Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Gallbladder

Hi everyone. Long time no post.

I have a quick question:
I recently had my gallbladder taken out (many stones!), and I was wondering if missing this organ will have any effect on my abilities to lose weight.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #2  

I don't think so. I don't even miss mine/can't tell a difference at all--if i didn't have the scar on my belly, I might forget it's gone. haha. I had mine removed 5 years ago--when I was 19. It, too, was full of stones and very painful.

But 3 years after that(2oo7), that's when I decided I wanted to lose weight and lost about 55 lbs--dropping from 211 to my current 155(goal is 145lbs). So, no, I'd say it shouldn't have too much of an effect on your weight loss.
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #3  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

No, it shouldn't. Your body really doesn't need the gallbladder to work properly.
I had mine removed when I was 20 and other than using the surgery as an excuse for why I probably gained weight...it hasn't affected my weightloss (or gain!).

(I finally accepted that my gain is due to my simply eating too much of the wrong foods and not getting enough exercise)
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Fabulous!
That is excellent to know.
Thanks so much!
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Actually, you may find you lose weight more easily. Some people have issues with fatty food after it is gone - if they eat high fat food, it can go through you more quickly. It doesn't happen to everyone - just some people. DH had his gall bladder out two years ago and finds fatty foods go right through him now (instead of causing him pain). He still doesn't eat that sort of food much because it's still bad for you, but when he is in the mood, he can eat it without worrying about the calories. The down side of that is that you can have loose stool, or diarrhea.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #6  

No, it shouldn't. Don't worry about it.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote