Dieting with Obstacles - Fibromyalgia #185

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia #185

Mima
06-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Does this work???

Tammy
06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Mima, I just did this too. Yours worked when you didn't think it did. Let's use yours!!!

Joanne D
06-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I tried to start a new thread and messed it up. Glad you guys are smarter than me!
Things have been hecktic here. I have not felt well. UTI.. Got hat fixed and now I have to catch up.. All this running to Dr.'s and so forth is taking a toll on my time..
Not much interesting here .. Hello Everbody
Joanne

Kate53
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Good morning all. Same old, same old here too, Joanne. Hubby leaves for his trip up north tomorrow so I am looking forward to a very quiet and relaxing weekend. I anticipate the neighbor's kids will be over to visit and swim as they all just got out of school for the summer. It has been very hot and humid lately with lots of little rain showers. That sure does keep it steamy! Queenie is definitely not interested in walking too far with this heat. She's just a big bored puppy right now!
Not having much luck staying away from those good carbs either....and the scale is not moving downward because of it. Still playing with those two pounds and I have to get a handle on this dieting thing or the scale will never go down. Maybe without hubby around to "annoy" me this weekend, I can get back into it. I am still nursing this back spasm thing too. It doesn't seem to want to give me a rest from the constant aching. The longer it goes on, the more tense I get which is making the FM kick in other places. What a cycle this is! Maybe I should get some cheese to go with my "whine"?? ;)
Off to "drag" her royal highness around the block before it rains. She's had two speeds lately...slow and slower. Joanne, do take care of that UTI. I have been very fortunate in that department...never had bladder or "yeast-y" issues. Hope everyone is feeling well and enjoying their day!!

Joanne D
06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Kate -Two blocks and back home is Christies way of walking. She tried to get home without doing her business. I said no not till you pee..
I too am having a problem with the carbs.. I just want to eat..I am playing with 3 lbs for awhile now..
Think of me when you have your alone time. Enjoy it..
Went to Publix and got some of the sale items.. That was the excitement of the day..
It is almost time to take Christie out.. I feel like my days are all on a schedule..
Hello Everybody...Joanne

Tammy
06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Joanne, hope you are feeling better.

Kate, like the idea of cheese with your whine! I say that alot!

It has been downright nippy here again! upper 40's and lower 50's yesterday. amazing. Even had to turn the heat back on after just having the AC on last week.

I was down 1/2 pound at weigh in last night. I feel like I've done well since I started in January. When I got off the scale, the leader said she thought I needed to up my exercise some. I just looked at her. I know that I am doing quite a bit more than the women that I sit with each week. My aerobics classes are an hour long, 3 days a week, plus I walk or do things on the other days. The aerobics class is very intense. Most of the people in the class are in their 20's and 30's, and here I am at 54!

I guess I just have to get over her comment and move on and not let it bother me so much. I think 15 1/2 pounds since the beginning of Jan. is good for me. (especially since I went to Disney for a week!)

By the way you Florida people, I will be at Disney again in October. I arrive on Oct. 12 and leave the 19th.

Mima
06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
FM people cannot overdue it or they get into trouble-tell her that.
Joanne, I take a dose of Cephalexen everyday because I get so many uti's. seems to be working.
Got my tooth fixed and went to chiro. today we are going to the podiatrist-I think I have a fungus that makes my toenail grow thick. And then to the eye doc. I need new glasses because old ones all scratched because they were soft plastic!! But I think I need a new script anyways.
Bible study tonight-found some lime juice so I am making a key lime pie-cream with pudding.
Talk about pools-the tenants son and his friends were going to put up a large inflatable pool-called insurance and they said she would need renter's insurance for the liability. Not really happy because we don't have a fence and those pools are not regulated yet. I had a pool and I had a 4 foot fence and locked gates. To be continued.
Have a great weekend-I know what you mean by time alone, Kate. But not too much. Mima

Kate53
06-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Good morning all. So quiet around here this morning!! I will have lots to do while hubby is away...mostly cleaning and laundry but I always stay busy. I'm still having "pain" issues and have had to "up" my meds a bit to get a handle on it. I think I am going to finally suck-it-up and call a new chiro to see if that will get me back on track.
Tammy, sounds like you really enjoy Disney. Keep us posted closer to the date and who knows? maybe that would be a good weekend to have my overnighter? I can never make plans that far in advance....."the best laid plans"....as my mother would say.
Mima, sounds like you have your hands full with your new tenants. Why would they assume they can put up an inflatable swimming pool? I certainly wouldn't take on the liability risk without a fence around it, regardless of the regulations. It could still come back to bite you in the butt should anything happen because you are the property owner (especially if the tenants have nothing to lose). Who needs that kind of headache? Good luck with all this. I am guessing she finally paid the rent?
Rain in the forecast for the next few days. Guess we don't have a drought issue anymore, right? Very cloudy and humid so far today. T-storms predicted for this afternoon. The weather report says rain all weekend up and down the east coast.
Off to get some housework done. Hope everyone is doing okay. Wonder how things are going in Denmark??

Joanne D
06-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Mima- I would have to play it safe and say no to that pool. I bet they wouldn't pay the price of a injury on your property. I have a fungus on two of my toe nails.. I went to a podiatrist and found out that the only sure way to get rid of it was very expensive and my insurence would not pay .I read somewhere that if you soak your feet for 5 min. in clorox solution it would get rid of it.. I haven't tried it.. I bet it would really dry out the skin on my feet. I have that problem anyhow.The Dr. did suggest Fungoid tincture. So far it hasn't helped.
Tammy - I feel fine . I think we caught the uti before it got too much of a hold.. I would love to say I would meet you at Disney but October is a long way off. Louie doesn't do well if I go off and Christie would be too much for him. He doesn't even take her out because he is afraid she will pull him down..
Kate-You got the most rain. It comes in off the Gulf and passes over us in about 5 minutes or less. My brother and sister-in-law are going to Germany on the 8th. She still has sisters and family there..
Hello Candice and Meme..Where are you?
Joanne

Tammy
06-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Mima, I don't think the leader understands FM at all. The other leader is a nurse, and she is well aware of what I'm dealing with. I went to the chiropractor yesterday too. Felt pretty good. Not so sure about having the pool on my property.

Kate, I think October would be a great time for your overnighter! I'll bet Anne is hanging out in Denmark thinking of us all the time. Well, maybe not.

Joanne, it would be wonderful if we could meet up again. I understand not wanting to leave Louie and Christie though. Germany sounds like a good trip. That was one of Tim's favorite places when he went with the Ohio Music Ambassadors in 2005.

Today I am walking for the Cancer Association of Darke County. I have done the Relay for Life which is for the American Cancer Association, but all of the money that is earned for this stays right here in Darke County. They were very helpful when my mother was sick. My chiropractor has a team, and I joined up yesterday. We got t-shirts. The largest they had was an XL. I told them I didn't know if I could squeeze into it because I usually wear a XXL. Guess what? It fit, and it was a bit loose! I was shocked! I guess all of these classes are paying off.

Have a great day!

Mima
06-06-2009, 07:31 AM
They have to get insurance to put up the pool.
I went to the podiatrist and he was very knowledgeable about the plantar fascitiis-said it doesn't go away with fibro-it's where the bone attaches to??? He also said that they are coming out with a laser treatment for the fungus-he can't give me the med because I take so much other stuff. Anyhow-he trimmed my big toenails. And if I need them trimmed adagin-it's 35-not too bad.
Then I went to eye doc-I can have new lenses put into my frames I already have-no script change in 5 years. How come I can't see signs. ? And no cataract change.
Off to peaceful Acres. Went to Bible study last night-one woman won't stop talking and half the time she doesn't make sense-talks just to talk. Poor Pastor is trying to get his point across. I may say something to her.
But how do I say it.
Hey Kate-don't forget to rest.
Our Relay is next weekend-Brad's sister does a lot. You go, Tammy. That's such a good cause.
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
06-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Another cloudy day in Florida! Rain never came this far up yesterday. Had lots of little thunder rolls but no significant rain. The prediction is the same for today...rain and t-storms this afternoon. I never believe the weatherman anyhow....he's always wrong!
Queenie and I are enjoying our quiet time. She's such a great dog. I would do another rescue in a heartbeat but my hubby would probably come unglued at the thought of having another Pyr around. He sees how much work goes into having just the one. He's not sounding too happy about being in Rhode Island. It's cold and rainy there and he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself. I think he is looking at this trip as an obligation rather than a mini vacation.
Mima, I hope the tenant's insurance policy is adequate for their pool coverage. Did your insurance agent specify how much they had to be covered for? I didn't realize tenant's insurance carried liability coverage...I always thought it was for personal belongings. It's good to learn these things....never know when you might need this kind of information.
Hope you do great on the walk, Tammy. I really need to get exercising more. I just don't have the motivation lately to do much of that. I need to find a way to adjust my attitude about this diet and exercising. I've hit a wall here....
Need to fold some laundry and change bed linens. Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Tammy
06-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Mima, I went several years without a change in my prescription too. The bible study that I did at the Y had a woman like that. I did 3 sessions, and said enough. I haven't done any there since, and that is part of the reason.

Kate, sorry to hear your hubby isn't enjoying himself. The walk went well. It was a beautiful day, so that made it extra nice. It was only 3 miles, so it didn't take that much time out of the day. Had lots of fun with the other walkers. I honestly don't know why I have been so motivated to do exercise lately, but I'm glad it has happened. I wonder if it's the class I'm in on Wednesday nights. It's bible based, so lots of prayers for guidance.

Another beautiful morning, but I think rain is on the way. Someone mentioned that at church this morning.

Where is everyone? I know Anne is in Denmark, and I think she should be back tomorrow maybe.

Mima
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi guys-only thing I miss at the campground is the computer. Every night, the people below us have a campfire. And people just drop in. We had so many laughs last night-there ended up being 10 of us.
But I am home now and going to get ready for the flea market.
And take Aunty to lunch after I get my shot.
We decided Bible study goes too late -we were basket cases on Sat. We will talk to the Pastor.
I am into reading Frank Perreti-he writes with Ted Dekker-fascinating. First I read the Visitation and now I am reading The Prophet. they were in the church library.
Love that you are motivated to exercise-pass it on. I HAVE to get back into walking or my cholesterol will go up. I did some praying when I was working-to be able to give the right score to the examinees.
Brad has a busy week. The money is coming in but the Chase card has all the equipment so it will have to go out and I need to give the gov't some money-hate to do that.
The weather has been so cool up here Kate so RI probably is the same.
The pool is still laying on the ground in the back????? We hope it's not going up.
Be good-Mima

Tammy
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I'd miss the computer also. The campfire sounds like fun. AND so does the flea market!!

I like Frank Perriti, as well as Ted Dekker. I just read Saint by Dekker not long ago.

I think all of my medical tests are keeping me motivated in the exercise department. Everything is much better than it was, and I know the doctor is very pleased.

I don't like giving money to the gov't either. I'm with you on the pool not going up.

Hello to all!

Mima
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
I guess Debbie's father-Debbie is the tenant-will be here soon. He fell again at home and needs his meds supervised. That's why she wanted a bigger place.
Getting ready for a yard sale on sat at the camp. It's such a mess in the garage, it's hard to find things. I did find out on the new that some dishes are worth money so i am trying to find a dealer-I heard business in the antique business is s-l-o-w. Why wouldn't it be.?
We are thinking of soalr panels to heat our house and water. You get 1/3 back and a tax credit!
Taking Auntie to lunch after I get my shot today,
Tammy, I went for a walk yesterday-I think you are motivating me!!
Mima

Kate53
06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey Tammy...pass some of that motivation this way, huh?? I still haven't gotten my butt on that elliptical...it's just sitting there collecting dust behind me as I write this! Queenie keeps me walking but I need something more aerobic for sure. My doctor is going to be awfully pissy the end of the month if I don't drop more weight.
I have some workmen here this morning fixing all the cracks in my pool patio. The company that installed the pool didn't put in "expansion joints" and I have all these little cracks everywhere that will eventually get bigger if they aren't fixed. I am really tired of having to redo things that I paid good money for when this house was built. Don't know why I bothered to pay a general contractor! Once they get done in about 3 days, hubby and I will powerwash and paint the entire patio....and it's a big one! Oh well, at least it will be done and we won't have to paint again for a few years. I'll probably be a cripple for about a week after that...Being a home owner has it's drawbacks....maintenance is top of the list.
Mima, let me know how you make out with your solar estimate. We were considering doing a panel just for our water heater. They also have some unit that does a "heat exchange" thing off your A/C. It uses the discharged heat from the house via the A/C and heats the water heater with it. Don't know which would be more efficient but the tax credit is a great incentive to go green. I have been going green for the past year or so...bought those reusable grocery bags and recycling everything. I think the expense of adding solar to the home is well worth it. Are you doing this through your electric company contractors? Keep me posted, okay? I'm interested to know how expensive this might be.
Need to get moving. Having my hair cut this morning..finally! This heat and humidity makes me want to cut it short but I will try to continue growing it out a bit more. Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Happy Canuk
06-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi. Well, we made it back home late Sunday night. Had to have yesterday to unpack, wash clothes and fight to stay awake until bed time. That is hard to do and even harder when you have FM. I did really well on holidays. Not too much pain, just a lot of stiffness, but it is because of the humidity and it wasn't all that warm. It is also cold here. It was 32F this morning, but heading to 65 this afternoon, and warmer for the next week or so. I guess they say we need rain. Hasn't been this dry for years. Yesterday it rained - must have been in honor of my return :lol: I think the cloud hitiched itself to the airplane and came along with me!

I did have new potatoes and nice new strawberries as well. The Asparagus was just coming out when we were leaving. I don't think the potatoes have even started to bloom here yet - still another month to go.

We had a super holiday. Visited with lots of relatives, and did tons of sight-seeing. Germany was so very pretty and so clean. I think you could have eaten off the floor at the airport in Frankfurt. The hotels were cleaner than most hospitals as well.

Our summerhouse that we rented in Denmark was great. Ashley went to school for 2 days, and had a good time. One of her friends came swimming at the summerhouse one afternoon, and she went to a birthday party for one of the boys in her class on Friday. The kids all remembered her from 2 yrs ago. It's not like here, where people are forever moving. Same kids and if she went back in 4 yrs, it would still be the same kids.

I have pictures but they are not ready yet. Maybe sometime next week.

Kate - hope you are enjoying your alone time (is hubby back home now or not?) I couldn't stand to be where it was "steamy". Hate the really hot weather as well.

Mima - have fun camping. I went to a flea market in Germany. We just kind of wandered in. It was fun.

Tammy - good for you on that weight loss. Don't let her tell you that you need to do more exercise. Only go until you are comfortable, or you will be overdoing it. It is just a fine line for FM people. I walked tons on holidays, but my toe is paying the price. Back to the foot Dr. on Tuesday.

JoAnne - they say if you use Vick's Vapor Rub on your toenails it can help with fungus. Hope it goes away. My SIL took some kind of meds internally that seemed to help.

Hi Meme and Candice. You two have been very, very, very quiet. Hope all is well with you.

Catch you later!

Kate53
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome back Anne! Sounds like you had a great time. Hubby did arrive home Monday afternoon and returned to work this morning at 5 am. Such is life. I always thought he would be the kind of man that would want to work forever but lately I have been seeing him more thoughtful about his retirement benefits. He happens to be one of those busy beavers that always has to be into something but I think the "Floridian" mentality here might just be getting to him. He seems to be looking forward to the "age" of retirement. I also think if he finally gets to a healthy weight and can reduce his meds, he will be a lot happier. I can't do that for him...he needs to take control of the issue for himself. He admitted he was embarrassed to ask for the extension for the seatbelt on the plane. If he could just get past that feeling of "i'm-so-fat-it-depresses-me" part, he will do fine. What can I do to help?? Suggestions?
Hope all is well with everyone...will check back later.

Joanne D
06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Kate- Weight Watchers has a good program. Maybe if you joined with him and you both did the plan it might help him.
Motivation is something we all seem to find hard.. I know for myself it has been hard to stay on tract.. Maybe we should find a way to support each other..
Happy- I tried the Vicks vapor rub.. Didn't help. I think wearinf New Balance shoea all the time didn't help either. My feet didn't get enough air. Also my hubby has fungus in all his toe nails . I am sure that is where I got it. Maybe at the nail salon when I got a pedicure.. That is a good place to get these things.
Mima- There are 2 temps down here. Hot and Hotter. I don't get out to walk very far.. Christie can only stand a couple blocks. I don't walk when the sun is down..
Tammy- Good for you on the weight loss. Don't listen to anyone telling you to up your exercise. Do what you can and feel comfortable with.Increasing your exercise will build muscle.. Being healthy is what is important...
I went shopping today and bought eggs. I came home and was trying to carry to many bags.. Well guess what I dropped . The eggs.. They all went into the garbage.. Glad they were only $1.29. I'll get some more tomorrow..
Hello Meme,Candice..
Joanne

Kate53
06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I wish weight Watchers was the answer for hubby but I fear it would be more along the lines of Atkins...hubby is definitely a meat man. He lost 100+ pounds 7 years ago doing Atkins but managed to put most of it back on when we quit smoking. He just needs to make up his mind to do it and get into it. Having to walk around with his bone-on-bone knees is not helping either. The orthopaedic has suggested having it done now rather than later because he has nothing left in his knee joints. I'm trying to talk him into getting cortizone shots to help alleviate the discomfort because he is not accepting the idea of knee replacement yet. He's warming up to the idea because he needs some relief. It's very difficult to be motivated and have a positive attitude when you are in pain all the time...how well we all know that, right? He just hasn't gotten "there" yet. It's coming, I'm sure...
I love Vick's Vapor Rub!! Try it for some aches and pains sometime...works wonders! I use the cream version. Best stuff ever invented.
Off to bed. Need to get housework done tomorrow and get to the paint store for our patio paint....the deck area will be done by Thursday and it looks like we will be powerwashing this weekend. Night to all!!

Mima
06-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I tried the Vicks on my toe-nothing happened.
Glad you are back Anne, sounds like a good time and Ashley will have so many remebrances.
Kate-you have to be careful of the shots because certain kinds can destroy the tissue?? I did have one yesterday in my upper thigh because it was affecting my walking.
Had a great time with Auntie, although our favorite restaurant is closed and do not like the one we went to. Paid a lot for the soup and there was nothing substansial in it. But we sure had a nice visit-bumped into someone I hadn't seen for years.
I lost good weight on WW and mostly maintained because I am so sensitive to foods. I know I eat too much although I sure didn't yesterday. It was raining so I couldn't walk/
Going to get my things ready for the yard sale. Sure hope I sell things.
Bye for now-Mima Wow for the eggs!!!!!!! Yikes!!

MemeToo
06-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm not dead! Read this thread but no time to go back to the old one. Hope I didn't miss anything important.

Hubby's Dad had heart surgery 2 weeks ago and now his mom is in the hospital. Had to call the ambulance Sun. afternoon, she nearly passed out and was disoriented. They said she had pneumonia, gave her some antibiotics and sent her home. Got her home, she went in the bathroom and passed out. Had to call the ambulance back and take her back to the hospital. They should never have sent her home to start with. Anyway, she's still there. So weak she can barely sit up and still has moments when she isn't lucid. Her pneumonia was worse than they thought. They finally decided, just today, to call in a lung specialist. She's 88 and I feel like they were just pushing her aside. I asked them why they didn't have her on a breathing machine with meds in it. They weren't doing hardly anything for her. Giving her some antibiotics and tylenol and not very much of that. The Dr. said today they were going to have to start treating the pneumonia more aggressively. I think when we get up to a certain age the Drs. don't work as diligentlly toward our healing. Makes me so mad! We have our hands full between the two of them. He is on a walker and home alone. I've been cooking and taking his dinner over. Worries me, him being alone, because he is so dizzy. He's 91. He won't have it any other way, though.

I have 2 of the kids tonight. Daughter has been taking them to work with her, about to drive her crazy, so they are staying with me tonight and tomorrow to give her a break. Always something.

Tammy
06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Rah Rah Rah! Let's all take a walk or get moving!! How's that for a little motivation?

Kate, sounds like you'll be pretty busy with the patio. Don't let your husband talk to me because I'm all for retirement! You can tell him to go for the shots in the knees! I've had it done twice over the past 4 years. since Weight Watchers is on a points thing, maybe you could combine that and Atkins somehow.

Welcome back Anne!!!! Did you miss us? Tim said the same thing about the airport in Frankfurt. I would love to take a video of my class that I take at the Y, and take it to show my class on Wednesday nights to show them what I'm doing. I don't think they have any idea.

Joanne, I agree about motivating each other. I think that is why my Wed. night class has been so good for me. Some of us email during the week. I've done that with eggs before!

Mima, too bad that your favorite restaurant was closed. Is it closed for good or just when you went?

Class this morning was a really hard workout. I came home and took a nap! I am now getting ready to go to my bible study and weigh in. Hope she doesn't make any comments about my exercise this week.

Joanne D
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello Everybody..
Kate- I don't think the Atkins diet is all that healthy.. It isn't a good eating plan for a lifetime. That is what we have to do at our age.. Short term it works but we need to think long term.Mima is right. The shots destroy healthy tissue. I have had them in my knees,back,and shoulders.. They are just a bandaide for short term.I had knee surgery 15 years ago.. It is supposed to be easier now and the rehab is supposed to be shorter.. When I had it done the rehab took a year before I felt like a normal person..
Meme- That is what I had when I was so sick this past fall. I nearly died because a Dr. didn't give me anything but a cough med. By the time I was in the hospital pneumonia was in both lungs and I had a heart attack.. They didn't expect me to live.. I lost a few days.. I was out of this world in a matter of speaking. Dr.'s do not pay enough attention to a older person.My daughter and son was chasing them down the halls. They didn't let them get away with anything.I bet they hated to see them coming. I was in the hospital 16 days and 5 in a rehab that I couldn't stand .. The beds nearly killed me. My backside is just now well and it has been sore for 5 months.
Tammy- OK now you can let your leader know you are doing fine,and to back off. My motivation is to get my butt back on the treadmil.. It is too hot outside.. Maybe we should pick a buddy and report to each other for awhile..
Mima- I bought another carton of eggs today. I told my hubby all I needed was to drop those. Believe me I turned the air blue yesterday.. He said that isn't going to help..
Joanne

Tammy
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Joanne, I'm sure glad your son and daughter took control when you were ill.

At class last night, the leader was very friendly, didn't mention last week at all. She was even more friendly after I got weighed and had lost some more. I was happy too! I went ahead and changed my butterfly. I was off .1 off hitting 17 pounds since January 7. I went to the bathroom after I weighed and that had to be .1, right? Too much information?

We don't have bible study/weight loss class next week because they are having vacation bible school at the church. Would you all help me to be accountable till I weigh again in 2 weeks?

Joanne, picking buddies might be a good idea. I know a couple women and I from our group emailed our foods we had eaten for the day when we had a break once before. We critiqued each other if we saw something we didn't think we should be doing.

I know with this program that I'm on, I don't deprive myself of anything. I mark everything on my foodtracker, and I also keep track of the foods/calories at an online site ( sparkpeople.com). With the intense exercise that I am doing 3 days a week, I think it all evens out.

Kate53
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Good morning all. And Joanne is right about the heat here! It is brutally hot this week. I am about to go out and start the powerwasher up and begin the big project. Don't know how much I will be able to accomplish today but will at least get it started.
Hubby's othopaedic said the surgery would be done within 2 weeks on both knees (first knee done then 1 week second knee done) with a 6 week rehab. the doctor thought a total of 8 weeks he'd be out of work. We can use his short term disability but would need to coordinate all this with his company. Timing would be important here too. Hubby has decided to try and lose as much weight as possible and continues to tell me his knees are not painful enough to have the surgery yet. With the shots and Aleve, he is hoping to buy himself the time he needs to lose the weight. I'll just have to hope he can do it....not much more I can do except wait and see I guess.
I personally do not care for the Weight Watchers program. It never worked for me. I prefer South Beach/Sonoma food plans.....all whole grains and no sugar (keeps my cravings at bay). I have no trouble now eating all the good grains and no sugar. My control needs to be in portion sizes. I have completely eliminated my IBS and feel great....but I still tend to put more on my plate than I need. Once I conquer that issue, I will be on my way to permanent weight loss. Hubby likes too many of the "bad" things, like white bread, hot dogs, diet soda, beer etc. His portion sizes are good but he needs to exercise more too. Driving a truck all day is mentally challenging, not physical. I've got him eating chef's salads now for work but he still takes a sandwich on one those "thins" from Arnolds. He also eats a banana, a SB fiber bar and a V8 juice. Dinner is what I prepare... protein, veggies, and something like brown rice, whole grain pasta or sweet potato. I always eat salads but he eats his at lunch and doesn't want another at dinner. That's about it. Sometimes we'll have a suger free pudding for dessert.
Well, off to do the powerwash thing! Hope I don't overdo it ...need to be mindful about this.
Meme, sounds like you've got your hands full. Hope everything works out okay on your end. What would these kids do today without the help of their parents??

Mima
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Boy, we need to npower wash this house and the camper-it's not hot here, Kate.
Brad had his stress test and he did well-probably good for 2 more years and his sugar and cholesterol numbers are good. He was done by 10:45 and we went to lunch and grocery shopping. I found some more stuff in the attic to sell-teapots. If I could see up there, I could get more-next year,
Tammy-17 pounds-that's awesome.
I am so glad my aunt is over her pneumonia-she was sick for a long time. But she doesn't live alone.
I have been walking but my leg hurts, despite the shot.
I am going to call the restaurant and see how long they will be closed. Since I am halfway to her house on Tues, it would be nice to go out every week.
Glad the eggs made it home this time , Joanne,
meme, it's so hard with elderly people. I think my sil finally found 2 homes that would take her father, but now she has to wait for a bed.
Bye for now-Mima

Candicej
06-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Just been busy..DS #2 got engaged and here is their dog Daisy May. She is a long haired Daschhound.....:)

Happy the trip sounds wonderful:)

Joanne...sorry ya got a uti.....ya don't need more pain.:(

Tammy...glad the program is working for you..:D

Kate...Dh eats all that bad stuff too....and gets no exercise.:dizzy:

Mima...we need to powerwash here too but are afraid it will come in through the windows.:?:

Meme...sorry aobut your inlaws, hope they get better soon. Yes I know what you mean about the docs and age.:(

I am having a trerrible time tryingt o get this place furnished, the man to fix the hole in the wall comes next week finally. DH gripes about the cost of everything! Pulling the pond out and putting a flower garden in with a small fountain maybe.

Mima
06-12-2009, 07:38 AM
What a cute dog, well that's one way to get daughters! Congratulations!
-Why is the left hand side of my face red and swollen. Had a pain under my dentures there yesterday and last night. Sinus? Methotrexate. It's no way near where the dentist worked on.
Got my stuff ready for the yard sale. Got more stuff out of the attic
Brad's stress test went well. He went 8 minutes on the treadmill. He was happy he didn't get a cramp or that his hammer toe/corn hurt..He's here wanting me to look something up-Bye Mima

Tammy
06-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Kate, how did the powerwashing go?

Mima, good for Brad and the stress test. That's always a relief, isn't it? Now, how is your face?

Candice, great to hear from you!! I love the dog! I also have a dachsund, but he is a short hair. What is the color on Daisy Mae? Maurice is a chocolate dapple (looks like a chocolate chip cookie. Seriously!) I've considered a small fountain right outside my back porch, but can't decide for sure.

Heading out soon for the Y. We have weigh in there after class today. So far when I've weighed there, it matches what my weight is on Wed. nights at that class. I'm frustrated with my scales at home though. They rarely change even an ounce up or down. That can't be right. I just bought the scales not that long ago. Maybe I should get a new battery, but it doesn't say low battery like the label says it will. Decisions!

Kate53
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm alive...at least for the moment. Of course, you know I over did it yesterday! Oh boy, is my left shoulder ever so sore....ice pack most of last night and back on Celebrex this morning. I managed to do the entire 1000 sq. ft. patio and screens. (Hubby says I'm nuts and that I'd be sorry!) I am getting ready to go out and start the painting. It is brutally hot here and expected to get into the 90's today. This will be a slow moving chore for sure.
Mima, I woke up yesterday morning with both my eyes swollen and itchy . It's just around my lids, mostly along the bottom and very itchy...some kind of allergic reaction but I don't know to what. All I used was my prescription eye drops which I have been doing for 2 years now. I did just open a new bottle though. Could it be the formula changed? Very irritated and itchy under my bottom lids. I hope it clears up on it's own soon...don't want another doctors appointment!
Candice, your picture looks like Daisy is a wired coated daschund? I almost want to say she is that new "Isabella Fawn" color too. How cute! I am such a nut about dogs....they are the ultimate pet as far as I am concerned.
Well, down to my posted weight yet again. Hopefully I will not be playing with that 2 pounds anymore. I need to keep the scale moving downward....doctor expects to see a minimum of 5 pounds this month. Yeah, right!
Off to start my painting. Deck looks great... so clean... but we need to repaint 2 coats to get those repairs covered up. Using a good paint designed for patio decks (Portercrete) will hopefully buy us a few years before we need to do it again. We also went a shade darker than what is there. Bye for now!

Candicej
06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Tam...She is a red long haired but Erin took the sicssors to her! My son calls her the cancer dog since her hair looks funny. She is very aggressive with other dogs.....she scares Jazzie!

Just cleaned the cats room, they are such pigs!!!!!!! Now off to lay down and falls asleep I hope.

Wow kate...you got alot done!

Mima...ouch....hope you find the problem sounds yucky!

Joanne D
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Candice- Christie is very aggressive with other dogs also.. She also hates the mail truck and most large trucks. These little dogs don't know there are things bigger than they are. No fear..
Mima- Hope your mouth problem is better. The Dr. gave me a scrip for blood pressure one time that I had a bad reaction to. My face and tougue swelled ..
Kate- I would take the eye drops to the pharmacy and have them checked. There may be something wrong in them.Nothing as bad as something bothering the eyes.
Meme- It is so hard taking care of parents.. I try not to burden my kids because I went through so much with my mother and mother-in-law both at the same time. They both died a month apart,same year.. I think God thought I had had enough grief..
Got to give Christie a bath so I better get to it.. She is better than she used to be about it. She doesn't fight me as much.. I am just not getting any younger so it is not easy..
What happened to Lani...
Hello Happy.
Joanne

Happy Canuk
06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Good morning.

mima - good luck with your sale. Hope you sell everything. Also, hope the swelling in the face goes down. Perhaps the dentist hit a nerve and it needs to settle down??

Kate - my goodness. If I did that I would be down and out, never mind going back for more. My back would get the best of me, not the FM. Good for you, slugging along. You will be pleased with the result and then can just sit back and enjoy. Just don't hurt yourself.

Hubby went on Atkins and did ok. He likes meat and doesn't care so much for veggies. He is a fruit eater, however, so he stuck with that and some salad. Like us, it is hard to get it to move, as you get older. He is active at work as well, as he no longer drives. Even when he was driving, he had to unload cylinders at each stop, so has always done manual labor as well. Keeps him healthy.

JoAnne - I guess it happens to all of us, and we do care about our parents, so we just look after them as best we can - like they looked after us. Nothing wrong with that. It is different now than it was years ago, as most people have such busy lives - always going, going, going, like the energizer bunny!! Have fun bathing Christie. Glad it is getting a little easier .

Candice - I have never heard of such a dog. He is kind of cute though. I like dogs, but they take up way to much time and I don't have it to give anymore. I like to go away. Can't have animals anyway. When the kids moved out and on their own, and my cat passed on, we decided no more of either :lol: Just want to be able to close the door and leave. I do miss having a cat around though. They are my favorite.

Tammy - I am glad that you have found motivation to get moving. Wish my toe would get better so I could get moving as well. I will see what the Dr. says on Tuesday. The good news is that I didn't gain anything while away, and that, in itself, is amazing, as we were forever eating it seemed.

well, I need to go get into the shower and get this day underway. Have a good one, ladies.

Candicej
06-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Joanne..we ahve allthese hudge dogs that walk inthe neighborhood and Jaz has to bark at them all..he loves to run up to them, but I am never sure how the other dog will react..he needs a bath bad been too busy.

Happy...what did you do to your toe????????

Power was off today...not sure why..but didn't get much sleep..the dog barked at every little noise he heard and everyone was out mowing.

Kate53
06-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Owie, owie and owie!! Talk about sore! Hubby is out there as we speak trying to get the second coat started. I'm taking my time because I did so much last couple of days. He took today off so we can get this project finished this weekend. Weather is not helpful either...very hot and humid...in the mid 90's today:flame:
Need to go put some sunscreen on ...I forgot yesterday.
Anne, I know what you mean about having pets. They do take a lot of time and it's hard to go away unless you have a good reliable sitter. I am so fussy about my dog...don't want just anyone in my home either. I went three years after my last two German Shepards passed on but decided having a dog was important to me. That's when I adopted Queenie. No regrets there.
Off to try and finish this patio project. It's going to ba a long day I fear....

Tammy
06-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Kate, you make me hurt just thinking about it! shame on you for forgetting the sunscreen. don't forget today.

Candice, why did she take the scissors to the dog? Maurice is getting better about being with other dogs. I take him to doggy daycare a couple days a week when I'm at the Y and doing other things, just to get him around other dogs and people. He doesn't hide behind me all the time now when we see other people or dogs. Ever find out why the power was off?

Joanne, would you give Maurice a bath too please?

Anne, that is wonderful that you didn't have a gain while you were gone! Way to go! I think it is so hard not to gain when away on a trip. I'm sure you were doing lots of walking though, so that probably helped. Hope the doctor can help you out with your toe.

This weekend is the "big" festival here in town. The main stuff is right up the street from us. I'm heading up later because the local Christian radio station is broadcasting from there, and I'm helping them out from noon to 2. I am looking forward to it. Just hope I don't have to talk on the air. I get nervous when they do that to me. I can smell the stuff for the bbq chicken. When I get finished at 2, I just might have to buy some to bring home for dinner later. I also plan to hit the craft tent.

Hope you all have a great Saturday!

Mima
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Tammy-you do such fun things.
We had a talent show and strawberries and ice cream at curch last night. It was fun.
My Sunday school kids are so good. They are lively!!
Brad has to go to the eye doc so I will go with him to drive home. I believe my problem is sinus-took some on hand ammmoxicillin but not sure if that helped,. I can check with the doc.
People at the campground could not get their tv's with the converter box. Might need new antennas. We have to buy a tv first for here and then bring our tv to the camper. But i miss the computer the most!!
Think I need to go to skin doc because my ear is scaly-Had that problem before. It's an hour away so I hate to go.
My eayes have that allergy feeling-think it's the pine at camp.
Mima

Kate53
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Good afternoon everyone. Very hot and humid here today with possible rain showers later...that should really steam things up! I am having a terrible allergic reaction to God knows what. I put some of those new eye drops from Bausch and Lomb(?) called "Soothe XP" in my eyes last Tuesday night and woke up with some puffiness around the lids. It has gotten worse over the past few days even though I haven't used anymore of those drops. It really looks awful around my eyes, all puffy and red. I've been taking benedryl for the past couple of days just to get some relief from the itching. I fear I will have to make a trip to the doctor if it doesn't get better by tomorrow. If it's not those eye drops, then I haven't a clue as to what could have caused it. I've done nothing else new. I'm sure being outside working in the hot sun and sweating these past few days doing the pool patio didn't help matters.! We finally got the second coat of patio paint done yesterday and have everything back in place. Looks great except for one thing....THE TEXTURE THEY USED DOESN'T MATCH!!! I am beside myself! All you can see when you walk out there are these repair "stripes" sticking out like a sore thumb...where the troweling doesn't look like the rest of the patio. Very noticable....and we worked so hard to get all this work done not to mention the cost of having the cracks repaired. I could just scream at this point. I asked the deck company to come take a look at this and said it wasn't acceptable. They should be here this afternoon to see what can be done. Thank God they haven't cashed the final check yet....
So, we are having just a dandy old time here in Florida! Maybe Queenie and I should go camping....for about 2 months! If it wasn't so hot here it would be a great adventure. I don't think we could survive the heat without A/C though. Hope everyone enjoys their day. Off to finish ironing and find something to fix for dinner.

Mima
06-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Could be the patio paint, Kate. I am allergic to everything!
I am going to my gp for my sinuses, which are no where near the tooth that was worked on.
And get my methotrexate shot.
And next week, go to the skin doc and the week after , the gyno. Then I am done til my mammo. !!!!!!
It was gloomy and cool all day-sun is supposed to be out today.
SIL is strating the road trip-says he has tickets to 10 baseball games and looking for 2 more.
My son is not happy about going to VA every week. I say he's lucky to have a job. Stepson has a second interview with a plastic company.
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
:cool:Good morning from a hot and steamy Florida folks! Going to be in the mid 90's today! Just finished putting yet another coat of paint on those "repair stripes" this morning. The deck company came last evening and said that they just needed a couple more coats of paint to match the rest of the patio....we'll see! I'll put the 5th coat on tomorrow and if it looks good, I will send them another check. If not....they can figure out how to fix it.
It's been very hot early in the am now so Queenie is really slowing down on her walks. My eyes seem to be a lot better today but I will still take the Benedryl to keep it from driving me crazy with itching. Mima, the allergic reaction started before I did the deck so I'm sure it's not that. It could be the dust that came from the workmen grinding down the concrete to put the expansion joints and mesh in. I did write an e-mail to Bausch and Lomb to ask what allergic reactions consumers may have written in about though. I still think it is those eye drops....
Bad thing about Benedryl is that it makes you feel so lethargic. I could go to sleep right now!
Mima, is your son going to VA as in Virginia or is it the VA as in Veterans Administration? I think I may have missed something along the way regarding that. Could be the Benedryl "fog"?
Thinking about having a 4th of July get together for a few of the neighbors.:hat: It falls on a Sat. this year so I don't know if hubby will have the Friday before off or possibly the Monday after. (Not sure if he will even get an extra day off!) Don't want to do anything too big, just a basic cook out...we'll see.
My dentist was happy about how well I took care of my teeth these past 6 months....had a great check up yesterday. I'm good for another 6 months. Poor hubby has to go and have his teeth "scaled" next month. He isn't as attentive to his dental care as I am. I'm going to get him a Waterpik and Sonicare system for when he is done with his cleaning. Hopefully he will get into a regular routine with a little help....from me.:kickbutt:
Hope everyone is doing well and feeling healthy! Enjoy the rest of the day.

Tammy
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Mima, the strawberries and ice cream sounds good! How are the sinus problems?

Kate, I think I would be frustrated about the patio too. Hope it all works out ok. How are your eyes feeling?

We need to find a new dentist. Ours retired a couple months ago, and the guy that is taking her patients is further away. I want someone more local.

Mima
06-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Good morning-doc said I don't have an infection right now but I messed up the diagnosis because I took an antibiotic for a short time-he doesn't know how many other times I have done that. I am getting the shingles vaccine some week when i am sure i don't have an infection. It's a live virus-200$. But shingles are worse.
Going to pick up Suzanne's gift, and change Brad's shoes and check out Marilyn's ac and get a frosting at 3. I guess that's enough.
There's other things for allergies that don't make you sleepy, Kate.
Bought a children's hat to wear in the sun but don't know when I will need it!!! No sun-well, today there is some.
Bye for now-Mima

Happy Canuk
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Good morning to everybody.

Mima - sounds like you have a busy day ahead. Glad no infection showed up. We can't get the vaccine for Shingles, here in Canada. Not sure shy, but they have not approved it. I got my hair frosted a couple days ago, along with a good haircut. I have decided to let my hair go natural, which means gray :lol: It is very expensive to keep having it done, and it really isn't all that necessary. My hair is very colorful when it comes to gray. I quite like it. If I don't, as I haven't seen it for 2 years now, I can always cover it up again.

Kate - hope your eyes feel better today. I can't take any of the antihistimine products, because they all cause your heart to race. I think there is one only and the is Coricidine (sp) D. They have just come out with a cream that you use, and it is suppose to stop allergens from entering the body. You just put it around the nose area. It seems to work the other day when I used it, as I went the whole day without having to constantly blow my nose or mop up my eyes. Hope you get the painting sorted out.

Tammy - How's it going? It is amazing I didn't gain weight while in Denmark. All those great Danish pastries. I guess all the walking saved me.

Candice - I have ruptured the capsule that encircles the ligaments that run into the toe. It lets the toe go willy-nilly and it has now developed into a hammertoe and is crooked as can be. I can, and probably will, end up having surgery on it. The Orthodics take the pressure of it for now.

Hi Joanne and Meme. Hope you all have a good day. I am heading to work.

Kate53
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
A quick good morning to all. Off to put coat #5 on patio repairs. I told hubby this is the last one for me...he can add to it this weekend if he wants but I'm done with this painting crap!
Eyes are doing much better today, thanks. I am sure it was a topical reaction to something and still think it was those eye drops. Mima, I'm not familiar with any other histamine blocking medication that is available OTC. Do you have any brand names? I know there are some for seasonal allergies that affect sinuses and such but I am only aware of Benedryl for relieving the itchiness of skin irritations. I even put a thin application of cortisone cream around the outer eye area to help with the redness and swelling. It is getting better though. I just look weird....
Hubby didn't get home til after 8:30 pm. He was in a real mood too. Too many hours driving that truck and he gets a bit shakey. Hope he doesn't have to work so long today.
Very hot and humid again...typical for June in Florida. Even the pool water temp feels too warm. Don't know if I will ever truly get used to summers here!
Off to finish my day's projects...need to find something different for dinner too. I'm tired of the same old stuff. Hope everyone enjoys their day...will check back later.

Tammy
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Mima, I remember when my mom had shingles. She was miserable.

Anne, I've considered letting my hair go natural also. Since it's dark when I color it, it wil be really noticeable. Thought about going south next winter and letting it "happen" while I'm away from home. Danish pastries - YUM!!

kate, hope coat #5 did the trick!

Class this morning was a tough one, but I know that I'm getting something out of it. Went to Wal Mart and bought new scales. When the others that I bought several months ago weigh the same when I'm just out of the shower, or after I've eaten and fully dressed with shoes, there's a problem.

Tammy
06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Love the new scales! I was down another 2 pounds this morning. They are the same scales that they use at the Y, so they should be pretty accurate. I just need to keep that butterfly moving in the right direction.

Foggy here this morning. Tim left for school a while ago, and he called and said the fog is pretty dense in spots. He left early because he has to work on a project. He doesn't have class till 11:00.

I go for reflexology at noon today. Always feels good.

Hoping all of you have a great day!

Kate53
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Good morning all. Great news for you Tammy! Maybe that's the answer...a new scale!! How about I just stop putting food in my mouth, yes? Foggy and very humid here this morning as well. The air is so "thick" it's almost unbearable. Thank God for A/C.
Eyes are doing much better. The Bausch & Lomb rep e-mailed me and took notes on my reaction to those eye drops. They are going to reimburse me for them and gave me the FDA's web site to check to see if any complaints similar to mine had been noted. It's just the skin around my eyes, not the eyeballs themselves. I guess I'm going to live....
Queenie was dragging herself on the walk this morning. Definitely too hot for her to go too far. She's crashed on the spare bed right now enjoying the overhead fan!!
The patio still shows those repair "stripes"...albeit not as bad but definitely noticable. Too bad because I have had it with the painting routine. Done, no mas, de finition.....not sure if I should ask the deck company to try and do more. I'm almost afraid of anymore messes they might make. Perhaps we should leave well enough alone?
Need to get some motivation going here....where are you Tammy??? What are you doing to keep your motivation so high? I'm just so bored with everything lately....food, cooking, walking etc. And hubby hasn't been too happy with his job lately. Lot's of "big company" politics getting tossed around lately and he just isn't into that kind of atmosphere. I am sure hoping we have an uneventful hurricane season this year....that we surely don't need now.
We must all be going through some phase because I haven't colored my hair in months! I'm also letting it go natural (which is very gray!!) I am considering doing some "lo-lights" to it though to break up the "solid gray" part of it.
I hope everyone is enjoying their day....sounds like there is a lot of rain going on through out the Mid and Northeast states according to weather reports....we haven't gotten any lately. Let us know how the weather is.

Joanne D
06-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Hello Everybody..
Tammy- I have often thought about letting my hair go natural but the lady who cuts my hair said the color was what gave it body. I used to have thick hair but over the years and the amount of medications I take has caused it to get thinner. I color it myself . That is a chore in itself..It is about $20+ cheaper to do yourself and is the same stuff they use in the salon.
Kate when you get through painting at your house ,I have some here you can do.. I hope your eyes are better by now.. I use Claritin. It doesn't make you sleepy.
Mima- Your son should be glad to have a job.. My son hasn't found one yet.. He is a architect designer and there just is no work for him .. Building is down here. He has never done anything else.. Now he thinks he needs to find something else.. What? This is all he has ever done.. He is 50 and I guess starting over is a really hard decision..Thank God his wife still has a job. It makes the payments on the house..
Our daughter will be here for the weekend.. That will be nice.. We decided to make Fathers day easy.. I think I am going to get all deli foods.. Paper plates or plastic throw aways..
Got to go to sams today. Have some ironing to get done and pick up and vacumn the house. Everything is hard anymore..
Hello Happy,Candice.
Joanne

Mima
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes, paper plates. Etc.
I know Bobby is lucky to have a job. He works 12-14 hours a day. But he will stay this weekend and come home on the first. I can't imagine how technical his job is-controls for all these huge buildings. This is the guy that quit high school. Never give up. He also says that a lot of companies want him because of the stimuls to make everything green.
I didn't realize you were trying to control the itch, Kate. I have a script for allegra. But I have wicked sinus trouble right now.
And it's raining again. Hope Sat is clear for the yard sale.
Bought the converter box. Hope our antenna at camp works. That seems to be the problem with the others but we have a good one. I hope.
Got new sneakers yesterday-Dr Scholl's when we went to change Brad's sneakers. And he bought new shoes. Love them -only pd 25 with the discounts.
Bye for now-Mima

Tammy
06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Kate, I recommend new scales for everyone! LOL I just hope I keep on liking them. That's good that the B&L rep took down your information.

I honestly believe that my motivation is coming from my Wednesday night class. Part of the class is staying focused on God in all areas of our lives, and I think it has helped me in many areas. Staying accountable to others has helped too. I am not leaving any foods out. I eat everything that I want, only smaller amounts. I eat from all of the food groups. My calorie levels run anywhere from 1400-1900, and I'm losing. The classes I go to are fun, and I have friends in them, so that makes me accountable to them.
The program is called First Place 4 Health.

tim said that it rained while he was at school today, but it never rained here.

Joanne, I have tried to color my hair, but I never get it done correctly. So nice that your daughter will be there to visit. Enjoy your time with her. I'm with you on making things easy. I hope your son will be able to find a job soon.

Mima, sounds like Bobby is very busy with his job. I agree that we should never give up.

Tim has 2 exams tomorrow, and then he is done till fall semester starts the end of August. He is ready to be done with these classes. Just too busy with that Mon-Fri, EMT classes all day on Sat., working at Arby's, and running rescue squad.

He doesn't know it yet, but his fiance is coming over tomorrow afternoon to surprise him! She should be here when he gets back from his last exam about 2:30 or so. He doesn't work tomorrow night. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, so I'm glad they'll be around.

Mima
06-19-2009, 07:25 AM
That is a nice surprise and will help. I used to take Jack's grandaughter out for the day so I wouldn't be so sad. That was in the 1990's.
Possibly will be clear tomorrow am. Suzanne is coming to sleep on the couch tonight after a New Kids on the Block concert. She has stuff to sell.
Even when I go to work, i asked for God's help when I correct, That's how Brad and my gf quit smoking.
Just paying bills and getting my 10$ back from walmart. Bought the converter box and the cashier messed up the coupon but i ended up paying $34 for 24$ worth of groceries.
Sinuses are better, Hope your eyes are, Kate.
Mima Going to see the Needhams in concert at church.

Tammy
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Mima, enjoy the concert!

It is too hot. It was hard to breathe this morning when I took the recycling stuff out to the street. I was hoping that the Y would have the AC cranked, and they did, so that helped. Only one more week of this class until September.

Lauren should be here any time. I would love to see Tim's face when he sees her car in the driveway.

Happy Canuk
06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Here's some interesting info, in case you didn't know.

Fresh Pineapple Has Many Benefits

The pineapple is a member of the bromeliad family. It is extremely rare that bromeliads produce edible fruit.
The pineapple is the only available edible bromeliad today. It is a multiple fruit. One pineapple is actually
made up of dozens of individual flowerets that grow together to form the entire fruit. Each scale on a
pineapple is evidence of a separate flower.

Pineapples stop ripening the minute they are picked. No special way of storing them will help ripen
them further.

Color is relatively unimportant in determining ripeness. Choose your pineapple by smell. If it smells fresh,
tropical and sweet, it will be a good fruit. The more scales on the pineapple, the sweeter and juicier the taste
After you cut off the top, you can plant it. It should grow much like a sweet potato will. This delicious
fruit is not only sweet and tropical, it also offers many benefits to our health.

Pineapple is a remarkable fruit. We find it enjoyable because of its lush, sweet and exotic flavor, but it may
be one of the most healthful foods available today. If we take a more detailed look at it, we will find that
pineapple is valuable for easing indigestion, arthritis or sinusitis. The juice has an anthelmintic effect; it helps
get rid of intestinal worms. Let's look at how pineapple affects other conditions.

Pineapple is high in manganese, a mineral that is critical to development of strong bones and connective tissue.
A cup of fresh pineapple will give you nearly 75% of the recommended daily amount. It is particularly helpful to
older adults, whose bones tend to become brittle with age.

Bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme, is the key to pineapple's value. Proteolytic means "breaks down protein",
which is why pineapple is known to be a digestive aid. It helps the body digest proteins more efficiently.

Bromelain is also considered an effective anti-in flammatory. Regular ingestion of at least one half cup of fresh
pineapple daily is purported to relieve painful joints common to osteoarthritis. It produces mild pain relief.
In Germany , bromelain is approved as a post-injury medication because it is thought to reduce inflammation
and swelling.

Orange juice is a popular liquid for those suffering from a cold because it is high in Vitamin C. Fresh pineapple
is not only high in this vitamin, but because of the bromelain, it has the ability to reduce mucus in the throat.
If you have a cold with a productive cough, add pineapple to your diet. It is commonly used in Europe as a
post-operative measure to cut mucus after certain sinus a n d throat operations. Those individuals who eat
fresh pineapple daily report fewer sinus problems related to allergies. In and of itself, pineapple has a very low
risk for allergies.

Pineapple is also known to discourage blood clot development. This makes it a valuable dietary addition for
frequent fliers and others who may be at risk for blood clots.

An old folk remedy for morning sickness is fresh pineapple juice. It really works! Fresh juice and some nuts first
thing in the morning often makes a difference. It's also good for a healthier mouth. The fresh juice discourages
plaque growth.

Tammy
06-19-2009, 10:07 PM
WOW! I love pineapple, and I had no idea it was so good for me.

Mima
06-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Me too-in FL, we get them fresh. Wow-it's nice out for the yard sale. Suzanne is on the couch-her gf is coming over. Need one more sign.
We didn't go to the concert-too tired from looking for a tv-we bought a projector fromRadio Shack. Hope it's good.
Trying to be quiet-Mima

Kate53
06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Good afternoon everyone....a cloudy and hot day here in Florida. We might get a rain shower this afternoon. Hubby had to go in to work this Sat. He's training another driver...not going too well I guess. New guy doesn't speak English very well....and doesn't drive very well either from what hubby says!! (I think he has worn a hole in the passenger side floor from using his imaginary brake!) He's been tired past few days when he comes home....probably from the stress of having another person at the wheel.
Did some pruning and fertilizing this morning. We have built in planters at the corners of our patio with "birds of paradise" and arbicola(sp) in them. Now that the patio around the pool is so clean looking, I wanted to cut back the planters to make everything look neater. Then I went out to the lime and orange trees and weeded under them. I didn't think I could produce that much sweat! I'll have to go out later and water my herb pots and the ivy plants that are on the patio posts. Need to vacuumn today too but having trouble finding more energy. I had a full thickness tear repaired in my right rotator cuff about 4 years ago. Since the day I power washed the pool area, I've been having some discomfort in my left shoulder very similar to what I felt before when I tore my right one. Not happy about this at all as I vowed never to have that surgery again. Having trouble sleeping with the ache...it wakes me up during the night. I'm just getting too old for all this maintenance stuff! I keep creating more physical problems for myself doing it all. I truly hope I didn't do another "tear" that needs fixing!!
Hubby and I are thinking about a short excursion to Virginia to look around. We were thinking about relocating at some point to the east coast area there. We want to spend a few days looking around and checking it out. Have any of you been to that Chesapeake, Norfolk, Gloucester Point area of Virginia? Nothing definite yet but a possibility for us in the near future before the home prices go up again. We need to consider the employment thing there first and foremost.
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day. Anne, we grew two "golden" pineapples from the cut tops two years ago. They were smaller than what you would buy in the store but delicious! Very interesting to watch grow, too! Mima, enjoy your company....Tammy, keep up the good work with your exercise. I'm still trying to get motivated! Bye for now....

Tammy
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Mima, how did the sale go? Hope you made lots of $$$.

Kate, that would be so hard for him to teach someone who doesn't speak English well. Hope it improves. Ouch to your rotator cuff problems. Bob had that surgery as well. A trip to Virginia sounds like fun! Hope you enjoy it and find someplace you wouldn't mind living. I've never been there, so I don't know anything about it.

I've been kind of a slacker yesterday and today. I wore my pedometer, but the most I walked either day was about 3 miles. I have classes every day at the Y this week though, so I'm sure I'll get some workouts in.

Have a great week everyone!

fatme
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi guys. I am new here but I found this post and was surprised to see it here! I was just diagnosed with FM. I don't really get it at all and I have no idea what to do or expect or even how to deal with it. And if I can't understand it how in the world can I make my hubby understand it? The Fatigue thing is 100% right on with me too. Man! I was never tired growing up always go go go and then it seemed like all of my energy was drained from me and I strugg;e to stay awake most days. I am only 28 yrs old and have a 4 year old! I can't be tired! I am taking meds for it but one of them has me feeling so messed up that I only take it when the pain is really bad. Did you guys doubt what this was exactly? I mean did you question whether it was the right diagnosis? Cause I think i am just confused right now I have dealt with ths for so many years now and and suddenly I get this from a GI doctor at that! What do you guys think? Any advice?

Mima
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi fatme- can we call you somethingg cute?
I got fibro at 30 but not diagnosed til I was in my 40's. I spent a lot of time finding the right meds that wouldn't make me sleepy. I did. Muscle relaxers are not good for energy. I took trazedone to get a good night's sleep and Tolmetin for paim. I just had to stop taking that because of bleeding but I took it for 25 years. A little exercise each day helps. Got to keep moving-don't give in . I know i sound preachy but all of us have learned by trial and error.
Kate, people with fibro tear their muscles easily-I ripped my rotator cuff doing yoga-we overextend sp be careful. Give it a rest.
Only made a little money at the yard sale but Suzanne was here and Bob's gf came to sit with us. Bob went to DC on Sunday on his day off. He has a funny pic with the Washington Monument on his head.
Yesterday we had a breakfast at the campground, lunch at longhorn. and Brett and Angela came over at 5. Our house is not set up for Keith. But they are adorable.
I have motivation to really clean out-way too much in the garage and it is so damp because it never stops raining. Will go bak to campground on Thursday.
Hope you got through your anniversary and Father's Day Tammy.
Bye for now-Mima

Tammy
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Fatme, glad you found us. I don't know about everyone else, but when I was finally diagnosed with FM, I was so relieved. I had been through so many different tests for so many different problems, that just getting a diagnosis was great. I have a friend who has had FM for many years, so I did know something about it to begin with, so that helped knowing that it wasn't a death sentence, but something that I could deal with and live with. I knew that I would probably have some good days and some bad days, and that is what I have had.

My hubby was also relieved that this was the diagnosis. He had seen me where I couldn't get out of bed or a chair without help. He saw how his once active wife could barely move. My rheumatologist gave me brochures to share with family and friends, and she also talked to my husband about it.

Here is a site that may give you some information to share with your hubby.
www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/

If you haven't already, go see a rheumatologist who knows about fibromyalgia. That will help out with any questions that you have. I know it's hard to do when you hurt, but any exercise you can do at all will help believe it or not. walking, getting into warm water and walking, hottubs, stretching.

I still have some really bad days, but nothing like I once had. I am doing aerobics classes at the Y now. That's something I never would have dreamed that I would ever do again when I was diagnosed in 2004.

Keep coming back and asking question and let us know how you are doing.
Best wishes to you!!

Mima, yum to lunch at Longhorn! I went with friends after church yesterday, and we ate at Panera Bread, then did some shopping. It was fun. Tim and his fiance were able to spend some time just the two of them before she had to go back home. I was pretty emotional on our anniversary, but I think I did ok overall. Thanks for thinking of me.

Off to the Y. Last week for aerobics on Mon-Wed-Fri till September, but tomorrow I start Pilates and Zumba every Tues-Thurs. till September. Am I crazy or what? At least it's only 1 week of classes everyday. Should be interesting to see how I feel on Friday. I do go for a massage on Thursday afternoon. Maybe I should go every day!

Hope you all have a great week!

Kate53
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Okay Tammy, I give up....what is Zumba??? Sounds dangerous! ;) I'm having a terrible day so far with this shoulder. I have a regular doctor's appointment tomorrow so I guess I'll have to tell him what's going on and see what he says. I sense another MRI in the near future.....what a pain....literally!
Welcome to the group "Fatme". I was diagnosed with FM back in the 80's. Mine seemed to come from a sleep disorder and got worse over the years. Like Mima and everyone on here can attest to, you need to stay active and find a good physician to work with you on meds. I would also suggest checking out the National Fibromyalgia Association website....www.fmaware.org. Registration is free and it will explain a lot about this condition with lots of resources. Feel free to ask questions because we are all living with the aches and pains here. Good luck to you.
Mima, do you camp just on the weekends or do you just go back and forth for the season? We have such beautiful places here to go camping but hubby and I don't have anything like a motorhome or camper to do it with. We always said we would buy a motorhome and travel the USA when we got to retirement. God knows we probably won't ever be able to afford that now!
Not dooing much today. I wanted to vacuumn the overhead fans this morning but this arm is acting up so badly I don't dare. Just running the vac over the floors will have to do I guess. Enjoy the day folks! It's going to be record high temps here for the next few days....up in the high 90's with 100% humidity. Looks like we'll be staying in the A/C for the next few days...poor Queenie!

Tammy
06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Kate, Zumba is some kind of a dance class. Not really sure except that I know people who have taken it and loved it. I searched in online and saw a couple little videos, and it looks like fun, and it also looks like a good workout. There are a few of us from the aerobics class that are going to take it together, so that will make it fun.

Sure hope you get some relief from the shoulder pain. My right shoulder blade was hurting yesterday to the point of having trouble turning my head. Tim put a pain patch on for me, and I also took 1/2 of a pain pill before I went to class this morning. It's going to be pretty warm here this week too, but nothing like you. Stay cool!

Joanne D
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello Everybody..
Our daughter went home this am.. her hubby having dental surgery tomorrow. This is serious.. Poor guy will not be able to eat anything but liquids for several weeks.. Lots of pain.. He has two bones growing under his tongue that have broke through .. he can't put his tongue down.
It has been a nice weekend but tiring.. As always everybody at my house.. We used all throw away plates and cups. Just had to wash knives and forks.. I bought most from sams and others brought something..
The heat is brutal down here.. Never remember it being this hot in June..
We need rain bad..
Welcome fatme. I don't have Fm. I have osteoarthritis and a few other things.. And of course I am getting "younger". Keep with your Dr.'s and try to get as healthy as you can. Good eating plan and exercise is always a good thing..
Tammy - It is good to hear that things are getting better.. My weight has gone up a little. 5 lbs off will help.. I keep saying that I will get my act together tomorrow . I start out good and it is down hill after that.. Too much food around here now.
Mima- Three times we have gone to Longhorn and ended up walking out. The wait was just too long.. You are lucky to be getting rain.. It makes it cooler..
Kate.. I have heard Va is really nice.. I have been there when my G/son was in the navy.. It is a pretty state.. Passing through and just going to Norfolk we didn't get to see a whole lot. Our daughter took some time there and she liked what she saw. She went to some of the historical sites..
Hello Happy, Meme...Joanne

Tammy
06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Joanne, keep us posted on your son-in-law. That does sound serious. I've never heard of that happening. I'm sure there is food at your house from the weekend. Glad that you did it the easy way with the throwaway stuff.

Happy Canuk
06-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Just passing along an e-mail. My naturepath says to eat fruit alone as well.

EATING FRUITS .......

It's long but very informative

We all think eating fruits means just buying fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths. It's not as easy as you think. It's important to know how and when to eat.

What is the correct way of eating fruits?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.

In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining - every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet etc - actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!

Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will not happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up. Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins.

But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!

KIWI: Tiny but mighty. This is a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E & fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange.

APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants & flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C thereby helping to lower the risks of colon cancer, heart attack & stroke.

STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits & protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.

ORANGE : Sweetest medicine. Taking 2-4 oranges a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent & dissolve kidney stones as well as lessens the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. They are also a key source of lycopene - the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients found in watermelon are vitamin C & Potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for your eyes.

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! Can you believe this? For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup,warm water or warm beer after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks HEART ATTACK PROCEDURE': (THIS IS NOT A JOKE!) Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.. You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack . Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms.. Sixty percent of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up. Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive...

Read this...It could save your life!!

Candicej
06-23-2009, 02:41 AM
What a day..up early, helper forgot the code to get in the house, told her to put it in her cell phone or on a piece of paper, without my name, in her glove box...sometimes the knob does not work...need to get it replaced, we have all been locked out....

Ok...got a lot of cleaning done including the garage in the heat!!! Planted some cockscomb she brought me and met with the window people, plumber was here to fix the pot and got calls into the carpet people and Anderson window (seems our windows were put in with a decective unit) they are supposed to fix, may be the source of the water problem they said. Carpet people ordered me a sample of the new dye lot to see if it matches well enough to get a replacement...they will only do 1 room if that...I am waiting for a call......No one wants to honor their warranty's anymore, what's up with that?

Got a tooth bothering me...a loose crown with a root canal but the crown is bothering my gum. He said it would have to be pulled next time it came loose and a bridge put in...about 3000 bucks..no insurance and DH needs one too...(the dentist screwed up his tooth) and he has a constant infection in this gum...so I may not get furniture!!!!! Dh is just now figuring out it takes a lot of money to move ... I knew it and tired to tell him to set up a house fund and put all our extra in their instead of just blowing it like he does..he hands money out like water to the kids and his family and friends...I told him to work more!LOL Maybe I will have to sell my body:) NOT......

Off to make a pie...with my rhubarb the gal brought me. Yummy Yummy.....

Tammy...she cut the dog cause she was matted...you would look great grey..I think about it too..get tired of coloring but my hair person said not until 70......she moved away so I do it myself.

Happy..ouch on the toe...thanks for all the info. Heard the eat fruit 1rst from SIL.

Kate...is your outside work done...it is so hot here!!!!

Mima...I think yard sales are too much work..I just give it away but need to give more away......gonna gonna gonna...famous last words!

Joanne....hope his surgery goes ok...didn't know there were bones under the tounge?

Hi Fatme....welcome....do you have a local support group? yes read all you can..some docs do not know much and do not acknowlege it. Hope you get some relief..you must keep moving and eat better and never give up!

Candicej
06-23-2009, 02:42 AM
HI to Meme too!

Tammy
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Anne, interesting information you've been giving us! I like it because I'm learning from it. Now if I can just remember to do it.

Candice, I agree with you about the warranty stuff. Just don't understand people. Also don't understand why when someone tells you they will be at your house on a certain day and time, they don't show up and don't call. How do they stay in business?

Ouch to your tooth! I have some problems too, but I just keep putting it off.

Off to the Y for pilates and zumba. Hope they have someone there to take care of me when I hurt myself or someone else!

Mima
06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Good morning-getting my hot-going to lunch with Auntiea and then the dermatologist. Hope there are no surprises.
I emptied a lot of stuff in the garage. paying for it with my back and asthma. Too much mold. We are hoping to get the doors open thius week-Thurs.
We go back and forth to the campground depending on the wether. It's always raining so we are always home. We are not totally set up-need the screen house up and tv there. I am planning on going over Thurs and staying a bit. Graduation party on Sat.
That's really tough about your sil , Joanne,
Kate, take it easy-put ice on it. Once in a while I get scared that I have ripped my shoulder but than it goes away. Sure hope yours does.
What problems with your house, Candice!!! We have enough with an old one.
I love fruit Anne but have trouble eating it raw-some of it. My stomache has been so much better taking the mexatrexate-doc said it would.
Bye for now-sil started his trip and dd will join him on July 1. Mima

Kate53
06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Good morning all. Off to the doctors this am for my check up....will mention this shoulder/arm issue and see what is next. Sure is difficult trying to do things with only one arm! I tried ice, Mima and it is only some temporary relief. This feels exactly like my other one did when I tore the cuff so I am expecting the worse, of course. I would love for it not to be though!
Candice, is this repair work from your leaks last winter? What a pain having to deal with workmen again, yes? I am going through all that with my pool area but my warranty is over for a new house (1 year!) so it is added expenses for me. I would NOT recommend any of the sub contractors who worked on my house including the irrigation installer to anyone.....EVER! And I made that clear to the contractor who built my house and hired them, too!
Hubby is going through that root canal/crown issue, too. He had it done last year with the dentist I ended "firing" and is still having some issues with it. He'll be getting more dental work done next month (thorough scale/cleaning) and hopefully any problems will be corrected then. I have always been compulsive about taking care of my teeth so I can't say how that would feel. Good luck with the repairs....to both your house and tooth!
Anne, great info about the fruit. I had some fresh cantelope last evening...it was delicious.
Very tired today. I did manage to get those overhead fans done yesterday...one handed though. Got the house vacuumned and floors washed, too. Who needs Zumba and Pilates??? ;) Hope everyone is doing okay....weather here still hot and very humid. Record high yesterday of 102 degrees in Vero....yikes! Now I know why I am considering moving to Virginia. Alexandria and Richmond are listed as two of the top 20 places to "start over" for jobs and housing. I'll see if the area is likable enough climate and people wise first. Hope to get a long weekend up there the end of July. Have to find a live-in babysitter for Queenie though...
Enjoy the day ladies! Wish me luck at the doc's today!!!

Happy Canuk
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Good morning.

Mima - are you having a garage sale on Thursday??

"I emptied a lot of stuff in the garage. paying for it with my back and asthma. Too much mold. We are hoping to get the doors open thius week-Thurs."

I do know that the mold would do me in. I have such a sensitivity to that, probably because of the yeast problem, I have. I can smell it a mile away and I get a raging headache and my sinuses start!! Hope you get away to the campground for a few days.

Tammy - that Zumba sound like fun! I am such a chicken when it comes to exercise. I went through 10 years of **** with this back, and I don't want to disrupt it in any way now. I couldn't stand to have that back again. It has gotten so much better since I started with the upper cervical chiro, and he told me to walk, as even doing the slightest little twists send my spine into this bad place. I have been trying to walk, but my toe isn't cooperating with me!!! You are doing so well. You have found the determination is takes to get on with moving and dieting and I am very proud of you.

Candice - nice to see you here. Sorry you are having so much trouble with getting your house fixed. Not fair, that they offer warrenties and then don't stand behind them. We never took that 5 yr warrenty that they offer on new homes, because we know that it is expensive and they don't do anything about it. If they do, it takes a court case and years to get fixed. We just build our own, and then we know it is done right., It is fun to build a house and see it grow. Plus, I love picking out all the finishing stuff.

Kate - I hope they can find you some relief for that shoulder. Anything to do with the arm and shoulder is painful, because we have to use them all the tinme. Way, way to hot where you live. I would die. I love to be able to have my windows opened and have fresh air in my house. Hope you can find a place in Virgina so you can move. It looks like a beautiful area. Me, I love ALBERTA. Even though we get the 4 seasons, and our winters our cold, it is beautiful here, and I really wouldn't trade it. We sometimes talk about moving into the Fruit Belt in British Columbia (province west of us), but the summer are so hot there. It gets up into the 100's regularly. I can't live in airconditioning either.

Joanne - glad you had a good visit with your family. Always was to nmuch food left after a gathering. That must be terrible for your SIL. Not being able to put yoiur tongue down, would be very uncomfortable., Hope all goes well.

Meme - hello, and where the heck are :YOU??? Hope everybody in your life is doing better.

I have been really busy this past week. Worked 3 full days, and had company on both Saturday and Sunday. We were going to go to Edmonton on the weekend and see our son and his family, but they were all sick, so opted out of that visit. Will catch up to them in a couple of weeks. This weekend, we have to go to Calgary to a birthday party. A very good friend of ours is turning 75. So, it will be Edmonton the following weekend.

Hope you all have a good day., I am off to see the chiro.

Candicej
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
kate....hope hubby's teeth are ok....what is up with these incompetent workers these days....they all want paid but do not do a very good job. We would not recommned any of ours either and are told that the one who built this house was a jerk! DH did not want to build so we bought a 4 yr old home and nothing but problems. Now he says we should have built....he never listens to me and I am always right!!!!!! Take care of that shoulder..ouch!

Mima..you are hard to keep track of....yuck mold, had it in the other house so far none here....

Happy...did you build again? Aren't you the busy bee.....sorry your son's family is sick and no visit.

Tammy....you just do not find the quality anymore that was there years ago.....don't hurt your self at Zumba:)

Off top bed after more calls to window and carpet people....I was very persistant so think we might get the windows fixed and it might be the casue of the water problem. Carpet complaint is filed they said, so wait to see on that. Nothing done about tooth...will give it another day.....

Hot hot hot.......

The fresh rhubarb pie smells yummy:)

Tammy
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Mima, friends of ours love camping. They spend most of their summer at a campground.

Kate, I'm sure you were sweating from all of your work at home as much as I did at the Y! I don't think I would like 102 degrees at all.

Anne, I don't blame you for not wanting to take a chance with your back. Thanks for the kind words!

Candice, I survived both classes, and I left the Y smiling, so that's a good thing. I took a shower as soon as I got home. I told tim if I had to call the rescue squad I wanted to be clean. He was on duty today so he chuckled.

I think I am going to bed soon.

MemeToo
06-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Took me about 20 minutes to play catch-up. Quite a life you all have been having. Joanne, good luck with the surgery. Tammy, congratulations on the weightloss. Looks like every body is busy as usual.

My MIL got a lot sicker with the pneumonia. The meds they had her on made her nuts! She was completely out of her mind ... didn't know who she was or who anyone else was. Called the nurses fat, ugly, the devil ... everything you can think of came out of her mouth (except cussing). She is usually a very nice, quiet, reserved woman who doesn't talk much but the meds made her just the opposite as they sometimes do when someone has an adverse reaction to them. We had a time with her for nearly a week. One of us had to stay with her day and night. She is home now but very weak so we're having to go over and take them their meals, wash their clothes and keep up the house & yard work, etc. We fix their meds, their food and do the dishes every day. They can't do much of anything. It's a full time job and there's just the 2 sons. So if I'm gone for several days at a time don't think I'm dead, just dead tired. My arthritis/fibro is progressing so much faster now, too. I'm hurting big time. It may be work/stress related. Not only am I having to carry much more of the work load at home, I'm having to help out a lot with them. But it's a situation where there is no solution. They will not have a stranger come in as long as they are able to get up and walk around and we are afraid if they try to do any of this stuff they will injure themselves. He was 91 in April and she just turned 88 last Friday. All we need is for one of them to break a hip or something. It's a no win situation.

So much for summer, vacations and 'life' for awhile. :p

Mima
06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
It's hard to deal with the older generation-they don't want others to help them. But it falls on the family. hard to get tough.
It's musty and wet in the garage because it rains EVERY day. Tomorrow we can let it dry out. The boxes are from moving-some stuff just got put in boxes to be sorted out later and now it is later!!
My rheumo had left the office when i got there so I had to take a pill instead of a shot. But my skin appt was good-they are watching a brown spot on my face. They took a pic of it.
I saw my FL electric bill online and it had tripled. the man acrooss the street check the ac and it hadn't iced up which would have meant thet it was running all the time. Mike is going to read the meter today to see if it was incorrect and we will go from there. $103 this month and 35 last month.
The man next door to us in FL is in hospice because of skin cancer that he didn't treat aggressively when he first got it. he won't hear anything about the Lord,. You would think he would be scared.
Sure hope your shoulder is ok-Kate. sometimes they do PT.
I would imagine VA is cold in the winter-GA is better.
Mima

Tammy
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Meme, thanks for the congrats! so sorry to hear what all has been happening with your MIL. Dealing with that has to be so hard on all of you, and especially you with the fibro and arthritis. I would imagine the stress is what has made it worse. That happens to me too so much. Take care of yourself!!

Mima, wow to the electric bill in Florida. That's quite a jump in one month.

Off to the Y again!

MemeToo
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Tammy, it's not just the stress ... it's physical, too. It is a lot worse than what I told before. Was late last night and I was tired. For example: one day when I was with her (hubby's brother had taken FIL to Dr.) she turned the recliner over on herself ... just slid down in it and out she went. I thought I would never get her out of the floor. Same day she had company and sat too long. When they left she had to go to the BR. Got her up and she didn't make it. Peed all over herself and the livingroom hardwood floor ... all the way across the livingroom, down the hall and all over the BR. I had all that to clean up. It's something all the time, a rash, pills she can't remember how to take, ants in the kitchen, a mouse in the stairway ... just something. I cooked yesterday, a lady from their church cooked Monday, daughter is cooking tomorrow but I have to make sure they have food for every day and go to the store for them. Thank goodness hubby has a brother, he is over there a lot, and my daughter is willing to cook some, too. My SIL is not much help ... she has cooked once! I will have to go over and wash her hair either tomorrow or Friday. Plus, I still have this business I'm trying to run and I have Ross this week. Daughter and hubby are both working and he has been home alone ... I don't like that. He has a bad sunburn so I told him he can just hang with me this week. He's Meme's bud.

Just pray I don't wear out! This junk I have in my body just won't give up and go away & I won't give up and quit ... I don't know whose going to win the war. :p

Kate53
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Good morning everyone. I am hoping the real estate agent I have used in the past will surprise me with her "comparable market analysis" for our home but I think we are in for a rude awakening! The valuations of homes in our area has gone down dramatically in the past 2 years and I fear we will take a huge loss if we try to sell now. That pretty much says it all about relocating to another state....at least for the next few years. We did get a generous offer from Hubby's niece, who lives in Chesapeake VA, for a place to stay and a car anytime we decide to head up that way. That will sure help expenses if we decide to investigate any further. Now I have to find a live-in "babysitter" for Queenie for a few days....
Doctor gave me a sample of "Voltaren Gel" for my shoulder and said that if it didn't start to feel better in a week, he's going to send me to an orthopedic. The range of motion is okay forwards and backwards but lifting my arm up and to the side is very painful....definitely a rotator cuff issue. Hopefully it is just a strain and not a full tear. I guess time will tell, yes?
Weather cooled down a lot last evening with a t-storm and some heavy rain but it only lasted a short time. It is hot and humid again today but not quite as bad.
Tammy, I looked up that Zumba dancing and we have a health club here that offers it several times and days a week. I asked the doctor about it and he said it can be a very difficult 45 minutes of constant moving but to go for it. I just might sign up for a couple of classes and see how it goes. You are such an inspiration......keep at it, okay? I need all the help I can get!
Meme, you have such a difficult task caring for your inlaws. It's not easy caring for elderly parents and sometimes they just don't realize how much work it is to deal with two households. Do be careful and take time for yourself....it won't benefit anyone if you wear yourself out. Perhaps your MIL's doctor can make arrangements for a home health aide to come in a few days a week to help with shopping, laundry and meal preparations? If she is unable to perform "activities of daily living" right now, medicare might allow for some help in that area. Just doing the shopping and laundry would take some of the stress off you. Good luck in any case....
Mima, it has been unbelievably hot here this past few weeks so that electric bill might just be reflecting that. What do you leave the temp set at while you are gone? I'll be getting our bill very soon and you'll probably hear me hitting the floor all the way up north!!
Enjoy the day, ladies. Off to run some errands. Need to figure something out for dinner....bored with the same old, same old!

Happy Canuk
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Good morning.

Meme - I feel for you, as you are in a no win situation. You can't be picking people up off the floor however. Your body isn't going to take that kindly. I can't imagine how you are even coping. Thankfully, my Mom and I had talked about this problem of care when she was well, and HER wish was to go into a nursing home when the time came. That will be mine as well. I will tell my kids to do it no matter what - even if I try to fight them on it. It just makes sense to have the kind of care they require. You inlaws may not WANT help from outsiders, but I think you need to bring in somebody to be there with them. Take care of yourself.

Kate - Prices are falling and they did Florida took a HUGE hit. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think. When would you want to be moving? How many years until your hubby retires. My hubby retires this next year, but he will never stop working as long as he is able. However, he will drop down to a part-time job - just something to keep him active. Will massage therapy help you?

Tammy - you are an inspiration to all of us. You are focused and moving forward with your life and you deserve a lot of credit. You could have just as easly said to heck with the whole thing. You go girl!

Mima - that is quite a jump. During the summer I pay about $85.00 a month for electricity and in the winter about $65.00. The AC takes a bit more power. We use natural gas to heat the house. Hope it stops raining so you can get stuff dried out.

Hi Candice and Joanne. Hope you gals are having a good day.,

I went to the chiro yesterday so feel better today. Had a headache yesterday, as he worked on my sinuses as well. Today is it more like a shadow headache - just playing over the brow area.

Well hope you all have a wonderful day.

MemeToo
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I know it sounds really easy when someone not dealing with it just says, "get someone else to look after them." But we know if we do that, with his mom just barely hanging on to her sanity as she is now, it would most likely push her over the edge if a stranger came into her home and started taking over things. She gets so confused about people in the family, medicines and even little things like meal times and clothes that if someone unfamiliar was there I'm almost positive she would completely lose her mind again and we just aren't willing to take that chance with her. It was so sad to see her that way in the hospital. It is just a very delicate situation right now ... we're holding steady for the moment, but thanks for all the advise and I appreciate your concern but I'm good for a little while longer. Maybe (probably) a little while down the road when she gets worse, we'll have to either have help or place her in a facility where she can get help ... we just want to keep her 'with us' as long as we can.

Oh ... BTW Kate, I use that Voltaren on my ankle almost every night and it is wonderful! I ordered it from a place in Canada (I think). For anyone who has foot and ankle pain, another thing that is good is the foot pain creme put out by Gold Bond. I use it right after I get out of the shower in the morning and it works. I think it is like 20% menthol ... that's a lot.

Candicej
06-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Kate..hope the gel works on your shoulder...helped my foot.

Meme...my mom would let people help her at home if we introduced them to her. My FIL would fire the help cause they wouldn't do what he wanted! So hard on family.. the kids did alot for him....everything....you take care. Can their church not help out more?

Tammy....LOL on the shower and ER

Happy....glad you are getting some headache relief.

Mima...wet boxes..yuck... Wow...on the bill!

So hot..watering like crazy...still waiting ofr the window and carpet people to call back. Pie is a yummy cut into 12 pieces and froze some. Had to go by coated wire to keep the geese off the berm where DH fishes...the string is not working.

Mima
06-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Mike went and checked the ac and it worked fine-couldn't reread the meter because there were a bunch of them in one place. He also told me how hot it's been. I was hoping I could get them to go back and reread but I don't know. I would like to talk to someone else who got their bill. Ours tripled,
My son Bob was trying to refinance his 2 houses and they wouldn't do it , even after he put some money into one of them. Very low evaluation for what he has. And it's worse in FL.
Going to campground after I get some food and get my new glasses. Spaghetti supper tonight. I will bring my own pasta. Hope to stay there but we are only 10 miles away.
It's not raining right now but lots of thunderstorms forecasted for next few days.
Talked to my son -he seems more resigned to work in VA and he's getting a lot of overtime. He can come home July 1 for a few days. He's having a big cookout on the 4th.
I like your bills, Anne,
Hope that works with your shoulder, Kate. I would try massage.
I haven't had one since I came home. Bye for now-Mima

Happy Canuk
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Started a new thread.