Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Cycling and a sore rumb...x.x

Since the nice weather has started up, I've decided to start riding my bike to and from work. Me and my husband live on a military base and I work at the subway on base so I don't have that far to go. But after only one day of riding.....my behind is so sore I can barely sit OWIE! lol Does anyone else have this problem? What are some good brands of bike shorts that might help? Or is this something that I just need to get used to? lol any help is greatly appreciated!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Bike shorts with a pad will definitely help. I have Canari brand bike shorts and Sugoi brand tri shorts (with a smaller pad), but I think you need to try on a few and then pick. Even with bike shorts you will experience a certain amount of saddle soreness as your butt gets use to this new position and feel. But the discomfort will wear off and then you'll only get it when you push past your normal limits (time and mileage).

Congrats on biking more, it's wonderful exercise and a very green thing to do for the environment! YAY YOU!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I've found padded bike shorts, and also a padded seat cover, to be helpful.
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #4  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Even with bike shorts you will experience a certain amount of saddle soreness as your butt gets use to this new position and feel. But the discomfort will wear off and then you'll only get it when you push past your normal limits (time and mileage).
+1

You'll get soreness for the first several rides, then your butt will get used to it. Although padded shorts are good to have, I've never found them to do anything for the initial soreness that always happens when you start riding after a hiatus.

Congrats on starting to bike commute though. I'd love to. My commute is only 3.5 miles, but there are limited routes (have to cross an interstate), busy roads, no sidewalks, and very little shoulder.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is going to sound kinky, but I'm going to add something I learned from my own experience: Do not wear underwear beneath the bike shorts. Your underwear may chafe and negate the good done by the padding inside the shorts.

(Probably everyone knows this but me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Can I ask how far you're biking? If it's not very far and you're sore more than a few days you might look at getting a new bike seat. They make all sorts of seats and some are way more comfortable than others.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I have an ergonomicaly correct seat and have not had a butt problem in 4 years since purchasing this seat and I often bike 30k+/day...Google for an image, they look weird but they work well...

Here's a funny looking one http://www.spiderflex.com/ Mine is similar but not quite..

Last edited by Ilene; 06-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
This is going to sound kinky, but I'm going to add something I learned from my own experience: Do not wear underwear beneath the bike shorts. Your underwear may chafe and negate the good done by the padding inside the shorts.

(Probably everyone knows this but me.
Yeah, this is an excellent thing to note: definitely don't wear anything under the bike shorts to avoid chafe city!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

No gitch under the shorts!
A proper bike seat!
Padded shorts!
Stick to it -- your butt toughens up. It hurts because you are using parts of your posterior that aren't used to being used!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-08-2009 at 01:41 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #10  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thanks ladies! You have all been very helpful! And for the person who asked, my commute is only about 2 miles i believe. I have noticed that since I've posted last, my bumb is getting used to the position! As far as the no underwear, i did not know that, lol!

Once again, thank you all and I will definitely keep on riding 'til it gets too cold!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Lol. Yeah 2 miles to work I would probably wear my uniform (and undies) and then just replace the seat if it still hurts My commute's about 7 miles each way and while I don't do it every day I wear normal clothes and just hit the showers when I get there. Good luck!
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

Height: 5'6"

I have horses and finally started riding again last week. Wow I forgot how much your bum hurts when you take time off from riding. I know in time it goes away and you don't hurt after riding, I am guessing it is the same for riding bike.
Phyxius79 is offline   Reply With Quote