Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Question OT: Gel Nails

Anyone have gel nails?? Or lcn nails (european gel brand which is a little bit different)???

I'm thinking abt getting them and was wondering what people's thoughts were on them. Good, bad, anything???
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I've had them before. I love how they look, but keeping them up wasn't worth it to me. Just make sure you find a place that does a good job - at some places, you'll end up with thick chunkers, bubbles, or lifting in the first week. I lucked out and found this place where the girl does them almost as thin as your regular nails, and they last a long time. Also, if you don't keep getting them, your nails will have to grow in new before they stop looking damaged.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

I don't like it. I keep my natural nails quite long (about a 1/4" longer than the fingertip) and used to get french manicures where they would coat my natural nails with the gel after they bleached and painted the tips white. It made them thick, and I couldn't scratch or grab at anything. Plus it made them so rigid that everything made them break. Plus doing that to your nails causes a lot of damage, and it's expensive to maintain.

Honestly you're better off just growing them out and doing manicures at home. That's what I do now, and still give myself french tips by painting them white, then just coat them with Sally Hansen Maximum Growth with green tea. 10 minutes of my time and $6 for supplies which can all be found at Walgreens.

Last edited by NishKitten; 06-12-2009 at 03:15 PM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #4  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I agree with Nishkitten. I have never liked fake nails, anyway.... i always feel they look.... fake. My natural nails need to breathe!!! I just grow them to my desired length and keep them like that. Occasionally one may break but within a month it's back to where it was..... way easier on the pocketbook too and if you don't feel like maintaining your manicure you don't have to, since you can just go au naturale for awhile.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #5  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

I have acrylic nails. I have had them since i was 14. I love them. The place i go to here is known for making them look natural and i always get a french manicue on mine. I have been doing the same with my toes since i was 16. I have to go in every 4 weeks and get them filled in. I do that and my pedicure and it runs about 70.00 with a tip for the nail lady kim. I think it is all in preference. I just think that they are worth it. I have never smoked and i dont drink so i totally think i am worth 70.00 a month. I do have my nail tips switched ever 4 months. I know you can go so much longer but i have not had an infections or nail issues doing that way.

I think it is all in what you want.. Best of luck to you in your decision
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

I've tried the gail nails. Mine ended up with the little bubbles in them. I definitely preferred solar nails. Now though, I grow out my natural ones and manicure them myself. Tips just aren't my thing anymore.
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I used to get acrylic nails, but gave it up. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere (like on my ridiculous movie habit) and my nails were so damaged whenever I took them off. I also use Sally Hansen Maximum growth, it keeps them longish and healthy.

But, as Shannon said, its up to you - if you like the look and don't mind paying to maintain them, why not?
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #8  

I have to agree, for about two years I was HUGE into getting tips on and I went every 2 weeks to get them filled. They are cute but the damage it did to my natural nails is no joke. Now I just manicure my own nails about once a week and I'm saving a ton of money. Plus it's more fun to me to be able to change my nail color whenever I want!
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #9  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I had them for a little while and they looked great! I couldn't afford to maintain them, though. My natural nails are strong and nicely shaped so I gave up. My mom has really weak weird looking natural nails. She get's the gels and really likes it. I think it's up to you. I say, if you can afford it why not give it a try?
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had the pink and white gels for my wedding. I'm glad I did them for my wedding, but I wouldn't have them normally. Too much maintenance and I like healthy nails
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have gel nails that are called "angel love". I like them, but they are not as strong as acrylic. I would do some research and go to a place that does not do too much damage to your nails.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote