Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Oof

I do not love weightlifting class. I know it needs to be done, it is important. But I just don't particularly love it. Maybe it is because I am just starting out? It's just...it hurts and it's hard and whine whine whine.

Tonight sucked, because I have a cold. I did an hour of zumba and then an hour of weightlifting. I started to feel like I was going to puke somewhere in there, and just waited until I was ok and then continued. OMG it better get easier. Maybe I just asked too much of myself with a cold.

I try to look at my super hot instructor when I feeling like giving up. She's got an awesome body and crazy guns and...I want to look like that!

Please, someone tell me weights were hard when they started and I don't just totally suck.
Noniegrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Please, someone tell me weights were hard when they started and I don't just totally suck
You're right! It was hard, and you don't suck!

A couple of suggestions. First, you might want to lift before you do an hour of cardio. Second, no one expects you do as well as the "regulars" at your first session of the class, or second, or third.... You have to build up and that means starting light and learning the correct technique. Once you do that and the weight isn't challenging you, it's time to move up. (I'm assuming this is like a Body Pump or similar class?)

Having a cold doesn't necessarily mean you should not lift, you just might want to pamper yourself a bit - esp if you're not breathing well.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #3  

If you are taking this class 3+ times a week, you should notice it get drastically easier in about a month. At which point you will increase the weight.
Some day soon, you will miss it being hard. Having the challenge to overcome is the best part.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Uhm. Is there any chance that maybe the class itself just really sucked? Just a thought. Have you worked with a trainer who is aware of your current level of fitness and understands where you want to be?

To be honest, I HATE taking classes. The pace is either too slow, too light, too boring, or too something. It isn't always because of the instructor either. They have to teach to the middle and sometimes a class can be too much for some and not nearly enough for another.

Perhaps once you learn form, technique, and how to fine tune your workout for yourself you may enjoy your lifting more. I really just can't follow someone else's lead through a class. Love to learn new things and one on one is great for me but a group. ~sigh~ Somehow I just really resent having someone else "pace" the workout for me.

It also helps to be healthy and not coming down with a cold. I'm usually lacking enthusiasm for my workouts just before a cold hits too. Hang in there, the benefits are just wonderful that if you have the opportunity to add strength training to your workouts do so! Really give it your best shot for at least two months and then decide if you really hate it. In the meantime, check out Krista's site www.stumptuous.com for some inspiration.

Best of luck!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Did you take those 1 hour classes back to back? Seems like a lot on a single sitting. How about only doing 1 of those classes at a time or doing one in the morning and doing the other in the afternoon?

Also, what's a weightlifting class? Just curious since I never really seen any group classes for weightlifting in any gyms I belong to.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Nobody is going to feel good doing a two hour workout while they are sick! Maybe you should give yourself a break.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote