Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Default Clothes in my closet!

Hi all!
Ms A's post on "Blouse Joy" just got me to thinking.

How many of us keep the clothes from our various sizes in the closet? I looked in my closet last week and realized that I had everything from size 22 to size 10 (albeit one pair of pants only!) hanging out in there.

I think this is because I am so used to sliding up and down and up and down the scales, that I keep everything there "just in case" and for "when I regain". As this struck me as somewhat disordered thinking (!) -- I mean, as a size 12, if my pants get too tight I have a size 14 to fit into. And doesn't this make it EASY to sink back? I have a full wardrobe in a higher size just waiting for me. So I took the plunge -- I decided to donate EVERYTHING that was too large for me to charity, or throw it away (I don't think anyone wants my raggedy-old pair of XXL grannie panties any times soon ). My theory is that if my pants get too tight, I will have to either get on track or spend some cash.

So the question is:
Have you kept your old clothes? Or did you find that getting rid of them right away was helpful in your journey?

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-05-2009 at 12:46 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have kept my old clothes so far but have been considering getting rid of most of them. I am going to clean out the closet one night soon.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I haven't kept anything for "just in case." But it's all still in piles because I'm lazy. I really want to clear it out. But this weekend I go see my parents, in a week I go on vacation ... yeah, excuses, I know. Like I said I'm lazy Actually, I think I have gained a couple pounds, seems like it happened all in one week somehow , so I'd better get the bigger clothes gone pronto
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

The only other time I lost a lot of weight I got rid of the clothes so I had to rebuy new things when I gained weight. I did however keep my entire waredrobe of size 10's that are hanging nicely, waiting patiently in the guest room. I like to look at them now. They were in a box until about a month ago.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I have a box in my guest room closet and when an item is too big and still in good shape I put it in the box. Only recently I've started taking those items and listing them on ebay. I plan on keeping the clothes that are one size larger for emergency only, so like now I'm in 16's comfortably, so anything size 20 and larger is for sale. Stuff that can't be sold goes to goodwill, and stuff that is too icky to go to goodwill goes in the trash. Hopefully selling some of the stuff will purchase size 12 items when I get there. (I don't have anything smaller than a 14).
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

My goal is to alter down most of my current wear. I know they say it's not worth while but I wear a lot of ankle length skirts so I think I should be able to take them in at home relatively easy. The shirts and fitted things can go to my mom when wears about that size and likes loose clothes and any that are cute and fitted that will no longer fit will go to charity as I figure there were still be plenty of large girls out there who can use cute clothes.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

And yeah my closet holds from 32 (one dress that was on clearance) to 16. :P
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I had always kept my 16's in the past. This time I decided nothing over an 8 stays! My husband took a few bags of suits to Goodwill this morning. If I am stupid enough to forget how hard losing weight is and gain it back I will have to get new stuff. On the other hand if my clothes start getting tight I will have incentive to lose sooner because I don't have any fall back clothes.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Last time I gave away all my clothes on the way down, apart from one comfort blanket sweater.
This time, having given away most of my UK12s, 14s, 16s, 18s, 20s I'm mostly having to buy as I go, apart from one or two pieces, those I discover like nuggets occasionally.
As I've lost this time, I've given away if I can but it's mostly too old and ropey and has gone for dog bedding.

The comfort blanket sweater, which I'm wearing tonight as the weather's turned Cold, UK32 and has been with me for 12 years - well I'm saving it for 135, then what a ceremonial burning there will be!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I got rid of most of my big clothes last fall in a massive purge. I say "most" because I held onto some polo shirts for housework & etc. Also, I still have my granny panties. (Heh-heh. Kiramira said "granny panties.") But the minute they look worn, holey or stained, they are being trashed. (This is my tightwad side coming out, because hardly everyone sees the panties, except in the locker room at the gym.)

I felt great joy when I pulled out my summer clothes from last year & fit into all of them. In fact, some were even fractionally big. Such a rare occurrence in my life! Now I understand how people could build a good wardrobe of classics over time.

Last edited by saef; 06-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I gave away all my clothes when I was at my highest weight! I was in a 20 (and probably should have been in a 22!) and had a ton of clothes from 16-8 hanging in my closet. (Odd, that it seems I just completely skipped over 18!) I finally decided that I would never be thin again, so what was the point?

And here I am! My 20s are loose and I'm beginning to fit comfortably into 18s. My daughter is a 16 and has saved me with 18s that no longer fit her. I'm headed to Goodwill later this week to see if I can pick up a few things. Wouldn't it be a hoot if I bought back my own stuff?
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #12  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Actually, I just hung up all my size 12's and 10's in my closet. Granted I can not fit into them, right now, but soon. So yes, I got rid of everything that was too big. I even had old maternity clothes I had kept. I bagged it all up and took it down to the local care center and will continue to do so, as I lose the weight.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Good question! As soon as things are too big, I am getting rid of them!!! I've been the same clothing size for about 4 years (since I weighed around 250), so pretty much all of the clothes in my closet fit me right now, though they are getting loose! I cannot wait to go down a size, so in 10 or 20 more pounds I am going to try everything on and anything that is too big is going to be GONE FOREVER!!! I am so excited for that day!!!

I do have one box of smaller clothes in my closet that I am going to go through soon to see how close I am to fitting into some of them.
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #14  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I get rid of them as quickly as I can and buy more from consignment stores. This saved me a real slide last year when I put 10-15 lbs back on and my jeans got too tight. I was too stubborn to buy a larger size so I had to face up to the fact that I needed to stop the slide RIGHT THEN AND THERE. And I did. (And now the jeans that were my wake-up call are in the bag to go to Goodwill!!!)
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #15  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

My actual closet's way too small to keep stuff in it that doesn't fit. I already shipped out the 30s and 32s. The 26s and 28s will go next. The 22s and 24s are ready to be boxed up. I think I'll hold onto the 20s on down in case I ever get knocked up. You never know.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote