View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to restrict following a bad food day?
yes 12 33.33%
no 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #1  
ImseVimse

S/C/G: 222/217.9/160

Height: 5'10

Cool how do you recover from a bad day?

So, let's say your goal is 1800

You have a bad day and eat 2500

Do you restrict the next day to something like 1100 to make up for it?
Imse Vimse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I'd probably stick to the 1800 after a day of bad eating. Binging and then restricting isnt a good habit to get into.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

I like to try to treat each day individually. After a high day, I might cut back a little bit on subsequent days, but I would probably do something like omit my Skinny Cow ice cream treat or try to be more conscious about sodium. I try to keep my weekly average around 1700; sometimes I'm under and sometimes I'm a little over but I don't let one higher-calorie day get me too rattled. If I have 2 of them in a week, then it's time to re-evaluate my plan and my committment level.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I've found that restricting the day after might play a part in sending me over the edge again the next day. I might cut out a few empty calories (like a pp mentioned). Also, sometimes the day after, I'm not as hungry, so I might eat less calories then my daily limit.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I thought this thread was going to be about bad dads and I could share about how my dad used to say I was fat.

But, since it's about bad days, I'll share that I don't restrict the next day, I just go back to eating normally. Maybe I'll have more veggies depending on what I overate the day before, but that is just because if I had fewer veggies the day before I'm probably going to be craving them the next day anyway.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

My caloric intake is different everyday depending on how active I am or am not. If I have a 'bad day,' I just keep going. Restricting is pretty negative, especially when you are active, all that is doing is punishing you/your body.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would not punish myself, I would not let myself get hungry and "try to make up for it". What's done is.

What I would do - is try and decipher why I went so high on my calories. Did I not have healthy foods on hand to eat? Did I not plan well? Was I not happy with my food selections? Did I let let temptation get to me by forgetting my long term wants and desires instead of my short term ones? Did I let myself get too hungry and then just "over did it"?

Remember, one day of "off" eating in the scope of things is no biggie. But 2 is another story. So yes, get back to it today. No harm done.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 226/158.2/137

Height: 5'6

I'd just go back to what you were doing before your bad day. As someone mentioned you don't want to have the problem of getting too hungry
nineoceansaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #9  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Planned calorie cycling is one thing. Just having a crappy day where carb cravings or a party at work gets to you is just a speed bump. Just go right back to your plan. You're looking for a new "normal", long term, so keep your mind on the long term goal of developing healthier eating and exercise habits, not this week's weigh in. The effects of a high cal day might be that the scale goes up a little for a day or two, but if you're otherwise sticking to your plan, that's all it does, it's not permanent, and it'll be just a note in your journal a couple of days from now. Like Robin said, learn from it, and move on.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I had to answer that it is a good idea to restrict calories after a bad food day, but that was before I read what you were suggesting.

You cannot make up for overeating by then undereating by the same amount. That is a no-win cycle that leads to further bingeing. One also shouldn't overexercise in an attempt to make up for it.

It might be OK to go 100-150 calories below your target level for two or three days following a really big day--that's what I mean by restricting calories. That isn't likely to get cyclic. Just keep in mind that you may not see much loss that week.

And as rockinrobin suggested, try to see what caused you to go off the plan.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about bad dads and I could share about how my dad used to say I was fat.

But, since it's about bad days, I'll share that I don't restrict the next day, I just go back to eating normally. Maybe I'll have more veggies depending on what I overate the day before, but that is just because if I had fewer veggies the day before I'm probably going to be craving them the next day anyway.
Yeah! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who was expecting a rant about a tragic childhood after reading the thread's title.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #12  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I calorie shift. If I eat 2500, I'll just eat around 1200 - 1400 instead of 1400 - 1600.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by megwini View Post
Yeah! I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who was expecting a rant about a tragic childhood after reading the thread's title.
Nope, that's what I thought, too. And I wasn't whether or not I'd be able to contribute to the thread, because I have a really good dad.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #14  
ImseVimse

S/C/G: 222/217.9/160

Height: 5'10

opps on the typo. sorry about that. I tried to edit the post but it doesn't seem to allow me to edit the title.
Imse Vimse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I would just try to eat a about 1500-1600 the next day. And I also like to eat as much fiber (esp insoluble fiber) the next day as I can. Oatmeal for breakfast and make sure I get all my fruits & veggies in the next day too! It might actually do your body good to have a higher day every once in awhile because then your body won't "think there is a food shortage" and won't think it needs to hold on to all your fat! Darn caveman genes!
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote