Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Question about blood sugars

Hi all.

I'm not diabetic or even insulin resistant, but for a while I was taking metformin for weight loss. I stopped taking it about a week ago because my blood sugar started crashing really bad (got the shakes and a sneaky hypo attack). My fasting is 4.5, which the tech said was pretty low, but not hypoglycemic.

Anyway, I had a big dinner tonight: Mongolian BBQ. It was mostly meat and seafood based with some veggies and noodles, so not too high a GI dinner, and a pancake with ice cream and syrup for dinner.

Got to my mate's house (she does have diabetes type II) and tested my sugar. 4.6 was the sugar after about an hour and a half from dinner.

My question is: is this normal? I know it's normal sugar level, but to have my sugar so close to my fasting after an hour and a half?

Thanks.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Seems a bit low to me but I AM diabetic. It could be that the Met is still in your system. I'd check it again after a similar meal.

I have never heard of Met being prescribed for weightloss. It sure doesn't work that way with me, alas!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

Yes, it is very normal! 4.6 mmol/l is equal to about 83 mg/dl, which is the low end of normal. For people with diabetes, it usually takes a while to bring blood sugar back down after a meal but if you do not have diabetes, then it is perfectly normal for your body to naturally bring your blood sugar back down to the "fasting" range after an hour or so. Your body is just doing it's job and USING the sugar from your food, rather than letting it spill into your blood.

Unless you are feeling ill (shaky, dizzy, sweating, etc.) I would not worry!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote