Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #1  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Baby Question

Hi All,

My Dr told me that I should be getting about 4 oz of fluid per day into my 6 month old, on top of solids and nursing. I can't get him to drink anything at all, any tips? I've tried a sippy cup (the trainer ones that are a little easier to drink out of) and a bottle... he's just not interested. He's getting pretty constipated, I think due to eating solids and not drinking enough. He's started nursing less and that contributes, too, I think. Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks!
Gale
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #2  
Here I come skinny jeans!

S/C/G: 225/Ticker/135

Height: 5'2.5"

Hrmm...our doc always told us BM was FINE alone until a year. Solids weren't even necessary but more of a fun learning experience (we also did baby led solids instead of purees).

What kind of foods are you giving him? Perhaps something like watermelon in a mesh feeder if you haven't done "regular" foods yet since that might help get the water in there. And the P's always help with constipation (pears, prunes, and peaches).

Our little guy would only use straw cups for the longest time (take 'n toss brand). They're cheap maybe that'd be worth a try. Or maybe an Adiri Natural nurser bottle would go over better? though I definately don't suggest the orange fast flow i'd say either a white (newborn) or blue (slow) if you decide to go that route.
MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #3  
By God's Grace

Thanks for your suggestions, MeganBeth.

We gave him some prunes and it cleared things right up. We do let him suck on watermelon cubes (with VERY close supervision - as in I hold it and he eats), but we're working on the sippy cup still. I'll try those take n toss ones, it's worth a shot.

For most babies, BFing is plenty of liquid until one year but I live at high altitude in the desert (100+degrees at 7500 feet), so even babies get dehydrated very quickly here. I think that July and August are the worst months, so hopefully we'll have it down by then.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #4  

DS didn't start using sippy cups (like the actual ones) until he was almost 2. The take and toss ones have a sippy lid too that seems easier than other sippys. The only reason we had to switch him was because he figured out how to throw them just right to pop the lid off
Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/203.5/150

Height: 5'8"

I have this same problem. Please keep us posted about what works.
Arilark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #6  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

If you are feeding him pureed solids, it's easy enough to water them down a bit. They'll be runnier, but he'll get some water and it might help his constipation. :-)

Also 6 months is just beginner for solids anyway, so if constipation is a problem you could scale back on the amount of solids and up the amount of BM.... my last kid didn't even start solids except a cracker here or there until 8 months (he just refused to eat!)... it was BM only....

If you are worried about dehydration, just nurse nurse nurse. I know it's annoying to nurse constantly... I nursed on demand for over a year for both my children (currently weaning child #2) and during the summers it was obnoxious to constantly lift them to my boob for a drink, but I'm glad that I did, we never had dehydration problems. I did have to drink like a gallon of water a day to keep up w/ them though LOL! But they never needed water because they nursed so frequently. This may or may not work for you because I don't know your schedule etc. But if it is very very hot they need ANY fluids, and if they won't take water but will take breastmilk, well, breastmilk it is then (better than heat exhaustion anyway)

* edited to mention, part of the summer being spent in Texas w/ 110 degree heat! yikes! But still did fine with just nursing :-)

*edited again to mention... if they will take BM in a sippy cup, you could also pump your milk and then water it down a bit for extra fluids.

Last edited by cb1; 06-08-2009 at 12:28 AM.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #7  
By God's Grace

Hehe... that's another interesting thing about my little one. He has never nursed except when he's hungry. Period. He's not a comfort nurser, he won't nurse unless his little tummy is telling him to. I guess it's a good thing in the long run, but it means I can't nurse him anytime I want to. The bright side is that he nurses for 5-6 minutes per side and is done for about 3-4 hours. He's what I affectionately call my "power-nurser."

We're getting things figured out. He still won't take a sippy cup, but he's not acting like he's thirsty at all. We'll keep trying and see what happens!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 258/216/150

Height: 5'5"

Don't give up on the sippy cup. My pediatrician has always recommended using on the hard spout sippy cups. It only takes them a little longer to get it, but it is much better in the long run because it is less bottle-like. Offer it at every single meal. Eventually your baby will take it. Promise.
SaySumthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

Thanks for all of the help ladies. I'm still offering him a sippy cup and so far he likes to play with it. I took the valve out and put about 1/2 -1 oz of liquid in there at a time (since it mostly ends up on the floor). Yesterday he got a good mouthful of apple juice and gagged... apparently it wasn't what he expected. The look on his face was pretty funny though!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

MeganBeth, you are a NINJA lady! I couldn't find the take n toss brand with straws at my grocery store, so I took a kid's size cup and cut down a regular straw to put into it. Caleb did great with it! He didn't get much, but the first time we tried he got 5 or 6 good sips of water and didn't gag at all. (Like he was with the sippy cup, bottle, dropper, regular cup...) Some definitely ran out of his mouth, but I think he's going to get the hang of this very quickly. He's always liked playing with the straws in my cup, I don't know why I was skeptical that he could use one. I've most definitely (and thankfully) been proven wrong!

Thank you thank you for the suggestion, I think it's going to work!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #11  

Glad it worked!! If you can't find them anywhere and you'd like i can pick you up some and mail them your way. They're only a couple bucks for a pack! We always find ours at Target and walmart!

Take and Toss are bpa free too! You could also try a regular Playtex Sport straw cup. We *just* got DS one of these now that he's gotten used to regular sippy cups and he's confused