20-Somethings - Water Weight from running?? Not sure and so upset!

Shannon1983
06-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

As i have posted before i just started jogging/walking where my grandparents live. I was just walking before but now i am getting alot more jogging in and going further each time. I have been totally watching what i am eating. Drinking only water. I got on the scale and i was up about 4 pounds.. I could have cried.. I am wondering if this could be water weight from starting to jog? My legs are awful sore and my thighs are as well. I thought i would be down 3-4 this week not up... Just has me really upset.

Did any of you ever experiance weight gain when running and the other question is should i drink more water after i jog?

Thanks all!!:(

Marms
06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Probably is water. I go on 4 hours or more hikes on weekends and I still weigh a few more pounds when I get home, even if I'm not sore. It's only temporary so don't give up!

forestroad
06-13-2009, 11:12 AM
this happens to me too. I come home from running/hiking and feel so bloated...I actually measured yesterday after this happened and I think my abdomen had swollen a half inch! Don't worry just yet tho; in the long run I'm sure you'll see results. For me a week has always been too soon to notice results, anyway. Usually I start seeing them after about a month.

Secret Swan
06-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes! When I started this I did the elliptical every night for an hour. Result? Steady weight loss, slowing some over time, as is inevitable. Then this week I did a free trial of a gym, and thought I would try the treadmill. I ran 1.5 miles in 20 minutes the first day! I went home glowing with sweat and pride. The next day I gained a couple of pounds. No problem, I said. Well, first I freaked out, but I am trying to be very calm and nonobsessive with this, so let's pretend I took it calmly. So I went back to the gym and ran two miles! Man, I was HIGH! And my weight was still up the next day. That was the end of my free trial, so yesterday I just walked the dog and did nothing else. Result? Down to half a pound below the prerunning weight. So should I stop running? Heck no! It'll adjust, eventually, but I would rather panic and have thatoment of running triumph than be cool, collected, and unwilling to try to run longer.

Secret Swan
06-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh, and yes, drink more water. It can only help.

19Deltawifey
06-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Yup its totally normal. Ive been working out for a while but I just recently started running outside and my weight goes up 1.5 lbs its a little discouraging but Im at my heaviest weight ever so Im determined not to give up. Your doing great and just keep up the good work and you will eventually see results :)

Shannon1983
06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Is it true that sore muscles absorb more water to heal? This just really has me bugged. I was averaging about 2-3 pounds a week loss.

I am just trying to figure out what i am doing wrong cause i didnt think i was till i did my once a week weigh in today.

Shannon1983
06-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Ok so now i am just totally upset.. scale still didnt drop any..
I am wondering if any of you have gained weight after starting to exercise and if so how long did it take to get it off??
I am guessing this is just water weight??? HELP, i am soooo frusturated!!

spikedpunch
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Yep, you muscles can definitely retain water while they're healing themselves. Plus, if this is a brand new routine, your body may be resisting the change. I doubt there's any scientific evidence to back that assumption up; just something I've noticed about myself. I'd keep at it for another week or so and see what happens.

Lizzyg
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I know for me, whenever I start working out after a few months of not doing much, or change from one type of work out to another, I always gain weight. In like, Feb or something, I started back working out after about 2 months of not working out. I had been maintaining my current WL at the time, then gained 6 lbs the week I started working out again. It was also that time of the month, and so I'm sure that helped. It took me about 2 weeks to lose those 6 lbs I gained, and then started losing again.

:hug:

Shannon1983
06-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your answers.. I appreciate it.. I just feel like i am not getting anywhere since the scale went up.. I am sure you all understand what i mean.

Thanks all

rosekeet
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I do weight watchers and they always say to gain is NORMAL after starting to work out or changing routines. Drinking more water can't hurt and don't worry! the weight will come off! Also, muscle is denser than fat, so be sure to measure yourself and see if your clothes fit differently. You might be losing inches but not necessarily pounds. If you replaced 1lb fat with 1lb muscle, you'd weight the same, but be smaller.

Primm
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I ramped up my exercise (decided to train for a 10k) 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I was up. Last week I was STILL up!

It wasn't until today that I dropped it. So expect that as your body gets used to the extra exercise it won't retain as much.

Oh, and definitely drink lots of water to flush out the toxins, and so your body doesn't "panic" and try and retain all it can get.

Aurora
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I can't remember where I read this, but apparently putting your legs up when you are sitting/laying down can help reduce water weight from swollen muscles.

JulieRN
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
It is SO hard to see gains like that on the scale, I was just posting earlier about not seeing my loss fast enough on the scale, but it doesn't mean your body isn't changing. You may not lose the water weight in one day. I wouldn't be concerned unless it was around for a week or more... then I would start questioning my diet.

DanielleAshley
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
yep u can almost bet if ur muscles r sore the scale is going to see a slight gain but water weight goes away quickly and while ur building more muscle the fat is going to just start melting off.. give the scale time to catch up!

Shannon1983
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I hope everyone is right with this.. i am actually stressed about it.. It is actually driving me NUTS!!!.. I totally know my diet is in check and ok. It just gets me upset because all i want to see is the scale drop. Even if it is a pound. I feel like if i see it drop then i know i am doing well. totally a mental thing i know..

forestroad
06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Hang in there. I'm doing a metabolism test on Thursday, and I'm not supposed to exercise for 48hrs beforehand, which is throwing off my routine and I really want to see a loss this week, but I know doing the test the right way is going to be better for me in the long run.

forestroad
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I was just reading this article in the Fitness-weight and resistance training forum and thought you might find this information useful; you probably already know most of it:

"Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it’s packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it’s stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it’s associated water. It’s normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you’re prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

This brings us to the scale’s sneakiest attribute. It doesn’t just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you’ve lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you’re just sitting around. That’s one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn’t differentiate between the two. It can’t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don’t be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It’s a matter of mind over scale. "

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23901

munchievictim
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I think you just need to relax, ignore the scale, and keep doing what you're doing. Look at it this way--your body is going to be far healthier with the benefit of the running than without it, whether the scale goes up or not. And, if you stick to the running, the weight will eventually go. I think what happens with a lot of people (myself included) is that after a week or two with no big changes (or the wrong kind of big changes!), they'll just throw their hands up in the air and assume that it simply doesn't work for them. This is obviously false, running over a long period of time is not going to cause your weight to rise, it will only cause you to lose or at least become a much healthier person, inside and out. Do not let the scale dictate your progress, it's only one indication of change.