Weight Loss Support - If you are currently on a diet, which one?

suzan
06-14-2009, 04:56 AM
If you are currently on a diet, which one?

rockinrobin
06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Hey, but what about what it says in your signature that keeps flashing back and forth? ;)

suzan
06-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey, but what about what it says in your signature that keeps flashing back and forth? ;)

:)
FYI, I like doing polls to get to know what are some statistics in the forum concerning several topics. I am still with that it says in my signature that keeps flashing back and forth :)

rockinrobin
06-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Well thank you for my information! I just thought the question was was kinda cute, given your signature. That's all. Didn't mean to get you so upset. Really.:smug:

That being said, my so called "diet" is not up there. I guess I could choose other.

I'm a calorie counter, who concentrates on whole foods. Think veggies, proteins, fruits. Stays away from the added sugar, flour, pasta, rice, etc. And I even stay away from most grains, even whole ones - carbs (sans those found in fruits and veggies) and I don't get along very well. Eating voluminous foods is very important to me as well. I also eat frequently, every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The calorie counting is essential to me, as it's forced portion control, it sets limits as well as providing me with built in accountability.

And for me, it really wasn't a *diet*. I'm aware that it's just the word that you used to find out what plan we're following, but it bears some explanation as to why the word diet, as what it's come to be used as, doesn't sit well with me and in that explanation, I believe lies why I've been successful *this time*, my final time.

There is actually a lot of pain and sorrow attached to the word "diet" for me. It brings up memories of many failed attempts, horrible, horrible foods to eat, dread and deprivation. *I* also really do believe the very word shrieks of temporary-ness and not willingness to continue - the "good fight" once the weight is off. It just shrieks *to me* of "When do I get to get "off" this horrible thing that I'm on so that I can go back to normal?" *For me*, as corn-y and semantic-y as it may sound - LIFESTYLE CHANGE, or lifestyle - whatever - discovering that word, that phrase, that - mindset - opened up a whole new world for me and unlocked many doors. It made perfect sense to me. It was a "light bulb moment". I never did "diet" very well, but change my lifestyle, make this an adventure, something interesting and exciting and lasting - now THAT was something I could do! Once I wrapped it around my very slow brain that I was in "this" forever, well, that's the second I realized I had better make this delightful and fun and exciting. Something that I could look forward to, not dread. That's when I worked my tail off seeking out ways to make this work. That's when I came up with "my own plan", customized for me. That's when I became a "gourmet" chef. Because there was no way on earth I was going to do "diet" food forever. That's when I found the joy in this, instead of the sadness. And that's when I found success, not failure.

suzan
06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Well thank you for my information! I just thought the question was was kinda cute, given your signature. That's all. Didn't mean to get you so upset. Really.:smug:

Your response felt as if I was acting sarcastic or something, and I am not. Anyway, no hard feelings! :)

Lori Bell
06-14-2009, 09:47 AM
My "diet" is not on there either. I'm a calorie counter. Though I feel a little differently about this "diet" topic than others. I call it a diet because technically a diet is the food source a person or animal eats. I was on a unhealthy diet before, and I am on a healthy diet now. A rose is still a rose by any other name. ;)

rockinrobin
06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
My "diet" is not on their either. I'm a calorie counter. Though I feel a little differently about this "diet" topic than others. I call it a diet because technically a diet is the food source a person or animal eats. I was on a unhealthy diet before, and I am on a healthy diet now. A rose is still a rose by any other name. ;)

Lori, I agree with you 100%. "My diet consists of so and so", or "I follow a diet of _____" is what the term really refers to; but the word "diet" has not been referred to that way (for the most part) for quite some time.

bacilli
06-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I also calorie count.

Glory87
06-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I eat very similarly to Robin, except I eat less cauliflower/yogurt and more whole grains than she does ;)

My "lightbulb" moment was flipping through the book Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life. I was obese, 35 years old and my last grandparent had died that year (all 4 died way too young). After reading that book, I knew I wanted to start eating better - to choose the kinds of food that could fight cancer, prevent disease. I also realized around the same time, that I had to stop "dieting" for a short time and then expecting to eat "normal." My normal way of eating made me fat - I had to stop eating like that and find something I could stick to - forever.

The way I ate evolved over the next couple of years. It eventually became a plan completely unique to me and the foods I like and my lifestyle. It is a combination of calorie counting, emphasis on whole foods and volumetrics. It requires a lot of planning and structure, but I enjoy that.

It has been almost five years since I started and I am still very happy with how I eat and have little desire to return to my old ways.

Civakas
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm a calorie counter as well. I don't have any restrictions on what I can eat, but there are definitely many foods that I can't eat regularly or can't eat much of because they don't fit into my calorie allowance.

Having said that, there is one food that I avoid - french fries. I find that I 1) just can't eat a few and 2) even if I just finished a burger or sandwich, after eating just a few fries I am immediately ravenous again.

bargoo
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I am a calorie counter, too. I wonder why you didn't have calorie counting on your list, so I had to pick Other.

cfmama
06-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I calorie count with a focus on whole foods nutrition. I get my 5-10 fruits/veg a day, healthy dairy, lean meats, good fats, whole grain carbs. I keep my protein over 100 grams daily and my fat under 30% of my total calories :) I WILL be following my "diet" or way of eating for the rest of my life.

Nell68
06-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Susan
I am a calorie counter. I prefere fruit, vegetable , fish, lean meat , whole grain carbs, and low fat dairy. Also drink about 1/2 gallon of water per day.

What I like the most in this is :

I can and will sometimes eat sweet things or pizza too,
as long as I'm in my calorie range :)

That way I don't feel deprived of anything, and also makes me crave lot less then before.

I share Rockinrobin's thinking :
"The calorie counting is essential to me, as it's forced portion control, it sets limits as well as providing me with built in accountability. "

good luck
Nell

lilybelle
06-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I used Atkins to reach my goal and maintain it for the first 6 month afterwards. But, eventually I realized that I didn't Choose to do it for the rest of my life. I now count calories (1500 daily) and keep my fat grams at 25-30 grams per day. Right now this is working for me. I have no guarantee that it will always work or that I may have to change things up again when I get tired of it or find it difficult to stay on plan. So, I chose my "own plan" cause I do whatever works for me at a given time.

lizzyINPA
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
calorie counting.

Pita09
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I count calories and try to keep my foods high in complex carbs with tons of fiber and food low in fat. I try to not eat processed ready made foods and much prefer to cook things from fresh ingredients.

Sophia Elise
06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Forgive me for saying this but I don't believe in diet. I hope you will respect this. Nothing against those who are undergoing diet. I admire you. What I do is always exercise even if it's just plain walking around the park. That way, I can feel that my body is always on the go.

amynbebes
06-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Calorie counting while trying to watch percentages of fat, carbs and proteins.

Fox
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Another calorie counter here! I watch my calorie intake and incorporate as many whole foods (non processed) and home made stuff as possible.

mixshaky
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
How do I kow how many calories something has???

Nigelswife
06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I too am a calorie counter. Works great for me because even though I focus on healthy foods such as whole grains, fruits and veggies, there is nothing forbidden. Once I'm told I cannot have something, I want that thing...even if I normally dont care for it.

Shannon in ATL
06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Calorie counter here, too, so I also chose 'other'. I don't consider myself currently on a 'diet', but I do continue to count calories to maintain.

Niecy
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I chose my own diet. Civakas and RockinRobin pretty much summed up my plan. I calorie count, and while I could technically eat *insert said junkfood here* until I reach the calorie limit for the day, somehow eating 14 of those 100 calorie treats just doesn't sound appealing :dizzy:

RockinRobin...don't know if you will see this again, but that was a darn good post :) It captures ALL of the feelings I have about the word "diet" also. Especially like in the past, looking so forward to when I could go off the "diet". I know it had a lot to do with the fact that I just didn't know how to eat healthy. So it was usually an all or nothing thing. And the fact that the gimmicky ways to lose weight have just tarnished the word altogether. So if you don't mind, I think I might borrow your term of "lifestyle change".

CountingDown
06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Another calorie counter here. I voted "no diets for me" because it really is a lifestyle change. Although I am a vegetarian, I still eat a lot like Robin and Glory (but I eat a few more processed foods than Robin does. Until I can hire her to cook for me ...;)

Mrs Snark
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Calorie counting for the win.

Tracy
06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I was on ww in the past. Right now I am counting calories.

rockinrobin
06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I know it had a lot to do with the fact that I just didn't know how to eat healthy.So if you don't mind, I think I might borrow your term of "lifestyle change".

Borrow away. But don't give me credit for the term. It's a oft tossed around phrase, one that I didn't come up with, though I wish I did ;). And not only did I not know how to cook healthy, I had no idea that healthy could be so darn delicious - until of course I stopped thinking of it in terms of dieting and HAD to learn how to cook healthy AND delicious.

Although I am a vegetarian, I still eat a lot like Robin and Glory (but I eat a few more processed foods than Robin does. Until I can hire her to cook for me ...;)

Actually the year I was losing my lunch most days of the week was the Morning Star Farms Chick patties. I didn't stop eating them because they were processed, but I discovered I needed even MORE volume. I do eat some processed foods - not the best ones either. I eat Hunts 5 calorie Jello. I also eat SF/FF yogurt. All processed. Oh and Fiber One cereal. There's some other stuff too, it's just not coming to my mind right now. The real reason I eat so little of the processed stuff, is because nothing satisfies me quite as much as veggies, salmon, egg whites, chicken breast and the such. I think if I were a vegatarian I would definitely have to rely more on processed foods. As far as I'm concerned processed foods can definitely have a place in a healthy diet.

Oh and I'd actually love to cook for you. LOVE it. You ever pass by my neck of the woods - and I'd be more then happy to whip something up for you. ;)

sexybak96
06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm doing the clevland diet. Calorie restricted for three days then normal foods for four days. This is the diet that they put morbidly obese patients on before they can do any kind of surgery to get the weight down to a safe lvl. Weight comes off fast (my brother-in-law has lost 47 lbs so far) but I'm also doing portion control, and working out at least an hour a day. Treadmill for 30 mins or more and weights for 30 mins or more. We'll see how it works out.

I am in an 18 jeans now. I can't imagine ever fitting into a 8 or 6 jeans Glory! How tall are you if you dont' mind my asking? Wondering if there is hope for me to get below a ten. Which is the smallest I've ever been >.<

rockinrobin
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm doing the clevland diet. Calorie restricted for three days then normal foods for four days.

Just curious - what does "normal foods" mean? For that matter, what does "calorie restricted" mean? I mean, how MUCH calorie restriction are we talking about?

harrismm
06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
South Beach Diet for me.Yes.....I say diet.Doesnt bother me at all.Its just a word.I have no problem telling anyone I eat what is on my diet.No different than people who follow a diabetic diet or cardiac diet.That is the word we use in the health care profession.

Glory87
06-16-2009, 12:55 AM
I am in an 18 jeans now. I can't imagine ever fitting into a 8 or 6 jeans Glory! How tall are you if you dont' mind my asking? Wondering if there is hope for me to get below a ten. Which is the smallest I've ever been >.<

I am 5'7" :) I never knew it until I lost weight, but I actually have a very small frame (tiny wrists, I wear a 4.5 ring, etc). Some of it is vanity sizing, I was a size 10 in high school at my smallest. I would consider myself a circa 1990 size 10, but a 2009 size 6.

munchievictim
06-16-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm calorie cycling :)
I've never had a bad experience with calorie-counting, and I do hope that this will become habit for me for the rest of my life. I am in the middle of a long process of learning what foods are truly healthy and which are absolutely not. I'm also learning how to control the amount of food I eat. Rather than sitting in the kitchen watching tv and eating for countless hours late into the night, I'll eat my dinner (though I haven't given up on watching the tv while eating, it's one of the few times I actually get to tune into cable and catch the news) and then I'll leave the kitchen. There was a time when I thought I'd never be free of nightly binges that left my stomach stretched and painful, and occasionally even made me sick.
However, for many nights in a row now I've put my dinner dishes in the sink, gone to my room to study, and fallen asleep without even shoving a handful of nameless faceless carbs into my face.
I think that, as personal as weight loss is to each individual, there are differences in the way we feel about certain words or certain methods. "Diet" is the big one, I think. To me it brings to mind childhood memories of my stepmother downing slim fast shakes and having a diet pill for lunch, then tearing through the drive-thru of Krispy Kreme for a dozen and consuming half on the ride home before dinner. It also brings to mind weeks of starvation, binging and purging during high school, when I never lost more than 10 pounds, but lost the same 10 pounds 8 times.
So I definitely understand the sensitivity towards the word, and the mindset that it carries along behind it for so many of us. I'm sure that a world without fad diets and magic pills would be a much happier place.

SarahJD
06-16-2009, 02:02 AM
I refuse to 'diet'.
I'm just trying to make better choices, and keeping an eye on calories. Not counting them much, just keeping an eye on them. :)

ICUwishing
06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Calorie-counting, against a weekly, not daily average. I eat as close to whole food as I can, but don't refuse anything except for non-fermented soy products (documented sensitivity). Mostly just eating slower and smaller - I'm an enthusiastic omnivore. :)

mamaduck
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a calorie counter (calories, protein, carbs and fat).

BoxerFit
06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Ideal Protein,,,,,so far so good! :)

Loli
06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not doing a diet. I'm just trying to make a lifestyle change. Since last week, I've started working out six days a week for an hour - focusing mainly on strength training. Then, I'm eating six small meals a day while making sure I get plenty of protein, fruit, and veggies. I'm also not going to weigh for awhile so I won't be discouraged.

NTexas
06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
If you have to put a name on it, I would be a "calorie counter". I simply watch what and how much I eat everyday - all food is 'planned'. I shoot for a big deficit (both diet & exercisewise) Monday - Friday so I can eat at maintenance on the weekends, so I guess I "calorie cycle", too. I try to load up on fiber and protein so maybe I'm "low-carb" as well? I don't know what to call my exercise/diet routine, but for me, it works!

khat
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't eat sugar, fried food, meat or fish. I eat fresh veggies and fruit through the whole day and a normal healthy lunch - whole grains with veggies, tofu stir-frys, veggie soup, salad... I don't measure anything or think about calories that much, as long as its healthy I eat until I'm full. It has become clear to me that without tasty food I can't last long on a diet. So I prepare super healthy stuff I like and eat without feeling guilty.
But I also exercise exercise exercise.. And drink a lot of water!!
It works for me. But it's not an overnight thing unfortunately and you have to work at maintaning too (where I failed)

jessica2231
06-02-2011, 08:45 PM
im a calorie counter as well! :)

yoyoma
06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Lowish carb calorie counting

uwfan27
06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
An old thread brought back to life!! I like it :)

I do a modified program that was offered through my company. It is called Kinetix (company is called Kinetix Living) and it is basically eat a set number of calories based on your body weight and activity level, eating 6 small meals a day, and ensuring that each meal contains 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. The food portion also incorporates 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights. The food is meant to compliment the physical portion of the program so you do not lose lean muscle (hopefully gain!) while losing fat.

It has worked wonderfully for me in the past but I completely fell off the wagon due to depression that went untreated for a year. I'm back to it and going strong!

sept15lija
06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Calorie counting here! I don't have a problem with the word diet, to me it means whatever you are eating. You could be on a big mac diet, and still call it a diet. ;)

AshleyLaurent
06-03-2011, 12:50 AM
100 grams of carbs a day. Anything else is free. Stop eating when I'm not hungry. Exercise.

georgeshair
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm on the Rosemary Conley plan: calorie counting and less than 5% fat.

Beach Patrol
06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Calorie counter here. :wave:

Yes, I've tried other diets, and yes they worked. South Beach, Metabolic Research, MediFast... I lost weight. Six times in my adult life, I have "lost the weight I intended to lose." However, all that lost weight "found me" again, and brought a bunch of its friends! :fr:

Actually, SouthBeach, Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc... all those "diets" are just calorie counting diets, but they each use a different way to count the calories. Some by restriction or elimination of certain foods. So I have finally learned that counting the calories is the way to go. Simple. But not always easy, because OMG I love to eat!!!! :hun:

I don't adhere to a dead-set "X" number of calories every day because I like to eat different things sometimes. But in general, I make sure to keep my calorie count between 1400 - 1600 per day. I log everything on FitDay. If I happen to eat 1605 calories one day, I don't sweat it or fret it. I eat what I like, and most of it is raw foods (salads, fruits) and processed foods (I'm a big fan of the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers frozen meals.) I have treats/desserts every day, I simply work them into my caloric count. My current fave is two scoops No-Sugar-Added Vanilla Ice Cream (made w/Splenda) and fresh cut strawberries & a dollop of real whip cream. Yummy!! :goodvibes

I enjoy whatever I want on special occasions such as birthdays or weddings or my anniversary. I don't "count" those calories; I stick to my usual diet, but I watch those portion sizes. When I go on vacation (which is rare) I do the same.

I also exercise, but I do what I enjoy doing and I do it for FITNESS, not weight loss. I love to swim; I have a pool & live in a hot climate, (10 minutes to the beach) so I swim a great deal during the April - October months. Otherwise I enjoy lifting weights (2x a week) and walking & biking. Sometimes I do yoga or an exercise DVD.

And you know what else? I FINALLY GET IT. This is my diet. This is my fitness plan. I cannot slack off either when I reach my goal. Maintenance requires me to stick to it... FOREVER. And that's OK, because honestly, I'm tired of the lose/gain/lose/gain/lose/gain merry-go-round. :^:

Loli
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Calorie counting here! I don't have a problem with the word diet, to me it means whatever you are eating. You could be on a big mac diet, and still call it a diet. ;)

It depends on the context it is used in. There are several fad diets. And then, there is your eating habits - what your diet consists of.

JohnP
06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
BeachPatrol you crack me up with your clever use of emoticons. :bow (insert emoticon)

Plus- I also love to eat! :D

Beach Patrol
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
BeachPatrol you crack me up with your clever use of emoticons. :bow (insert emoticon)
That's nice to know!
I also talk with my hands a lot! ;)

Plus- I also love to eat! :D
Food is sooooo good!!! :D :carrot::cb::m::jeno::burger::chockiss::corn::hun: :broc::mcd::coffee::moo::ink:

Esofia
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Calorie counter, vegan diet, strong on the wholefoods. I try to have porridge for breakfast (otherwise cereal or sometimes toast), and soup and/or salad for lunch. Supper is my usual fare, which works well if I'm cooking for my partner too.

GoingGoingGone
06-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm calorie counting. It's the only thing that has worked well so far and NOT made me gain weight.

proudmommy09
06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Everyone seems to have the most success with calorie counting and not some diet. Ive tried unsuccessfully calorie counting before because I continued to eat junk as long as it was in my calories. Can some of you successful CC offer me some advice as how to do it the right way. TIA im so tired of being on a "diet" and want to make a lifestyle change that I can live with!!!

JohnP
06-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Everyone seems to have the most success with calorie counting and not some diet. Ive tried unsuccessfully calorie counting before because I continued to eat junk as long as it was in my calories. Can some of you successful CC offer me some advice as how to do it the right way. TIA im so tired of being on a "diet" and want to make a lifestyle change that I can live with!!!

Lots of protein, lots of veggies, and get most of your carbs from fruit. You can eat a LOT of food this way and keep your calories under 1500 and still have room for a little treat here and there. The difficult part is to make this kind of food taste good you're going to have find recipies that you like. It's a little bit of work up front but you'll find a rotation of things you like that aren't too time consuming to prepare.

juliana77
06-04-2011, 02:05 AM

I am also a calorie counter. What works for me is setting targets for carbs, fat, and protein in addition to my calorie target. I also monitor sodium and fiber. Right now I aim for 40-45% carbs, 30% fat, and 25-30% protein. I started with higher carbs and have slowly adjusted. The fiber goal is good (I aim for 35 g per day) because it helps ensure that your carbs are good ones, and the sodium goal (I shoot for under 1500) really makes you limit processed foods. Start with the calories and slowly add the other things in. I have been doing this for 3 months and have lost 30 lbs, and it really starts to become second nature.

chickadee32
06-04-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm a happy calorie counter as well, and work very similarly to juliana77. I started with just tracking calories and fat and % calories from fat, and have since added in tracking of fiber, protein and carbs. My calorie range is 1200-1500, and I shoot for 20-25% calories from fat, 30-35% of calories from protein, and 40-45% of calories from carbs with 25g or more of fiber daily. Tracking the macronutrients definitely helps me in choosing good foods for my calories. For example, I'll finish dinner and add up my calories for the day and notice I'm low on fiber, and so raspberries become my evening snack; or notice I'm low on fat and so have some nuts. Of course there are days here and there when I blow my macronutrient ratios completely (especially if I have to eat out at a restaurant), but keeping my calories in check no matter what keeps the weight coming off.