20-Somethings - College Students for weight loss - UNITE!

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Any other college kids out there trying to lose weight? I'm a rising sophomore looking to keep up the good habits and not gain even MORE weight when I get back. It'd be great to have a community that encourages accountability for going to the gym, campus fitness classes, getting enough sleep, eating right in all-you-can-eat dining halls, resisting ordering out at 3am, and holding back from too much of ...certain beverages that pack calories and that we may or may not be of age to consume. :dizzy: I was thinking that we could maybe even come up with a team name and keep a running thread? Post if you want to join in!

freedomreins
06-11-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm a uni student and I'll join you :) I think there are quite a few 20-something students on the board. I've just finished my final year of my undergraduate degree and I'm starting my masters in September. I don't live in halls though, and even when I did, I lived in a self-catered residence so did all my own cooking. That was a blessing in disguise (not least of all because I heard the halls food was pretty awful haha) as it meant I didn't put on the 'freshman fifteen' when I got here. I also have never really been much of a drinker, mainly because I can't afford it. :D Good luck, hopefully you can get a thread going and I'll be here to join you!

DRose
06-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Yes, me me! I'm just finishing my sophomore year and thank god it is my last year in the dorms! WOO HOO :carrot: I'd say the Freshman Fifteen should be renamed to like... the Freshman Twenty-Five or something. I cannot wait to cook for myself. It is SO hard trying to figure out the calories of anything on campus, besides the fact that eating healthy severely limits your choices. Can any tell this has been bothering me? lol *crosses fingers* one day left one day left*

littlelion
06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm a rising senior who is trying to lose about 15lbs this summer before going back to school. So far, I have attempted to set myself up for success in a few ways:
1. I chose to live on-campus right near the gym, so I have no excuse not to go – especially in the winter, when I don’t feel like walking through the slush to get there. So it will only be a few steps away :)
2. I signed up for weight training during both phys ed blocks the first semester, and I want to be ready for the class so I don’t look like a complete wimp, haha. This summer I am working on adding free-weight exercises to my routine so I can build some muscle and improve my strength.
3. I am planning on making the most of my meal plan, since it is required that we choose one (they are all the same price). While I would like to cook at home, I know I’ll be busy and the dining hall has a pretty nice salad bar which I will be taking advantage of every day.
Anyways, that is my plan for school – right now I am just at home for the summer working, and hitting the gym 5-6x/week and walking during lunch. This is my last year of college, and I am determined to be as healthy as possible so I can enjoy myself without being self-conscious!

moralitylikeart
06-11-2009, 08:45 AM
yes yes yes yes
I'm going into my sophomore year this semester, though technically my junior credit wise, and will be taking full advantage of the free gym :] I'm actually moving back at the end of next week for summer b as a resident assistant... so I can hit the gym really soon!

cincimom11
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm a senior. I spent my first two years in the dorms, so I know how easy it is to let things slip! I gained the fresh 10, the sophomore 10, then a bunch of baby weight.

forestroad
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm no longer a college student, but I thought I'd share my experience. I packed on a nice freshman 20, then stayed on campus for a language program over the summer and was able to put it off, and a rough breakup with my freshman year boyfriend actually helped me lose some more sophomore fall till I was at my lowest in like 3 or 4 years. But, a new boyfriend led to packing on another 20, which I then put off over the summer (again I was on campus living in a dorm and eating in an all you can eat dining hall). I went abroad to Spain junior year and packed the pounds back on again, but that summer I fractured my foot and kept gaining instead of putting it off, leading me to graduate my senior year the heaviest I'd ever been, a full 40lbs up from my freshman year weight.

I think I was able to put off weight in the summers bc I took up running outside, and also the food in the dining halls included a lot more fresh fruits and veggies so a typical meal for me would be like turkey, veggies, and hummus in a pita as opposed to the regular academic year when i'd eat maybe a hamburger, a bowl of creamy soup, and a piece of cake. I also went to school in the Northeast (and am originally from MD as well), so Bluebird you might have a similar experience being less active in winter and having healthier foods be less readily available. I think if I were more conscious of what my habits were doing to me at the time, I might have been more proactive about going to the gym.

A word about the gym--this may not be your situation, but the gym at my college was filled with athletes and was always really crowded, and I found that really intimidating. It was also all the way across campus and so except for the few times I went on fitness kicks, I rarely ended up going, but I felt like bc it was free it should really be my only option. Now I still live in my college town and could still use the gym for free, but realize that paying for a gym membership to a different fitness center has made a world of difference for me. First of all, they offer classes which the college gym did not, so that forces me to be there for class and as a bonus I've found I really love spinning and love going and love the people I've met in the class. Second of all, the atmosphere is just sooo much better...in the winter I go all the time bc there is parking and I can drive (unlike my college gym) and they have a sauna which is something I can really look forward too. I find the whole experience really relaxing. Third, I'm paying for my membership so that's an extra motivator--the more times I go, the less the cost is per visit. and I justify it a little bit bc now that I have to pay for my hot water, I save money on my electricity bills by showering at the gym :) Some or none of these circumstances may apply to you, and you may not be in a position to buy a gym membership, but I didn't even think about a gym membership at college because I had the free gym, and in the end, it could have been really good for me.

I can't offer much sage advice about the dining halls...my college had fantastic food and I ate a lot of it!

KnitALisa
06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh yes. I'm heading into my final year of school now (changing schools and majors put me on the 6 year plan). At my first school, the food was so good and I was so nice. I gained my freshman 15 and two other people's! Aren't I sweet? Gaining 50 lbs in two years = worst idea ever!

The best thing that I have done for myself since coming to my new school is move off campus. It's not only better for my weight loss (kitchen so I can do all my own cooking, no meal plan I feel obligated to use since I'm paying for it, and my parents are the best and bought me an elliptical), but it's also better for my mental health. I hated every moment of sharing a bedroom. I like my privacy and own space. So, yeah, moving off campus is the best (and since my appt is old and crappy, it's a lot cheaper too!).

ETA-forestroad -The gym at my first school was exactly like that. It was big and beautiful, but I never went either. The school I'm at now is a lot smaller and the gym is a lot crappier, in terms of quality. I still never go. But I've got my own fitness equipment now, so it's ok. I really miss the workout classes that my home YMCA had though (no fitness classes down here! :()

RubyGuggenheim
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Although I'm not an undergrad, I am in the student realm. I graduated from college last year and am starting law school in August. Losing the weight never seemed worth it in college since everyone had already seen me fat. Going into a new program where no one knows me though is just the motivation I needed to lose a bunch of weight.

Although I gained a lot of weight in college I'm pretty sure I won't gain much in law school, since I'll be cooking for myself rather than eating dining hall food. At least, that's what I hope.

StarCarly
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I'll be starting my Junior year in the fall. I gained about 30(!) pounds my freshman year, took it all off that summer, and gained 15 of it back my sophomore year. Thank goodness I'll be off campus in an apartment this year so I can actually cook for myself and count my calories! Even though I had a meal plan at the cafeteria, boyfriend and I would eat literally all of our meals either at restaurants, fast food, or frozen unhealthy meals. Of course he hasn't gained an ounce since we started dating 3 years ago. Damn boys and their metabolism. At least he stayed with me at my fattest.

Anyway, I am a little nervous about not having a free gym nearby (not that I used it when I lived in the dorms) but I'm hoping to learn to love to run outside and keep up with 30DS inside.

bluebird19
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
great so see so many people willing to join me :) I'm actually running out the door now (to the gym woohoooo!!!) but I'll be back in a few to post and organize :D

beautifulmess
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
me! I just finished my sophmore year.

CollegeGirl
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
ME!! I am about to be a sophomore too!!

Star2Be
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh, me me me!! I'm a rising third year - literally JUST finished my second year yesterday, WOOHOO! - and I can definitely relate to the challenges of trying to lose weight while in college. I technically started my weight loss over the summer, but probably like 90% of the "journey" has been done while at school... It's definitely hard at times with all the junk and booze that is constantly around, not to mention the fact that I eat exclusively out of a dining hall, where there are plenty of bad options available... But I would say that I've been mostly successful, so it makes me feel better to know that it IS possible. I figure if I can get through an obstacle as big as that, I should be able to bash through any other challenges in the future, heh. And yeah, I'm living in an apt next year, too, so I am SO excited to be able to cook for myself and actually know *exactly* what I'm ingesting, instead of trying to make accurate guesses from the scant information my dining hall offers about their foods (literally, they give no almost no accurate nutritional information--so frustrating!).

I'll be home for the summer in a couple days, though, and that's a whooole other ballpark... Losing weight while at school is almost a breeze in comparison to all the crap I have to deal with at home. :rolleyes: I guess there's always something, isn't there? We can't all be on the Biggest Loser where everything else is totally put on hold in order to focus your life 100% on losing weight. For real people like us, there are other things that get in the way! :p

penmage
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll join in too. Just finished my sophomore year, and I'm still trying to lose the freshman....30-ish... that I put on. Ugh.

CrazyCrystalCC
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
HEYHEYHEY!!! I am a college student also. I attend USM, I don't live on campus but, i still need help with battling this busy schedule and knowing how to eat and lose weight. Looking forward to help!!
Crystal

rosekeet
06-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I just finished my third year of college. I used to live in the dorms, but our dorms were equipped with kitchens and we had no meal plan. I did all my own cooking (and eating out) and still gained the freshman 15. Which turned into the sophomore 20ish... I lost 20lbs+ in high school and kept it off, and my mom cooked healthily.

Just need to learn to cook healthy myself! It's just hard when a typical night out with friends is greasy pizza and cheap beer.

vtharris
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey all! I am new to 3 Fat Chick and would love to join this group! I'm a rising senior at VT, and like many others, packed on quite a few pounds while being at school and studying abroad! What plans is everyone thinking about trying? Anything in particular? I really like Weight Watchers, however I find $40 a month just too much to spend to weigh in. I have a scale and all the books, so I'm thinking about following the plan at home!

Thanks guys!

RachelOnADiet
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Really, I'm not a college student anymore, I graduated in May. But I'll be a grad student in the fall, and I am trying to lose weight. I gained about 20 lbs between my sophomore and junior years, and I've lost most of that in the past few months. I haven't weighed in the 250s in about 4 years, so it's exciting to get back there, but I refuse to stay there or gain any more weight back!

cincimom11
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
vtharris - Give counting calories a try!

KnitALisa
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
vtharris - a quick :wave:from a fellow Virginia college student! I actually went to Governor's School for Agriculture (back in the day when I wanted to be a vet) at Tech; it's a really nice (huge!) campus. As for plans, I use SparkPeople to log everything that goes in my mouth and my exercise. It's really easy especially since I'm not subsisting off campus food anymore.

Bridgeosaurus
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm a junior! I actually lost 15 lbs. my first semester as freshman because I had to walk a LOT! But then I gained about 70 lbs. Ugh.

elle w 19
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey guys-- I'd love to join you! I'm actually in law school now, so I'm not in a dorm or on a meal plan. But I gained about 40 lbs since I started in August because I felt like I couldn't waste a minute doing anything other than studying.

One important thing about shaping up while in school is it will improve your chances for employment. We may not want to admit it, but being an overweight woman will often trigger prejudice during interviews. I didn't work this hard to let that happen to me, so it's one of the many reasons that I am taking control of my life.

I am counting calories for now and I am hoping to get a Go Wear Fit sensor/armband thing in a couple weeks so I can closely monitor my caloric deficits.

Have a great weekend ladies!!

KnitALisa
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
One important thing about shaping up while in school is it will improve your chances for employment. We may not want to admit it, but being an overweight woman will often trigger prejudice during interviews.

Elle, that's another reason why I want to shape up. I graduate in May '10 and while I really want to go to graduate school, I'm also going to be applying for jobs as a back up plan. Plus I'd like to get a really cute sundress for graduation! ;)

rosekeet
06-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I successfully lost weight on weight watchers when I was in high school. I kept it off for two years. When I started college, I stopped going to meetings, though, and I gained it back. It's a really good program.

megwini
06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm going to be a sophomore next year too! :woohoo: I was always overweight in high school but never really surpassed 175. I think it was because I still couldn't eat *whatever* I wanted with no one telling me what to do. With no one to say no, I took everything in sight with no shame. Dessert every day (sometimes TWO pieces of cake), no salad,no vegetables, two unhealthy entrees for dinner, hamburgers all the time... then over spring break my friends and I hiked a mountain and I was so out-of-shape, and then it hit me that I might *only* be a little fatter now, but if I kept this up my whole life, when I hit my 30's or 40's I might just positively BALLOON and get up to the 300's. So I had to kick this NOW.
So I've already been losing since the end of March AT school and with a mealplan, so I know I can continue to do it even when I return to school. I don't need to be at home to lose weight, and I WILL reach my goal, even if I do have to eat cafeteria food. We have a salad bar and I USE it, gosh darn it! :D

College students unite!

mescelestus
06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I am going to be a junior! Fortunately for me, I did not gain any weight in college...the last time i can remember gaining is the second half of my sr. year of highschool (I stayed home and baked cookies). But I have a really busy college life, and I'd love to join you!

ruby5839
06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
It was a really beautiful day outside today but I didn't get to enjoy it at all because I've been stuck inside trying to finish a paper for one of my summer classes.
I'm assuming most of you are done finals, so how many people are taking summer courses too? And are you living on-campus or off-campus/at home this summer?

Starrynight
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Cool, I'll join, I'm entering my third year as an undergrad!
Ugh when I'm in school, I totally lose sight of what I'm eating, but hopefully this year will be different!

munchievictim
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm totally on board.
I just wrapped up my freshman year and now I'm in summer classes. I still live at home and don't eat at school, but fast food restaurants call my name every day. I haven't gained any weight in school (other than the fact that I lost 20 lbs last summer and gained it all back, but the weight loss was unhealthy and due to drug abuse) and I'm trying to keep it that way. I've been using our free gym (or, I'm beginning to use it again), and signed up for an aerobic walking PE class in the fall.
I love college, but I feel like now is the time I should really be seizing control of my life. I've been overweight as long as I can remember, all through high school i was the weight I am now, and I just can't help thinking, when does it stop? When do I grow out of this baby fat that has haunted me my whole life, the reason I've never worn a bikini to a beach or owned a pair of shorts that showed my thighs? The answer is, of course, that if I never change my habits, I never will.
So here's to changing bad habits into good ones, while juggling a hectic summer schedule and preparing for a fully-loaded fall.

rosekeet
06-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm taking one class this summer. Luckily it's super easy. The professor decided to make our midterms take home, so there are no actual exams... Mostly we just have discussions and watch movies. The only problem is that it's at 8am. :( I am SO not a morning person. I live right across the street from campus, so I can walk to class fairly quickly, but just HATE getting up early.

My problem is my activities with my friends tend to revolve for a large part around food. For example, tonight my friend made cheese fondue. We went over to her apartment, ate it and watched TV. We go out to lunch or dinner. We go to the movies and buy snacks. We have movie marathons. We all need to take up some kind of physical activity....

kk140
06-16-2009, 12:58 AM
me too me too!! I'm a dental student and have 3 years left :D
I live at home though so supper is not a problem for me... but breakfast and lunch.. that's another story.
And during school I know I won't have time to work out so i'm really dreading it

spikedpunch
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I just noticed this thread. I've been trying to juggle a 1.5 hour commute to school plus a 30 hour work week. It's insane. Luckily I haven't gained any weight back, but it makes it super difficult to find time to work out. My lunches and dinners usually consist of granola bars or grabbing something quick on the way to work, so healthy food is difficult too. But I'll figure it out somehow.

forestroad
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Rosekeet- social life revolving around food was (and is) my biggest problem in college. The dining hall opened for dinner at 5, and people would wander in and out and before I knew it I would have been sitting there for TWO HOURS noshing after having eaten a big carby, fatty, meal. Yeah, I'd probably go through 3 pieces of cake. We also had Fondue Fridays and stuff like that and I was always really horrible at resisting.

Now that I'm out of school, less of my social life revolves around food, but when it does, I still have that problem of overeating. Whenever my boyfriend is around, we eat together and oftentimes go out and I almost always end up overeating.

The next time we have a social eating event, we should report back here about how we did so we know that we will have to be accountable for how many pieces of bread we dip in the melted cheese! Or maybe start a "social eating challenge" thread...what do you think?

forestroad
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
p.s. senior year I hated going out bc I was unhappy with my weight and the heaviest I'd ever been, so instead my friend and I would have movie nights where we'd polish off a bottle of wine and probably some cookie dough (so embarrassing!) between the two of us, which of course just created a vicious cycle.

munchievictim
06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
aggggh, spending time with my boyfriend is terrible for my weight loss. I only get to see him on the weekends because I'm here going to school all week, and he's 30 miles away in the city working, so I leave thursday night when my classes are over and head up there and don't come back til sunday. So, while I'm making food decisions only for myself all week, I rarely struggle at all with staying on plan. But as soon as I go up there it's like that all falls out the window. I don't really talk to him about weight loss (I guess I think that if I pretend I don't have any weight to lose, he won't notice? har) and couldn't really imagine saying "i can't go to the chinese buffet because I'm on a diet and I'm also a huge compulsive eater and if I pay for all I can eat, I'll eat all I can eat of sesame chicken and rice and egg rolls and then I'll gain five pounds, and have to spend all next week trying to lose it just so I can come up here and gain it all back again!" aside from that being the longest run-on sentence ever (and shame on me, I'm an english major), it's the debate that goes on silently in my head when he wants to go get something to eat. Of course, he can eat all he wants because he walks to work and home and anywhere else he wants to go (and this guy will walk 10, 15 miles just to get somewhere, no sweat) plus he doesn't keep many groceries other than the fixings for bologna sandwiches. I, on the other hand, live in a house stocked with food, in the country, and have to drive my car for miles to get anywhere in town, so all of my food and activity is carefully monitored, and I don't exactly have a deficit where I can just shove an entire chinese buffet in my mouth knowing i'll be burning it as fuel later. I won't, it turns into more fat on my butt.
Does anyone else have trouble talking to their s/o about weight loss? or friends, or family? I know that bf would support me and love me if I told him, because he supports me and loves me with all the weight. But I guess I'm embarrassed to admit that I've lost control of the food aspect of my life.

gatorgirl6
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I would LOVE to join you all! I am going to be starting my 4th year (5 year degree) in the fall and I am moving off campus for the first time! Yay, apartment!! We have an amazing gym on campus that I would love to visit frequently and I am going to cook for myself and my sister in our new snazzy apartment. :) I have done pretty well this summer losing weight, but I would like to get a bit more off before the fall semester starts. This is supposed to be the hardest semester of my degree. eeekk. I will definitely need a team of cheerleaders and drill sergeants to keep me going. Plus with the fall come Gator Football (you all know we are the best :D) and tailgating and lots of parties. I need to be in good shape, after all, football season is almost a holiday in Gainesville.

gatorgirl6
06-16-2009, 12:57 PM
munchie- My sister gives me problems with eating, but its the opposite. She has more weight to lose than I do. She's just not actually trying to lose it. I am going down to the keys basically for the next month to live with her (she is in law school and has an internship down there) and I am terrified of being pushed off the deep end for a month. I want to make progress, not gain back what I worked so hard to lose. I told her, that since she is working, not to worry about the cooking. Ill take care of all of it. Hopefully that works and she likes my healthy food. :crossed:

munchievictim
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
gatorgirl--when i'm around foodies (which I assume your sister is from your post?) it's sooo hard for me. I want to be able to just eat and eat and eat all the delicious foods I love with cheese and bread and ignore what its doing to my body. I feel deprived, I feel emotional. But! that's just my emotional attachment to food, and once I look past that, I realize that my body awareness is so much better than mindless indulgence and gorging. Hopefully, you'll move in and become a great influence on your sister. Maybe if she sees you living and eating healthily, (and LOOOOSING), she'll be inspired to start. Then the two of you could go to the gym/on walks together, stock your house with delicious healthy foods, and be each other's biggest motivators.
If not...sounds like a long hard haul for you, but an excellent exercise in willpower. i say you tackle this obstacle with cheerful enthusiasm, and try not to let the cheetos get to you. (easier said than done, huh?)

forestroad
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
munchie- I talk to my bf about losing weight and exercising, and I feel guilty about it bc even tho he is supportive, I feel like I'm kind of a drag for him. Recently he's started saying things like, "we could go to Magic Wok but I don't want to do anything that's not going to fit in you fitday" and I feel guilty that I can't do the things he wants to do when it comes to food, so I usually end up going and doing them anyway and then neither of us feels good about it! I don't want him to think that I am hung up about my body image; I want him to know that I'm confident and I think that I'm a catch, obv I don't want him to feel like I'm with him bc I have low self esteem. It's tough. I'm going to try to get all my venting out here so he notices my preoccupation less. And when it comes to places like the Magic Wok, I think I am getting better at portion control...if I divide a 1,000 calorie meal in half, then it's not bad. So we're working toward both having our cake and hopefully eating it too :)

RubyGuggenheim
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone else have trouble talking to their s/o about weight loss? or friends, or family? I know that bf would support me and love me if I told him, because he supports me and loves me with all the weight. But I guess I'm embarrassed to admit that I've lost control of the food aspect of my life.

Ayup. Whenever a friend asks about it, unless it's my one friend who has a history of weight problems, I just sort of shrug and don't really want to talk about what I do or do not eat. If they ask flat out what I've been doing differently I just mumble something about taking up jogging, but definitely don't go into the gory details of my eating habits.

gatorgirl6
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Munchie- It is very odd. My sister likes to workout and feels obligated to do so (she goes to the gym 5 days a week right now but that changes as it does with everyone), and she enjoys healthy food. She made homemade veggie soup last night for dinner. But then she will go out to a restaurant and not care about what she is ordering or portion size and then on the weekend she will go out at night and have a couple of beers. She wants to lose weight, but I don't think she wants it enough or maybe she's scared of failing. She HATES to talk about it even if she does lose. I think she sabotages herself a lot. I am hoping that she see me (Ive lost about 20 lbs since she saw me) and sees what I am doing and gets motivated. I am going to live with her in the fall as well, so I will have to make it work. I am realizing it would take WAY to long to try to explain her... She has a bad relationship with food, mainly due to my mother. My mom is super tiny. She is like 134 and thinks she is HUGE. She weighed like 105-110 until she had me (the second child). She has never weighed what my sister and I do, and she seems to think of it as a disease or affliction that we have. I am built a little smaller than my sister, so she got most of my mothers ramblings. It has made my sister despise weight and contorted how she looks at food. My sister is without a doubt prettier than I am, confident, and gets more guys, even though I'm at least 30 lbs lighter and taller than she is. Her weight doesn't stop her from anything, but I KNOW that she wants to be smaller. It is going to be hard to work around the psychological aspect of weight loss with her. But I know her better than almost anyone in the world and we are pretty much best friends, so I think it will work out. It will just take a little tip-toeing and some skill.

Well, I have to go pick up my dogs from the groomer now and I have a test tomorrow, so I might be a little MIA for a little while.

I really think this thread is going to help me. Thanks.

munchievictim
06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
forestroad--I know my boyfriend would be the same way "we could go here, but I don't want to mess up your diet" and I don't want to have to listen to that, you know? I mean, even if he means it in a good way, i don't want him thinking about the fact that I'm thinking about my weight. It's not really an issue we've ever talked about (I hope and believe that that's because it's not an issue) and I don't want to have to admit that I'm not 100% confident and pleased with myself. Maybe that's just my own fear of vulnerability. Still, I'd rather my boyfriend look at me one day and say "gosh, you seem to have lost 70 lbs. Did you notice?"
But if my boyfriend knew I had 70 lbs to lose I think I'd die. So.
Ruby--I hate when people ask me about food, or my eating habits! I don't care who it is, a friend, a doctor, a stranger. (or my boyfriend, if you'll see above. haha)
I feel like that's all very personal and none of their business. The problem with being fat, though, is that you can't hide it the way you might hide cancer or depression. While it's a very personal thing that is like a war raging inside each of us, and it is in many cases as damaging as a cancer, all of the symptoms are broadly (no pun intended) displayed for all to see. And the worse the case, the more readily visually apparent it is that you are suffering. Another problem is that, for those who have never battled weight issues, it is nearly impossible to understand the way the mind of a fat person thinks. And those who see things and don't understand them are, unfortunately, most prone to asking rude, invasive questions. Whether it's asking an anorexic, "Why won't you just eat?" or asking an obese person "Why won't you just stop eating?" questions about a person's obvious weight issues are rarely if ever welcome, and are usually stupid to boot.
On the other side of it, there are those of us fighting the good fight against the fat, which I think heightens our sensitivity all the more to the issue, as many overweight people spend most of their time while gaining weight in denial. Therefore, once a person has realized the things about their body that they've been ignoring, and has begun working to make positive changes, they become perhaps even more self-conscious. I think this is why many people on here who have lost half or more of their body weight still feel that 'fat-girl syndrome,' that they'll never be happy with their body.
Anyway, once your all hyped up and superaware of your flaws, the last thing you want or need in any way is some ignorant, insensitive person to come along and point them out and then quiz you about it. I've read several threads on here discussing these types of questions, such as "What are you doing?" "Are you starving yourself?" "Are you sure you need to lose weight?" "Are you ordering a salad again???", and the responses are resoundingly that this is no sort of way for a person to behave. All weight related questions should generally be off-limits.*
(*Of course, for me it all depends on the tone, and the person. Some people don't welcome the questions at all, but if it's someone I am close to who genuinely notices the difference and is simply remarking that they can tell, I look better already, etc.--I'm learning how to take a compliment. I always brush off the "how are you doing it?" questions with something generic like "eating less, moving more" or "I've started jogging." I figure if someone really wants to know in order to use the information, they'll come and pick my brain and in that case I'd be happy to help. This, of course, is irrelevant right now, as I am in no shape to being giving getting-in-shape advice to anybody)
(also, I'm sorry that was so terribly long, I guess it was more of a rant on than topic than just a response. haha)

gatorgirl--it sounds like what your sister needs is a good example. It sounds like confronting her head-on with all her weight issues and the brutal truth would backfire, cause an explosion, or worse. I'm really sure you knew that, as you struggle with your own weight, and are probably well aware of the damaging effects that something like that can have on a person trying to get their foot in the door of this carnival.
My advice is, move in with her and just truck full steam ahead with your diet and exercise. Keep your healthy food in the fridge next to her beer. Go for walks and ask her to join, but don't pressure. When she sees that you've already lost 20 pounds, and that you're still sticking like glue to your commitment, and that it's working, hopefully she will settle herself right in with yoru routine and your good habits. It sounds like she's just looking for the way, but rather than jumping up and down and pointing at it and telling her where to go, you simply lead the way. Hopefully she'll follow. Either way, you're getting the best out of it because you'll be getting healthier the whole time.
Also, you should introduce her to 3FC. This place has done wonders for me, and everyone I talk to on here. I'm convinced that this is one of the most important tools at our disposal.

Sorry for the novel guys, I'm avoiding a seriously huge stack of biology homework. Guess I'd better get started.
Hope everyone's on plan and going strong. :)

Talina
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I've been at school for while due to changing majors and taking a semester off. I'll finally be graduating in December. Over about 6 years I gained about 25 lbs. It seemed to be really slow to come on at first and then really pile up in the last year or two. I only lived in the dorms for one year, but I never ate that healthy while living on my own. I started trying to eat better at the beginning of this year, but it was hard because there were always sweets at home(with family) and work. This month I moved back near school. I've been very cautious about what I keep in my kitchen. It's been much easier to not be tempted by desserts and high calorie food when they're not available. I haven't been going out to eat at all because money is tight. Now that I'm able to see how much my new eating habits are helping, I think I'll be much more prepared to turn down bad option as they arise.

I'm still trying to get exercise into my daily routine. Between summer classes, looking for new jobs, and unpacking it's been difficult. I hope that things will settle down soon.