Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/196/135

Height: 5'8"

Default If you ever needed more motivation...

I was just flipping channels when I hit the discovery health channel. Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic was on. I watched it for a few minutes and shuddered to think that these people started like the rest of us. Some of them can't get around their homes, others can't even get out of bed without major assistance from a crane. It scarred me. I was only 240 at my heaviest, but I never want to be over 200 again.

If any of you are ready to give up, that show is on marathon today. No one on this planet was born obese. Maybe we didn't have much choice of food when we were younger, but any of those we can start to fix once we get our own transport and money. At a certain point it's all on you.

Good luck everyone!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

I'm watching it right now! Also, I think you miss-typed your current weight. It says 296.

Last edited by Skinnycow; 06-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/196/135

oops... thanks, I'm so used to putting a 2 on my number ^-^
Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I've watched this show before--thanks for the reminder about it.

What I find horrifying is that the patients order food delivery on the sly.

Jay
Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've seen pretty much all the episodes, the one where the young 27 year old girl dies really got to me. But at the same time I wonder about all the enabling people in their lives. I mean at one point, if you can't leave your bed, SOMEONE is bringing you food... If it were me and my spouse/brother/sister/mom or whoever was demanding I go and get them (insert name of horrendous, calorie-laden snack/meal here) I would say, yeah, yell at me all you want, here's some carrots, deal with it. You want those cookies, get your @ss out of bed, go to the store and get them yourself. And by the way, any delivery person who shows up at the door will be turned away. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get it...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231.6/220/209

Height: 5'6"

As I sternly told myself earlier today, "You're either going to do your workout or watch a show about a bunch of people who didn't."

Well, I did my workout...and now I'm watching anyway. It is hard to sit through, but like you say, extremely motivational.

Last edited by leigh; 06-07-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #7  
Slow and sure chick

I've watched these shows as well. DH thinks it's sick to watch them, but I think it's a situation of "there but for the grace of God go I".

There was another show on recently called "I eat 30,000 calories a day". The severely obese person asks for food but the family won't bring them as much as they want. So they call take-out and get this - They put a basket out the window with the money in it and they have the delivery guy put the food in the basket.

As long as a person kids themselves, they can't improve their situation.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've seen a few of these shows as well.

You are so right, there is no doubt in my mind, if I had kept on going the way that I was, I could have eaten myself up to who knows how many pounds. 400? 500? More? There was nothing to stop me. Well, I guess there was something to stop me - ME. Thank G-d.

I'm wondering though. Folks who have never had to lose over 100 lbs, they probably wonder how people like ME got to be 287 lbs. In other words, what makes someones cut-off point, the point at which they decide to do something - and do it - 30 lbs overweight? 50? Or like me 165? And everything in between and above?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-08-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I remember this show well. I was busy most of yesterday or it would have been a great thing to watch again. If anyone knows about it airing again, please PM me.

I seem to recall on that show the hospital allowing delivery drivers in there with food. Does anyone else recall that happening and if so, why????
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Robin originally posted - I'm wondering though. Folks who have never had to lose over 100 lbs, they probably wonder how people like ME got to be 287 lbs. In other words, what makes someones cut-off point, the point at which they decide to do something - and do it - 30 lbs overweight? 50? Or like me 165? And everything in between and above?
I have wondered the same thing. Why did I let myself get to that point? If my knees had held up would I have gotten larger? I think that I will be forever grateful for bad painful knees.

I tried to watch Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic last night but just could not bear to. That could easily have been me. It did inspire me to maintain the commitment that I have made.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Robin you're exactly right. What is the cut off? For me, there really wasn't one. Looking back on how I ate, laid around, smoked and drank, I can't believe I wasn't OVER 400 lbs. Or more. I was certainly well on my way.

I went from about 190 to maybe 315 in under six months late 2003...then crept up to near 370 over the next four years. It just kept "sneaking" up on me, except it wasn't really sneaking, I just refused to be mindful of what I was doing to myself.

I haven't seen one of these shows since I restarted my weightloss journey last August but I remember the horrid, uncomfortable, sad, miserable, guilty feelings I would have watching them when I was super morbidly obese. And to be honest, I would also feel a little snobby and superior since *I* wasn't trapped in my home, or in a bed...but who was I kidding? No one. I surely would have gone that route eventually had I kept to my horrible eating/drinking/smoking/laziness habits...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I find that 'cut off' notion fascinating too. Does anyone have any links or books or anything?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I find that 'cut off' notion fascinating too. Does anyone have any links or books or anything?
Yup. I mean those folks that are 700 lbs, they must think that I'm (just using me as an example, it could be any one of us) so *lucky*, that I caught it when I did - so early on and would be grateful to be in that position. Then you've got those that would be horrified beyond belief and can't understand for the life of them how anyone could let it get to 287 lbs.

It is fascinating, when you come to think of it. The thing is, I just can't think of it. Not at the moment, anyway, if at all. It's too difficult and impossible to decipher. And it's getting my stomach in knots.

And Susan, your signature kind of alludes to what we're speaking about here. I've noticed it several times. I think it's apropos to what we're speaking about.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-08-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I wonder if there are any studies or anything.

What makes the difference between me (who's never been over 165) or my husband (who's never been over 210) or the OP who stopped at 240 or Thighs who stopped at 215 or ... ?

I often refer to Anne M Fletcher's book Thin for Life (love it!) Her subjects started at many various stages of overweightness but I don't think she ever addresses any comparables WRT 'cut off points'.

It's probably as complex as the reasons for being overweight in the first place.

Last edited by srmb60; 06-08-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: missed an entire word!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

wish I was home to watch. Or at least tape em.
Closed Thread