100 lb. Club - The Daily Plate

View Full Version : The Daily Plate

Creeech
06-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey everyone! Just a quick question before I have to head back to studying for my final :dizzy:

I've been using The Daily Plate online to track my food intake and exercise every day. What's up with 'Net Calories'? Now let's say hypothetically I've eaten 1500 calories and I exercised, making my net calories 1000. Am I -supposed- to eat more after that or what? I was trying to research it last night but everyone has construed visions on what you're supposed to do so I figured I'd ask you chickies :D

A little off topic but what scales do all of you use? I have this really horrible one that consecutively read a different weight every time I stepped on it. :mad: I could also MAYBE contribute that to my problem, but I stepped on it a few times this morning and the scale decided not to have multiple personalities today :lol:

Meh, I seem to be doing everything right and I've actually gained half a pound. I'm going to tough it out and stick to my plan, I know the scale will budge eventually :crossed:

Thanks in advance for any advice! Back to the books..
-Stephy

Rosinante
06-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't eat any more calories. Me, I eat my 1400-1500 budget whether I exercise or not. Seems to be working so far.

rockinrobin
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
No, don't eat more. Eating more due to exercise and activity would be completely and totally counterproductive. We are looking to create a bigger calorie deficit in order to lose weight. We can only go so low with our calories, so we therefore turn to exercise to help make the difference.

I keep my calories burned totally and completely separate from my calories consumed. I eat what I eat and I burn what I burn. One has nothing to do with the other. Any calories burned through exercise and activity is a bonus. Since those "Calories burned" calculators are HIGHLY inaccurate, I don't bother to track them one iota. The only thing I keep track of is my calories ingested.

I have a Tanita scale. Gives me the same reading time and time again.

synger
06-06-2009, 11:57 AM
That's one thing I hate about Daily Plate... they automatically add in the calories they think you burned in exercise to your total. I don't trust their numbers, and I don't want to see what the so-called adjusted or "net" total is. I want my calories to be my calories, and I want to track my exercise. I don't want them connected. *sighs*

However, they have an easier database for finding things than FitDay, so I've pretty much switched to Daily Plate.

Tummy Girl
06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree with the others, don't adjust. I eat toward the higher end of my calories to lose (from 1200-1600 a day) becuase I'm very active with excersie. If I don't eat enough I get super tired and cardio becomes almost impossible. It's about listening to your body and seeing what it needs but I would never eat more than my body feels it needs to satisy the tracking program.

I've never tried the daily plate but I use sparkpeople to track and it keeps everything separate. I've used fitday too and it doesn't combine things either.

Slashnl
06-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I use Daily Plate because I like the food tracking capabilities, but I'm with the others on tracking the calories burned. I don't track that there. Sparkpeople is better with that part, but their food database isn't as good as the Daily Plate. I've tried so many of these tracking places and I think it boils down to what is important to you. You might try a couple of them to decide!