20-Somethings - Thigh Rubbing!!

View Full Version : Thigh Rubbing!!

Phatty
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I absolutely hate it!

I'm sure you who have the same problem hate it as well..

I've always been a chubby girl ever since I was a kid so this has ALWAYS been an issue..so much that I have darker skin in between my thighs and its very embarrassing and makes me really really self conscious..does anyone know of any product or home remedy that can treat it? I really want to make sure that even when I lose all the weight that I still wont be embarrassed to wear shorts or a bathing suit...:mad:

stellarosa27
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Bathing suit I'm usually okay with b/c I don't walk around a lot, but for shorts I either avoid the ones that don't go down to my knees or I put baby powder on my thighs.

Thank goodness for NY&Co making those Bermuda shorts more popular - I have about 4 pairs of them and they are my saving grace in the summer. Previously I just wore long pants. All the time.

When I wear a skirt, I either wear bike shorts or spanx underneath. I'm a former Catholic-school girl, so I'm used to having shorts on underneath my skirts anyway.

starfishkitty
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I hate that too! Not so much the thigh rubbing, because they don't rub THAT bad.... but the darker skin! I've noticed it as well, and it makes me extremely self conscious to be intimate with a guy..... makes me feel like it looks dirty! If anyone knows anything can make that better I'd love you forever!

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I hear ya! I have definitely reached bike shorts range... I always keep baby powder in my purse just in case.... I AM SO DONE WITH THIGH CHAFING! I always spend extra time on the hip adductor/abductor in the gym because i just want that spot on my body firm. It has gotten to the point where going to my sorority formals means praying i don't sweat too much and end up with that awful pain.

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 10:08 PM
so let's LOSE THE WEIGHT and firm those muscles, ladies!!!!! praying that one day we may walk without touching thighs :D

stellarosa27
06-11-2009, 10:14 PM
It has gotten to the point where going to my sorority formals means praying i don't sweat too much and end up with that awful pain.

Have you ever tried Spanx?

They're like stockings, except they're shorts. They come in different lengths, you can get them down to your knees, down to your calves, or even down to your ankles. They are like my saving grace when it comes to wearing a skirt, and you get the added benefit of a little slimming in your thighs and tummy. Honestly, I really just care that I don't have burn marks on my thighs.

Phatty
06-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Well losing the fat in between my thighs and toning it up there is definitely what I want..but I mean for after I do so how can I get rid of that darker skin that remains?

starfishkitty
06-11-2009, 10:29 PM
That's what I want to know too Phatty!

And as for Spanx..... I dislike having any kind of synthetic material against my underbody area...... after doing that for a year and having yeast infection after yeast infection from none breathing..... no thank you!

loveDC425
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
omgg i have the same problem.. im so embarrassed about being intimate with a guy for that reason too. and if I am i need to be typsy =(. AND the lights OFF... i wonder the same.. what will happen to the area once we loose the weight? I wish there was a magic cream.

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah thanks for the spanx suggestion! honestly i think it's just time to lose it down there :) but i've never had the problem of darker skin (at least, none that I've noticed??). Do you think it's left over from chafing? It may go away with time, perhaps, since it's just a superficial, and not deep rooted, marking.

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
ps a bunch of my jeans have also rubbed out between the thighs to the point where the fabric is now filled with holes! It's not like i can put patches on my inner thighs. I guess I need new jeans, but I'll put off buying them till fall so that I can buy SMALLER sizes!!! woo!

forestroad
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Even when I was skinny my thighs still rubbed together...Just saw some pics of Meital Dohan who is gorgeous and fit and yet looks like she probably still has that problem. I will be getting myself some spanx as soon as I can afford some.

forestroad
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I actually just checked and I definitely had those darker patches (my boyfriend commented a while ago) but now they appear to be very faded after a winter of not wearing skirts very much. So maybe there's hope...

stellarosa27
06-11-2009, 11:01 PM
My thighs have never not rubbed together and I don't have dark patches. I do try and keep fabric between them as much as possible.

Phatty
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I heard about this cream on this website..called arizona4pinoys

but I'm not big on trusting internet sites ..and IDK anyone who has used their products or knows someone..or knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that has used it..lol......

classicrock
06-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't know if you all know of this or not, but I just discovered it. It's called "Body Glide" and it's an anti-chafing deodorant type stick that you rub on your thighs (or other areas) to prevent chafing and pain. I've used it once, and it seemed to work alright (a little wet feeling- not smooth like powder like I had wanted). I got it at Sports Authority, but you can probably find it online. I suspect if you used it enough it might prevent the darkness from getting worse, but I really have no idea. I've tried most of my life not to wear dresses/skirts without leggings or something. I'm hoping this will help :)

smallification
06-12-2009, 06:05 AM
so let's LOSE THE WEIGHT and firm those muscles, ladies!!!!! praying that one day we may walk without touching thighs :D

I don't know; having thighs that touch is normal for lots of women. I doubt I will ever reach a point where mine don't.

Don't worry about it so much, ladies!

NishKitten
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
There is a bleaching cream at Sally's called Topiclear Skin Lightening Cream. It fades dark spots, scars, etc. on skin. Anytime my face breaks out I get left with dark spots, so this is my lifesaver to keeping my complexion even since I don't wear makeup.

They have other facial fade creams, and Ambi which would work for you too and is great stuff. It's in the afro-american section.

TJFitnessDiva
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
The dark patches will fade :) I used to have them where my thighs rubbed together. They still rub together every once in a while but not constantly like they used to.

To keep from chaffing and the patches either wear longer shorts or use a product like the body glide someone has already mentioned.

Thighs Be Gone
06-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Thigh challenged here. Better times are ahead. You are doing well moving towards your goal. I bet when you get there you won't worry about those thighs as much!

You might want to try Goldbond medicated powder. I have also read about rubbing stick deodorant over the area and then placing on the powder.

Good luck! :)

Bridgeosaurus
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I hate when my thighs rubbing together means my pants have to suffer. I remember one particularly awesome moment at work when I did a deep squat to pick something up and the thigh area ripped! Luckily I was just about to leave anyway!

Thighs Be Gone
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I hate when my thighs rubbing together means my pants have to suffer. I remember one particularly awesome moment at work when I did a deep squat to pick something up and the thigh area ripped! Luckily I was just about to leave anyway!

Oh, I know what you mean. I cannot tell you how many pairs of pants had to be thrown out because the inside of the thigh area was worn out!

forestroad
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
My dark wash denim jeans that I bought back in August are just starting to rub white and threadbare on the inner thighs...before they actually pop a hole, I'm trying the old pantyhose trick and covering the spots with blue nail polish, then I'll do a coat of clear and see if that helps...I'm not too optimistic but I'll let you know how it goes...at the very least, it should temporarily prevent anyone from noticing the white spots where they're starting to wear away...

How long does it usually take y'all's jeans to wear out? I've never been able to keep a pair (unpatched) for more than a year...

MandiK
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Monistat makes a chafing relief cream that prevents chafing and helps soothe already chafed thighs. It works pretty well. It's a powder gel, so it goes on like a gel, but dries like a powder. I've been using it for a couple years now and am pretty happy with it. You can get it at walgreens (I'm sure they have it at most drug stores) and it's $6 or $7 for a tube. One tube usually lasts me the whole summer.

My husband runs marathons and a lot of marathon runners use body glide. It's a stick that looks like deodorant and is applied like deodorant. He says it works really well so that would be worth checking out too. You can get it at larger sports stores (sports authority has it).

Thighs Be Gone
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
fores, I kept one pair of jeans from my largest size...the inside of the thighs are miraculously still fine..I wore them for two years+

They were Tommy Hilfingers...I know some brands are better than others

stellarosa27
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I had a few pairs of jeans that were like 4 years old. Calvin Kleins (I outlet shop for sales). Even my Express jeans have fared pretty well.

prepping
06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I think I may try that body glide stuff! It could come in handy in the summer.

I used to have the dark patches but they're gone now. So there is hope! I think they started to fade as my legs stopped rubbing together *as much*. They still rub but without the nasty consequences that they once had.

elle w 19
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't know if you all know of this or not, but I just discovered it. It's called "Body Glide" and it's an anti-chafing deodorant type stick that you rub on your thighs (or other areas) to prevent chafing and pain. I've used it once, and it seemed to work alright (a little wet feeling- not smooth like powder like I had wanted). I got it at Sports Authority, but you can probably find it online. I suspect if you used it enough it might prevent the darkness from getting worse, but I really have no idea. I've tried most of my life not to wear dresses/skirts without leggings or something. I'm hoping this will help :)

I live in Los Angeles...it's warm all the time so I can't avoid wearing skirts and stuff and I SWEAR BY this product for runners called "Sport Shield."

It's a competitor of "Body Glide" but I like it SO much better. Body Glide is waxy (I hated it) but Sport Shield is silky, feels light, and is silicone based. It's packaged like a liquid deodorant and you don't need much to last you through the day.

I actually started a thread about this several weeks ago because I wanted to share my "Sport Shield" secret and a lot of other ladies added their secrets. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171268

Hope you find something that works for you!

Phatty
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
There is a bleaching cream at Sally's called Topiclear Skin Lightening Cream. It fades dark spots, scars, etc. on skin. Anytime my face breaks out I get left with dark spots, so this is my lifesaver to keeping my complexion even since I don't wear makeup.

They have other facial fade creams, and Ambi which would work for you too and is great stuff. It's in the afro-american section.

Nicee!

how much is the cream?

megwini
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Until a few months ago I didn't even realize some women had thighs that didn't touch. I never associated it with me being overweight. I don't put that much weight in my legs, either, so maybe mine just naturally touch. Here's to tights!

rosekeet
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Thighs that don't touch? I'm convinced it's a myth. I just bought some hanes cotton "boxer brief" style underwear. They're like shorts and super comfortable. Maybe that would help. Or, maybe you could ask your dermatologist what they recommend about the dark skin.

classicrock
06-13-2009, 01:56 AM
I live in Los Angeles...it's warm all the time so I can't avoid wearing skirts and stuff and I SWEAR BY this product for runners called "Sport Shield."

It's a competitor of "Body Glide" but I like it SO much better. Body Glide is waxy (I hated it) but Sport Shield is silky, feels light, and is silicone based. It's packaged like a liquid deodorant and you don't need much to last you through the day.

Ah, great! I live in central florida (super hot and SUPER humid!), so I know what you mean. If this doesn't work out for me, I'll definitely have to try that. Thanks!!

helwa588
06-13-2009, 04:13 AM
i have the dark skin between my thighs as well. but mines is really dark due to my eczema. when i was heavier i use to get cuts between my thighs that use to sting for days.

NishKitten
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Nicee!

how much is the cream?

$2-$7 depending on which one you get and the size.

And as for thighs not touching, they aren't a myth. Standing with my feet normal walking distance apart (about 3-4 inches??) even at my heaviest weight, only the little fat parts right up at crotch level even dared to brush slightly. Unless I stand with my knees pressed together, they don't touch. That being said, however, I strongly believe that my 14 some-odd years of ballet training has everything to do with my legs looking the way they do so i'm probably the extreme exception to the norm.

Star2Be
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
OMG YES, I absolutely abhor thigh rubbing... It used to be the bane of my existence; any time I wore a skirt/dress without shorts underneath, I ended up with the most stingy rash-like thing all over my legs. Even if I wore tights/nylons, they would inevitably be too small, so the fibers of the tights would run together when my thighs rubbed together and make an even more painful rash! Ouch! :( And I never quite got the hang of using baby powder, so I pretty much wore shorts whenever I absolutely *had* to wear a skirt/dress, but otherwise avoided wearing anything else but pants at ALL costs! And yeah, the jeans thing? One year used to be pretty much the very maximum life-span of a pair of jeans for me, but I was usually lucky even to get that much wear out of them. The fabric in the thighs always got reeeeeally really worn and thin, until finally one day I'd squat in the wrong place at the wrong time and *rrrrrip*--bye bye jeans! Ugh. It was so annoying (and expensive!) to have to replace my pants so often... I'd try to mend them, but never figured out a way to do it that didn't make it totally obvious. :o

I am very pleased to report that this has become much less of a problem for me now that I've lost most of the weight... My thighs are still ridiculously droopy and saggy (oh heeey loose skin! :rolleyes:), but definitely don't rub together nearly as much as they used to. When I'm walking normally, they really don't rub together at all, and if I'm standing normally they only touch at the very very tops. And if I bring my feet together, there's actually an open space between my knees and thighs! :eek: Needless to say, skirts/dresses are infinitely more comfortable--actually, I pretty much LIVE in dresses now; I swear I wear one at least like twice a week, LOL. ;) It's so funny how much my style has changed just from losing weight... :dizzy:

It's weird, I actually had an experience a couple weeks ago where I accidentally bought a too-small pair of nylons but wore them for a day anyways, and I got somewhat of a rash from the fibers rubbing together, etc. I hadn't had that in a looong time, and it totally jogged my memory, like Wow, this is what I used to go through *every* time I wore a dress... I definitely will not be missing those days!! :snooty:

losingit111
06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi ladies, the dark patches may be something called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is a condition where the skin becomes darker and thicker in places like the underarms, between thighs, back of neck etc.

Most of what I have read says that Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) is related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. I have read that in some cases the dark patches can fade or even disappear with control of blood sugar levels and with weight loss. It is possible that the dark patches you have may be AN.

Note: Having AN does NOT mean you have diabetes. Please do some research or check with your doctor if you have concerns about this.

I really wanted to let you know about this as soon as I read this thread because I have these patches too and have had them since I was a teenager (I am now in my mid twenties.) I have a famly history of diabetes, and most of my weight is on my tummy (people with insulin resistance tend to put on fat around the midsection) so I am failry certain my dark patches are AN. I am now on a low carb diet and hope that the patches will fade once I get down to normal weight.

I hope this information helps!!

Phatty
06-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi ladies, the dark patches may be something called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is a condition where the skin becomes darker and thicker in places like the underarms, between thighs, back of neck etc.

Most of what I have read says that Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) is related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. I have read that in some cases the dark patches can fade or even disappear with control of blood sugar levels and with weight loss. It is possible that the dark patches you have may be AN.

Note: Having AN does NOT mean you have diabetes. Please do some research or check with your doctor if you have concerns about this.

I really wanted to let you know about this as soon as I read this thread because I have these patches too and have had them since I was a teenager (I am now in my mid twenties.) I have a famly history of diabetes, and most of my weight is on my tummy (people with insulin resistance tend to put on fat around the midsection) so I am failry certain my dark patches are AN. I am now on a low carb diet and hope that the patches will fade once I get down to normal weight.

Very interesting..thanks

joyinSF
07-08-2009, 07:34 PM
ahaha omg ! i was cracking up wheni saw this thread!
ive got a couple of expensive *** seven jeans and in the thigh area, its all thinned out from my inner thighs rubbing eachother..lol..ahahah...oh well...time to buy new jeans..you girls crack me up

Skinnycow
07-08-2009, 08:04 PM
My thighs will always rub. When I was in Jr. High, I was 5' 11'' and only weighed 115 lbs, and they still rubbed! I always wear some kind of shorts under my skirts or dresses.

joyra
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
My thighs have always rubbed together too but it was when I was above 150 lbs that it became a real problem--I've been this weight for the past 5 years and have rubbed out the inner thighs of ALL of my pants and canNOT go without bike shorts beneath a skirt of I'll get a horrible chafing rash.

When I was in the 140s, I do not remember it being such a problem... I really want to drop 10 lbs ASAP so I can go out and enjoy the summer a little more!

nooch
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Monistat chafing gel is amazing! And you can use it as a makeup primer if you are into that sort of thing.

I used to get such bad chub rub that I would bleed. I know some of you might be eating so I'll leave it at that, but it was BAD.

SweetScrumptious
07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Been through countless pairs of jeans because of the fabric thinning from my rubbing! Can't wait for this problem to be solved so I can wear my jeans for MUCH longer

stargzr
07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I know it might sounds silly, but I had no idea that this wasn't a problem for people! I wear through the inner thighs of my jeans too! I figured it was just the dumb jean manufacturer who'd made them. It's nice to know that it's possible that once I'm at a healthy weight this won't be an issue anymore. If it's true for me that means I can spend a bit more on a better quality/fit of jeans once at my goal.
Now that's exciting!!

Jelbb
07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Get this. I'm slightly knock-kneed (http://www.zimmer.co.za/web/images/patient_education/Osteoarthritis2.jpg). So standing feet a normal, comfortable distance apart from each other, my thighs touch almost all the way down to my knees.

Case in point, my legs: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/jelbee/Photo331.jpg

If ANYONE knows how craptastic thigh-rubbing is, it's me, lol. :p Sometimes it's almost like my thighs get CAUGHT on each other. When I went to the doctor to have my leg pain diagnosed, and he made me walk around in my underwear, I was mortified; all I could think of was my freakin' thighs rubbing and catching and how icky it was, hehehe. :D

AND, I too have the jeans wearing out in the thigh issue! What a pain! Especially when you buy a nice pair of $80 jeans!

I oftentimes wear the Spanx that go right halfway down your thigh, because it keeps your thighs from rubbing/hurting. :)

...but does anyone else feel embarrassed when people TOUCH you while you're wearing spanx, because you know you feel like a trampoline? :D

FatGirlTale
07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I have the dark skin, too! The only bonus is that no hair grows where my thighs rub together.

I wear shorts under skirts, too. I was so tired of my skin getting red and puffy from the moisture when its hot and the friction. I also started using baby powder and then cornstarch between my legs. My friend swears by "Prickly Heat" powder. You can find it in some Asian grocery stores.

I hate that my jeans wear out so fast. I've patched a couple pairs, but I can't wear those on casual Fridays.

stellarosa27
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I HEART spanx. And since I live the life of a convent nun, I never have to worry about someone touching them. Not sure that's a good thing though...

Starrynight
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Yes, my family has a history as well and ever since I was a kid, I've always had darker skin in that area and the back of my neck. My physician has always asked about darker areas and also told me the same thing.. but he also said it could be genetic, meaning they won't go away. I've always been considered healthy and not at risk for diabetes, but I've always been encouraged to lose weight to lessen the risk..
I also wish they would go away.. but even when I lost weight and went down to a healthy range.. (under 143 for my height and build), the dark areas just never showed any improvement.. :(
I think because of my south asian background, the dark areas are here to stay.. but I know there are cream/bleaching alternatives.. I think I'm going to wait until I get to goal and maintain it for at least a year or two before I consider that, however.

sarpinking
07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I have ALWAYS had an issue withchaffing. I am in marching band, despite being overweight. And I find that during band camp I always have that problem, sometmes to the point where I can hardly walk without being in pain. And I have to keep trying to pull my shorts up and baby powder things just to get through the day.

There is a powder called Monkey butt. I'm not sure exactly where you can get it. I've only seen it at this Horse store by me. Maybe you can find it online. It's really good. I think it's somewhat medicated to help alleviate the pain and to help heal. I have had some issues with darkening, but Idon't think it's too bad right now. I think it's gone away. It may just be dead skin. Or dying skin.
I know of many girls that use spandex shorts under everything and swear by it. But I'm not sure where to get any.

As for being intimate, it makes me extremely self conscious.

Ughh. Does anyone else feel that being overweight or not feeling sexy at a higher weight makes their sex decrease in quality? I've given it up because I don't even feel good about myself.