Weight and Resistance Training - No Grunting at Planet Fitness

View Full Version : No Grunting at Planet Fitness

ROFL
06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok so it seems Planet Fitness and a few other gyms are instituting this "no grunting" policy.

If you grunt while lifting or drop heavy weights on the floor the "lunk head alarm" will be set off and the individual is basically publicly humiliated and his membership revoked on the spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

The reasoning behind this is that it makes for an "intimidating atmosphere" at a gym

Now as a general rule I dont see many men complaining about this kind of stuff (intimidating atmosphere) therefore in my mind is to keep the female cardio bunnies and yoga practitioners in their little safe calm zone.

Since this is the only exercise forum that has a large female membership i am here to ask you what do you think about this "no grunting policy"?

JulieJ08
06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Seems a bit extreme. But the guy thinks we're idiots if he wants us to believe it embarrassed him, but he's talking about it on TV. Yeah, I believe he didn't swear and yell at the gym manager.

saef
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I can't give you an opinion on this because I'm still struck by the phrase "female cardio bunnies."

Give me a few minutes to think about this, because I'm pretty sure it offends me.

We do have female lifters here. They often show up & give excellent advice. Ladies who lift, do you grunt and cry out like you're giving birth when you handle weights? Is vocalization at that moment common throughout the human species, or is it purely a male tendency?

nelie
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I can't get over the 'cardio bunnies' comment either and I do think its offensive.

A gym should be a place for everyone as everyone had paid their dues (hopefully). I think many of us have dealt with the stupid grunting and weight dropping that occurs in the free weights section. I always was amused by it and never understand why someone would like to grunt other than "oh look at me, I'm mr strong man, this weight is so heavy that I need to grunt". I've also been amused by the men that are obviously doing exercises poorly in bad form.

Oh and I saw the video. What he explained he was doing doesn't sound like grunting but I'm doubting that he was doing it like that if they kicked him out. Although the sign in the video says "No Deadlifts"?! I couldn't read the entire line but huh?

I'd basically read the rules of the gym and if you don't feel like you could follow them, then don't join. There are certain gyms that cater to certain clientele. There is a gym near me that has a very small free weight section and lots of other stuff, "state of the art". I could tell it wasn't for me.

ladyrider72472
06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
That is beyond nuts! Next thing you know there will be no grunting in the delivery room either!

mandalinn82
06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, the "Cardio bunnies" line isn't very friendly. There are strong women, who lift, who train, and who work HARD, who are annoyed by grunting at the gym.

When I was at a gym, I had problems with it, but not because it was intimidating. It was DISTRACTING. Just like many other distracting things that were banned at gyms I used (like talking on your cell phone, or wearing strong perfume). It intrudes on people's space (which they are paying for, just like you are)...many times, I could hear these LOUD grunts through my headphones. If my headphones don't drown you out, you're too loud, whether you're gabbing with your friend on the treadmill next to me or lifting weights so heavy you have to grunt/scream. It's not an issue of being intimidated, it's an issue of being irritated.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
I belong to Planet Fitness and I deadlift every single time...no complaints from anyone.

I appreciate the fact that there is no screaming at PF. Another rule is dress; no do rags, workboots, jeans, etc. PF wants to create a place where everyone from all walks of life can feel comfortable, instead of feeling intimidated. Those who want to grunt and scream should do it where grunting and screaming are considered okay.

ROFL
06-10-2009, 06:54 PM
What exactly is offensive about "cardio bunnies"

Girls that go and run on the treadmill for 2 hours and then walk out, never touching the weights therefore not knowing the amount of effort it takes to do a 550 pound deadlift.

That's what is generally regarded as a cardio bunny in the lifting community, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Didnt mean to offend anyone by it

jamsk8r
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
There's grunting at my Crossfit gym, when somebody is lifting at or near their max, or on their last round of the metcon-from-heck. It's the norm there, though, so it's not disturbing anybody. Nobody grunts at our gym just to grab attention, though, because there are plenty of legit reasons to grunt and drop heavy stuff on the floor.

The guy in the video looks like a BBer, so he'd probably be more comfortable at Gold's, where I'm pretty sure grunting is allowed. There are different types of gyms for different types of workouts and personalities. I say, go where they do the kind of lifting and/or exercise you like. If you're the only one doing what you do, it will probably turn out to be a bad fit at some point.

beerab
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I would say as long as it's not excessive who cares? I mean heck I sometimes would grunt when trying to lift a weight- it's not easy!

Seems like a dumb rule to me- unless the person is going overboard I don't see what the big deal is...

mandalinn82
06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, the term "bunnies" sort of implies a lack of respect. For the women doing the workouts, as well as their method of working out.

Sort of like if they referred to all lifters as "lifting lunkheads". It's a widely used term, just not very polite.

JulieJ08
06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I suspect the rule is not because all grunting is bad, but because it's much, much easier to enforce "no grunting" than to enforce "no excessive grunting." That would be a nightmare to negotiate. I still think the rule is a bit much.

megwini
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I agree. It's like you're saying that cardio is not as important as weight lifting. On the other hand, to imply the cardio is better than weight lifting isn't good either. i think they are both important and people who do them are INFINITELY better than the people sitting at home, watching TV, and not being active AT ALL. You could say "cardio bunnies" and be derogatory, but the reality of it is that THEY are the ones who are being active (as compared to the rest of our nation of couch potatoes). They shouldn't be penalized for being active, even if their way of being active is different from other people. Just like if someone wants to ONLY lift weights, that's fine too. It's a personal choice, and they don't deserve to be called a "lifting lunkhead" either (though I personally think a mix of cardio and weightlifting would be most ideal, it's really just a personal choice in the end).

mandalinn82
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I swear, we could eliminate so many rules if people just used politeness and common sense. But it is so uncommon in some settings!

Clearly all grunting during a workout is not distracting or obnoxious, or interferes with people who are working out, which is why the rule is excessive. But I have heard, been distracted by, and found obnoxious "excessive" grunting by people lifting, making noise loud enough to hear through my earphones with music going, which has resulted in injury at least once I'm aware of (the man lifting next to this one guy who would just let rip these incredibly loud grunt/screams during lifting was not expecting the loud noise and dropped a weight on his foot. Not pretty). Dropping heavy weights makes a similarly loud, startling noise, which can result in injury and distraction, even to those doing cardio (I also saw someone fly off of a treadmill after she turned her head to see what happened after the loud crash of a guy dropping a heavy bar).

If the grunting is loud enough, or the bar-dropping loud enough that it startles people, it's dangerous, as humans have automatic startle reactions (looking up, flinching, etc) that can be dangerous in gyms where people are lifting heavy things or using moving equipment. Beyond the annoyance factor, it can be a safety issue, and I think that putting limits in place is reasonable. Obviously all grunts don't fit this description, but without having a decibel meter in the lifting sections, how does one set the standard without using some common sense.

WaterRat
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I too have been irritated, but not intimidated by grunting - and some of it from women (one college aged gal in particular). My gym recently added on a two story addition. Upstairs is a spinning room and downstairs is a really nice WL area. Has some sort of rubber padded floor, platforms for lifting heavy that give when you drop a heavy weight. Best of all it has AC! (as does the spinning room above). I use it because it has most of what I need, and I drag the rest in there (DBs and bands). But because it has all the heavy lifting equipment, it has the grunters. But I also expect it for that reason. I could work out in another free weight part of the gym, which has no heavy stuff, but it also has no AC and not as nice a floor. :)

sportmom
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I totally got the cardio bunny thing and took no offense. I see it more of an 80's term and not someone I envision these days. Maybe bc I see big hair, perhaps pulled off to a one sided ponytail ;), wearing shock blue and fuschia spandex tops and perhaps a brief over her leggings in a contrasting fluorescent color. Cardio bunnies is what we all were in the 80's when aerobics were in and the gym trainers told us to do the NAUTILUS machines like twice a week to keep toned. :D

So, I wouldn't be a fan of grunting, but lo and behold, when I recently made it up to bench pressing 35s in each hand, holy moly, I start to groan to get those last few reps out on my final set of my pyramid set. Yikes! It helps. Sometimes they hear me upstairs. Grunter, checking in!

Water25
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the rule is dumb. But it would be hard to enforce an "excessive noise" rule.

That being said, I find the grunters to be really annoying. It is hard to concentrate on my own lifts when there is some dude next to me yelling "Hooah!!" every three seconds.
And every time I look over I notice that he is lifting completely wrong and would probably have no need to grunt if he lifted properly. But that is just my experience.
However, to me, grunting is pretty low on the totem pole as far as annoying gym behavior is concerned.

Thighs Be Gone
06-11-2009, 10:00 AM
There is a runner in my neighborhood that grunts as he runs. WTH? I always see him and dread passing him as we are usually going opposite directions. I think next time I see him I am going to start grunting too.

Oh, and for the record--I birthed two kids ...and never, not even once grunted. :)

nelie
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
TBG - We did a charity run/walk a few weeks ago and there was a 'huffer' runner. He was an older guy and I actually thought he was going to pass out from the way he sounded. You could hear him 'huff' from 20 feet away.

The grunters that I got annoyed with at the gym were basically screaming. I can't think anyone would believe that'd be an inviting environment.

WormwoodDoll
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
My gym doesn't have the "no grunting" rule. I use to belong to Planet Fitness, but there are none around me currently. But I DO appreciate it for the fact that it is distracting as mandalinn82 said. I usually do strength training in a small separate room that has 'beginners' equipment. The main floor is usually where the more experienced weight lifters do their thing. But it connects directly to this area by an open door way and I can hear everything. Some of those guys are really obnoxious about it. I have to laugh sometimes! Each man is different. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so extreme because I can see how heavy those weights can be.

kaw
06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't care so much about grunting, but I do think gyms should ban the phrase, "it's all you, dude, it's all you!" at the bench press stations. Especially when it's being uttered by someone who is doing a 185-lb upright row in order to save his buddy from being crushed by a load chosen more on the basis of ego than ability.

In defense of ROFL: Not all people who do cardio are cardio bunnies. And, "cardio bunnies" can be either gender, although they are more often women. Like their close cousins the ski bunnies and snow bunnies, cardio bunnies are primarily interested in going to the gym to attract a mate: improving health, burning calories, or enjoying exercise for its own sake are secondary goals at best. Cardio bunnies can often be identified by the gallon of perfume or aftershave they apply in the locker room before going into the cardio area. Other possible markings include pink spandex leotards, leg-warmers, and, for the females of the species, copious amounts of makeup. The cardio bunny's usual habitat is chrome-n-tone gyms, but they can also be spotted in university gyms and chain "family" gyms. Cardio bunnies have a natural aversion to powerlifters and the smell of sweaty gym socks (ed: is this redundant?), so they are rarely seen in garage gyms or iron gyms.

Yes, this is all tongue-in-cheek!

Be strong,
Kim

Thinfor5Minutes
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I was in PF this morning, and I was weight training. The guy next to me occasionally let out a very low "oof!" which did not bother me at all. No way would I have reported him to management for that. The older lady (60ish) next to me let out a little "huff!" once as well. Not offensive in the least.

For the record, the incident in the OP happened several years ago and was all over the internet at the time; it is not a new story. AND PF does not have heavy weights; I think the highest weight I noticed was 50 pounds or so. Its client base consists mostly of older people who are there to protect their bones, improve cholesterol numbers, etc. and overweight or unfit people of all ages who want to improve themselves. I fall into the latter category. The serious heavy lifters pretty much go elsewhere. My son works out to improve his physique, and I'm pretty sure he probably makes noise when he lifts, but he has his gym set up at home and thus offends nobody.

Lydia227
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Interesting. :chin:

This illustrates why it is so very important to really understand the culture of a gym before you join it. I think someone who is experienced in lifting is going to know right away whether or not a gym that attempts to "meet the needs of the masses" is going to be a good fit for them or not.

While I don't "drop weights" I do make a little noise while lifting. Not loud mind you but if you are within ten feet of me your going to know when I'm doing my last two reps. Lets just say my "breathing" becomes a little louder. If I had to be "silent" during my workouts I would have to hold back a little. Now, loud excessive childbirth type grunts, I sometimes think that if you have the energy to scream that loud, your not channeling the energy in the right place, your lift. :s:

Mel
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I joined the Planet Fitness near me when it was built 3 years ago because it was CHEAP. Unfortunately, the equipment and "culture" were completely antithetical to the way I like to work out. I was asked to leave once for jumping onto a bench, and once for wearing a sleeveless tank top (with sportsbra ;) ). Many of my friend were asked to leave for similar attire. I'm no longer a member because it was pointless for me, but I've heard they have really loosened up on the rules. It's always mobbed, and I know many people who do effective workouts there for their goals.

As Lydia siad, it's really important to get a feel for the gym culture before you plunk down money.

Mel

Ilene
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I've grunted or breathed out loudly when lifting, it's a natural reaction I thought... There's only one guy, a huge body builder who grunts at our gym, and it's not wonder he grunts he lifts 400-500 lbs sometimes, I'd grunt too lifting that much... he's in his mid 40s and he's so huge that everyone totally understands why he does it...

As for sounds while running, I do those too :lol: or I sometimes count 1,2,3 out loud, both methods help me and my running partner focus and get in the zone... specially when you aren't listening to music...

The ''cardio bunny'' is an old 80s term, it did not offend me either, no worse than using pink dumbells :lol:

lauralyn
06-13-2009, 08:49 AM
There is a thread somewhere about pet peeves in the gym...if grunting can get you removed than I would think some of the pet peeves should also.

I personaly do not have a problem with grunting at the gym. I would grunt too lifting those weights.

Mel
06-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't mind grunting, but having worked in gyms, there is a wide range of "grunting". At one gym, we had a woman who was a screamer, to the point that every man in the gym would drop weights and stare at her :o Another man turned every grunt, and they occurred on EVERY lift, into an obscenity which rhymes with truck. Both were just plain tiresome attention getters!

I grunt on heavy lifts- especially if I'm using my ipod and am not listening to myself. I also sing or hum along with the music which is probably far more annoying than my grunts :p

Mel

Jacque9999
06-13-2009, 09:09 AM
I read most of the posts here and MHO is this. I belong to PF. I like the price, the location the hours and the facility. I follow the rules that I agreed to when I joined. I like the fact that there grunting is not allowed, however, I don't think you should be banned from the gym if you do occasionally. If however, someone is a constant grunter, I would be very distracted and annoyed by it and would not want to belong to a gym that allowed it and do think that management needs to handle it. That is the beauty of different kinds of gyms...PF caters to me and that is why I belong there. Before it was PF it was Golds, and honestly, I wasn't comfortable there at that time. Different times of the day there are different people there, so there is a variety of people, but I have NEVER seen a huge body builder there that would probably grunt.

As far as "cardio bunnies"....I am not one...there are 3 days a week that I go into the gym, get on the Arc Trainer and do 50 minutes. Now if someone sees me do this and thinks I am a "cardio bunny" they are very, very wrong...what they don't know is that I leave PF, drive down the street to the Pilates studio and do an hour of pilates....what they also don't know is that 3 more days a week, I do an hour of boot camp, and on the 7th day, I do something at home i.e. walk, dvd workout, etc... I would be offended by someone who comes into the gym smelling like a perfume factory...but then again, that offends me anywhere.

Finally, as far as the YouTube video...I'm a pretty good judge of character and I believe that this guy did get irate and did curse at that women. He broke so many rules not just of the gym but of society too. He does not deserve to belong to a great gym like PF.

Daimere
06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I used to work at the YMCA and we had day camps at the gym. It was really annoying when people dropped weights. The whole floor would shake and it sounded like thunder. Imagine that with a gaggle of uncomfortable 5 year olds! Sometimes when they would drop them, they'd scream very loudly.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I wear nothing BUT sleeveless tanks when I exercise, and always with a sports bra either under my shirt or the bra is part of the shirt. I don't remember any rules about attire other than "no do rags, work boots, jeans" etc. Maybe it's a franchise-by-franchise thing.

Tomato
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
This illustrates why it is so very important to really understand the culture of a gym before you join it. I think someone who is experienced in lifting is going to know right away whether or not a gym that attempts to "meet the needs of the masses" is going to be a good fit for them or not.

I agree with Lydia on the above. I have to admit that I knew nothing about my gym when I signed up other than what the membership fee was, that it was very conveniently located close to home, and what the membership included.
But I really lucked out because I couldn't have found a better place to work out. My gym is not a franchise, not part of any chain, it simply is a family run business with one location only. I found out only much later that it is consider the only "hard-core" gym in town. (And I am a member :carrot::carrot::carrot:)

The weight lifting area is upstairs (the entire second floor is for w-lifters), downstairs is the reception, the studio for classes and cardio machines. And change rooms, of course.
There is some grunting going on upstairs, usually generated by a handful of very accomplished male w-lifters. Some weights ocassionally get dropped too, but it doesn't seem to bother anyway - other than in the dowstairs studio where every thud resonates very loudly. But I think everyone is used to that.

I have to say that this weekend, I watched "Tosca - Flexing at 49" - a second episode from an 8 epi series about Tosca Reno. For those of you to whom the name doesn't mean anything, Tosca is the wife of the publisher of the Oxygen magazine, promoter of clean eating, a fitness model and a book author. I think that she placed second earlier this year in the championship in Ohio. I didn't know about the show, I caught it by accident and it shows how Tosca trains in preparation for the event. Now she does quite some grunting, too, but it really doesn't surprise me seeing how hard she works.
If you'd like to see some pics of hers, her website is http://www.toscareno.com

Michelle1210
06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree with Lydia on the above. I have to admit that I knew nothing about my gym when I signed up other than what the membership fee was, that it was very conveniently located close to home, and what the membership included.
But I really lucked out because I couldn't have found a better place to work out. My gym is not a franchise, not part of any chain, it simply is a family run business with one location only. I found out only much later that it is consider the only "hard-core" gym in town. (And I am a member :carrot::carrot::carrot:)

The weight lifting area is upstairs (the entire second floor is for w-lifters), downstairs is the reception, the studio for classes and cardio machines. And change rooms, of course.
There is some grunting going on upstairs, usually generated by a handful of very accomplished male w-lifters. Some weights ocassionally get dropped too, but it doesn't seem to bother anyway - other than in the dowstairs studio where every thud resonates very loudly. But I think everyone is used to that.

I have to say that this weekend, I watched "Tosca - Flexing at 49" - a second episode from an 8 epi series about Tosca Reno. For those of you to whom the name doesn't mean anything, Tosca is the wife of the publisher of the Oxygen magazine, promoter of clean eating, a fitness model and a book author. I think that she placed second earlier this year in the championship in Ohio. I didn't know about the show, I caught it by accident and it shows how Tosca trains in preparation for the event. Now she does quite some grunting, too, but it really doesn't surprise me seeing how hard she works.
If you'd like to see some pics of hers, her website is http://www.toscareno.com

I would really love to see her before pics!! that would be truly inspirational ;)