100 lb. Club - Laxitives...

View Full Version : Laxitives...

cfmama
06-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Do you ever have to take them?

I usually don't but my gall bladder's been acting up so I've been taking my smooth muscle relaxant while also S L O W S down my bowels. Which would be the culprit of the 2+ pounds I've put on in four days (lots of poo in there). I love it when I figure things out.

I take lactulose... and I also purchased a fiber shake tonight from Arbonne (orange flavoured) that has 12 grams of fiber per serving. So I'll start that tomorrow and keep taking it as long as my gall bladder is being a cow.

Jennelle
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM
I had to take a laxative just a few days ago. I think what stopped me up was a high-fiber oatmeal bar (something like 15 g. of fiber per serving!) and not enough water. The last time I had to take a laxative was over 20 years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter and the iron pills I was on for anemia stopped me up. :P

cfmama
06-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't LIKE taking them. I hate being in the bathroom for extended periods of time... but my stomach is killing me right now :(

Devsmama
06-11-2009, 08:01 AM
If you wanna go fast take sodium citrate, I think that's what its called. Mix it with something that you can drink a lot of and you will go in a matter of minutes..

rochemist
06-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I hate them, they take me back to the days I was playing with anorexia and you quit eating and before you know it you are 2 sexonds from going to the doctor. I also found out in the last 3 years pain killers will have the same effect. This is why I eat a high fiber diet.

For constipation this is my plan of action, in order this takes about 12 hours if none of this works then I am in big trouble :( :
1. Prunes (6 a hour)
2. Coffee (large with anything in it)
3. A walk
4. Original Fiber 1 (so effective you won't believe it)
5. Laxative
6. Will not describe or no one will eat for a month ;)

Thighs Be Gone
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
After giving birth, I was put on a stool softener. I think it was called Colace but I am not certain. Anyway, it just made things easier--it didn't make me go. Maybe it will work more gently for you?

Kashi Go Lean Cereal works for certain. OMG--does it work!

Thighs Be Gone
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey, look on the bright side--you are about to have a drop on the scale! :)

Couch
06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I did last week when I was on cold and flu tablets, as codiene effects me badly. I'd do anything to avoid what I went through when I had my wisdom teeth out.

MugCanDoIt
06-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I am beginning to wonder if I need to start drinking Fiber One or something cause I dont go very often anymore. I may have to get me some gentle laxatives too to have on hand for when I need it. Or some metamucil, or something!

Delphi
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
No laxatives for me....all I need is a cup of corn and that's all she wrote. ;)

JayEll
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey cfmama! I would check with the doc before I take a lot of fiber. If your bowel function is slowed down, that might not be the best thing... :yikes:

Jay

harrismm
06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes!!!Narcotic analgesics along with a naughty gallbladder required laxative use with me also!!!Constipation plus gallbladder pain..........not a good combo!!

Jen415
06-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Agree with JayEll....the extra fiber could backfire (so to speak!)

My surgery is in 6 days, so in 5 days I will be doing a lovely bowel prep prescribed by my doc--four Dulcolax tablets the evening before and a suppository the morning of my surgery. You bet I am going to see how much my poo weighs!!

cfmama
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I gave my doctor a call this morning and left a message. I'm holding off of the fiber shake for now but the Lactulose is working already. THANK GOODNESS because yah. That was SUCKING!!!!!!

JulieJ08
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I normally eat high fiber, lots of water and plenty of fat, but I still find that what keeps me the most regular is flaxseed and omega 3 pills.

rochemist
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I love that we can all discuss poo! :lol:

Smiling_Sara
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I've had this issue sometimes too. In fact, I've had it so bad that I've had to take meds for it. BUT, the last time I took something, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like little gremlins were picking away at the lining of my stomach at about 2am. I went to the bathroom, and when I was done I stood up and had one of the worst dizzy spells I can remember. I know I knocked my huge clothes hamper over trying to catch my balance, and I don't remember a lot of what happened after that, only that I did wind up on the floor ( I think I thought I could crawl back to my room ) and I remember sweating, even tho I was not hot or cold. It was scary. Now, I still don't go every day ( which kinda stinks and is uncomfortable ) but not nearly as scary as what I went through last time I took a pill that is sopose to "help" I will put a spoonful of benifiber in my coffee in the am tho sometimes

thistoo
06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I have never had this problem until I started a high protein, low carb diet. Now I am dealing with it periodically, and just yesterday I was starting to think I was going to have to hit the laxatives. But I made a protein shake with psyllium last night and that seems to have done the trick. And how!

synger
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
When I do eat carbs, they're whole grain/high fiber. And I try to put ground flax seed into my breakfast shakes a couple times a week. Plus I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. So I don't have a problem with constipation, though I HAVE noticed that I poo less frequently than I used to.

cfmama
06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I eat whole grain, get around 40 grams of fiber a day, TONS of fruits and veggie but these stupid organ relaxant drugs are seriously kicking my butt :( I actually have to fast today as well for a life insurance nurse to come tonight so it's a good day to drink lots of water and stay in the bathroom ;)

mandalinn82
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm normally very, very predictable in my bathroom habits, but I am having medicine-related issues also (opiate painkillers for my shoulder). I usually solve the issue with a salt water flush, but it's sort of gross, and while I haven't found any research saying it's immediately dangerous, I do worry about side effects and so only do it when I -really- have to, and only then because I have violent reactions to stimulant laxatives (last time I took one, I threw up. For two days).

MugCanDoIt
06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I have never had this problem until I started a high protein, low carb diet. Now I am dealing with it periodically, and just yesterday I was starting to think I was going to have to hit the laxatives. But I made a protein shake with psyllium last night and that seems to have done the trick. And how!

This started for me also when doing this diet....um...I mean "way of life"...

Thighs Be Gone
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Hey, I noticed Julie mentioned the flaxseed. I wanted to give my thumbs up for this too.

I buy the golden flaxseed from the bulk bins and grind it in a coffee grinder. It is full of Omega 3's and definitely "help things along." I usually put it on my breakfast mix in the morning--6-grain cereal, yogurt, almond milk, almonds, blueberries. Maybe TMI, but I have no problem!

The best thing about golden flaxseed--$1.49 for a POUND! That is the cheapest source of natural Omega 3 I know of!

cfmama
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Thighs: thanks for the tip! I'm going to pick some up :)

I was DOWN 2.5 lbs this morning. That's awhole lotta poo