Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Well, I did it ... and it wasn't that good

After 10 weeks on my journey I went out and got McDs tonight. It was this awful craving that's been pestering me since last week and I finally gave in.

I did get a smaller meal than normal, which is big for me because usually I think I have to eat the whole restaurant if I go. I used to even sneak a cheeseburger in the car as I was driving home with the food.

But the thing that really hit me was that, it was good and I liked it, but there wasn't that euphoric, happy feeling I used to get when shoveling crap into my mouth. It was good and nice, but so are some of the foods I now make.

It's such a new way to experience that kind of food that I'm kind of stunned. Yeah, it can be good, but without that super-happy feeling, it kind of takes a little more away from the appeal for me.

Hmmm. Who'd of thought?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

LOL! I know exactly what you mean! I think as we eat better the stuff we used to love just doesn't taste as good anymore. This happened to me at Chilis this past weekend. Me and hubby decided to try it. I was good and ordered the guiltless grill but I tasted my honey's meal and it just didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered. It was great!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

It's interesting how we really can retrain our taste buds, isn't it!

But I found this interesting:
Quote:
there wasn't that euphoric, happy feeling I used to get
I've heard of this--but never really experienced it. Is it something they put in the food, do you think? Something that can affect your hormones, somehow?
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Fast food is my heroin. And like a drug, it rarely lives up to the high I've remembered it to be and I end up eating more and more of it each time to try to recreate the feeling somehow. I'll even think to myself as I'm shoveling it in that it doesn't taste all that great, but it keeps pulling me back. Personally, that is one area where I can't have just a little.

The trick is to remember the way you feel now the next time the arches call to you...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #5  

This happened to me in May. I have maybe one corn dog a year and I always look forward to it. But I'd been eating healthy for several months, and I paid six bucks for it and....I dunno. It just tasted really heavy and not nearly as good as I imagined. So it was a good thing for me, because it helped me to realize that the *idea* of the corndog and the anticipation was way out of proportion to the actual item. When I want fast food, I think of the corndog. I might still choose to get it, but I know now that corndogs (or Sonic burgers or whatever) are not magical, utterly delicious foods.

Sometimes a corndog is just a corndog, LOL.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I just has the same experience with a burger tonight. I finished it, but I shouldn't have... it just wasn't nearly as good as I remembered or hoped it would be.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that it is good that you satisfied your craving and found that it was not as wonderful as you remembered. I have had to do that a few times and now find that I don't even crave those foods any more.

Your tastes are changing! Yeah!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

there was a line in a mike myers movie, where he's talking to his granddad (mike myers again) and he's saying how he hates KFC -- he says in a thick scottish brogue "aye ya smarta$$ they put something in it to make you crave it fortnightly" hahah I've remembered that for 20 years LOL although, the fast food craving wasn't every 2 weeks for me, it was every 2 minutes!!! i NEVER thought I could break it, but like you said once the "HIGH" is gone, what's the point? and it makes me poo now LOL TOOOOOOOO MUCH INFO i know but i get a kick out of saying POO

that's awesome chickie!!! be careful tho not to think "i'm over the addiction" completely, because I know I'm about 3 cheeseburgers away at any given time to being RIGHT BACK to where i started!!! i avoid that stuff as much as possible.

poo.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
...it helped me to realize that the *idea* of the corndog and the anticipation was way out of proportion to the actual item. When I want fast food, I think of the corndog. I might still choose to get it, but I know now that corndogs (or Sonic burgers or whatever) are not magical, utterly delicious foods.

Sometimes a corndog is just a corndog, LOL.
good thread. it is funny how a lot of that stuff, now when I eat it again, doesn't live up to the memory. like Mr. Softie cones, I had such a craving that I caved to (on a warm day, near the park), then when I was finally eating it, didn't have that great a taste to me.

makes me feel if I'm going to splurge on the calories, I want it to be small (first of all, so I can avoid the Guilt Feeling), and something I REALLY, REALLY want, ha.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #10  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

What a great lesson ---- and you got it for a pretty low price: one meal instead of a week-long binge. Good for you, ChickieGirl!

And can I also mention: COOL FOR YOU FOR LOSING OVER 30 POUNDS IN 10 WEEKS! WOW! ROCK ON!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

A step in the right direction. Good for you!!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

It never is as good as you remember it to be! I've done the same thing before and afterwards I just didn't feel fulfilled and/or satisfied like I used to after eating that junk.

A think it's a good sign
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #13  

Height: 4'11"

Yep, the anticipation of being able to eat it, the thrill of getting is was always better than the actual taste-- for me, the same is true of any kind of junk food. Of course, that fact doesn't seem to lessen the craving. Been 3 weeks without it, and still want it just as much. Part of my brain is broken
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #14  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
COOL FOR YOU FOR LOSING OVER 30 POUNDS IN 10 WEEKS! WOW! ROCK ON!
Thanks Numina!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote