20-Somethings - Do you indulge in Birthday cake?

View Full Version : Do you indulge in Birthday cake?

kk140
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey there fellow 3FCers!

June in a pretty tempting month for me birthday cake wise. On the 8th, 14th and 20th I have birthday parties being held in my house. For the first 2, I had light eating days and used the rest of the points for my day (usually around 10) and some flex points to indulge in a little sliver of cake.

What have you guys done in the past?

RealCdn
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I guess I'm lucky, I'm not really a cake person. I usually find most birthday cakes way too sweet for my taste. So I rarely ever take it, and usually manage to avoid someone pushing some on me.

losermom
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
It depends on kind of cake it is. If it's chocolate, definitely!

kittycat40
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, if it is ice cream cake. Not likely but wouldn't say never if it is regular cake.

melwolfe
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I make a cake I can eat without having to jump through hoops or do 2 extra hours of exercise in order to make up for it.

sprklemajik
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought you meant for your own birthday... I do for mine, but it's because my mom makes my favorite - a carrot cake. For other peoples it really depends, if it's a homemade cake then usually yes. If it's a store bought cake then no, because it's never as good as I think it's going to taste.

utgirl09
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I can take a bite or two of food and be done with it. I started this last month, and it takes care of my sweet tooth and I can move on to something healthier.

Civakas
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree with sprkle - if it's homemade or from a good bakery, then definitely yes - but I eat just a bit and make sure it's either in my calorie budget or that I can exercise it off. If it's from a grocery store bakery then **** no - I usually find that they are really, really dry and not worth the calories.

sweetandspicy
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
My birthday was Saturday and I did not eat any cake. It was quite an accomplishment for me. I think if you really want a piece just to make adjustments in plan to make it fit.

StarryNights110
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
So many factors!

Ice cream cake? Oh yes! The sickeningly sweet frosting cakes? Nah.

I tend to avoid cake unless it's my own birthday, which is only once a year so I go crazy. :D

My birthday was Saturday and I did not eat any cake.

Mommyofsix, that is awesome and so are you! I've never been able to say no to my own cake.

forestroad
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I love the sickeningly sweet frosting cakes from grocery store bakeries (most of them)...luckily I'm not around them that much but when I am, I can't resist.

StarCarly
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I definitely will for my own birthday. For others, it depends on the cake and how my day has been calorie-wise. Mostly yes, though, in very small amounts.

WormwoodDoll
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
If I eat a birthday cake, I will take a small piece and eat just the cake, not the icing. This is what I also do and it works. I feel satisfied I was able to eat a piece and I didn't feel guilty! Most of the calories comes from the icing anyways! I usually estimate the small non-icing piece to be around 200-300 calories.

cincimom11
06-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I. LOVE. CAKE.

Thankfully I'm not around it often. This Friday, there will be a cake in celebration of one of my aunts being named postmaster of her town, so I plan to indulge. I freaking LOVE icing!!! I'll just have one piece, and the rest of the day will be healthy.

Chele615
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I will indulge in my own birthday cake....but I'm usually a bit better at being able to turn down other cake requests.

SavingServo
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I normally plan for cake (since I calorie count), so I don't really consider it indulging. There are really very few times when a random birthday cake has appeared in my life. ;)

Although when I worked a grocery store in high school sometimes we'd get bakery rejects. Those were hard to pass up. :devil: But thankfully I've moved on to bigger and better things where there isn't on-site cake making.

zenor77
06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on whether I really want it. I usually pass up bought cakes, because they are rarely any good. If I'm going to eat it, it needs to be good!

bacilli
06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't really like cake, or ice cream, or ice cream cake. If there's a loaf of birthday sourdough bread, I'm on it!

Windchime
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I love cake and I love the frosting. If it's a family event, then yes I will have cake. But the icky cakes with the whipped shortening frosting from the big warehouse store that people sometimes bring to work? Nope.

megwini
06-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Aw man.... cake. I can't pass up cake. If it's my own birthday party, I go all out and have a huge 600 calorie piece (I made the cake and counted out the calories myself). Someone else's birthday? Just a tiny little slice is all I need. Nothing much. But gosh darn it my own birthday I make my own cake and I hate to toot my horn but it's DELICIOUS and I want a big piece, darn it! But it truly is only once a year. :D

mandalinn82
06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm picky about cake, because I'm a cake lover (I have a cupcake necklace, and a list of cupcakes to try before I die).

If the cake is homemade by someone I know can bake, is from a really good bakery, or I'm at a wedding, I eat cake. If it's a cupcake from a bakery on my list, I usually go with friends, cut the cupcakes in different flavors into 4-6 pieces each, and take samples of each flavor, making sure to savor the combination of flavors and how it lands on the palate. Again, I'm passionate.

If the cake is storebought, doesn't look good, etc, I don't eat cake.

stellarosa27
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
If I want it, I eat it. Store bought, homemade, whatever. If I'm in the mood for cake, I'll have a slice, eat it (icing and all) and just account for it in my points.

rocketbunny
06-16-2009, 05:21 PM
We usually do morning donuts or kolaches for birthdays. Cakes are for other events. I find it pretty easy to avoid the donuts or work them into my plan for the day.

We do cakes for really special events, like the co-bosses' wedding anniversary tomorrow. It's my turn to go pick up the cake, so I ordered a sinful sounding chocolate rum cake from a nearby specialty bakery (no supermarket cakes for me either).

I've already written it into my food journal for tomorrow. I'm going to have a tiny slice after a low point (WW) lunch.

DanSinDeva
06-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Cook Your Self Thin!! I rarely ever have any cake when at parties, whether it be birthdays or anything. I don't know how i did it but years ago, I convinced my self i don't like it, so I dont eat it. I will usually have one bite of someone else's with the least amount of frosting. I do like cake, but I just know how many bad ingredients are in it, and especially if it isn't homemade.

Cook yourself thin has showed me that replacing some ingredients, it's Ok, to have a sliver, specially for us cake lovers out there. I mean that many b-days in one month, i'd volunteer to make the first one, then everyone would love it, and ask you to make again! :D

Oh Yeah, and if you plan for it, eat it, you should never cut something out that you truly enjoy!!

Did anyone ever have that american idol dreyers brand cake batter, or cake ice cream...it was white with the confetti look? OMG that stuff was so addicting, I lived with my dad when they had it out, and JEEZE LOUISE MARTHA!!! I ate all of it all the time...so glad they don't have it anymore, it tasted jsut like the confetti cake with the frosting...STAY AWAY! :D

SarahJD
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes, it's one of my favorite desserts and treats.

stargzr
06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Since I'm not a big cake fan, it's a little easier for me to pass.. I am even the designated cake-maker for birthdays at work and I still never have a slice of my own cakes.

leighish
06-17-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm a cake decorator.

So yes, i do.

janellody
06-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not around cake that much.. but if I am I will at least have a couple bites and usually that will be enough.

orthodiva
06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Cake is my #1 dessert!!!

I can say no to cookies, brownies, pastries, pie, and pudding. But I have to try the cake if it's there. However, it has to be good cake. If it tastes cheap, I'll get rid of it and spare myself the calories.

I especially like a good piece of cake with a cup of hot coffee. Although these days my pieces are actually slivers, but it's the one indulgence I allow myself. I got a really good piece of layer cake at the grocery store the other day, but I divided it into slivers and have been enjoying it for 5 days now. Mmmmm.

I don't like mounds of frosting so I tend to get rid of it. I've been wanting to hit up a cupcake bakery nearby for their red velvet cupcake which I love, but I'm waiting for my brother to get here so we can go together and I can share it with him.

I also experiment with my own versions of cake at home. I'm always trying out recipes with hopes that they taste yummy without breaking the calorie bank.