Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Anyone ever do a pantry challenge?

Thinfor5Minutes
06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
My pantry, fridge and freezer are packed to the gills. I think starting Monday I am going to do a "clean out the pantry" challenge. I'll only buy fresh foods that I absolutely need. I'll see if I can do it for $25 a week for a month. The only other rule will be that all meals have to be low fat, healthy and diet friendly.

saef
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
You know, I think I ought to join you in that challenge. I'm in the process of buying an apartment, and I'm likely to be moving sometime in July. Cleaning out my pantry & my freezer would really help me with my packing efforts. Even though I'm only moving about five miles away if the deal does go through -- which is hardly enough time for anything frozen to melt -- the less that I have to put into boxes & then take out of boxes, the better.

mayness
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd love to join you on this challenge!

We're moving on August 1 and I've really just started planning for it. My first priority is my freezer - I have sooo much meat that I'd rather not have to move to the new place, so I have decided I am NOT buying any more meat until August. I'll definitely try to use up lots of non-perishables, too.. the less we have to move, the better!

I sort of started this with my shopping trip yesterday, although there were a few too-good-to-pass-up sale items I bought. Next week I'm getting serious!

MandiK
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I've been doing one for the last two weeks! It's been going great. I have been coming up with meal ideas by going through the freezer and pantry. I only planned on doing one week, but I'm into week two now and we still have plenty of stuff.
It's surprising how many meals I had around the house, without going shopping. I have still bought fresh produce, milk, and bread, and the occasional ingredient that was missing to make a meal, but my grocery budget for the last two weeks has been less than half of what I would normally spend in one week.

Kootch
06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Man, did I ever read the title of this thread wrong. Takes a whole different meaning knowing the word is PANTRY - and that's what we're talking about cleaning out... ;)

saef
06-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I take it that you were you hoping for a panty challenge? ;)

This challenge means I'll be eating a lot of chicken leg quarters, which I can't seem to resist buying in family packs when they're on sale. I've been meaning to try a recipe in which you boil down carrot juice to reduce it, pour it over the chicken & bake it. (I also bought two cans of marked-down carrot juice at some point.) That's two ingredients in one meal.

How do we do this? Should we post each meal as it is prepared & consumed & list what we managed to use up? I will also be confessing to anything I bought rather than took from the pantry or freezer. As others have noted, it's likely to be fresh produce.

Bobbolink
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I would love to do a pantry challenge, but I need to be kept accountable. How is the challenge going to work?
How do we do this? Should we post each meal as it is prepared & consumed & list what we managed to use up? I will also be confessing to anything I bought rather than took from the pantry or freezer. As others have noted, it's likely to be fresh produce.
I would love to join, please post the rules of the challenge.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-17-2009, 01:16 PM

This challenge means I'll be eating a lot of chicken leg quarters, which I can't seem to resist buying in family packs when they're on sale. I've been meaning to try a recipe in which you boil down carrot juice to reduce it, pour it over the chicken & bake it. (I also bought two cans of marked-down carrot juice at some point.) That's two ingredients in one meal.

Sounds like a plan!:chef:

Thinfor5Minutes
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I will be posting what I used up, the name of the recipe I used it for, and what I had to buy in order to make the meal complete. I will also list anything else I had to buy to make my hubby happy (for instance, he eats bananas and raisins as if they were going out of style). My personal budget will be $25 per week for perishables and things I need to complete meals. Also, the meals have to fit into my eating plan (which for me means low fat and as healthy as possible).

mayness
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
So, how has everyone been doing?

I've used up a bunch of stuff already. Here are a few particularly pantry-challenge-friendly meals I've made:

One night we had turkey kielbasa, quinoa, and Balsamic Chard (http://www.recipezaar.com/Balsamic-Chard-42710) which used up a can of tomatoes and some chard that was in my 'fridge for a week. It's a good thing that stuff is so hardy, I had forgotten it was there!

Another night we had spaghetti and meatballs... which means I used half a box of whole-wheat spaghetti (I have SO much pasta in the cupboard), half of a huge jar of pasta sauce, and some pre-cooked frozen turkey meatballs. I also made garlic bread (which isn't terribly healthy and didn't use anything up other than a little butter and garlic powder, but I had a craving!).

For brunch this morning I made my favorite quiche recipe (http://www.recipezaar.com/-31342) (which isn't TOO unhealthy if you leave out the oil altogether - you don't need it) to use up some low-fat cheddar cheese, eggs (I have far too many eggs), bacon, asparagus, bisquick, and skim milk (I always buy too much milk).

Tomorrow I'll go to the store and the farmer's market for fresh stuff... I'll report back about whether I avoided buying meat or canned goods. :)

Stella
06-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I`ll do that too! I`d try to do so all the time, actually, and then hubby goes shopping... :-)

Bobbolink
06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I've been using up last summer's frozen veggies. In the last week I used up two large packages of shredded zucchini, 24 oz. carrot soup, two containers of rhubarb strawberry sauce, loaf of low calorie bread. One night we had French toast and bacon, I used regular bread for DH meal and I used the 1/2 calorie bread for mine. I don't know how you all feel about cardboard turkey bacon but it's better than nothing. (I freeze it in 4 pack strips.) I used up one 8 oz. container frozen apple juice and some of the wheat germ I've had for quite some time in granola for DH. I used the next to last package of frozen beets, it sure is looking empty in the upstairs freezer. We have all our meat in the basement freezer, my DH is a hunter and we always have lots of big game meat. Right now we have a bull elk in there, yum! I have a couple of large packages of hash browns in there, anyone have a good low calories way of preparing them. I hate wasting my calories on them and there's only the two of us to eat it. The hash browns have been there awhile.
You all have a great day and keep reducing those cupboards and freezers! :wave:

saef
06-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Today, I cooked up four of those chicken leg quarters that I'd frozen at some point in the past. (Note to self: Date packages with a marker when you freeze things.) I made chicken, carrots & cabbage, and used up some of the boxed low-sodium chicken broth that I bought last fall.

Also made healthy muffins (oats, whole wheat flour, ground flax seed, mashed banana, applesauce, sweetened with Torani sugarfree syrup) & embedded some trail mix in them. I'd bought Trader Joe's dried fruit trail mix because my mother wanted the traditional greasy banana chips in it & picked them all out. So I had the picked-through mix lying around. The stuff is dangerous for me. I do better if it's baked into something, rather than being left alone with a bag & the potential for handful after handful.

I also made ratatouille, using up some frozen red & green pepper strips. (No need for those, now that peppers are in season & more affordable.) And some zucchini that I'd bought last week & that had gotten a bit wrinkly. I had to buy eggplant.

On Friday, I used up a bag of dried lentils that had been sitting there with a rubber band around it & also some rhubarb that a coworker gave me in a lentil soup recipe that I found on the Web.

For groceries this weekend, I have not bought any meat at all. I am going into the freezer for any meat I need for the next few weeks, except for fish, which I prefer to eat fresh. (Or what passes for fresh from the chain grocery store.)

mayness
06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Yesterday I was feeling creative :devil: so I made a ground pork curry thing... I used up 1/2 lb ground pork (I had frozen), 1/2 cup TVP, 1/2 a bag frozen mixed vegetables, 1 can diced tomatoes, 2 blue potatoes... seasonings were things I always having laying around: soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Served over brown rice I had pre-cooked and frozen (I cook the rice, rinse with cold water, and freeze in a thin flat layer in a 1 gal freezer bag.. then I can break off however much I want to microwave and it's ready to use).

I also did my grocery shopping - bought only fresh fruits and veggies and one package of mozzarella cheese (and laundry detergent and shampoo). Didn't even need milk or eggs or bread or anything yet. That was an easy week. :)

Bobbolink
06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Good Morning!
I used up the old frozen hash browns yesterday on our guests. I only ate at little bit of it since it wasn't calories friendly. We had DD, SIL and one grandson over for grilling and Father's day. The hashbrowns were mixed with onions, smoked cheese, cr. of chicken soup (98% fat free) and fat free sour cream.
Saef...I make homemade granola for DH and I have to keep the container hid in the cupboard, otherwise I'd be nibbling on it every time I walked by. That's funny about your mom picking out all the banana chips!:T
The stuff is dangerous for me. I do better if it's baked into something, rather than being left alone with a bag & the potential for handful after handful.
Mayness...I have been making large batches of rice and freezing it for years but I never realized you could run it under cold water first before you freeze it. What a great idea, then it won't be gluey right? Do you pat the water off with a paper towel, let it drain off in a colandar?
I pulled out a four cup package of frozen apples from our last falls apple crop, thank goodness I don't have many left. I used the majority of apples in sugarless applesauce that I make into fruit roll-ups for the grandkids. (I mix different flavors of Kool-ade in them)
I'll have to work on the canned goods and dried beans. I'd rather use canned beans than dried, it such a pain in the butt to cook them when I'm in a hurry. I only buy them in case of an emergency which never comes. Can dried beans get toooooooooo old?
Have a good one!

Thinfor5Minutes
06-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I was going to try to hold my food expenditures down to $25 ... when I look at the list of things I need, I am not sure I will make it. I'll do my best. My husband is a vegetarian and eats cereal every day for breakfast, which means soy milk. We'd been getting it for $1 a carton at Dollar Tree, but the last week they haven't had it, so I will probably have to break down and buy Silk or Eighth Continent in the dairy case at the market for $3 a half gallon. (Or more). He uses a lot of soy milk! CVS and Rite Aid have Post Shredded Wheat and Kashi cereals on sale this week, so I will attempt to get them before they are all out. And then there's the list of produce. We eat a lot of fresh produce. I've already spent $3 for two pints of fresh blueberries, so that would mean I have to get everything for $21.
Anyway, tonight I plan to make a vegetable medley out of veggies I already have in the fridge, including mushrooms, zucchini and summer squash, and an onion. I'll serve that over brown rice, and will give hubby a veggie burger and some bread too. I still have onions, some broccoli, a green pepper, and possibly some other items in my fridge. I know I have some organic baby spinach I have been working on - I have had a spinach salad for my work lunches for a week now, and I put some in my breakfast omelets. I have run out of eggbeaters. <sigh> This is not going to be quite as easy as I'd thought.
I made my husband's lunches for a few days...kidney bean and brown rice salad, which he supplements with Kashi bars and fresh fruit. He eats bananas as if they were going out of style. Yes, he's very healthy!
I'm going shopping tonight and will post tomorrow on how I do.

mayness
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Mayness...I have been making large batches of rice and freezing it for years but I never realized you could run it under cold water first before you freeze it. What a great idea, then it won't be gluey right? Do you pat the water off with a paper towel, let it drain off in a colandar?

Yeah, it really helps keep it from getting mushy/sticky. I do it in a colander so the water can drain off. I can't remember where I read that idea, but now I do it every time!

I know the last thing I should do is suggest that you put MORE stuff in your freezer :devil: but you could cook some dried beans and freeze them for quick and easy use later. At least then you're more likely to use them up, right? :) I never plan ahead enough to cook dried beans for specific recipes, but I usually have a couple varieties cooked up and waiting in the freezer.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, I did miserably with my shopping. The soy milk alone was $9 for three cartons. I bought cereal that was on sale, rice that was on sale, and a lot of produce. I spent <gasp!> $100 when I was only going to spend $25. I wonder if I can make this food last two weeks.

Bobbolink
06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I made some rice yesterday and ran cold water over it, WOW! What a difference that makes. I'm going to use that method every time I make it, I'll just zap it hot again when we're using it for a meal.
The 4 cups of frozen apples I thawed out yesterday was made into a pie as requested by DH. I actually thawed out another 4 cup package so the pie would be heaping with apples. If you don't eat the crust, it's pretty calorie friendly. So now I'm down to 2 packages of apples.
I'm making a chicken greek salad for tonight using up some frozen chicken breast and some homemade Greek dressing.
I stopped buying soy milk a few months ago because it's gotten so expensive. Unlike most of you, we're retired and living on social security so we shop smartly. We've used dry powdered skim milk for years and years and love it. But then I always put vanilla and a tad shake of Stevia in it to make it taste good. That's a huge savings right there if you can get your kids/hubby to drink it.
Have a good one!
The soy milk alone was $9 for three cartons.

saef
06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I admire you for attempting to budget while doing this challenge, Thinfor5, but for me, I'm going to confine myself to the idea of using it up, rather than reducing my spending on food. I know myself well, and one reason I've probably not used up certain things is because the dish they'd be used to make is time-consuming or requires an ingredient that I don't usually have on hand, perhaps because it is a little expensive.

Yesterday, I used up the last of a plastic sleeve of FiberOne cereal. I don't usually have milk in the house, so I'd been using it gradually, as a topping or a mix-in for yogurt. Which tells me that I need to buy less FiberOne. It's really weird how this cereal is contained in two long cylindrical sleeves. I had the second one all balled up in my cabinet with a rubber band around it, which made it look less appetizing than the orange box did.

Okay, so you all have ruined my excuse for buying Trader Joe's frozen brown rice. Now I'll have to start freezing brown rice -- an excellent idea that will help me use up all the dried bagged brown rice that I've bought & eye from time to time, then reject when I get home from work & the gym at 8 PM & want to eat promptly.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Hubby will not drink dairy milk...he's a vegetarian and tries to use as little dairy in his diet as he can.

Many of us need to cut back our expenses in this economy...since I have food coming out the yingyang I have to discipline myself at the market to avoid buying those yummy looking fruits and veggies that look so tempting under the nice bright lights.

tommy
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Have you looked at making your own soy milk if you use lots? I see Chinese ladies buying mass quantities from the bulk bin at Whole Foods, and I have seen makers on line for pretty cheap.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
A soymilk maker might be just the thing down the road a-ways after we have redone our kitchen. Presently there is just no place to keep one...my husband would have a conniption if I were to bring one more appliance into the house, LOL!

Bobbolink
06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I pulled out a frozen loaf of french bread yesterday, we ate 1/2 of it last night and we'll finish it off tonight with some grilled turkey tenderloins. We have lots of garden lettuce, radishes, etc. coming now in the garden so I probably won't get many canned vegetables used up. My main concern is getting last years garden vegies use up.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I used up a bag of frozen last year's tomatoes and a bag of frozen chopped sweet peppers, various canned goods including three cans of beans, and a box of barley in the making of the chili. I also threw in some TVP because I ran short on the barley, and the TVP soaked up some of the excess juice. Good stuff, and it made enough for at least two more meals.

mayness
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I made potato soup (http://www.recipezaar.com/Paneras-Cream-Cheese-Potato-Soup-150863), which used up some low-fat cream cheese approaching its expiration date, and the last of the homemade chicken stock I had in the freezer. (Un)fortunately I have a whole bag of frozen chicken scraps waiting to make more. I also added about half a bag of frozen corn.

Tonight I'm cooking a huge batch of taco filling (ground beef and black beans from my freezer, and TVP and taco seasoning, maybe a small can of tomato sauce for the sake of using it) and we'll have some tonight (either as actual tacos or a salad) and save the rest.

Bobbolink
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
We're having elk roast in the crock pot tonight. I froze a zillion garlic cloves from last years garden crop, I used a bunch of those up on top of the roast. I also thawed out an 8 oz. container of strawberry/rhubarb sauce to put over fresh strawberries. I used sugar free jello with the rhubarb so it's really low calore. We'll eat the last package of beets too!

Realist
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

This seems like a great exercise. However, I am not really very kitchen savvy. My DH cooks most of the time, but I am VERY intrigued by the idea of so much freezing. For example, how do you freeze garlic? Do you do something fancy with it? And dried beans....you cook them and just put them into individual servings? That sounds like a great idea. Strawberry/rhubarb sauce...how do you make it? How do you freeze tomatos? Does anyone know where to buy brown rice in bulk? We go through a lot of brown rice!

Seriously, I know this wasn't the point of this challenge, but pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Angie

Thinfor5Minutes
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
To freeze tomatoes..."blanch" them by dropping them in boiling water. The skins will split; run cold water over the blanched tomatoes and remove the split skins. Then drain well, pack in ziploc freezer bags, label, and push as much air out of them before sealing. I got another bag out of the freezer this morning, which I plan to use in a fresh vegetable and pasta dish, which will use up a zucchini, green pepper, and yellow summer squash. I have a partial package of baby portobellos to use up too, so I may toss those in for good measure. Realist, I'd get myself a good basic cookbook and read it cover to cover. I used to have "The Complete Step by Step Cookbook," which gave loads of good information, but may be out of print, since I got it back in the 1980s.

saef
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I try to eat fish or some form of seafood on Fridays. Rather than buying fresh fish today, I'm going to try a variant on a Mark Bittman recipe, with chickpeas, tuna and roasted red peppers, some chopped Vidalia & some other stuff. That will get some cans out of my pantry.

Turns out that I have a lot of ground beef in the freezer. I'm trying to think of what to make with it that would be good during the humid weather we're supposed to have. Chili doesn't appeal as much as it ought to.

Bobbolink
06-26-2009, 03:58 PM
For garlic, I shake off the dirt and throw all the garlic into a plastic container with a screw on lid. When I use it, I take out as many as needed and clean off the skins, chop, saute or whatever.
Tomatoes are the easiest, I don't blanch mine. I wash them, pop off the stem and freeze them whole in freezer zip lock bags. Then I can take as many individual tomatoes out as needed and the skin peels off very easy. If I want the goodness of the skins, I blend everything up in a blender. You can pop whole frozen tomatoes into soup, the skins usually comes to the top so you can remove it. Strawberry/Rhubarb sauce is cooked rhubarb sweetened with stevia and add a package of strawberry jello while cooking. I use the sugar free kind, you can also put in a package of strawberry kool-aid. Brown rice, do you have a local food co-op? That's a good place to start looking.
As far as sharing recipe and cooking ideas, I'm glad to do it. I've been around the block a few times more than you all, but I'm never too old to learn new tricks. That trick with running cold water over the rice is wonderful.
For example, how do you freeze garlic? Do you do something fancy with it? And dried beans....you cook them and just put them into individual servings? That sounds like a great idea. Strawberry/rhubarb sauce...how do you make it? How do you freeze tomatos? Does anyone know where to buy brown rice in bulk? We go through a lot of brown rice!

Realist
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks so much Bobbi!!!

mayness
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
A few more things I've cooked:

Lasagna rolls... used up some frozen mild italian sausage, half a jar of pasta sauce, ricotta cheese that was sitting in my refrigerator (unopened) for a month or so, and half a box of lasagna noodles. I did have to buy the mozzarella, but I already had all the seasonings and parmesan cheese. I always make lasagna rolls instead of a "real" lasagna, because they're easier to cut/serve, and don't really take any longer to make.

A ham/egg strata... used up some of the stale hot dog rolls from the bakery that I had frozen (that's right, I'm too cheap to even part with STALE bread, lol), eggs (why did I buy so many eggs?!?), and ham that was frozen. Other than that, all I used was half an onion, milk, cheddar cheese, and salt/pepper/parsley. Would be a yummy breakfast for a special occasion (it's not terribly healthy) but we ate it for dinner.

While the strata was cooking, I also roasted some chicken leg quarters, so that I'll have pre-cooked chicken meat for other meals this week. I was proud of myself for conserving energy by only using the oven once for two things! I don't usually plan ahead that well. :D

I have yet to decide on dinner tonight, but it will probably use some of that cooked chicken. Tomorrow I'm making chicken stock in the crock pot (http://www.recipezaar.com/Crock-Pot-Chicken-or-Turkey-Stock-55282) from the big bag of chicken bones and scraps, carrot peelings, onion ends/skins and other veggie scraps in my freezer. From now until we move, I'll probably just throw out my scraps, if I can stand doing it.

Bobbolink
06-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Howdy!
I didn't use anything old or frozen over the week-end. The Elk roast I made last week was huge and we're only two people so we get 3 or 4 meals out of it. We'll use the last of it tonight. I just wanted to comment on homemade chicken stock, I always throw the bones, scrap veggies and all the skin in when I make it. The fat gives it a lot more flavor and after refrigerating the cooked broth overnight, the fat rises to the top and gets hard for easy removal. If you take a paper towel and lay it on top of the jelled broth after removing all the hardened chicken fat, you can get the last traces of fat off. I'd say you end up with 99.9% fat free broth.

I have yet to decide on dinner tonight, but it will probably use some of that cooked chicken. Tomorrow I'm making chicken stock in the crock pot (http://www.recipezaar.com/Crock-Pot-Chicken-or-Turkey-Stock-55282) from the big bag of chicken bones and scraps, carrot peelings, onion ends/skins and other veggie scraps in my freezer.

mayness
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Oooh, that paper towel trick sounds great, I'll definitely do that this time. I just started making my own stock so I've only done it twice before, and both times I ended up with little bits of fat left on top, and I had to decide whether I'd rather try to scoop it off (and probably lose some stock with it) or leave it.

saef
06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I ended up using that frozen hamburger (from 2006, so I'll check my pulse after eating it tonight) as a taco filling, which I'll have on a taco salad tonight. No shell, of course.

I also made gazpacho, which helped use up a small can of V8 juice that I had lying around from another recipe. (I got a marked-down tomatoes & cukes package at grocery store that had to be used immediately as the tomatoes were softening.)

Bobbolink
06-30-2009, 11:14 PM
We live out in the country on an acreage and have 6 Sweet Orpington laying hens so every once in awhile we have eggs and bacon for supper. That's what we had tonight, thick pepper bacon for DH and I had lean turkey bacon. That's like eating cardboard but it taste bacony. When I buy pepper bacon for hubby, I opened it up, divide it up into 3 strip packs and freeze it. So I used up some frozen bacon and some bread out of the freezer. I still need to work on last summers odd items like frozen grape juice (we have 4 different grape vines)apple juice, I saw an old package of French Fries in there. I don't remember buying them, they are probably full of ice crystals. Maybe I'll open them up tomorrow and see if there're edible.
Have a good night :wave:

Bobbolink
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't believe we still had leftover elk roast, we've had 3 or 4 meals out of it already. Today I used the last of it in homemade vegetable/Elk soup. That made enough for tonight and tomorrow. I'm getting tired of it! I used some frozen red and green peppers from last summers garden and also found some frozen yellow string beans from 2007. I was going to throw them out but they were sealed in a vacumn pack. (I have a Food Saver). I thawed them out and tasted them, perfect! So I added them to the soup and used some dehydrated garden tomatoes that I put up a couple of years ago. Tomatoes keep for years once you dry them.
So I'm proud that I used up 3 old items.

mayness
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Today's meal was not very weight-loss friendly... but it used SO MUCH that I want to share it anyway. :) Hubby and I are lifelong Northerners so it's fun to have "Southern food night" once in a while.

I made Ham & Beans (http://www.recipezaar.com/Ham-N-Beans-95587) which used about half of my latest batch of chicken stock, a pound of dried beans (I used pinto), almost 1.5 pounds of frozen ham (WAY more than the recipe calls for but I NEED to use this stuff!) and I added some chopped kale stems and half a bell pepper. It's not terribly unhealthy, it's just... a lot of ham.

To go with that, I made a cornbread casserole (http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamed-Corn-Casserole-87482). I used lowfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream. I had planned to make this a while ago but didn't get around to it, so I had the cornbread mix and cans of corn sitting in the cupboard. Glad they're finally gone. And, of course, I used more eggs! :D

Bobbolink
07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
The only foods I cleaned out today was 1/2 bag of frozen Soy Edamame that I purchased. Yuk! I was told they were delicious eaten raw. I'm thawing them out in the frig today and DH will feed them to the chickens in the morning.
What's everyone else been using up?

saef
07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
My silence on this thread does not mean that eating hamburger purchased & frozen in 2006 prostrated me. It means that I was eating the same thing several nights in a row. Us single ladies do that sometimes. (Well, a lot.) The hamburger was kind of dry but all the seasonings helped.

Now I'm thawing some of those chicken leg quarters that I can't seem to stop buying. Finally, I'm getting around to the carrot juice recipe. I'll have to check it again but basically I'm boiling it down into a reduction sauce, more or less.

I'm also going to make a quinoa & black bean salad, as the warm weather's here & these cold salads make great lunches. I tend to stare at unopened boxes of quinoa because of the rinsing thing. Which is a pain. I have acquired a very fine-mesh sieve, though, and that may help me here.

Meat still to be eaten in my freezer: More hamburger, turkey andouille sausage, lots of shrimp, a couple Boca black bean burgers, more chicken, fish broth, hummus, edamame (Bobbi's experience makes me wonder -- but I get it at the salad bar at our office cafeteria & it's good), and more -- that's just the first layer toward the front of the top shelf. This challenge has been very good for my freezer. I can see the back wall for a change.

Bobbolink
07-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Used up one 8 oz. package frozen Strawberry Rhubarb sauce from 2008.

Bobbolink
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Happy 4th of July!
:celebrate::celebrate::celebrate::celebrate:

Bobbolink
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Good Morning!
I was a good girl over the 4th, had two bites of the bottom of a cinnamon roll. I dropped a couple of pounds too. Two days ago I found a new meat marinade using fresh garden herbs among other things. We marinaded some Elk steaks in it and had them last night, oh so flavorful. I finally got around to using up 1/2 bag of those frozen french fries for DH. They were full of ice crystals but I baked them anyway and DH said they were delicious. I ate one only and the ice crystals on them didn't affect the taste or texture at all. WOW, You should see my freezer, it's really getting bare, how about the rest of you? Pantry, old beans, freezer?

saef
07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Yes, Bobbi, my freezer is definitely getting roomy. I'm fighting my instinct, which is to fill it back up again.

No closing date set yet, which is annoying. The bank is still clearing my file, they told me when I called yesterday. I don't want to start buying & freezing till this fridge is empty & till I am moved into my new apartment.

I made the chicken in a reduction of carrot sauce, and this turned out quite well. I'll be eating that for several nights.

I'm thinking of using the edamame in a bean salad. (I have two frozen packages.) Maybe a healthy, three-bean salad, which would help me use up some cans of cannellinis or chickpeas or kidney beans.

mayness
07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I made a chicken pot pie last night (I know, all my impressive pantry-clearing meals lately are not so healthy) using 1 can each of reduced-fat cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, leftover roasted chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and refrigerated biscuits rolled out for the shell (why did I even BUY biscuits?!?).

I bought 3 summer squash at the farmer's market this weekend (for 50 cents each!) that I'd like to find some new ways to use. That's my goal for today - find ways to use them that use up other things in the cupboard or freezer. :) My freezer is getting low on veggies, rice, etc. but I still have SO MUCH meat. Ugh. I don't think I can use it all before the end of the month, but I guess we'll see.

Bobbolink
07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm fighting my instinct, which is to fill it back up again.
I fight that same instinct, especially when things are on sale. I used our last bag of frozen garden beans (yellow string beans) a couple of days ago on 2 Bean salad. I use the yellow beans and black beans, lots of celery, some frozen red peppers, onions, etc. then forgot about it. Yesterday afternoon when I was pawing thru the frig, I found the salad in the back. Sometimes that's the best thing to do with salads that need to marinate/blend, forget about it for a couple of day. It was soooooooo delicious, I put it into Fitday so I know how many calories were in a 4 oz. serving. 111 but it's higher because of the two Tablespoons of canola oil in it. I cut that back, the recipe called for 1/4 cup of oil and we didn't miss that extra oil. DH wants chicken/vegetable stir fry tonight so I'll not be using any old stuff. This morning I baked a 'no knead' bread recipe, it cost 90 cents to made and it's really good. If anyone is interested, I'll post the recipe.
Sometimes a recipe calls for cr. of soups and I've tried getting around it with homemade cream soups. I also have a recipe for that, you store it in a jar. (all dry), When you want to use it, just mix with water. I'm not very impressed with it, that's something that's been in my pantry for a year or so. I might have to work on getting rid of it. Glad you mentioned the cr. of mush/chicken soup.
1 can each of reduced-fat cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, leftover roasted chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and refrigerated biscuits rolled out for the shell (why did I even BUY biscuits?!?)
Have a great day:wave:

ANOther
07-07-2009, 08:01 PM

Or maybe pastry?

Thinfor5Minutes
07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm also going to make a quinoa & black bean salad, as the warm weather's here & these cold salads make great lunches.

I collect loads of bean and grain recipes...my DH is a vegetarian and he likes them for his lunches. I do have a bag of frozen edamame - I use it sometimes in stir fries.

I know I have a package of quinoa to use up; I just have to ransack my pantry to find it. Last night I made tofu fried rice, using up some of my stockpiled brown rice, and some of every fresh vegetable I had in the fridge. I cut everything up the night before, and I still have some uncooked cut-up broccoli, red, yellow and green pepper, zucchini, and onion. I'm down to one garlic clove and will have to get some more. I also noticed my tamari is getting low.

Bobbolink
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I purchased some miso a couple of years for a recipe then forgot about it. Does that get old? I just looked at it, I've had it in a zip lock bag and it looks o.k. Any suggestion on using it up?
I used another package frozen rhubarb strawberry sauce today, that's about it.

I also noticed my tamari is getting low.

saef
07-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Googling around today, I hit upon a recipe that seems like a grand slam for freezer cleaning, at least where my freezer is concerned: It's for an edamame succotash with shrimp (I've got lots of frozen shrimp & I have some frozen corn to use up). It also requires some crumbled bacon, but I'll substitute turkey bacon. I always have too much of turkey bacon, too. I get it to use for flavoring in dishes, rather than to eat the bacon strips, which aren't that good. (I agree, Bobbi, about their cardboard texture.) I end up throwing most of the package away because I don't use it fast enough or think to freeze it. So that's four ingredients in one dish.

And the bank said they've cleared my file for closing. Good. Now the lawyers need to set a date. This will happen, eventually. And my freezer will be in much better shape by moving day because of this challenge. (I won't discuss my packing yet.)

Bobbolink
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Good Morning!
I'm using up the last package of frozen zucchini today, good thing because we will have fresh in a couple of days. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I used up some old peanuts I had in the freezer yesterday to put in DH granola, I don't eat it because it's not calorie friendly but I would love to, yum! I've been pigging out on garden lettuce every night and that sure helps fill me up before my entree.
saef, what's that short for, your name? I love shrimp but am allergic to it, :shrug: My favorite was shrimp coctails, I'm drooling just thinking about it. One disadvantage of living in the middle of America (Minnesota)is our lack of fresh sea foods. I envy all you that live on the coast, most of our fish are frozen.
Sooooooooo, did anyone have any ideas of using up the old Miso I have in the frig?
Have a good pantry/freezer cleaning day!

mayness
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Hmm, let's see... I threw together some chili, in an effort to use up A LOT of stuff... including cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans (frozen), overcooked kidney beans (frozen), ground pork (frozen), lentils, and TVP. I liked how it turned out, but I guess I used too much tomato, and it was too acidic for my husband.

I had finally used up all the eggs when we had company last weekend, and my husband's coworker said he would give us some eggs from his own chickens. Well, hubby came home with 3 DOZEN eggs on Wednesday! :dizzy: So he proposed that we eat a lot of egg-based dishes and relax on cleaning out the pantry/freezer for now. We had omelettes last night (with sauteed onions and summer squash, ham, a little bit of cheese).

Bobbi, I wish I had advice on the miso, but I've NEVER cooked with it. I usually use recipezaar to find recipes... here's a link to all recipes containing the ingredient "miso" sorted so that the highest rated ones are first. http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?foodid=1792&ls=h&Search=Search&s_type=%2Frecipes.php

saef
07-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Bobbi, oh dear, oh dear ... I have thought of a use for your miso, but your lament on the lack of seafood gives me pause. You do you have access to salmon, don't you? That seems pretty pervasive. The reason I'm asking is that I'd probably make miso-glazed salmon. Google "miso-glazed" & you'll see all the recipes for this. I'd add some o.j. & sesame oil & use Splenda instead of brown sugar. If not, chicken breasts might do as well. I have never tried miso-glazed elk. Speaking of regional differences -- I would venture that our per capita consumption of elk down here near Manhattan is definitely lower than yours. For any meal of game, I'd have to 1) pay exorbitant prices at certain restaurants & specialty grocers; or 2) drive a couple hours west to Pennsylvania & dine with my deerhunting cousins, who live just outside of Scranton.

The edamame succotash with corn, red bell pepper, onion, turkey bacon & shrimp was sinfully good. I piled it on top of some steamed kale (also from my freezer). I will get two dinners out of that dish, no question.

I have some more elderly ground beef to use up. I am going to try a ground beef & sauerkraut soup recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen. This package dates back to April 2008, so I'm definitely getting out of the deepest recesses of my fridge.

Good guess, Bobbi, "saef" are my initials. So vanilla, compared with some of the wonderful usernames here. I've thought of changing it to "Batwingsbegone," in honor of another poster here whose transformational effort I've found to be inspirational. But I think that's kind of showy, for me. ;-)

saef
07-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh, and Thinfor5Minutes, my plans for quinoa & black bean salad were foiled the other day. When I went into my box of Trader Joe's quinoa, I discovered pantry moths had gotten into it. Disgusting. I threw it away. What a waste of money. This led to an evening of pulling down boxes from my shelves & checking everything & discarding some things & then putting out moth traps. Shiver, shiver, shiver. Yuck.

ennay
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
bobbi - what kind of hashbrowns? My freezer coop uses frozen hashbrowns in soups instead of fresh potatoes quite often. They usually are just potatoes with a little bit of oil, its the frying them into hashbrowns that gets caloric. Shredded hashbrowns work great in blended soups to thicken them (add shredded potatoes and skim milk to a "cream soup" and skip the cream). Cubed hashbrowns work in soups that call for sliced or diced potatoes.

I've been back and forth on a pantry challenge for awhile. I am in a freezer coop, so I do get new freezer stuff every month. My challenge is to lower the inventory each month even though I still get this new stuff.

Bobbolink
07-13-2009, 10:58 AM
It was frozen french fries, not hash browns. Guess I typed it in wrong? I made them for DH a copule of nites ago, I had 1/2 of one to see if they tasted ok. They were full of ice crystals but it didn't harm them.. I used the last package of frozen zuchinni and now all my last years veggie are gone. Good thing because we now have fresh zuchinni. See ya all :wave:

mayness
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
We managed to give away over a dozen of the eggs to my MIL so I'm free to go back to my original pantry-cleaning plans. :)

When I needed to use up the eggs and those summer squash that I bought too many of, I found a perfect recipe: Italian Vegetable Custard (http://www.recipezaar.com/Italian-Vegetable-Custard-91800) (original source, with picture (http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/italian-vegetable-custard)). It was fantastic! I don't like olives and I didn't have fresh tomatoes, but I put some dried onion flakes in when I mixed the squash and egg, and topped it with (canned) mushrooms. I definitely want to try it again with the tomatoes. I used an Italian seasoning blend instead of the basil. I made one mistake... used garlic powder instead of garlic salt, and used the same amount, which made mine much more garlicky... but I really liked that, I'd do it the same next time.

Tried turkey bacon for the first time on Saturday, since I got a package of it for $1 on sale a while back and froze it. We weren't big fans of eating it plain, but agreed that it would make AWESOME BLTs, so I think that's gonna be dinner tonight. I just need to go buy lettuce.

saef
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Tonight, I'm going to reclaim some tupperware that's been in my freezer far too long. I'm heating up some chili that I froze earlier this spring.

I've made an inventory. I have skirt steak to use up, faux meat crumbles, turkey andouille sausage, shrimp, and Italian turkey sausage.

I think I feel something cajun coming on, though I'm not sure I have all the spices necessary.

I can thaw some skirt steak & marinate it in the same bag. That might be nice on the Foreman when it gets warm tomorrow.

Bobbolink
07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I made DH some more oatmeal granola and used up the last of the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds I had in the freezer. I found a quart of frozen tomato soup I made last summer from our tomatoes, I'm thawing that out for tomorrow. I'm so proud of myself for sticking to this pantry challenge and cleaning out old foods.
I think turkey bacon tastes like cardboard but it has a great flavor. I usually scramble it up in some egg whites + 1 whole egg, that's good. It's fantastic crumbled up and added to a fresh lettuce salad, yum.
Tried turkey bacon for the first time on Saturday, since I got a package of it for $1 on sale a while back and froze it. We weren't big fans of eating it plain, but agreed that it would make AWESOME BLTs, so I think that's gonna be dinner tonight.

saef
07-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Marinated steak on the Foreman tonight. It tasted great, but it was tough, despite sitting in the marinade for about 10 hours. I was chewing & chewing.

I've decided I'm going to take those faux sausage crumbles & make something Italian-inspired with them. I'm also going to use cannellini beans, roasted tomatoes, broccoli rabe, garlic & maybe some roasted red peppers. Maybe zucchini, too. This sounds like an excellent soup, but with the heat & humidity suddenly upon us again, I will probably eat it like a ragout or over some whole-wheat pasta.

Bobbolink
07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm still working on last years tomato soup, I thawed it out and forgot to eat it. :dizzy:
We had Salmon steak (wild caught frozen), they were on sale this past winter 10 for $10.00, great buy and 4 oz. each. I made potato salad for DH, I had a huge bowl of garden lettuce, sesame oil dressing and one crumbled strip of turkey bacon.

Bobbolink
07-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I made baked Enchiladas with a package of flour tortilla I found in the freezer plus Elk burger and an old can of enchilada sauce, cheese, etc.

saef
07-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I crumbled up a Gardenburger black bean burger over my salad for lunch today. I've always meant to try this. With salsa, some black beans & some avocado slices, this was a nice change in my salad repertoire.

Bobbolink
07-25-2009, 09:10 AM
My freezer is empty of last summers vegetables, thank goodness!
Our zucchini is ready and we had our 1st last night. I dipped slices in egg, Italian bread crumbs and tried to fry in Pam cooking spray. Didn't work, had to add some oil. This morning on allrecipe.com site I saw a recipe for dipping the zucchini in Italian dressing and grilling. I'm going to try that tonight. Have a great week-end everyone.

ladyinweighting
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
OK - looks like I finally found this challenge.

Time to clean out my freezer & have some strange meals.

I'll check back in after dinner.

Lynn

Bobbolink
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I made some pineapple corn muffins for the church pot luck and used an old can of pineapple, experation date was Dec. 2008. The top looked like it wanted to rust it was so old but pineapple looked like the day it was put in the can so I used it and nobody died!

ladyinweighting
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Began this challenge by figuring out what I have in my freezer - TONS of veggie burgers. Guess I'll have to figure out how to be creative with veggie burgers!

Lynn

mayness
07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
I haven't posted much lately, but I've still been participating!

Right now as we speak, my crock pot is making beef stew with some beef shoulder from the freezer, canned cream of mushroom soup, and veggies and seasoning.

I heated up some frozen cooked taco filling last night (ground turkey, TVP, onions, peppers, black beans, seasoning) to make tacos... that's also my lunch today and tomorrow.

I recently made lots of pulled pork with some freezer-burned pork tenderloins - just threw them in the crock pot with barbecue sauce, chicken stock (my crock pot runs hot and I didn't want them to dry out) and my "secret" ingredient - dry jerk spice mix. I froze what we didn't eat.

I made these "cookies" (http://www.recipezaar.com/Fsd-Oatmeal-Cookies-189329) to use up some oatmeal and over-ripe bananas. I used brown sugar instead of splenda (so my husband would eat them) and used whole eggs instead of whites (I tripled the recipe and used 2 whole eggs). They were really tasty -- I think they make a good breakfast cookie or a snack rather than a dessert, because they're not very sweet.

We move THIS SATURDAY! I'm feeling pretty good about how much I cleaned out of the freezer, and there's definitely less stuff on my shelves to move. We went grocery shopping last night and I managed to buy only $15 worth of stuff (milk, fruit, salad stuff), which will get us through the rest of the week.

Bobbolink
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
We move THIS SATURDAY! I'm feeling pretty good about how much I cleaned out of the freezer, and there's definitely less stuff on my shelves to move. We went grocery shopping last night and I managed to buy only $15 worth of stuff (milk, fruit, salad stuff), which will get us through the rest of the week.Good job on the $15.00 grocery bill, hubby had to like that!
I'm using up some dehydrated spiced tomatoes that I made a couple of years ago. They keep really well, I'm mixing it with some seasonings and fresh zuchinni from the garden. Then going to eat it tonight with left over spaghetti and elk meat balls from last night.

Bobbolink
07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
It's a good thing we have two large freezers since I keep many types of food in there. I found 3 bags of marshmellow, all opened and 1/3 to 1/2 full. I used up the colored mini marshmellows in some rice crispie bars for DD, threw in a handful of frozen peanuts. Did I eat one? Does a bear poop in the woods?:D I only ate one small piece!

thelish
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I know I'm kind of late in the game, but I want in :) Inspired by the group I am going to make homemade hummus tonight with a can on beans I found and make a dish (don't know what to call it) out of some leftover tomatoes, zucchini and okra.

Bobbolink
07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
I made some delicious low calorie zucchini muffins this morning using some frozen applesauce from last years crop. The recipe called for 1 cup whole wheat flour and I ran out so I dug out the oat flour I've had forever and used some of that. Also ate a bag of Green Giant frozen beans/potatoes/tarragon in sauce, something hubby purchased last year sometime.

ladyinweighting
08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm still working on my veggie burgers. I think I'm going to turn into one!

Hyacinth
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I never plan ahead enough to cook dried beans for specific recipes, but I usually have a couple varieties cooked up and waiting in the freezer.

Great tip! I read that on here a while ago and I started doing it too. I think dried beans taste fresher and have better texture, anyway.

Mayness, I make homemade stock, too. I don't eat a lot of meat, so sometimes it's just vegetable stock. I pour it into ice-cube trays and freeze, then transfer to a plastic container. I take out however many cubes I need for recipes that call for a few tablespoons of water, and I also cook rice in it. Good stuff!

I also thawed out an 8 oz. container of strawberry/rhubarb sauce to put over fresh strawberries. I used sugar free jello with the rhubarb so it's really low calore.

I like the rhubarb recipe! I have a ton and can never figure out how to use it without adding a ton of sugar to it.

Bobbolink, your farm/garden sounds awesome. It is a dream of mine someday to own five acres or so, mostly so I can have a big garden.

MISO - I've made miso gravy and miso pate before. Both are recipes that can be easily found by doing a google search, but if you have trouble finding one I can post.

Has anyone ever used supercook.com? You enter your ingredients and it searches recipes for you on the internet.

The things I plan to use up next are: frozen green beans, asparagus, and a box containing all the half-used bags of dried beans, lentils, polenta, panko, quinoa, etc.

Bobbolink
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Hyacinth... I haven't heard of this, I'll check it out today. (suppercook.com) and thanks for the tips. I love watching Hyacinth on the BBC channel but don't get to very often.. Cute picture you have of her too, she reminds me of my mother-in-law who has always looked down her nose at everyone while putting on a front of being so helpful and kind.Has anyone ever used supercook.com? You enter your ingredients and it searches recipes for you on the internet.

Ufi
08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi. I've got an offer in on a house, so I'm joining in! The idea of eating down my stores of food kind of freaks me out. I'm already thinking about how to stock back up again. But I'll want to do so with healthy food.

I'll check out supercook.com. That sounds like it could be really helpful. I want to spend as little as possible on new food so I don't have to move the food I have now and so I have more money to buy cool stuff for my new place, if I get one.

Bobbolink
08-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I used up some old peanuts in the freezer to make granola for hubby. I also re-hydrated some spicy tomatoes I dried out a couple of years ago and put into a crockpot full of chili. Used up a can of pinto beans and a can of kidney beans. I also snuck in two shredded zucchinis fresh from our garden. Hubby didn't know they were in the chili until I told him I had a secret ingredient in the chili. Even then he couldn't guess. We'll get a couple move meals on that so I won't be cooking tonight.
Have a blessed Sunday!

Hyacinth
08-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I made a barbecue sauce today by using up a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of mustard, along with a bunch of other ingredients.

Ufi
08-02-2009, 11:55 PM
I push some frozen bean soup stuff and rice in the fridge for the coming week's lunches.

Why do I have all of this powdered sugar?! I hardly ever use it, and I've got like three bags of the stuff. Did I get it on sale? What in the world? I feel like I should make some candy or something for someone with it.

mayness
08-03-2009, 07:46 AM
We're pretty much moved into the new place! Well, except for most of our food... we haven't dealt with the refrigerator or freezer yet. We now have SO MUCH MORE kitchen space... if I want to stock up on canned/dry goods, I no longer have to neatly stack them 3ft high on the couple square inches of counter space that I can spare. :) Our old kitchen was seriously tiny. We cut back so much on dishes and appliances that now in the new kitchen, all the cupboards are half empty!

So my new challenge is to keep using up old stuff (before it gets TOO old) while re-stocking with new. This means I actually have to stay organized. :lol: We'll see how that goes!

Cebsme
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I need to do this, this month. So I am starting Today.

Booklist came out for my DHs classes today and we are looking at about $400.000 for him and mine should be about the same, will find out tomorrow. So in order to keep the books from going all on the credit card we are going to try to use the stuff in the pantry and the freezer, and avoid the grocery store as much as possible.

DH is going into maintenance weight probably this week so that will add a new wrinkle, however we do have most of last seasons salmon shipment left (in-laws have a fishing site in Alaska) so it looks like we will be eating tons of Salmon.

First step is cleaning out the fridge and freezer and organizing the cabinets and writing down what we have.

Thinfor5Minutes
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
On top of trying to use up older stuff, we now have stuff coming out of our garden. My sons and their girlfriends were coming for dinner yesterday, so I made a cold cucumber soup with fresh dill, a ratatouille without eggplant, since my younger son is allergic to it; an eggplant dish with a long complicated name that I can't remember; whole wheat pasta with homemade pesto (basil right out of my garden); fresh corn from the farm around the corner; and a mixed berry pie. From my freezer, I used up a container of last summer's tomatoes for the ratatouille, pine nuts for the pesto, and a package of sour cherries from my sister's tree for the pie. Most of the food was from our garden, though.

Bobbolink
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, lots of great ideas for future menus! Since we live in the middle of the country (Minnesota) we don't have fresh Salmon or seafood of any kind. We can buy it thru the grocery stores and pay a mint for fresh wild salmon. So many of the fish in our stores are farm fed junk, I wouldn't touch them, ICKY.
Tonight we're having taco salad made with Elk burger, our first ripe tomato, garden lettuce, cheese and I make my own homemade taco seasoning so a very cheap meal tonight.

Cebsme
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow, lots of great ideas for future menus! Since we live in the middle of the country (Minnesota) we don't have fresh Salmon or seafood of any kind. We can buy it thru the grocery stores and pay a mint for fresh wild salmon. So many of the fish in our stores are farm fed junk, I wouldn't touch them, ICKY.
Tonight we're having taco salad made with Elk burger, our first ripe tomato, garden lettuce, cheese and I make my own homemade taco seasoning so a very cheap meal tonight.

Boy do I wish you could come to my house I am looking at 15 whole salmon, 4 packages of fillets and 9 pint sized cans of salmon. And now have confirmed that another 50lb box will be heading our way come September.

Well DH had a craving for tuna casserole so I used up a box of pasta, can of cream of mushroom soup, can of peas, and two cans of tuna.

Went through and organized all the can foods and started an inventory list for them. Tomorrow will be boxes.

Thinfor5Minutes
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Trying to use up stuff in the freezer so I have room to freeze garden produce when it is ready. Had some frozen waffles today; when the box is gone I will not replace it.

We ate mostly leftovers from Sunday last night. Corn on the cob, pasta with pesto, ratatouille and the eggplant dish. RF ice cream for dessert. Tonight's dinner will be more of the same. In the meantime, my sister brought me stuff from her garden: blueberries, broccoli, Japanese eggplants, cherry tomatoes, and brussels sprouts. With all of this fresh produce, all I had to buy at the store this week was two cartons of soymilk, breads (my bread machine broke, waaahhhh!) and a box of cereal that was being discontinued and was at the unbelievable price of $1.89. I spent less than $25 and am hoping I don't have to replace anything else, although my husband does go through bananas at an unbelievable rate, so will probably have to buy a bunch of those.

Bobbolink
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I wish we had garden lettuce year around, it is so good in salads. We had the Elk taco salad last night and I was looking for a unique dressing for it. I found one on allrecipe.com that was delicious. I have dried chipotle peppers that I just hydrate so I used them in the recipe. You might want to try this on your next taco salad.
I put all ingredients in the blender for a minute or so.
8oz. fat free sour cream
1/2 cup Adobo Sauce chipotle peppers
2 Tablespoonns lime juice plus the grated rind
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili
1/2t. Old Bay Seasonings
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Cebsme
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Using up some left over ham that's been in the freezer for oh about 8 months or so for the past couple of days. DH has been very helpful with this challenge, finding all kinds of stuff to use up, and keeping it on the list. Groceries this paycheck will consist of things that are on deep discount, and stuff to get ready for school, since most of my eating will be on the run I need some portable healthy, filling snacks. So I am going to buy some supplies to make some healthy snack bars and such.

Hyacinth
08-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I cooked the remainder of a bag of quinoa. I served it in place of rice with a vegetable curry, and I will make some quinoa pancakes for my son.

I made a vegetable stock out of a bag of vegetable scraps and some leftover tomato sauce.

Ufi
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I used up some turkey ham, some frozen bean soup, and some pumpkin applesauce bread.

Closing has been scheduled! If all goes well, I should be in my new place by the end of September!!

Bobbolink
08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I baked some zucchini Lasagna using up some frozen tomato sauce, some kind of frozen white cheese?( dummy me quartered it, took the air out and froze without labeling) looked like mozarella and leftover crumbled Elk meat, parmesan cheese, Italiana seasoning and fresh basil. Turned out really yummy plus we had BLT with garden lettuce and tomato. I made peppered bacon for hubby and cardboard turkey bacon for myself.

Hyacinth
08-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Bobbo, you are too funny - turkey bacon DOES taste like cardboard!

Today, I used up a can of corn, a can of pinto beans, some canned tomatoes, and the rest of the salsa and some garlic-yogurt sauce in a Mexican-flavored bean casserole.

Bobbolink
08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
To bad we can't send each person a sample of all the fantastic meals we're making using up old stuff.
Hyacinth...It's true, just like gnawing on cardboard but it tastes pretty good. I zapped some in the micowaveup, snipped it up with my kitchen shears and added to some potato salad. Gave it great flavor.
Bobbo, you are too funny - turkey bacon DOES taste like cardboard!

Hyacinth
11-07-2009, 09:46 AM
This thread has been dormant for a long time. I'm on a perpetual pantry challenge, though.

Today, I used up some dried chickpeas and one of three curry powders in a crockpot curry that I plan to serve to my sister and mother for lunch.

Bobbolink
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I turned the challenge into a freezer challenge, it worked! I had lots of 2008 frozen garden veggies in the freezer and I used it all up before re-filling up with the new 2009 veggies. I really need to work on the pantry, I have some old stuff in there. Maybe I'll clean out the pantry, put all the old stuff in front and make that my new challenge.