Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Can you be addicted to endorphins this fast?

I've in the middle of my second "official" workout week. I didn't go for a walk yesterday (too cold!) ands I was antsy all DAY to get some decent hard breathing exercise.

I finally got on the bike a little while ago--and I just feel so blasted good.

Can this really be legal?

How long before YOU were hooked on exercise--or hasn't it happened for some of you yet?

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-10-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #2  
Starting over

Oops...that should be endorphins, of course.

I guess they don't help with spelling!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #3  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

I just started working out last week. Honestly it is awful for me.. I mean I feel good in an emotional sense, like I've accomplished a little something. But it just hurts my body at this point. I'm so jealous of you gals who can do more than 20 minutes of anything..

I guess I need to be sure I do it every single day and it will get easier..

How was the first week for you? Tough like mine? Or are you just an exercise ninja? lol
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/277/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm with Mel here. I've been putting in some serious excising for the last 2 weeks, and while I know that I'll be proud of myself, it hurts my body when I work out. But, when I'm done, I feel great and accomplished! I also have a GREAT day and feel confident and focused on the days I have a good workout.

Soon it will be an addiction!
A phat chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #5  
Starting over

Oh heavens, no, no ninja here!

I just took walks with thte husband and the dog. I just wanted to get used to the idea. Nothing strenuous, nothing laboured. Developing a habit is more important to me right now than reaching my "target heart range." I mean frankly, ANY excercise was morte than I was doing before!

It reminds me of the time Martha Beck (I think it was her) wrote about starting an excercise program. She decided that since change can occur in microsteps, that she decided to just go to the gym after she dropped her child off for school. She would go to the gym--and sit in the parking lot, in her car. I think she said she did that for about 3-4 days until she felt ready to go inside.

I love that story. Do what you are willing to do--as far as your willing--as long as you are willing.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #6  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

That is great..I think I've been sitting in my car outside of the gym for years now. Figuratively speaking, of course.
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #7  
Starting over

Mel, ahem, I think you actually have to drive there.
That's part of the deal!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #8  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

My name is Delphi and I'm definitely an addict! Love it and can't get enough of it.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

I'm so glad you and others who commented love to exercise! That's wonderful, and truly a gift! I personally HATE to exercise. I hate it so much that's one of the reasons I recently adopted a dog, because I knew the only way I was going to walk an hour everyday was if there was another being who was depending on me. And recently my mp3 broke, so now I have to walk in SILENCE, eegad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
Oh heavens, no, no ninja here!

I just took walks with thte husband and the dog. I just wanted to get used to the idea. Nothing strenuous, nothing laboured. Developing a habit is more important to me right now than reaching my "target heart range." I mean frankly, ANY excercise was morte than I was doing before!
That's exactly the right attitude, just do something, regularly. And I bet your dog was really happy too
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #10  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
My name is Delphi and I'm definitely an addict! Love it and can't get enough of it.

Except my name is Shia...lmao
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #11  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I don't remember how long it took but I now say that endorphins are my "drug of choice" these days. BUT if I stop for a few days I lose that urge so I may not be completely addicted or withdrawal would be more difficult.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

It's been a solid month now of hard cardio and weights, on my one day off a week I get antsy too, wandering around my house wondering what to do, with my daughter asking me, mommy where are you going? So i take a yoga class on my day off now. It's not cardio and is just the thing I need to not be bored.

And today, the weirdest thing happened, I got up at 6am, put on my running shoes and went outside for a run, holy crap! I can do the treadmill or the elliptical for an hour no problem but there's something about running on the road (and it's a gravel one!) that's so much harder. But I did it, intervals of running/walking for an hour. I've always enjoyed exercise but this last month has really reminded me what I am capable of.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #13  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Well, my mother would say yes. This is a 52 year old 5'8 135 lb woman who would run 4+ miles a day if her body would still let her (she's switched to biking all the time and doing lots of yoga). She's like the fitness guru and if she doesn't get her exercise in, she gets cranky and anxious.

Me? I'm still getting to that point. I know that after I exercise I feel better, physically and emotionally. I have more energy, can concentrate better, and I feel happier and less anxious. But I haven't gotten to the point yet where I need it like she does. The connection just isn't that strong in my mind yet.

Last edited by KnitALisa; 06-11-2009 at 09:59 AM.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 249/228/165

Height: 5'9"

it took almost 8 weeks for the exercise to work it's anti-depressant magic on my poor bedraggled brain.

now i crave it.

i also live in fear of the dark pit of despair that awaits if i stop, so it's a bit of an s&m relationship.

isolde
stillclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #15  
Out is Through

Hrmm, I think it's possible! I just started getting back into an exercise routine last Monday, and my boyfriend and I joined the gym 3 days ago. We went Wednesday, Thursday and tonight as well. Our gym is 24 hours weekdays, and weekend hours are a bit different. We thought they closed at 7 tonight, so we were really disappointed that we couldn't go. I checked the website at 9, saw that they were open until 10 and ran to change and put my sneakers on.. we zoomed out the door! I rode on the stationary bike for 23 minutes and pulled through 5 miles going 13mph. We stayed until the they shut the lights..literally! It was a great feeling, and I'm glad we got to cram in a quick workout
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote