 lbs. And those who want to look just like them. And the role-models that these ultra-thin fashion models have become, with THEIR magazine covers, and articles, and high-fashion photo shoots that you ALSO see at the checkout counter every freaking day...

Sigh...

Kira

sacha
06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Nobody here is advocating an extreme. The "muscular" women that were originally discussed were Linda Hamilton, Hilary Swank, or Jessica Biel. Those are achievable figures through a heavy weight lifting regime and "clean" (I don't care for that term) diet. Nobody here said they want to look like Jamie Eason while on stage. Nobody who is actually into that lifestyle thinks they can look like Jamie Eason on stage or dehydrates themselves for more than 2 days once a year. They KNOW that.

There are people who are ignorant or having eating disorders in every "lifestyle", whether it be fitness, South Beach, Weight Watchers, whatever.

sacha
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Sigh..
And I doubt I'd be facing such "resistance" if the extreme we were discussing were the 5'10" 108 lb runway models, or the poor Brazilian model who died of a heart attack a while back who weighed in at 88 lbs. And those who want to look just like them. And the role-models that these ultra-thin fashion models have become, with THEIR magazine covers, and articles, and high-fashion photo shoots...

Sigh...

Kira

Seriously?

For someone who complains about extremes, you seem to really perpetuate them. I can't believe you are comparing a fitness model cover shoot to an anorexic teen model at 88lbs.