Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default Starting to believe...

that carbs make me fat!
I dont know why, but I am starting to believe that carbs are the devil, and that without them I can weight less.

I have been thinking a lot about Atkins. I know I cant really rely on doing Atkins as it is said because I develop cholesterol easily, but I can just have tons of proteins and cut all carbs.

Just wanted to share what I feel!
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Refined carbs are the enemy. They provide nothing but calories and a blood sugar surge.

If you don't want to drastically cut carbs long term, you might want to try South Beach. It focuses on healthy eating with good carbs. When you first start out you can't have breads, rice, fruit, or some vegetables, but that phase lasts only 2 weeks, then you start adding back in the things you couldn't have the first two weeks and seeing how they affect you.

For a comparison between Atkins and South Beach, please look at this link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92524

I don't know much about Atkins, only enough to know I can't do it. But I thought telling you about South Beach might give you some more options. I'm on it because of high triglycerides and insulin resistance, and I need to control the amount and type of carbs I consume.

Good luck whatever you choose. And I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you about other programs that might work for what you are looking for. I pretty much only know what hasn't worked for me, and a little about things I thought about trying.

Last edited by Qualera; 06-10-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I did strict Atkins for awhile, lost some weight, but then started to feel really unhealthy in general, so I went back to including carbs. While I gained when I did that, it was short-lived. I felt better because of it. However, I am type 2 diabetic, so I still limit my carbs somewhat, like under 180gm/day. I eat more like a South Beach diet and try to limit fats to less than 80 gm/day, from a very short list. I make sure to get good fats, like from avocado or nuts, and olive oil every day. I banished the butter and dairy, as well as all refined carbs and as many processed foods as possible.

I'm fortunate in that I may be big, but my cholesterol is downright sexy...the one thing that genetics got right for me! So I do indulge in red meat once or twice a week. But I always choose grass-fed beef, bison or lamb. And I never eat processed meats, with the exception of uncured turkey bacon. And even that is only once a week.

The veggies I eat are more of the fibrous sort, like tomatoes, asparagus, beans, greens, etc. I don't eat a lot of fruit, because sugar is still sugar. One apple a day, maybe, or a grapefruit. I eat a lot of veggies.

Just making those changes led to a 45 lbs. loss for me. And I've kept it off for over a year.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #4  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I am not following any plan, just heatly foods and calorie counting. I was eating alot of fruit and really didnt lose much weight. I cut out the fruit for a couple of days and Voila! down 5 lbs in 2 days. I guess you just have to find out what is right for you.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Atkins when done correctly is a great plan, my DH has been on it for years (he's on maintenance). He eats very lean meats, 1-2 oz of cheese a day, loads of veggies, low carb bread (a slice or 2) and his blood work is great. Before he started atkins his cholesterol was horrible, I mean horrible. BUT !! everyone is different so you might want to ask your doctor what is best for you.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do we're behind you !!!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I did strict Atkins for awhile, lost some weight, but then started to feel really unhealthy in general, so I went back to including carbs.
This is an all too common misconception of Atkins....or truthfully, any eating plan. The Atkins Nutritional Approach consists of 4 phases....Induction, On Going Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance. On Induction, carbs are limited to 20 net carbs per day (net carbs = total carbs minus dietary fiber)....12-15 of those 20 carbs should be coming from salads & veggies on the acceptable foods list. Atkins Induction is for a minimum of 2 weeks (it can be done safely for longer periods of time). During the 2nd phase of Atkins (On Going Weight Loss), you slowly add back foods in 5 carb increments in the order of the carb ladder. This determines your personal carb intake for continuing to lose weight or for maintaining your loss, whichever the case may be. Atkins is not a no-carb eating plan, its a low-carb eating plan! If you are not including carbs while attempting to do Atkins, you are not doing Atkins correctly. This is the primary reason I can not stress reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 & prior editions) BEFORE beginning this program.

Addressing cholesterol issues. I'd personally recommend reading Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's book The Great Cholesterol Con, as well as, Gary Taubes Good Calories Bad Calories. In the meantime, you may want to read the following articles:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...ats_phony.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

I realize no 2 people are the same, what works for someone may not work for someone else. That being said, I am very pleased to report my DBF had great success with dramatically reducing his cholesterol & triglycerides eating Atkins style and not going on a dangerous drug like Lipitor as the Dr. hastily suggested to him. High cholesterol is heredity in his family...he is 1 of 6 and all his siblings, as well as his Mom are on statin drugs for cholesterol issues. Before he began eating low carb, these were his numbers:

Total Cholesterol - 275 Now - 195
LDL- 191 (Very High) Now - 123
HDL- 47 Now - 49
Triglycerides- 184 (Borderline High) Now - 114

I'd like to stress, Atkins is not the "all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter" diet most people seem to have the misconception it is. Done correctly Atkins eliminates bad, refined carbs like white flour & sugar. Its about eating real foods, not processed foods. I would also like to stress...."diets do not work"....if you want successful & permanant weight loss, you must be willing to change your eating habits for the rest of your life.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-10-2009 at 09:58 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #7  
9/10/09 - Bye Carbs

Height: 5"7

Haha, you shouldn't say carbs are the devil... they're necessary for proper brain function! The devil is overindulgence, just as you can't blame money for man's corruption.

Low carb diets are like the garden of Eden, with a tree of chocolate bars and cake. Ignore that inner snake and enjoy the garden around you!
Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #8  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

I limit myself to no more than 15 carbs per meal and no sugar,flour, bread, potatoes, or pasta.

and most of the time I am way under the 15

Last edited by curlylocks; 10-15-2009 at 12:36 AM.
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I feel the same way. My body does not lose weight just by cutting calories! I need to limit the carbs. I lost most of my weight by counting calories. And it did work for a while. Then I hit a plateau.

I exercise regularly and am currently doing P90X. I have been at a plateau for 4 months. I just lowered my carb intake and I've lost 3.5 pounds in a week! Thats so great for me. Finally I found what I needed to keep going.

Not everyone is the same. I know people who eat carbs at every meal. Oatmeal for breakfast, rice or a pasta dish for lunch, and something similar for dinner. They are skinny and healthy. If I did that I would stay at the same weight and I would feel a little puffy. I wouldn't gain but I don't lose. I know I won't eat like this forever but I need to stick with eating just protein, veggies, eggwhite, milk and nuts as long as I'm losing. I'm not following any plan and to tell you the truth I haven't really been keeping track of or counting my carbs. I just know what makes me gain.

Try starting out eating less carbs and see how your body reacts. If you lose then keep going! Good Luck!
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #10  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

I posed this question in another thread, where they were discussing calories vs. carbs.

my take is that some people can not eat carbs. and Iam really wondering is this a metabolic issue relating to

people who were thin as children but put on weight over a few years? (can lose cutting just calories)

Or Is there something going on with people who have been overweight all their lives? (can not lose w/o cutting carbs)?

like myself, I see pics of myself from 1st grade- I was overweight then, sure I've dieted down to a still overweight range but smaller.. but never got to what is considered "normal weight"

I've come to the realization that I even have to limit "good carbs".

I also believe that persons who have been overweight since childhood have an issue processing carbs and its not just a question of exercise and cutting calories
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote