General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 03:59 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default A too much multivitiamin?

I have been taking a 'run of the mill' multivitamin of the centrum type for awhile but I recently bought a more 'heavy duty' variety. This one happens to be by TwinLabs. Here is some of what is in one capsule:

A high potency yeast-free multiple vitamin and mineral formula.
One hard gelatin capsule supplies:
Beta-Carotene (pro-vitamin A) 10000 IU
Vitamin D (from natural form vitamin D-3) 400 IU
Vitamin C 150 mg
Natural Vitamin E (succinate) 100 IU
Vitamin B-1 (thiamine) 25 mg
Vitamin B-2 (riboflavin) 25 mg
Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) 25 mg
Vitamin B-12 (cobalamin
concentrate) 100 mcg

The Vitamin A and B-6, and B 12 are much more then in my old vitamin. I think the B-6 or B 12 is something like 1,666% of the RDA.

I tried reading up on the internet and most pages I found said 10,000 IU of Vitamin A is a lot but not dangerous. I weigh around 190lbs. Let's say that part of my daily output is now yellow and I just wonder if this is too much vitamin, too much for my body to process or still in the safe range? I feel fine, good even although it has still only been a few days.

Larry

Old 06-20-2002, 09:39 PM   #2  
it's always something

Regarding the yellowing, are you noticing it anywhere else, such as your skin? I found this from the Intelihealth site, about beta carotene, so this is probably what is causing the yellow "output":

Quote:
Warnings:
Do not take large doses of beta-carotene unless your doctor told you to.

Possible side effects: Some side effects are not serious. However, tell your doctor if these bother you or do not go away: More common -- Yellowing of palms, hands, soles of feet, or face (this may be a sign that your dose of beta-carotene as a dietary supplement is too high) Rare -- Diarrhea; dizziness; joint pain; unusual bleeding or bruising Also tell your doctor if you have any other side effects.
Dr Weil says beta carotene is a safe form of Vitamin A, which is good news at least.

Quote:
The form of vitamin A I recommend in our Vitamin Advisor is beta-carotene PLUS other mixed carotenoids. The body can make all the vitamin A it needs from beta-carotene, which is not toxic, unlike the animal forms of vitamin A. Carotenoids are plant pigments found in orange and yellow fruits and vegetables and dark leafy greens. Unlike vitamin a, beta-carotene is water-soluble and does not accumulate in the body (although very high intakes – 100,000 IU or more a day -- can cause an orange tint to your skin). Aside from being unsightly, this side effect is innocuous.
Oh, this reminds me of when I was a kid... I was hooked on Spaghettios, ate them every day for lunch. Mom used to tell me that I would turn orange if I didn't stop eating them so much and I thought she was kidding. But I did, my face turned orange, being darkest around my mouth!
Closed Thread