Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Nike + ipod

is anyone using this? are you using it with or without the "special" Nike shoes? i am thinking of getting one for may half marathon training, as it would be a whole lot easier to track my distance than my current method of driving every run and marking it's distance

any opinions? thanks!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Probably not helpful right now but I did get some new running shoes last weekend that are Nike+ and ordered the. IPod kit immediately. I start using it tomorrow.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #3  

sweet! let me know how you like, although i may not have the patience to get reviews and just go and buy it this weekend instead i'm not so good with the whole patience thing....
Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #4  
Sensewear and WW

S/C/G: 230/195.2/164

Height: 5'9"

My husband has the Nike +iPod. He does not use it with the Nike shoes. He did have it fit under his laces but lost one so now he has it in a little baggie that is tread through his laces with the device in it. He recently purchased the Garmin Forerunner which tracks his running distance with GPS. He has found that the Nike +iPod loses about .1 mile per mile run compared to the Garmin (and verified by car). If you get one I would drive the routes and compare it to your device to see if there is a standard difference in the distances. At .1 miles while training for a marathon that would equate to a couple of miles he would be losing while training.
nellonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #5  

thanks nellonello! that is really good to know. i will verify a couple of routes with it that i have already measured with my car...i would hate to think i was ready to go for the HM, only to realize that my long runs weren't quite long enough!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I don't know about the Nike and ipod thing... But I do know that this site mapmyrun.com prevents you from going in your car and measuring the distance...Just type your postal code or exact address and voila you're there!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #7  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

I second Ilene about mapmyrun.com - it's a good way to measure your run.

I have been using the Nike + iPod Sport Kit for about a month and use it with Nike running shoes. I'm really happy with it and find it motivating - it measures my workout distance and speed - and it's easy to transfer workout information to the nikeplus site where all the information about previous workouts is kept. It's also easy to join challenges with other runners on the site. And everything is very user friendly, which is a plus.

...and every time I complete a workout with a longer distance than my previous workouts, Lance Armstrong tells me I'm doing great and to keep it up! And when I complete a run faster than previous workouts, Tiger Woods tells me the same!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #8  

mapmyrun.com looks like it will be very useful, thanks guys! i think i will still get the nike + ipod to track my speed, but will also definitely be using this site.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #9  

I have nike+ Sportsband. It's pretty accurate on the distance. I like it cause it tracks everything online.
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

As mentioned above, there are websites to create routes at your desired distance. My sister got the nike+ipod when she was training for her half-marathon, but not with the shoes. She liked it. But be sure you know it only works with the Nano (when she got it she had a classic and a shuffle but no nano. she ended up using it with my parents nano's for a while before she got her own)
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I just got the Nike+ for my ipod touch (then you don't need the "reciever thing" because the touches have it built in) and I bought a clip for it to clip to my non-Nike shoes. I like it!

Ny favorite part is that is will track my runs for me. I am a new runner and completed the C25K program a few months ago and really wish I had been tracking things for myself then so I could see more clearly how much I have progressed!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

hmm... silly question - i got an ipod with the Nike thing on it. To use with regular shoes does it have to be clipped to my shoes or could it be in a pocket or something? I haven't figured out how to use it yet, but it seems neat!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #13  

there is a hole in nike+ shoes under the sole. thats where you put the tracker
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #14  

iris - i don't wear nike shoes. i stick it in the top of my sock, under the tongue of my shoe, and it works fine. you can also buy little pouches that lace onto the top of your shoe...i don't think it would work in your pocket, as it is calibrating your stride length.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnywish View Post
iris - i don't wear nike shoes. i stick it in the top of my sock, under the tongue of my shoe, and it works fine. you can also buy little pouches that lace onto the top of your shoe...i don't think it would work in your pocket, as it is calibrating your stride length.
In my personal experience, it has to be clipped to a shoe, parallel to the ground.

I went for a walk with it tucked in my sock/shoe, and then I went for the same one with it clipped it to my shoe, and it was more then double the distance with it properly attached to my shoe.

I bought a clip for it to clip onto my laces, it was less then $10.

Last edited by sotypical; 09-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote