20-Somethings - frustrated: 3rd week no loss

View Full Version : frustrated: 3rd week no loss

moralitylikeart
06-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I know everyone hits a plateau eventually but it's incredibly discouraging :/
I'm so ready to break the 150's, I've been exercising and eating OP... though I could step up the exercise and probably will. Any other suggestions?

bindersbee
06-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Up both the exercise and maybe the calories. Sometimes zig-zaging helps. That's where you do your normal lower calories for 3 days then go up by 200-300 or so on day 4.

Although the weights are different, I could have written this post last week (oops, I think I did!) I intensified my exercise and watched my calories more closely. I went 4 weeks without a loss and now I'm suddenly almost 3 pounds lower than I was on Monday. I was also hovering above that next decade down in numbers so I know how frustrating it is!

Hang in there because it's all you can do. Power up your workouts for a week (or, as I tell myself, everyday until *I* break *it*- the plateau). Plateaus give us the opportunity to prove to ourselves how bad we want it and just how dedicated we are to having it. Keep going!

StringBean
06-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Changing my calorie intake has really helped me break a recent, long plateau. I was having about 1200 cals for two or three days, then going up to 1800 for a day etc. I just kept on my normal exercise schedule. I lost two pounds this week, so it's definately working for me. I also want to get out of the 150's!!

forestroad
06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm at the same place, only a decade higher...I want to break into the 150s! Last week was such a tease, I got down to 159 but I think it was water weight bc I keep hovering at 160.

I'm new to the concept of "zig-zagging" but my recent experience is consistent with it working...my last loss came after I got back from vacation where I had been eating more (and exercising less, actually not at all other than rolling over on my beach towel). Yesterday I got off plan a bit and ate a fried burrito, but later that day at the gym I did 70 minutes of intense cardio and wasn't even tired...that burrito must have been like rocket fuel bc usually I'm tired after 50-60mins.

moralitylikeart
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
thank you everyone for the advice!

my only concern is that I don't really log/count my calories, I mean I keep a rough idea throughout the day but my main meal plan is power foods 6 times a day and one "off plan" meal a week... would it work if I added a 4th snack at some point in my day? That would account for about 1-200 calories more :/ Or should I just have a second off plan meal?

fashinjunkie09
06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
sorry that this does not really answer your question, but IMO you should start logging your calories bc thats what works best for me. i lost about 17 lbs from jan to mid-march and i was writing down EVERYTHING that went into my mouth. around mid-march i just got tired of it and started just keeping track in my head. i did not gain any back but just never lost for a bout a month and 1/2. two weeks ago i started writing down everything again in a little notebook i have and i have already lost 4.5 lbs. just a thought!