100 lb. Club - How are you doing when it comes to taking care of yourself?

thinpossible
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
In addition to losing weight, I'm trying to take better care of myself all the way round. I had my first mammogram on Friday, my annual pap smear today, which I haven't had in a couple of years. Going to the dermatologist next month, need to have my teeth cleaned. But there's still a lot of areas I need to take care of myself better. I don't really spend any time fixing myself up, I need to keep my house cleaner, I need to find some outside interests, I need to put some savings away instead of spending every check. At least I have no debt.

So how are you doing when it comes to taking care of yourself?

beerab
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I think I'm doing much better- I take the time to do my hair in the mornings and my makeup- I try to get in to bed earlier on nights there is nothing I watch on TV. I also went to the dentist a few months ago (ug $1500 later!), and I've also gotten rid of/stopped wearing clothes that are ridiculously huge on me, and so on :)

Delphi
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
You know, I've always taken pride in the way I look and always made sure, regardless of my size, that I appeared very well put-together and at least beautiful in my eyes. But keeping regular doctor visits, is something I definitely need to do. Ya know, think I'll go make an appointment right now. Thanks! :hug:

scarletmeshell
06-08-2009, 03:38 PM
This is wonderful to hear, that you Ladies are taking better care of yourselves. I am trying to get more sleep, keep my house cleaner, taking better care of my hair, nails, and skin, and like beerab, I have stopped wearing the ridiculously huge clothes. If you put your keys in your pants pocket, and your pants fall down, it is time for new pants!!

dragonwoman64
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
yes, I recently had a gp and gyn check up after too many years, as well as a mammogram. I got new glasses (put that off too long, those things can get expensive). I really let things go in that vein for too long. Still need to do the teeth, but I've always been good about brushing and flossing. those things can slip by too easily, I do think they're important.

I see it as an overall package of me taking better care of myself too. it's led to me being better able to eat well and start losing weight again.

Alana in Canada
06-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Ouch.

I'm not quite ready to face the doctor's office and the dentist, yet.

It's been years.

Smiling_Sara
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I need to work on a lot of areas. I've gotten the eating better and excersizing. But I haven't seen my girly doc in 2 years, I need to clean and keep my area where i live clean. I need to not spend as much money i as do so I can save for a home. ( something I really want, but is hard on just my income, and I'm about as single as they come ) I also need some outside interests so I can meet more ppl my age.

Tracy
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't take care of myself.Especially when I am not on a plan. I just have no motivation.Thankfully,I do shower& brush my teeth every day. But that is about it.

kaw
06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for reminding me that I need to make appointments for annual physical, pap smear, and mammogram!

[1/2 hour later].

Done. Thanks, gals!

Fortunately, I'm up to date on dentist and eye appointments.

Be strong,
Kim

YogaGal08
06-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Dentist=Check
Eyes = Check
OBGYN = Check
Regular doctor = FAIL - I have not ever had a primary care doctor in my adult life. It's on the list of things to do but unfortunately the waiting list in MA for a primary is pretty long. I'm looking at around 6 months until I could get in to see someone for the first time. I'll get there.

Things I'm doing otherwise..I WILL PAY OFF MY CREDIT CARDS THIS YEAR! I've been successfully paying down my balance and hope to be rid of it by the end of the year...which will then allow me to focus on paying more towards my car and student loans. I also want to get to a place where I can build up some savings.

Today is day 10 no smoking and no drinking. There have been a couple of bumpy spots but those are my absolute worst habits when it comes to my health outside of my weight. I will count days as long as it's necessary. My goal is to never smoke again and keep the alcohol at the occasional level. There is just so much money and calories that I pour into social drinking. It's been hard this past week drinking seltzer but no one really bugged me about it so that's a good thing!

As far as my appearance... I am generally pretty put together...my clothes are getting a bit tattered but I refuse to buy anything new at this size. I need to get better about washing my face before bed...I'm totally a 'makup to bed' offender!

Hyacinth
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I've been pretty good about doctor and dentist visits over the years.

I work from home so I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I do try to dress somewhat cute (albeit casual) even if I'm home alone all day. I brush my teeth and eat vegetables regularly, but I could stand to take better care of my nails, and I need to do some exercise and stretching regularly. Going to bed at a good time is another problem for me ... I like to stay up pretty late.

My areas of care that I have been addressing lately are clutter. Sorting through old boxes of junk, finding new homes for a lot of it. I'm pretty good about keeping my place tidy, but I could stand to give it a thorough scrubbing.

Oh yeah, I have credit paid off (except student loans), I save pretty regularly, and I keep pretty good grips on spending.

cfmama
06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm doing well in all areas except my teeth. I have three root canals that need crowns but I'm kinda waiting until I can afford it ;) They've had the ROOT CANAL part done, they just need to be finished.

Buttercup
06-08-2009, 11:28 PM
This is interesting. Before I started this journey I did not keep up with my health or dental appointments. Now I do and am thrilled to finally be taking the bull by the horns. It feels good to have a doctor notice you have lost weight by looking at your face first! I didn't feel I was worth it before I guess. Now I am taking control of all aspects of my health care and life. It's heart warming to know that others have dealt with these feelings too! We are worth the extra effort! ;)

KimikoD
06-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Let's see...for me, I've done the doctor check ups (just had a baby in February, so I couldn't avoid those!) and unfortunately they found some precancerous cells on my cervix wall. Have another appointment in a few weeks to discuss my options. Since it's precancerous though, I'm not letting this get me down.

Other than that, I too have been a "wear make up to bed" offender, and that's one of the goals I gave myself, so for the last month I've washed my face every night! (there's this great product by Origins, called Modern Friction and I LOVE it....it makes your face feel so soft and supple after using it for just a week).

I've also set a goal for my family, to pay off all of our debt (with the exception of the mortgage) in the next 2 years. One thing I've done to supplement my income to pay stuff off is to set up an EBay account and sell off junk (one person's junk is another's treasure). So far, in the 2 weeks since I've started, I've made about $95.00 (it was a bit more, but minus their fees). It's not a ton, but every little bit counts, and that's $95 more I can pay towards a credit card and less interest I'll owe!!

The last thing I've tried to start focusing on is my skin. I'm completely worried that when I lose the weight I want to, my skin is going to have lost it's elasticity and I'll have loose skin and stretch marks everywhere. So if anyone has any suggestions....I'll take them! I want to get any kind of jump start on this I possibly can!! :flow2:

HVEECK
06-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Before I started losing weight, I totally neglected my dr. appts. I never went to the OBGYN (unless I was pregnant), rarely had my teeth cleaned, didn't take care of my skin or nails. What is that about? I wonder why it is that a lot of us feel that just because we are heavy, we dont feel like we should take care of other aspects of our health either. Now, I have regular teeth cleaning, just went to the dermatologist, apply lotion every day, have beautiful nails, and I am going to the OBGYN next week :D it really feels good to take care of myself for a change ;)

TraceyElaine
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Ya know I have never taken very good care of myself. I am the type of person who is constantly taking care of everyone else. My kids, my hubby, neighbors, family. Need help...ask me i'll do it. But noone has ever returned the favor and i neglect myself endlessly. My house was always spotless but somedays I was too busy cleaning it to even get out of my PJ's.

As of late i have thrown myself into my exercise whick i LOVE!!! and I am eating better, which I am getting better at. I haven't spent the day in my jammies in weeks. There have even been days that the dishes dont get done and i didn't explode lol. I am slowly trying to make myself a priority.

rockinrobin
06-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Oh back in the day I avoided doctors and dentists unless it was a dire emergency. And a few times because I avoided them unless it was an emergency - it became one. I wound up with 3 root canals because I didn't go for regular visits to the dentist. And of course those 3 were the only cavitities I ever had.

Now I go to the dentist yearly, all right it's not every 6 months, but it's a lot better.

Went for a pap smear last month. A mammogram 2 weeks ago. My once a year physical in September. I now LOVE going to the doctor. I love getting my BP taken, my weight and cholesterol and all that stuff. I feel soooo good about myself for doing it. I truly believe (now of course) in taking preventive measures.

I now find the time to slather on lotion every day. Wear make up. Do my hair. Put on perfume, keep my toenails nicely polished. My fingernails are always neat. My house is tidy. Laundry is never overflowing. My paperwork is better, not perfect. I'm paying down my debt rather nicely. Started saving money very nicely as well, even with these hard times. My house is incredibly well stocked, not only with the produce, but with non-perishables as well. Also completely stocked with toiletries. I dress beautifully 7 days a week. I exercise regularly.

Oh my gosh, reading this back, it just hit me, once again, how AWESOME this whole "weight loss" thing has been. I enjoy even the mundane things now.

Losing the weight has improved my life in many, many areas, I just can't even begin to tell you. :)

rochemist
06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I am very good at all this stuff, but I need to update my doctor and denist list. Thanks for the reminder.

Jen415
06-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Taking care of our overall health is so important! Example: What good would it do us to be skinny if all our teeth were rotted out? Kinda counterproductive in the looks department.

Keeping up on yearly gynecological exams, mammograms, monthly breast exams, yearly bloodwoork, etc. is so important. It is usually at one of these well visits that women find an abnormality of some sort, and it makes it much easier to deal with in the early stages rather than later after it has been put off.

I am viewing my upcoming hysterectomy as an opportunity to start a new appreciation for my body and my life. Kind of a "do-over", if you know what I mean! :)

thinpossible
06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Ouch.

I'm not quite ready to face the doctor's office and the dentist, yet.

It's been years. Why not make an appointment?! I swear it's not that bad. I needed to start getting regular mammograms starting about 3 years ago (I'm 43 and my mom had breast cancer in her 40s) I finally went on Friday, and it was really no big deal. I don't think I could get to the point where I love going, like Robin, but it's no worse than any other errand.

Oh back in the day I avoided doctors and dentists unless it was a dire emergency. And a few times because I avoided them unless it was an emergency - it became one. I wound up with 3 root canals because I didn't go for regular visits to the dentist. And of course those 3 were the only cavitities I ever had.

Now I go to the dentist yearly, all right it's not every 6 months, but it's a lot better.

Went for a pap smear last month. A mammogram 2 weeks ago. My once a year physical in September. I now LOVE going to the doctor. I love getting my BP taken, my weight and cholesterol and all that stuff. I feel soooo good about myself for doing it. I truly believe (now of course) in taking preventive measures.

I now find the time to slather on lotion every day. Wear make up. Do my hair. Put on perfume, keep my toenails nicely polished. My fingernails are always neat. My house is tidy. Laundry is never overflowing. My paperwork is better, not perfect. I'm paying down my debt rather nicely. Started saving money very nicely as well, even with these hard times. My house is incredibly well stocked, not only with the produce, but with non-perishables as well. Also completely stocked with toiletries. I dress beautifully 7 days a week. I exercise regularly.

Oh my gosh, reading this back, it just hit me, once again, how AWESOME this whole "weight loss" thing has been. I enjoy even the mundane things now.

Losing the weight has improved my life in many, many areas, I just can't even begin to tell you. :)
When you were overweight did you keep a tidy house and have good hygiene? If not, what method did you use to establish those habits?

rockinrobin
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
When you were overweight did you keep a tidy house and have good hygiene? If not, what method did you use to establish those habits?

My house was tidy-ish, but it's waaay better now. I tried to keep my home up as it was something that I could take care of instead of myself.

Good hygiene? Yes. I showered and washed my hair everyday, brushed my teeth. But I've gotten even more into it. My nails, the putting on the lotion, the make-up, the perfume and that kind of stuff. Also of course, since I have more options, I now dress waaaay better.

Now since I enjoy life so much more and am so much happier overall, I just want EVERYthing - better. I LOVE coming home at the end of the day to a spotless kitchen and bedroom. I derive pleasure from it. It relaxes me and gives me a sense of calm and peace.

The same thing goes with my nails and lotion, etc. I want EVERYthing to be better. Best. No more settling for "good enough".

The mail is another example. I used to let that get way out of hand as well. Every piece of mail that comes into the house now, gets opened and dated. Things that have a deadline get highlighted in a yellow marker.

I don't neglect things anymore. I deal with them. I face them. No more avoidance.

So the habits, just came about from wanting *more* and like I said - no more settling for mediocre.

Actually, I would use straightening up my house as a diversion from eating in the beginning of my journey. If I wanted to eat, though not truly hungry - I would re-organize a shelf, a drawer and that kind of thing.

I suppose the bottom line is that, I require more from myself now which has trickled down into every area of my life. I don't let things pile up anymore or get out of hand. I'm on top of things. I became "on top of" my weight/health and I am "on top of" everything else as well. :)

rockinrobin
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
If not, what method did you use to establish those habits?

Okay. Been thinking about this some more.

Another big factor, besides no more settling for mediocrity in my life, was learning, establishing and demanding discipline and self-control from myself, which is what was sorely needed in order to get my weight off and now keeping it off. Also making and keeping rules that was also vital to losing the pounds - and keeping them off.

A great quote comes to mind (I love quotes), this one from Julie Andrews of all people:

“Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.”

I couldn't agree more. Because boy oh boy, do I feel as if I've been set free - to fly and soar and prosper and live and enjoy. :)

TJFitnessDiva
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I do my yearly exams with a GP and GYN...always have. I don't have insurance though so unless it's serious like a broken bone or bleeding out my ears I don't seek any medical help. My mom is a RN so I usually run to her ;)

I just recently started going back to the dentist though. Good thing I really make it a point to take care of my teeth. The machine sounds in a dental office makes me sick to my stomach....so much so that when I was in Veterinary school I had to wind up dropping out when I got pregnant. Morning sickness plus my weak stomach in the dental work class made me way too sick :lol:

Thighs Be Gone
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Thinpossible,

Good for you for posting this. I am trying to do the same thing you are.

I am definitely taking better care of me--I had tons of dental work done this year. I also had a full physical in December (except for PAP) with a full set of labs. I hadn't been to the doctor in almost five years.

Yesterday I cleaned out my drawers in my closet. I got out THREE trash bags of things. Before I started my journey I was all about exterior. My house looked nice walking through--just be careful when opening cabinets an drawers! Now, I am the opposite. I like the areas that are concealed to be tidy. Surface areas get a going over every day but I don't obsess about it anymore.

My grooming habits are much better too. I like keeping my eyebrows done and keeping my body smooth and lotioned. I quit manicures and pedicures--now I do them myself. Since I run, my french pedicure was rubbing off the first two or three days.

I also love having my pantry and fridge beautiful. I bought a several very nice containers with open/close lids for the items I buy from bulk bins--steel cut oats, regular oatmeal, almonds, raisins, dates, mueslix, etc. When I open my fridge I see gorgeous colors and everything nicely there waiting for me. Who wants fast food when I have THAT to come home to?

I am getting really good at seeing something and throwing it away if I am not certain if I will ever use it. We have a huge recycle bin and I am even priding myself now on seperating things out and recycling all I can.

Again--great post. Thanks.

dragonwoman64
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
re taking off makeup before bed, I use Ponds face wipes, they're great and easy.

wow, looking around my desk, I really need to get into the organizing mode. I hate filing.

elle w 19
06-10-2009, 03:04 AM
I don't think I saw anyone post this--but what about taking care of yourself by getting it on with your man? hehe!

Being uncomfortable with my own body, I am so uninterested in it. But...I often hear how sexuality is important to our health in several ways.

Just a thought!

Creeech
06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I feel ya..ever since I packed on the pounds I kind of let myself go and I regret it. Now that I'm in the right mindset, I've been to the dentist where I got my teeth cleaned and my cavity refilled since my last filling came out. I've also been to the gynecologist, gastroenterologist for my acid reflux (which is now gone from healthy eating!! :D), the eye doctor for my iritis, and my primary doctor for bloodwork and a physical. I can't afford new clothes right now, or else I would be looking more "presentable", so to speak. I have some jeans in my closet that I bought YEARS ago with tags still on them because they were too small when I first bought them and forgot to return them. Hopefully I can fit into them soon! :)

Creeech
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't neglect things anymore. I deal with them. I face them. No more avoidance.

That's exactly what I had the most trouble with, running away from my problems. I'm ready to take everything head on now and it feels great! Great reply :hug:

Sandi
06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I have always gone to the dentist every 6 months and the gyno every year. I am very good about being showered with makeup and jewelry.

Where I need to improve is definitely the makeup before bed and the clean house. It could be soooo much better.