Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default I need some advice!

Hi guys!

My weight loss has been going extremely well, so far! I'm really proud of myself for my sudden and prolonged motivation. But I've come across a problem. I NEED to quit smoking. I can't afford it anymore, it's gross, and I plan on living to a very ripe old age.

Have any of you ever quit smoking while you were actively trying to lose weight? I've quit before and have put on a crazy amount of weight in a very short time period. But I was not on any sort of diet at the time. This time, I'm counting calories and really watching what I eat. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this!

I also realize that gaining a few pounds is hardly as detrimental as smoking. I just feel like my priorities are a little bit backwards. I'd be terribly let down if I gained all the weight I lost back, and I'd probably revert back to smoking.

What do you think?
missgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

well, i dont have any advice for you...just wanting to chime in that i am in the same boat as you are!! I REALLY need/want to quit smoking, but im scared to try right now because im on a diet-- trying to lose weight also...im really worried that quitting right now will be detrimental to my diet!! i think all of the nicotine gum has sugar in it too, which i cant have...SO...do i wait till i lose the weight? i just dont know...
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  

I'm already regretting it. 4 hours have gone by and it seems like it's been 4 years. Don't do it!!!! Save yourself!!!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #4  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat. However, I choose to work on the weight loss first. I KNOW, I NEED to quit smoking but I simply couldn't give them up and lose the weight at the same time. Some people can, but I knew, I couldn't. However, I WILL quit when I hit my first goal at 150 or when I feel like, I have a firm grip on my new lifestyle. Which ever comes first....

Good luck with quitting though!
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #5  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Now seems like the best time to quit. You are already improving your eating so it should be simpler to integrate the 2 process.
When you have a ciggy craving go snack or a celery or something. Your lungs and your knees will thank you.
And save the ciggy money for some goal clothes.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

I chose the opposite way and quit before losing the weight, not so much as a conscious choice but I knew when I quit, it was time to quit amd now it's time to lose weight so that's what I'm doing. I believe it's better to commit to one thing at a time, making huge sweeping changes all at once doesn't usually work well or last for the majority of people. Pick one, concentrate and give it your all then move onto the next one. Both are hugely beneficial. Good luck.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

I quit smoking when I was on a diet. I lost some weight and whenever I wanted a cigarette I went for a walk instead. I lost 27 pounds the first month and have been a nonsmoker for 15 years now.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #8  

I quit in February, while also changing eating habits and starting to count calories. I think it's probably why I haven't lost as much as I could, but I've still lost a good deal of weight in the last 6 months, so I'm good with it.

I took Chantix, and very rarely had the urge for a smoke - I often had the urge to put something in my mouth though.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #9  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

When one of my friends quit smoking, she took a straw, cut about the size of a cigarette, and stuffed it with tissue paper. Apparently it had the same feel and helped her with the whole wanting to hold something issue.

Good luck!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #10  

Thanks everyone. I have to admit I'm really impressed with those of you that managed to lose weight while quitting. I'm happy to hear it can be done!

Now only if I was in a better mood! I really hate the psychosis that comes on with quitting.

KnitALisa - that's a great idea! I think I'll actually try that.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #11  

I read that the actual nicotine addiction is gone in 3 days. You're 1 day into that, you can do this! Yoga helped me get rid of the crankies. DH quit at the same time, and he found playing a violent video game helped with his aggression.

We also should have bought stock in a gum company. I stashed gum everywhere in the house, cars, and work. I still keep a pack of gum in my car where I used to keep my smokes, because driving was a huge trigger for me.

I stopped carrying cash for the first few weeks. I found if I had cash, and wouldn't have to justify it to my bank account, it was easier to be "ok" with stopping and buying smokes.

The weekend we decided to quit, I washed everything in our house. It all smelled like smoke, so it was miserable to be at home. Once I cleaned everything including the carpets, it was easier.

My friends, family, and co-workers kept me accountable. If I went out to my car to grab something, they would ask me what I was getting, where I was going, etc. It was annoying, but it also made me have to make a conscious decision not to smoke once I was outside.

I won't lie to you, you're going to have a rough few days if you're anything like me. But you CAN do this, and once you do, you'll feel SO MUCH BETTER!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 221/200/145

Height: 5'7"

Oh man I'm in that same boat. It's funny because I am 50 plus pounds over weight. Does the hubby nag me about that? Nope. Smoking? Oh yeah. Day in day out he asks me to quit. I'm the type of person I go psychotic when I don't have a cig. Or if I have one left and can't get to the store. Major crazies. I scared my husband so badly that he went and bought me a pack just to calm me down. Cigs are my binkies.

If anyone has great ideas on how to sleep thought three days of nic withdral, let me know. Please. Cause that's bout the only way I'll make it. Sigh. One health problem after another. LOL
sexybak96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #13  

DH and I used Chantix, it was amazing. Hardly any physical withdrawal symptoms at all. A few psychological ones, but the above mentioned straw, or gum could easily take care of those. We both had big conversations with our doctor before we quit since previous attempts to do it on willpower hadn't worked.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

First of all - congratulations for wanting to quit!! An excellent choice for your wallet *and* health!

Allen Carr worked for me - it so made sense!

Re. weight loss, I think everybody is different. I gained 10lb, others gained less, more or nothign at all. Maybe you want to aim at manitaining your weight for the first 3 months rather than trying to lose and maybe be disappointed?
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #15  

So it's been 2 days now, how are you doing?

Quitting smoking, imo, is like losing weight. If you fall into old habits just start over, don't beat yourself up about it. And support certainly doesn't hurt!