Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #1  

Default Diet pills w/o caffeine????

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to
recommend a diet pill or appetite suppressant without caffeine.
I'm not a coffee drinker so anything with caffeine makes me sick.
And then on top of that I've had Pancreatitis twice and I'm 28 years old.
So for example Alli I cannot take which really makes me mad, being the only product FDA approved. Does any one know if Phenocal or Lipofuze have caffeine. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I know diet and excercise are going to work but a little help wont hurt.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #2  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

A little help *will* hurt. Please try to avoid these drugs, as they are no substitute for eating correctly and changing your lifestyle. You should aim for foods high in fiber if you want to control appetite. You also need to re-train your mind and stomach to deal with true hunger over perceived hunger. Yes, exercise is also a natural appetite suppresant.
I'll warn you...I've tried the pill thing, and without making a radical lifestyle change, I gained everything back. Pills are not the answer.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would avoid all diet pills if I was you. Most of them contain lots of stimulants, that are caffeine like even if they don't have caffeine.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The safest appetite suppressant is fiber with plenty of water - but because of the pancreatitis I think you should talk to your doctor first, not only before taking any otc medication or fiber supplements, but also before making large changes to your diet.

Because the pancreas is a digestive system organ, I would be concerned that diet could have an impact on inflammation of the digestive system. It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor or (even better) a diabetic counselor or dietitian with a lot of diabetic counseling experience, before making any significant changes in your diet such as including a lot more fiberous foods. I know that pancreatitis is not diabeties, but you want a medical profesional familiar with the pancreas and it's function in digestion and the effects of diet on the pancreas. So an endocrinologist or diabetic counselor would generally know more than most general practitioners.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-03-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

It sounds like you have the end weight in mind, and not how you are going to maintain it. Are you willing to stay on these pills forever? Because without some lifestyle change, once you go off these pills you will bounce right back up. And then what? Back on the pills? Then off? And on???

If these pills WORKED, it would be the greatest thing ever and we would all be on them. But they DON'T work, not in the long run.

Sorry...
Do it the RIGHT way, and you will be able to maintain your loss forever. Do it the WRONG way with pills, and you will become a human yoyo...

JMHO

Kira
Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Sorry to say, but everyone else is right. STAY away from these drugs.

The best appetite suppressant that I know of is food! Eat small, healthy and well-planned meals at least every 3-4 hours throughout the day. It takes some time to get used to, but at least you aren't doing any damage to your body.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Ditto everyone else. The pills are just part of a mindset that won't get you where you want to be over the long haul, and the risk of hurting yourself is high. Been there, done that - I think I can say that my experiences with at least 7 kinds of pills helped me achieve ... my highest weight ever.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #8  

As much as I hate to admit it I know all of your are right and I am wrong.
Thank you everyone for your advice.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Fiber helps the most- when I'm really hungry I fill up on foods like cauliflower and other high fiber foods- it's the only natural appetite suppressant that works for me

Google natural high fiber foods- I'm sure there is something in there you wouldn't mind frequently eating (I cannot get ENOUGH cauliflower) that can help
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I take phetamine. its just an appetite suppresant. you have to excersize and eat right.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

If diet pills worked, we'd ALL be taking them. Finding a healthy eating/exercise plan that works for you, that you can stick to for life...works.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Phentermine will work but you have to be prescibed it by your doctor. And its hard b/c they really monitor who can take it and most doctors won't prescribe it. Coming from someone whose tried many of the pills out there...I have to tell you really its best to lose weight without any of them. Like everyone else said its really about learning how to eat correctly and sticking to it. From my own experience I really believe diet pills are a gimmick that should just be avoided at all costs especially since these days they keep discovering more and more tainted ingredients and negative side effects...
not to mention all the $ spent on them that could instead be spent on more high quality fulfilling food =D
Find foods full of fiber, protein, and even try whey protein shakes they are GREAT for leaving you feeling full for hours and are full of vitamins. They make good meal/snack replacements once in awhile!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/196/135

Height: 5'8"

If there was a pill that really helped and really worked, a lot of people (especially celebrities) would be using it and we wouldn't have anyone that was overweight.
Try 6 small meals a day instead of three big ones. Eating constantly (every 2-3 hrs) keeps hunger away and metabolism up. Try prepping your normal meal and saving half for later. Eat slowly and enjoy every bite so you can get the "I'm full" feeling as soon as it happens and not after you've downed a second helping faster than your body knows what it's even getting. Try drinking(water preferably) first when you think you're hungry. Lots of people can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst and end up eating when they aren't really hungry. Try these tips instead of spending money on a pill.
Closed Thread