100 lb. Club - Fiber One bars?

View Full Version : Fiber One bars?

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Has anyone tried these? I've heard from a few people that they are really gross. But I need some added fiber in my diet. I have serious issues with constipation :o, and I've been told adding more fiber to my diet will help.

Any suggestions for other ways to add in fiber?

MaddiesMom
06-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm not a fan of the Fiber One bars, but I LOVE the Fiber One cereal...the caramel delight is soooo good. If you have time to have cereal in the morning that is...

Pita09
06-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I LOVE them!!! They taste soooooo good!! They do have a ton of fiber, but make me really gassy. So be careful what you do a couple of hours after eating one. :o

I also love the Quaker fiber and omega bars, any of the Kashi bars are delish and have lots of good for you fiber.

Remember when eating high fiber products to drink extra water to keep everything moving along the way it's suppose to. ;)

MaddiesMom
06-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Of the Kashi bars, I love the Honey Almond Flax...keep you full for a long time as well.

diary
06-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't use the Fiber one bars... I find them too chewy. My co-worker loves them, although they make her gassy! :) I try to work on getting enough fiber with fruits and veggies as well as choosing other high fiber foods, like bread, pasta, etc.

Should you decide to go the fiber one route, make sure you get enough liquids! all that extra fiber can bind you up!

CountingDown
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I like the Kashi bars, and the South Beach Living High Protein bars. The Fiber One bars don't have enough protein for my snack requirements. But I LOVE Fiber One cereal with yogurt for breakfast.

kim83
06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I like the chocolate oatmeal fiber one bars. My entire family does!! My kids think they are candy bars (which they kind of are!)

Tammy
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I like the Fiber One bars. I use them as a treat when I have the "need".

Sandi
06-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I l:love:ve Fiber One Bars. But they send me straight to the bathroom, so I have to keep away. Maybe they'll work for you!!!

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh I love cereal! I will definitely have to look into some of that.
I've seen they have a couple of different flavors. I guess I'll look into them a little more..see how many points they'd be and such.

Thanks for your opinions, girls!

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I l:love:ve Fiber One Bars. But they send me straight to the bathroom, so I have to keep away. Maybe they'll work for you!!!

Well then I'll definitely try them. I'll have to be careful I don't eat too many I guess! lol

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I like the chocolate oatmeal fiber one bars. My entire family does!! My kids think they are candy bars (which they kind of are!)

That sounds really good! I'm going to look for that kind this afternoon!

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Pita and diary-- thanks for the tip about the water. That is exactly why I come to you girls for advice! I'm totally clueless about nutrition and anything to do with it!

Daimere
06-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I love them and the only time I get really gassy is when I have two of them in a four hours (they are perfect snacks for my breaks at work when i work overtime).

mel hughes
06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I told my husband that it was noted these bars could make me gassy. He said "Yes! Now thats what I like!"

Sometimes I worry about him..lol

Pita09
06-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I told my husband that it was noted these bars could make me gassy. He said "Yes! Now thats what I like!"

Sometimes I worry about him..lol

Have him eat a bar and you two can have a contest on who likes each other more. :devil:

Jo Kittibuck
06-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I love fiber bars! I get the Active Lifestyle bars, with oats and chocolate, and they've actually become my main tasty treat. I try to eat one a day, to avoid difficulties.

It did take some getting used to them... the first time I tried one, I thought it was too tough to chew. But I've come to enjoy the complicated texture.

rockinrobin
06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I personally don't do well with any of those bars. To me, they are practically candy bars. They are over very quickly, don't fill me and I feel as if I haven't eaten. Plus they leave me clamoring for MORE of them. Not good. I need lots of filling power and VOLUME from my calories. So for me, the best way to get in lots of fiber is to eat LOTS & LOTS of veggies and some fruits & beans as well. There's also whole grains, which I tend to avoid though, they are perfectly fine for most. I have never, not one day since changing my diet, have suffered from constipation. I would have my good friends - veggies to thank for that. :)

I would ask you, what does your daily menu look like? How much fruits, veggies, beans and whole grains are you eating?

ALL fruits and veggies have fiber, some more then others. Here's a partial list of some high fiber foods.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49479.asp

I urge you to incorporate as many as possible into your diet. Oh and don't forget to drink lots of water when you do so. Fiber expands in the stomach and you'll need the extra water. On top of all the "bathroom benefits", fiber is essential to good health and is a weight loss powerhouse.

Creeech
06-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Fiber One Oats&Chocolate..DELICIOUS! :) The South Beach Living Maple Nut bars are also really good..try them out see if you like them!

Hello Nurse
06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I love them! I agree that they tend to make you gassy, but I only experienced this when I had two at a time (I was having two for my breakfast at one time). It did not hit me usually til early afternoon, but when it hit - - boy howdy! I have since decided they are a better occasional snack. Especially when having that candy bar craving. I like the choc and the peanut butter.

Windchime
06-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I love the Oats and Chocolate, and the peanut butter one. I think I'm going to give them up, though, because they don't just make me gassy--they make me feel like a volcano is rumbling in my gut and I need to stick close to the bathroom starting a few hours after I eat one. I've tried for several months to work up to the amount of fiber, to eat on every second or thrid day. It doesn't matter; they still give me explosive, rumbly tummy. I got a big box at Costco and I think I'll give the remainder to my son who has an iron constitution.

I love the way they taste and they make a filling morning snack, but I just don't want to deal with the volcanic belly!

TJFitnessDiva
06-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the chocolate one :) Never really had a stomach problem with them but I don't eat them a lot. They are good for a quick-gotta run after the 3 small kids that are going in 3 different directions kind of snack lol

nineoceansaway
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I like them, especially the apple streusel and chocolate. Nice sweet treat

AmberShimmer
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I love the Fiber One bars but I don't eat them often. They make me gassy, make my stomach gurgle and noisy and eventually just make me wanna GO. Fast. Suddenly.

But yes, they definitely help with the constipation.

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Have him eat a bar and you two can have a contest on who likes each other more. :devil:

He doesn't need any help..trust me..:barf:

But I can tell you he would LOVE that.. A gas contest is right up his alley. I think I'm married to a 6 year old. = )

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I personally don't do well with any of those bars. To me, they are practically candy bars. They are over very quickly, don't fill me and I feel as if I haven't eaten. Plus they leave me clamoring for MORE of them. Not good. I need lots of filling power and VOLUME from my calories. So for me, the best way to get in lots of fiber is to eat LOTS & LOTS of veggies and some fruits & beans as well. There's also whole grains, which I tend to avoid though, they are perfectly fine for most. I have never, not one day since changing my diet, have suffered from constipation. I would have my good friends - veggies to thank for that. :)

I would ask you, what does your daily menu look like? How much fruits, veggies, beans and whole grains are you eating?

ALL fruits and veggies have fiber, some more then others. Here's a partial list of some high fiber foods.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49479.asp

I urge you to incorporate as many as possible into your diet. Oh and don't forget to drink lots of water when you do so. Fiber expands in the stomach and you'll need the extra water. On top of all the "bathroom benefits", fiber is essential to good health and is a weight loss powerhouse.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be checking into that link.
My menu is in desperate need of some revamping. I am terribly picky, and I just can't stand a majority of fruits and veggies. I am determined to introduce some into my diet, though. I know it is much needed. Do you think drinking veggie and fruit juice, like V8 Splash will help? Maybe not with the fiber, I suppose.
I think I'll check out your link and add some items to my grocery list for tonight.
Thanks again!

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I love fiber bars! I get the Active Lifestyle bars, with oats and chocolate, and they've actually become my main tasty treat. I try to eat one a day, to avoid difficulties.

It did take some getting used to them... the first time I tried one, I thought it was too tough to chew. But I've come to enjoy the complicated texture.

Oats and chocolate sounds wonderful!

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I love the Oats and Chocolate, and the peanut butter one. I think I'm going to give them up, though, because they don't just make me gassy--they make me feel like a volcano is rumbling in my gut and I need to stick close to the bathroom starting a few hours after I eat one. I've tried for several months to work up to the amount of fiber, to eat on every second or thrid day. It doesn't matter; they still give me explosive, rumbly tummy. I got a big box at Costco and I think I'll give the remainder to my son who has an iron constitution.

I love the way they taste and they make a filling morning snack, but I just don't want to deal with the volcanic belly!

Gosh, I don't blame you! I could imagine that is awful!

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I love the chocolate one :) Never really had a stomach problem with them but I don't eat them a lot. They are good for a quick-gotta run after the 3 small kids that are going in 3 different directions kind of snack lol

Sounds like they may be right up my alley..lol. My youngest has mastered crawling, and he is becoming quite the escape artist. Gets down the hall far too quickly!

melwolfe
06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I like the apple and strawberry Fiber One bars, but definitely only eat 1 a day or 1 early and 1 late otherwise my tummy is not good and I don't eat them as often as I once was.

I too was/am a picky eater. However play around with recipes, indgredients, etc. you'll be surprised. My hubby and I went out to Chilis last night. I was good and ordered the guiltless grill chicken and my hubby ordered his usual chicken fried steak, with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy over everything. The chicken and rice was really really bland and I had a bite of his potatoes, it just didn't taste good (I used to love those potatoes and gravy) even my honey said the food wasn't that good. I think since we've been eating so much better at home our tastes have changed so that all the oil, grease and yuckiness just doesn't taste that good anymore.

Either way, good luck to you and keep up the good work.

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I like the apple and strawberry Fiber One bars, but definitely only eat 1 a day or 1 early and 1 late otherwise my tummy is not good and I don't eat them as often as I once was.

I too was/am a picky eater. However play around with recipes, indgredients, etc. you'll be surprised. My hubby and I went out to Chilis last night. I was good and ordered the guiltless grill chicken and my hubby ordered his usual chicken fried steak, with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy over everything. The chicken and rice was really really bland and I had a bite of his potatoes, it just didn't taste good (I used to love those potatoes and gravy) even my honey said the food wasn't that good. I think since we've been eating so much better at home our tastes have changed so that all the oil, grease and yuckiness just doesn't taste that good anymore.

Either way, good luck to you and keep up the good work.

Thanks so much! I'm also learning to dislike some of my older food choices. I just won't eat fast food. Just looking at the grease in those burgers makes me feel sick! I'm glad it works that way..makes it easier to stay OP. :D

Alana in Canada
06-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Mel, by all means, post your food for the day. Perhaps we can give you suggestions about what to eat. Metamucil can also help with fiber--but I really think your best bet is lots of fruit and veggies. I'm glad Robin gave you a link to high Fibre ones.

For what it's worth: I have a tipped uterus. Doesn't mean a thing except that for a few days before my period I'm constipated. It helps to eat my strawberries and kidney beans....but back in the days when I didn't eat fruit and considered a vegetable a torture device (though I have NO CLUE why, anymore) there were days when I was extremely uncomfortable--to the point of pain.

Read up on nutition, sweetie. Your children need well balanced meals, too. :book2:

CLCSC145
06-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Another vote for FiberOne cereal. I often have a serving of the original kind just to help boost my fiber intake for the day. It's like 60 calories before the milk.

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Whats sad is my son eats a million times better than I do. He isn't too picky, really. Eats fruits and veggies. Different meats. Gage, well he eats Gerbers #2 baby food..lol.

Here is a what I ate one day that I have written down:
Breakfast: 2 waffles w/ syrup
Bacon
Lunch: Bologna & Cheese sandwich
Serving of Light Ruffles
1/2 c WW Yogurt
Snack: Popcorn

Dinner: Jambalaya

Out of the 32 points a day I should be getting with WW, I only used 24 that day.

That all sounds terribly lame now that I have to write it out for everyone to see.

Edited to add that majority of days I have a lot of my points left over, but I'm unsure of what I should eat to use more. I don't want to just waste points on crappy stuff.

MugCanDoIt
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes I love Fiber One Bars, but only the PEANUT BUTTER AND OAT flavor. They are sooooo yummy! And yes, they give me gas....and warning.....dont eat on an empty stomache. Make sure you;ve had some food earlier in the day before you eat any.

Heres a link for a coupon.....every cent counts, right? http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/coupons/

mel hughes
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes I love Fiber One Bars, but only the PEANUT BUTTER AND OAT flavor. They are sooooo yummy! And yes, they give me gas....and warning.....dont eat on an empty stomache. Make sure you;ve had some food earlier in the day before you eat any.

Heres a link for a coupon.....every cent counts, right? http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/coupons/

Thanks so much! Saving money is my biggest struggle in buying healthier food..

Tracy
06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I really like the carmel ones. I went on a binge one night w/them. Not a good idea.:eek:

LitChick
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
This is the first I've heard of these bars causing such gastro-intestinal issues! I guess I am not overly sensitive to the fiber or something ...

Anyway, I have tried a few varieties of the Fiber One bars and the only one I really like is the Oats and Chocolate. I used to eat them a lot but not so much now.

As for your daily food intake, I would say up your intake of fruits and veggies (maybe try some new things or things you haven't had in a while - maybe your tastes have changed or you just haven't found the fruits/veggies you like yet), and maybe more dairy? Are you meeting most/all of your daily WW food requirements? (dairy, lean protein, veggies, etc.) That could help you make your daily points quota.

melwolfe
06-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Definitely add some fruits and veggies in there. In the morning you could add a yogurt and some apples along with the waffles. Lunch try a salad with some chicken or turkey, hard boiled egg, cucumbers and a little cheese.

I also have to have a morning, afternoon and evening snack. You could have apples, kiwis, grapes, strawberries or a banana as your morning snack. All of these things would up your points a little as well as add some fiber to your diet.

I also really really like these muffin mixes I get from http://southavenfarm.com/ you add your own milk, yogurt and splenda or sugar. You can get 16 muffins for most of them and they're really really good! I love the cinnamon and the oat bran. The oat bran I make into banana or blueberry usually! Yummmmy!

EyeSing
06-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I used to eat the fiber one bars, but thought they were a little sweet. I changed to the cereal, but I munch on it dry as an evening snack. That way I am home if I... feel... the... need....

seashell
06-15-2009, 10:59 AM
I love Fiber one bars!!!! Sadly, I can't eat them on Atkins. . .