100 lb. Club - what diet are you on?

View Full Version : what diet are you on?

thinkthin7
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
i just found 3fatchicks and this is my first post. i am just wondering what diet plans you are all following. there isn't a specific "diet" i am on, just trying to eat lots of proteins/veggies/fruit and a LITTLE whole grains. i am nursing my baby now so i eat a bit more as well. also, what types of exercise do you do and how often? i've only been dieting for a week now and aimed for 6 days of cardio and strength training. look forward to getting to know everyone :)

freckfrecks
06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
:welcome3:
You'll find lots of support and information here! Good Luck!

kim83
06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't follow a "diet" I've been watching what I eat, making healthier things and eating less. I've also been walking and doing workout dvds about 3 times a week. I have a blog that keeps me motivate and acountable.

thejourney26.blogspot.com

Devsmama
06-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm not on a diet, I count calories and generally been keeping carbs under 100grams.

Thighs Be Gone
06-05-2009, 10:39 PM
No diet here. I calorie count and focus on whole foods.

CLCSC145
06-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I am eating around 1600 calories a day, healthy stuff that is along the lines of a diabetic plan (though I'm not diabetic).

chickiegirl
06-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I just use common sense, watch my portion size and focus on trying to eat whole foods, or those with less/little processing.

Exercise is usually 3-4 days a week, walking around an hour. Have recently incorporated stair climbing because after two months walking wasn't getting my heart rate up like I wanted it anymore. Also do weights 2-3 days a week, with some crunches.

Just start slow and you'll soon figure out what works for you. Good luck and welcome!! :)

Daimere
06-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm on Weight Watchers. Last time I was on plan, I used Leslie Sansone to workout. Now, I've been doing Turbo Jam to exercise.

mel hughes
06-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm doing the Weight Watchers diet. I have several friends who have had a lot of success with this plan, and it is pretty easy for me. Allows me to have a variety of foods. I never looked at nutrition labels until I joined WW.

I'm also walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes a day. I've done 3 days this week, although I intend to do at least 20 minutes of something every day.
It is pretty difficult for me, but I feel good when I've finished!

canadianangel
06-05-2009, 11:23 PM
welcome, this is a great place for support and to meet amazing ppl.

Im doing the Elance bodywise protien shakes..basically having 1 or two shakes a day depending on my schedule..they have worked wonders for me...

ang

kiramira
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Weight Watchers for me. If I don't account for everything, it all goes to heck within a couple of weeks! So sensible eating/intuitive eating is out for me. And if I listen to what my body wants, it generally says something like "Ding Dongs. I need DING DONGS..."

So, I have a plan that I can stay with forever, because this is what works for me now and this is what it is going to take if I want to keep the weight off.

Kira

Qualera
06-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm doing Weight Watchers right now, but am pretty sure that I'll be switching to South Beach. I'm insulin resistant so something lower carb would be better for me from what I've read. I signed up for Weight Watchers before I did any research on what I should be eating for my condition, actually before I knew there was anything to do different for insulin resistance.

Arctic Mama
06-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I am doing Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis' "The Don't Go Hungry Diet". It's very common sense and easy to follow, and is helping me repair my deepest food issues and get moving again. It involves no counting of anything and it is extremely natural for me, which has been a Godsend after the low-fat approach of Weightwatchers, which left me really unsatisfied. Anyway, I'm quite thrilled with it, though it is not well-known outside of Australia.

Alana in Canada
06-06-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm following a 1600 calorie/day portion planned "diet." It's main purpose is to help me develop better habits when it comes to eating and choosing what to eat. Besides, I love keeping track of what I've eaten with my little home made chart!

cfmama
06-06-2009, 01:42 AM
I am counting calories (1700 per day) with a focus on whole foods nutrition. I also focus on getting over 100 grams of protein a day and my 5-10 fruits and veggies :)

Trazzie
06-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Welcome! You'll soon find out, as I have, that this is a fantastic group of people. I'm just (re)starting out. I'm keeping my calories at 1800, water consumption at 64fl oz and 20 minutes of ANY kind of exercise each day. I personally found that I overshoot my exercise goal as long as I'm not expecting much out of myself. At the moment I'm alternating between my Biggest Loser workout DVD's. One day I do cardio max, the next I do power sculpt and I've been going for a mile walk each night with my husband around the neighborhood. I figure any movement at this point is an accomplishment.

Rosinante
06-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm not on a diet. I count calories (1500) with an emphasis on whole foods, no - little dairy, red meat or wheat.
I track minutely using sparkpeople with a touch of dietpower
but
I come to 3fc for unparalleled support and accountability - the chicks here will support us through it all but they will tell it like it is if we're looking for excuses!

rockinrobin
06-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Also not dieting. Dieting is temporary word. I've completely overhauled, transformed and re-invented myself. Trust me, I needed to.

I'm going to copy and paste a post I've used again and again, explaining my "plan":

I knew the only way this weight loss thing would *work*, permanently that is, would be if I could find something that I could stick with LONGTERM, forever in fact, because not only do I want to lose the weight, but I want to keep it off - forever. It simply won't *work* if you dont' stick with it. Consistency, consistency, consistency. STICKING with it is of course the key. Lifestyle change. Creating a new normal. No going back to the old ways. Permanent, sustainable lifetime changes.

So of course finding something that I could stick with was essential.

Things I needed/still need to be on my plan:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Just not for me. I despise that feeling and need to AVOID it all costs. It would only set me up for failure.
- I need LOTS of food, volume that is.
- I love food, always will and need to get enjoyment from it. So eating delicious, very tasty, satisfying foods was a MUST.
- I am terrible with portion control. I have no boundaries. My intuitive eating button is totally broken or just missing completely. So I need to fake it. I need something that forces me to set limits.
- I want not only to be thin at this point, I want to be healthy. Strong bones & muscles, good vision, healthy hair and nails, low cholesterol, normal sugar levels, high vitamin count, lower my risk of cancers.

So therefore, let's see if I can do this with one breath - I eat frequently, every 2 hours or so, choosing low calorie/high volume items (veggies), lots of protein and fiber (to keep me full longer), I count calories (forced portion control/accountability), I eat foods with high nutritional values, I've found foods that I LOVE, not *diet* foods per se, food that any one and every one can eat.

I also set myself up for success. By ridding my home of the junk (very crucial in the beginning, and still is). I got rid of the sugar, the rice, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... Sure I love the stuff, but I have no control with it. I figured I can not have it both ways. I simply can not have those foods in my life (very strict with it especially in the beginning, cold turkey in fact) and be that healthy, fit person I so longed to be. I have no control over them and realized I was just better off without them.

I keep my home fully stocked with tons and tons of veggies. I discovered fabulous ways to prepare them and now enjoy them more then the other garbage I was eating prior. Amazing how ones tastes change when you stop feeding it junk. Fruits and low fat proteins are my other main foods. I cook fabulous meals that my whole family enjoys. So finding yummy recipes that you like is essential. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good.

I also prepare ahead, as it is the ONLY way to succeed, IMO. Eating healthy does not happen by chance in our society. Therefore it MUST, MUST be planned out in advance. I know what I'm having for my meals and snacks days in advance. I pack food with me, taking it with me wherever I go, leaving nothing to chance. It's just THAT important.

I drink lots of water. It's something to do with my mouth, a delaying tactic and it keeps my tummy full.

And of course, there is the calorie counting. Would be no where without it. No where.. Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer. Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check. Period. It's built in accountability and self-control.

Exercise has now become part of my life and is a big part of "my plan". I started out slowly and built up. Cardio & strength training. I make sure there is some kind of daily movement going on, 7 days a week.

Probably the biggest part of my plan though, was making a commitment. Deciding once and for all that I was going to "do this". I told myself enough is enough. I realized, once and for all that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was something that I did indeed have total and complete control over. No reason on earth for me to waste another second of my life being miserable, worrying about my health and not living up to my full potential. Not being the very best ME that I could be. So I made a commitment to good eating and good health.

PinkyPie
06-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I follow Weight Watchers guidelines which means I eat whatever I want within my points. Technically you can adapt WW to any other plan out there because its more about balance, accountability and portion control IMHO. I eat more protein than carbs, for example, because that's what works for me.

I exercise about 3-5 times a week.

synger
06-06-2009, 12:17 PM
No diet... but here is my lifestyle plan:

Protein with every meal/snack
One protein serving to every carb serving
No more than two carb servings in a meal
Lots of veggies
Carbs are whole grain
Avoid sugar, white flour, etc.
Exercise regularly
Record all calories in Daily Plate

bargoo
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I am a calorie counter. Plan all meals ahead of time. I eat something 6 times a day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. My snacks are usually 100 calories or less. Such as Non fat yogurt. Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges, Sugar Free Jello, Sugar Free Pudding, fresh fruit , there are many choices.
Do you have a jogging stroller? a good way to exercise with the baby.

Tracy
06-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I Was On Ww But Now Am Switching To Calorie Counting. Basically Same Thing,just Counting Calories Instead Of Points.

TJFitnessDiva
06-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I am on Weight Watchers doing a combination of the old Core plan (lean meat, whole wheat, veggies, fruits...mainly whole foods) but counting points for it ;) I also manage to fit in at least 6 days of free weight exercises and 5 days of cardio, an hour total for each day.

Oh yeah and stop calling it a diet.....To be successful in the long run it needs to be a lifestyle change :)

CLCSC145
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I may be swimming against the current here, but I don't mind the word "diet". Nor do I think that adopting the phrase "lifestyle change" is any more likely to make you successful than the person who uses the word diet. It's semantics to me. Society has a way of creating words and phrases to categorize things only to decide later that those same words and phrases are now inappropriate and you are somehow doing something wrong for still using the prior term.

Some argue that the word "diet" is bad because implies there is an end point. I'm not sure there is harm in acknowledging there is an end point to the losing phase. The danger comes in not acknowledging that the end point of losing is the start of a new phase (maintenance) that lasts as long as you want to keep the weight off - hopefully for all of us that is the rest of our lives.

Let's not discourage new folks by making them feel they've done something wrong by using the word diet. As we all know, in this journey actions speak much, much louder than words.

Hope I didn't offend anyone! Those are just my two cents.

JulieJ08
06-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I am doing Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis' "The Don't Go Hungry Diet". It's very common sense and easy to follow, and is helping me repair my deepest food issues and get moving again. It involves no counting of anything and it is extremely natural for me, which has been a Godsend after the low-fat approach of Weightwatchers, which left me really unsatisfied. Anyway, I'm quite thrilled with it, though it is not well-known outside of Australia.

Arctic Mama, I just checked out her website. That has a lot of similarities with Intuitive Eating (IE) for which there is a 3FC forum. I think I like her (Amanda's) approach / explanation better :)

Arctic Mama
06-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Yes, it a essentially intuitive eating, but with some really solid science behind it. The introduction of the Fat Break and Famine Busting is unique, based on her experiments and research, and the addressing of hunger and satiety cues was crucial for me - an emotional, bored, and habitual overeater. The book, which I got on Amazon, was well worth the cost.

But yeah, losing two or three pounds a week with no real effort beyond some walking? LOVE it!

rockinrobin
06-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I may be swimming against the current here, but I don't mind the word "diet". Nor do I think that adopting the phrase "lifestyle change" is any more likely to make you successful than the person who uses the word diet. It's semantics to me. Society has a way of creating words and phrases to categorize things only to decide later that those same words and phrases are now inappropriate and you are somehow doing something wrong for still using the prior term.

Some argue that the word "diet" is bad because implies there is an end point. I'm not sure there is harm in acknowledging there is an end point to the losing phase. The danger comes in not acknowledging that the end point of losing is the start of a new phase (maintenance) that lasts as long as you want to keep the weight off - hopefully for all of us that is the rest of our lives.

Let's not discourage new folks by making them feel they've done something wrong by using the word diet. As we all know, in this journey actions speak much, much louder than words.

Hope I didn't offend anyone! Those are just my two cents.

CC, I kinda do get your point. Kinda. Although I don't think any one was putting the OP down though or trying to discourage her in any way whatsoever. This thread though would be totally ignored and unanswered (for the most part) if folks just answered what "diet" are you on? Because, as noted by all of the responses, most of us aren't on "diets". Terminology is important to many people. Changing ones mindset from "diet", where sooo many of us have failed on - to yup, the corny - lifestyle change - was a very valuable and needed step for many of us. So through passing along our own experiences in order to answer the question, I think we may have also been trying to HELP, not discourage, the OP. I know I've seen lots of good feed back from folks who have asked this very same question, using the same word - diet.

About the specific word - diet - well, actually in trying to describe it as I sit here, it's giving me pains in my stomach, I'm getting all tense. There is actually a lot of pain and sorrow attached to the word for me. It brings up memories of many failed attempts, horrible, horrible foods to eat, dread and deprivation. *I* also really do believe the very word shrieks of temporary-ness and not willingness to continue - the "good fight" once the weight is off. It just shrieks *to me* of "When do I get to get "off" this horrible thing that I'm on so that I can go back to normal?" *For me*, as corn-y and semantic-y as it may sound - LIFESTYLE CHANGE, or lifestyle - whatever - discovering that word, that phrase, that - mindset - opened up a whole new world for me. It made perfect sense to me. It was a "light bulb moment". I never did "diet" very well, but change my lifestyle, make this an adventure, something interesting and exciting and lasting - now THAT was something I could do! Once I wrapped it around my very slow brain that I was in "this" forever, well, that's the second I realized I had better make this delightful and fun and exciting. Something that I could look forward to, not dread. That's when I worked my tail off seeking out ways to make this work. That's when I came up with "my own plan", customized for me. That's when I became a "gourmet" chef. Because there was no way on earth I was going to do "diet" food forever. That's when I found the joy in this, instead of the sadness. And that's when I found success, not failure. :)

lizzyINPA
06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
and using fitday

CLCSC145
06-07-2009, 12:45 PM
CC, I kinda do get your point. Kinda. Although I don't think any one was putting the OP down though or trying to discourage her in any way whatsoever. This thread though would be totally ignored and unanswered (for the most part) if folks just answered what "diet" are you on? Because, as noted by all of the responses, most of us aren't on "diets". Terminology is important to many people. Changing ones mindset from "diet", where sooo many of us have failed on - to yup, the corny - lifestyle change - was a very valuable and needed step for many of us. So through passing along our own experiences in order to answer the question, I think we may have also been trying to HELP, not discourage, the OP. I know I've seen lots of good feed back from folks who have asked this very same question, using the same word - diet.

About the specific word - diet - well, actually in trying to describe it as I sit here, it's giving me pains in my stomach, I'm getting all tense. There is actually a lot of pain and sorrow attached to the word for me. It brings up memories of many failed attempts, horrible, horrible foods to eat, dread and deprivation. *I* also really do believe the very word shrieks of temporary-ness and not willingness to continue - the "good fight" once the weight is off. It just shrieks *to me* of "When do I get to get "off" this horrible thing that I'm on so that I can go back to normal?" *For me*, as corn-y and semantic-y as it may sound - LIFESTYLE CHANGE, or lifestyle - whatever - discovering that word, that phrase, that - mindset - opened up a whole new world for me. It made perfect sense to me. It was a "light bulb moment". I never did "diet" very well, but change my lifestyle, make this an adventure, something interesting and exciting and lasting - now THAT was something I could do! Once I wrapped it around my very slow brain that I was in "this" forever, well, that's the second I realized I had better make this delightful and fun and exciting. Something that I could look forward to, not dread. That's when I worked my tail off seeking out ways to make this work. That's when I came up with "my own plan", customized for me. That's when I became a "gourmet" chef. Because there was no way on earth I was going to do "diet" food forever. That's when I found the joy in this, instead of the sadness. And that's when I found success, not failure. :)

I don't disagree with you Robin, and I did not say that I thought people were "putting the OP down" for using the word or "trying" to discouraging her - sometimes we can discourage without trying and that was what I was addressing. She was making her first (and last) attempt to reach out to us and 7 people said they weren't on a diet and one told her to stop using the word. That's a lot of feedback over a word for your first post! I just was hoping that we could realize that whatever word she used, be it diet, plan, lifestyle change, etc., she was simply curious as to what others were doing to help them change their eating, how they were exercising, and looking for a way to connect to us. Sometimes I think we need to address the spirit of the post rather than get so focused on the letter of it. I promise, I'm not picking a fight! Just trying to clarify what I meant. I'll let it go now...

rockinrobin
06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
she was simply curious as to what others were doing to help them change their eating, how they were exercising,

I guess when I responded to your post, that was what I was trying to get across - is that changing what I thought of as a "diet" TO A "lifestyle" was definitely one of the things that did indeed help me to change my eating and exercising.

CC, I was not disagreeing with you either, for that matter. I know you weren't trying to pick a fight. Of course not. And please know that neither was I.

You never, ever know what's going to "do it" for someone. What one catch phrase or idea will connect with someone. And that's why I think it's important for us all to just throw our ideas out. Every one's opinion matters here.

thinkthin7
06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
"she was simply curious as to what others were doing to help them change their eating, how they were exercising"
cc thank you for clarifying what i meant. actually about a min after i posted this i KNEW i was going to get a bunch of people posting that they don't do "diets" lol! i use the word "diet" pretty loosely and like cc see nothing wrong with the word, but i loved hearing about everyones lifestyle changes too even tho to me they are the same thing ;) thanks everyone for responding....this forum seems to be keeping me on track and i need that. also, seeing those of you who have had an amazing resultsight loss is really inspiring.

thinkthin7
06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
rockinrobin
would you mind sharing some of you veggie recipes? im kinda struggling with this right now...i have never been much of a veggie person (probably why im so fat now)

rockinrobin
06-07-2009, 05:47 PM
rockinrobin
would you mind sharing some of you veggie recipes? im kinda struggling with this right now...i have never been much of a veggie person (probably why im so fat now)

Oh my. I've got so many recipes, I wouldn't know where to begin.

We did have a GREAT thread around here, 101 Ways to Make Vegetables. Many of my recipes as well as every one else's were on it. Some great stuff. I actually tried to find it, using the Search Forum option, but I couldn't locate it. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it.

Okay. I'm glad you're venturing outside of your comfort zone and looking for new recipes. That's fantastic. Veggies really were a big factor to unlocking the door for me towards losing and now keeping off the weight. I've discovered new ones and new methods of cooking them. I still can't believe just how much I (& my whole family) enjoy them.

I'll pop back later with a few different ones till we find that thread I was speaking about.

time2lose
06-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Google to the rescue, is this the thread?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126111&highlight=make

time2lose
06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi ThinkThin and welcome! This forum and all the wonderful people here have been a huge help to me and we love having new folks!

I want to make a comment on the discussion about using the word "diet". I too have been one of the ones who avoided the word "diet" because I recognize that I need to make a complete change. However, I have decided to embrace the word and the dictionary definition "food and drink regularly provided or consumed b: habitual nourishment". Whatever I regularly eat is my diet.

My diet for most of the past 30 years was high calorie with low nutrition. I had to drastically change my diet to not only lose weight but to be able to live the life I want to live. I started with calorie counting but my diet is evolving. I had to completely change what I ate. I have eliminated junk food and added fruits and vegetables, changed the types of meat, started drinking water and in general develop healthy eating habits.

The most difficult thing was getting started. At first I had no idea what I should be eating. For the first time in my life, I became open to trying new foods and have learned to love many of my new foods.

I have to weigh or measure everything I eat for portion control. If I eat it, I add it to my food journal. I added exercise slowly and still need to do much more. I find that I can get 30 minutes of walking in per day but want to add more.

Welcome and I look forward to your posts!

the final countdown
06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I think the word diet has been given a bad rap. But isn't a diet just the food you eat? I was just having this discussion with my son just this morning, because I was talking about my "diet". And he was saying as people say that "diets don't work" which is true if you don't make permant changes to your diet. When I say I am on a diet it does mean to me I am changing the way and types of food I eat. But the word itself has been taking over by the "diet industry" i.e. diet coke - diet candy. And usually the food that is "diet" no longer resembels the orginal food.

The way I am changing my "diet" so that I can lose weight and get and remain healthy is by counting my calories - measureing my food - and eating 5 to 6 meals or snacks a day. It is also important for me to have support, which I get from 3fc. Thanks all you super chicks. Exercise for me is trying to find a steady place in my life. My son told me I was going to walk on the treadmill for 1 hour tonight. (got to love em)

rockinrobin
06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Google to the rescue, is this the thread?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126111&highlight=make

Hey, you got it!!! Thanks. I searched the forum and nothing came up, except the 101 Chicken thread, which was driving me batty. :dizzy:

Google. I never even thought of that.

dandk0204
06-07-2009, 11:17 PM
No diet plan here...just eating 1200-1500 calories a day, exercise, and focus on all natural foods and eat mostly vegetarian.

sunflowergirl68
06-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I am on the "eat when I am hungry" and "don't overindulge" diet.

There are some foods I don't eat, however, like pizza and burritos. But I don't follow a diet and I'm getting good. I don't like it when I have to restrict myself from something because a dietician tells me to or a diet plan tells me to.

FTR, I don't eat pizza because for some reason my body absorbs the fat like *that* and I gain like 2 lbs after eating a couple of slices. Same with burritos.

rochemist
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
These are my behaviors and my diet is the food I eat.

I can eat whatever I want as long as its in my calorie bank account.
I do weigh and measure my food.
I take out one portion and put boxes away right away.
I try to eat 3 meals and 1 snack every day, and 2 L of water.
I have a food plan every day (week).
I move my body 6 days a week.
I accept that I am imperfect and I will slip.
I try to make judgements based on the value of health. (Example not spending my money on junk food, not running over folks at the mall for a parking spot because I need the walk, etc).

TJFitnessDiva
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry for telling you to stop using the word....*but* I had just finished reading something about a water fasting diet on another thread :lol:

When you get further along you'll kinda see what I mean about using "diet"....I know the technical definition for it, after all I feed my rescue animals all sorts of different diets (ie my raptors mainly eat mice, my juvenile possums eat meat and veggies, baby birds eat a protein rich but all veggie, nut fruit diet, etc). Here's my other *but*...when people come up to me in person and ask me what diet I'm on I will tell them & almost 99% of them that don't really know me think I'm starving myself (like starving myself and when I feel like I'm about to be sick eat a piece of cheese) even if I outline my plan like I did on here. They always ask when I'll be done so I can go back to eating like normal....uhhh never.

A lot of people just don't understand but if I refer to this as my lifestyle they tend to drop the stupid questions.

It's just like marketing. You use different words and you better a better response to your product....watch commercials for the same product but different brand and you'll see what I mean ;)

JulieJ08
06-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I think the word diet has been given a bad rap. But isn't a diet just the food you eat?

I really agree with this. It's only in more recent times that "diet" took on the connotations of weight loss. I still think of my food as my diet, in my head, because I know what the word means. But then in writing I try to put it some other way, because the connotations to most people are *not* what I'm trying to say. That just annoys me. But it's not like it's gonna change. :dizzy:

Trazey34
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
rockinrobin

ha, don't bet on it -- I've had a big salad and at least 3 veg and 3 fruits every day of my LIFE and i still managed to get over 300 LOL

I'm another one who doesn't mind the word diet, it's just a word to describe what people eat. Whether it's healthy or not, a person's diet is what they eat.

I found a website for a grocery store (LOBLAWS) here in Canada, and I noticed a food plan section - i clicked and there were 1500, 1800, 2000 calorie meals plans. I picked the 2000 first since i was over 300 lbs. and i really liked it because it GOT that people don't always have the time (or inclination) to plan plan plan and made allowances for the times you have NO time and want to grab something. That helped immensely - so now, when I'm on the run and would normally grab a McD's combo, I can get a small salad pretty much anywhere and a tin of soup, or a frozen meal, it was just changing my mind around that helped a lot in the beginning. And now I just count the calories, easy peasy. A + B = C and there's no getting around it ;)

thinkthin7
06-10-2009, 02:36 AM
thanks everyone! can't wait to try out some of those veggie dishes :)

SunshineCA
06-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm living the South Beach Lifestyle.

beni
10-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I am on a daily 1200 kcal budget, but varying with the amount of exercise I do. I am using a calorie counting and weight management software.
This is the very first time where I can see why and when to expect a plateau, how my cycle influences my weight and weight loss efforts, what exactly happens, when I eat one day a bit more from my fav food, etc.
I am very happy that I found this, as it explains many things concerning my "weird" metabolism (which is actually not that weird at all - just didn't understand it...)
I try to eat whole foods, considerably less meat and I learn to identify hidden fat sources.
Besides all this, I got myself to walk on a daily base and do some yoga in the mornings.

BlueEyedWitch
10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Not on any diet here. It's a lifestyle change for me & DH. Just cutting calories, watching portions & exercise.

Welcome to the boards!

Terre
10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Not a diet...a lifestyle change. Because this is not a temporary thing. It's forever.

I eat healthy. No fried foods. Low sugar. Low fat. Low carb. Lots of fruit and veggies and tons of water.
I am a calorie counter. 1200-1400 a day

Good luck...you are in a wonderful place to help you in your journey.

JillyM
10-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I follow Dr. Oz's plan plus calorie counting. It is a common sense pan: no white (rice, pasta, sugar, flour), any fruit, any veg (no corn), very lean meats, etc.

Beverlyjoy
10-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I have been calorie counting - combining this with learning how to 'live' healthier with food such as: eat seated only, for down between bites, leave a bite, plan/log, slow mindful eating, etc.

It's based on the book, Beck Diet Solution.

All this being said - I am switching to the exchange program because I am going to have surgery soon. It's Richard Simmons Food Mover plan. I am very comfortable with this.

WELCOME!!!!!!

krampus
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm on the "eat less, move more" diet. I'm probably one of the least strict posters on 3fc in that I don't have "forbidden foods." I eat white rice and ice cream and bacon and bagels. I just don't eat them all the time, and I eat much less than I used to. I feel physically better when I eat healthily and exercise, so I do it.

MaryOjo
10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I limit my carbohydrate intake to once daily and i consume loads of vegetables. I also walk at least 30minutes daily.

Amy9
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I count calories and make wiser food choices. I am all over High Fiber foods...I can call myself a HIGH FIBER COUNTER! LOL

Nikki6kidsmom
10-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I started my journey after having my 6th baby and while nursing. I began by focusing on eating healthy food and giving up fried food, and decreasing sugar, bread,rice and potatoes and pasta. With a huge focus on veggies,fruits and drinking water. I started walking the neighborhood for 30 minutes/ 1 mile 3 times a week. Those changes alone helped me lose about 70 pounds.
It was alittle trial and error making sure I ate enough to keep my milk supply up and figuring out which veggies gave my baby bad gas but it worked out in time. I suggest starting your morning with the lower sugar oatmeal , oatmeal is great for supply and filling for you.
I hope this helps alittle. I am so thrilled my youngest will never know the tired obese mom I once was.

Creeech
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I am so thrilled my youngest will never know the tired obese mom I once was.

We're all thrilled for you too :hug: You're an inspiration!

onherweighdown
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not on any specific diet or plan. I just cut out EVERYTHING I was eating previously such as cheeseburgers, french fries, taco bell (although I had 2 items from their new 'fresco' menu last night, about 330 cals for 2 tacos and 9 grams of fat for both) pizza, nachos, milkshakes, ice cream, candy bars, salads from chain restaurants which often have the same or even more calories and fat than the items listed above, et cetera.

These are all things that I would eat daily--no wonder I have ballooned up to this weight. So, I cut ALL those things out and replaced them with healthy foods. Now for breakfast instead of a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from bojangles or McD's I have fruit, a light yogurt, and oatmeal.

For lunch I have a salad from the grocery store, or a lean cuisine, or a veggie delight sub from subway along with fruit, a cheese stick or yogurt.
Dinner follows the same formula.

I also do cardio an hour a day which is leaps and bounds above the nothing I was doing beforehand.

I'm planning to make a spreadsheet that allows me to track the calories, calories from fat, sodium content, carb content, protein, fiber, etc and compare what I'm eating against the reccomended daily values so I can make sure I'm getting enough of everything.

popspry
10-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I calorie count - 1500-1600 a day. I try to exercise 3-4 days a week but doesn't always happen. I eat according to the mediterranean diet, with a few small tweaks for weight loss.