20-Somethings - what sizes are "big"?

View Full Version : what sizes are "big"?

jayohwhy
06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
i am currently a size 10 and yet i feel as large as i was when i was a size 18. maybe its because i am not sure what sizes other people views as "large". i have little or no perspective on how i really look! i think that is what is driving me crazy.

honestly, what sizes are skinny, normal and large? what do you guys think?

Thighs Be Gone
06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
When I was an 18, I felt big--not really big, but big--I felt thick in my movements. When I was in my latter months of pregnancy I couldn't breathe and didn't feel good even walking. I was in an XL Maternity size.

rachiebach
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
For me a size 6 is skinny. A size 8 is normal, and a size 10 (my current state also) is slightly over-weight. However, I only think this way because when I was younger my mother told me that I should be happy to be a size 6 bc a 6 is skinny (I was in 6th grade). So it's just kinda always stuck with me that a size 6 is skinny.

So yeah, to me double digits is not where I personally hope to be, but a size 8 really isn't all that much smaller than a size 10 (like when I was at 145 I could almost fit into a size 8, but I couldn't squeeze into a size 10 until I was at 155). I think it's just one of those things where it's really all relative and all in your head as to what is skinny and what isn't. Bc honestly, I have no idea what I really look like to other people...

Beautiful Ace
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I think size ten is "normal". I think the sizes that magazines or media consider "normal" are seriously abnormal and look pretty unhealthy if it's not your body type. Like... Normal is a variety of sizes I think. Depends on the person.

misspiggy408
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Ya, i think it just depends on your height, weight, etc. I'm also in a size 10 right now, but being 5'3" I think it wouldn't hurt to try to get back to a 7-8. That's what I consider average/normal for myself.

DRose
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with the above. I'm a size 10, and a lot of my friends are size 10 I'd say its not big, but just a bit above average. I'd also say 8 is average. And 4-6 is skinny... anything under 4 is pretty small! But then again, some people are just built that way.

nitenurse
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
in my opinion anything above a size 10 is considered large

stellarosa27
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I aim for a size 10 or 12. If I were to go below that, I'd look too emaciated (with my body structure - yay hips).

MugCanDoIt
06-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Well I think the stores consider size 14 and up to be plus sized, I think.....But I remember being a size 18 and just thought I was a cow, but now, I would welcome an 18......I hope to one day be in a size 9......probly wont happen for me though cause of my belly skin.

LittleMoonRabbit
06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I really think it depends on your frame size and body type. For example, I know that I will never be a size 4. I am 5'2" but I have huge hips and a huge rib cage. I am shooting for a 6, but even that may be unattainable. Right now I am an 8. My friend and I are almost the same height, and we weigh the same... she's a size 4. She is very apple shaped, and I am very pear shaped, so there is a huge difference in how our pants sit on our bodies.

Reddalice
06-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Don't let how others see sizes become a measure for you. Try laying your current pants on top of the pants you wore at your heaviest size and just take a look at how far you've come. Healthy is healthy and can't be measured by a size and how fit a person is makes a big difference in perception. Confidence is the best weight-loss tool and mirror, everybody else can just kiss it. ^-^ You've done good, keep working on that body-dismorphia, it's hard... but own the hard work you've done and that pant size, because that is AMAZING.

JulieJ08
06-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I used to feel like 6 was skinny, 8 was normal, and 10 was when I had gained some - this is just based on how I felt in those sizes, not something inherent in the numbers. But that was 10 years ago.

Now sizes have changes and I'd have to revise that down to 2-4 skinny, 4-6 normal, and 8 means I'm gaining.

It totally depends on each body. I see lots of women that I think are a bigger size or bigger around than me, but look like they're at a great weight for them. And I don't feel large or ugly in a size 8 or 10, it's just not where I sit now when eating well and exercising.

aneleh
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't think the size means much. Like say a person was quite fit with very little 'pudgyness' aka fat, they could still be wearing a size 12 because of their body type, and it would definitely not look 'big'. I wear a size 7/9 pants but I have a LOT of fat on my but/hips/thighs/calves. By that I mean I can grab a hand-full of JUST fat. What is big? It's so relative! Who cares lol

Mollz
06-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll be so happy once I get into a 14- it means that there's no more "plus size" shopping, and it's a very common size. A 10 and 12 are similar- very common. Anything below a 10 is getting really uncommon, especially where I live- you can't give away those sizes at some clothing stores.

But ultimately, my goal is a not a size, but a body fat percentage (18% is the low end of normal, so I'd like to be a 16% to 17%- and right now, I'm about 32%.

Down here, our sizes are way different: a 6 is like a 2, an 8 is around a 4/6. A 16 is more like a 14/16 in the States. I've got a weird sense of what is big, and for me, anything over a 14/16 is big.

The average woman is 5'4", weighs 150 pounds and is a size 12, they are NOT 5'10", weigh 120 pounds and wear a size 2.

cincimom11
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Height is a huge factor. I'm 5'8" and felt super hot when I wore size 12 pants. I can't wait to fit back into those!

Loraloo
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I think a size 16 is 'big' and a size 8-10 is normal. anything smaller is skinny but it really depends on your shape

sws19
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
like other posters have already said, i think it's all sorta relative to your size and frame and also your frame of reference. in my mind, normal is 6 or 8. 0-4 are skinny. but that's of course only based on my own experience with my body. i'm 5'4". also i haven't been a size 6 since i was 15 probably.

joyra
06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I guess I always thought of 10 as being a normal size. I feel like when I wear a size 10, people wouldn't necessarily look at me as "the fat girl" but I would still want to lose more weight. 12 is borderline... a lot of people lose weight and get to a 12 and look awesome. I still think I look big at a 12.

It's really a height thing too. I'm 5'1 and so a 12 on me looks big but to someone almost a foot taller, a 12 might look great.

moralitylikeart
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
It's very subjective in that it should really about what size you were most comfortable at. Last year I was talking to a personal trainer and she asked me "at what weight did you feel best at?" and my initial thought was "120! size 5" but then I realized that was when I was 13 and an inch shorter... I quickly realized 135 size seven is probably going to be that 120 size five for me now. It's just about at what size you feel best at and a lot of that relates to height and frame...

glutio
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
The smallest I've ever been was a size 10 when I was 18. I felt huge at the time, but when I look back at those pictures I wonder how I could have ever felt that way. Just looking at my face back then, I feel like I look starved.

Different people think different sizes are big or small. I think if you can buy it at a normal store like Target or Walmart in the non-plus sections, that's society's consideration of less than too big. I would kill to be a 10 again, but then again, I'm stuck at a 24!!

SarahMorgan
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
As long as I can shop at the normal section and not the plus size section of a store I will be happy. :) So a size 12 or under. I spent my life (before children) in a size 0-2...and at the time I thought I was fat! Right now my 16's are falling off of me, but I couldn't squeeze into a 14 to save my life!

Aurora
06-03-2009, 10:14 PM
As others have said, frame, height and weight distribution make all the difference. The numbers on the scale or in your waist-band only mean something to you as an individual.

For me, size 10 starts to feel normal. That's partly because I know that the difference between a 14 and a 12, as well as from a 12 to a 10 is 1.5 inches. But the difference between a 10 and an 8 is only 1 inch. So once you get to a 10, every inch lost makes a bigger size difference.

Here's another question: about how many pounds do you loose to go down a size? For me it seems to be about 10.

cfb8986
06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
It is very interesting that you bring this up. I am right now a 10-12. I am about 20 pounds lighter than my heaviest and I pretty much feel the same. Unless I compare pictures, I can't tell a difference.

However, as a clothing store owner I have come to realize that size is relative. Height and other things make a HUGE difference. I've had women who look a little overweight to me who turned out to wear a size 0-2.

beautifulmess
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
size 12 is considered 'normal' but really who is anyone to tell anyone else what normal is? everyone's body is different! I'm a size 14 in pants and I feel like a fat monster. Thankfully though my pants have gotten looser over the past 2 weeks. I want a single digit or yeah anything in the downwards direction would be pretty awesome.

AKT
06-04-2009, 01:35 AM
It depends on your height and how you carry your weight I think if I was a 9/11 I'd look skinny-ish

staceface111
06-04-2009, 01:49 AM
It depends on how you feel. I a mamagazine brainwashed 20 year old who has it burned that the only way for me to be beautiful is if i am a size 2. I see other girls who wear size 10 and think they have amazing bodies. This proves that size is just a number, It depends on how you see your self. Haha now if I could only apply this to my own body :/

TheRightWeigh
06-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't think 10 is very big at all...of course I'm a giant lol...hey i look at it like this my wife Beyonce:dizzy: is a size 9...and she looks great lol:carrot:

picturemeperfect
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
It really depends on what everyone else here has mentioned. Height, frame size, etc. When I was in a size 12, I looked fairly slim. I was definitely on the curvey side, but I have a large frame (based on one of those "measure your wrist, measure your elbow test things), and I do have very large hips. When I was a 12, I maybe could have gotten down into a 10, but that's probably the smallest I could go and feel healthy. I'm 5'6, so not terribly tall, I just have large hip bones and a large ribcage. *nod*

Right now, if I could get back down to a size 12, I'd be happy. A size 10? Well...I don't even remember the last time I fit one of those, so I don't know. I think as long as you're happy, you look healthy, and your other health factors (BMI, etc.) are in the healthy range, people can tell.

sweetandspicy
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with all the above post. Size is subjective. It amazes me that people can weigh different I mean 20+ pounds different and wear the same size. Feel great about your weight loss and celebrate the fact that you are a 10 there are numerous people myself included that would love to be a 10

mayness
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Definitely a subjective thing that you have to decide based on your own body.

I wouldn't think a size 6 is big for almost anyone else... but I know that when I'm a size 6, I'm not yet looking my best. Even when I got down to a size 4 once before, I wanted to lose more weight... I might end up a size 2/3 at goal. (I'm very small framed and short).

If I'm not thinking about a specific person, I think of whether the size falls into "normal" or plus-sized departments at the stores I go to. So while someone might look totally hot in a size 16, if I just hear the number, I know it's often the largest "normal" size and one of the smallest "plus" sizes, so I may think of that as "big."

SamanthaJubilee
06-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I think a size 8 for my height/frame is great. I am aiming for a 10 (I do have a booty & hips).

I think that at my size right now I am too big. I can wear 14W - 18. Just depends on who makes it/what store I buy it in.

I have recently started to change my way of thinking. I don't want to be thin. I want to be healthy. I want to fit into my clothes and wear them. Not have them wear me. I don't care what the scale says as long as I feel good and look good. Right now, I don't feel like I look good. That's why I'm trying to change.

hello pinki
06-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree with the majority here when they say 14 - 10 is normal, anything below 10 is small. I just tell myself "marilyn monroe was a 14" and look how stunning she was! Back then curves were IN and HOT HOT HOT. Society now tells us we have to be a size 0 with boobs and a butt and that's just not reality.

JulieJ08
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I think when Marilyn Monroe wore a 14, it was much smaller than a 14 today. I found these stats for her - I don't know how accurate they are, but definitely not a size 14 today! My hips are bigger than that, and my waist much bigger, and I wear a 6.

Height: 5 feet, 5 inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

musubi
06-04-2009, 06:10 PM
For my body type and frame, a size 6 was big for me. 4 is standard and 2 is skinny, 0 is super skinny . When I wore a size 6, I was about 30 pounds overweight and very unhealthy. I am also 5'2", petite body type (and I'm a meso-endo) and frame. It really depends on your body type.

*FYI: I realize that these sizes are small, but it's because I am a small person!

WormwoodDoll
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
As everyone else has said - it depends on each person.

My hips are wide compared to my waist. I have big thighs, a big rear, and hips. So my pants are usually perfect around the hips, but so loose around my legs. It's ridiculous.

To me anything 16 and up are big. 12-14 are slightly above average. I guess 8-10 are normal. And 4-6 would be skinny. Anything below would be small.

I am aiming for a 10 right now. :)

valpal23
06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
as a formerly plus size person... I consider 18+ to be large.. 8 and under skinny.. and everything inbetween average.

Friday
06-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I agree with size 10 being normal.. im shooting for size 10
I started off tight 16.. now im in loose 14..
few more weeks in heading to size 12..
few more months! i will be a 10...
and i still have 35 lbs to lose.. depends on your body, how tall and such..
good luck

SavingServo
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
My sizes are about the same as musubi. I started at a size 8, but for others that's maybe even below where their goal should be. There are lots of really tall ladies on this board who that might look too thin at that size.

Also I've found that once you get closer to the end of the size ranges things get even more wacky than they normally are. Simply because some places stop at 2, some at 0, some at 00 and some places even do negatives. :dizzy:

mizmizzy
06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Well reading through these posts it seems everyone has a different view. But really all that matters is how you see it yourself. What size do you think you would feel most comfortable and happy in? Maybe for you anything above that is uncomfortable or "Big" as you put it. To each his own!!
For me the perfect size is a 7-9, thats healthy and with some curves left and for me thats all I need know! =)

musubi
06-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I think a size 2 for me fits well. I have been struggling SO hard to fit into a size zero just for vanity sake... I was smart enough to realize how stupid this was - that extra pant size is definitely not worth my sanity!

LandonsBaby
06-05-2009, 12:21 AM
in my opinion anything above a size 10 is considered large

Yeah, I guess I would pretty much agree with that. However, sizes vary so greatly it really doesn't matter. I'm currently wearing 16's (sorta..they need altered for a second time but whatever), 14's and 10's. I guess in my head 8's are normal, 10's are pushing it and above that is big. I'm big. I know I could easily wear a size 6. I'm a little person so that would be perfectly normal. A size 4 could be doable too. I don't see me going any lower than that because I've got a big butt and I plan to keep it. :D

RubyGuggenheim
06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
It just depends so much on height and body type. I look pretty normal when I'm a size 12 because A. I'm tall enough to pull it off and B. I carry my weight in my stomach, so when I'm a size 12 I have skinny legs and arms.

However, when my best friend got up to a size 12 she looked obese because she's six inches shorter than I am and carries a lot of weight in her legs and arms.

Objectively, we look about the same level of skinnyness/fatness when I'm a 12 and she's an 8.

Anyway, when I went from size 16 to 14 I felt like that was the shift for me from fat to overweight, and all of a sudden I could see the difference in the mirror (which I hadn't seen before even though I'd lost 30 lbs). Also, when I moved to a size 14 shopping was fun again for the first time in three years. It was a glorious time.

stellarosa27
06-05-2009, 10:07 AM
For me, I can see and feel the shift between a 12 and a 14. The only time I was ever a size 10 was when I was 17 and prom dress shopping - I can be a 10 in dresses b/c they tend to be looser on my hips/thighs/butt. Big thighs run in my family and even though my legs can be toned, they'll always be a bit bigger.

amyleigh
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
My view of what's "normal" is what's normal for me. I'm only 5'3 but I'm currently a 14/16. I have freakin huge hips and know that I will probably never be in the single digits, and honestly feel I would look terrible in an 8. The last time I was in an 8 I was in 7th grade and I was 4'11 and didn't look overweight (just slightly chubby). I remember my freshman year of high school I got a "plus-sized" catalogue in the mail from a company associated with one I had ordered clothes from. Their plus sizes ran from 8-16 in juniors. I remember crying for hours because I realized I would never be a "normal" size by their standards. I've since realized that normal is all relative.

hello pinki
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
It just depends so much on height and body type. I look pretty normal when I'm a size 12 because A. I'm tall enough to pull it off and B. I carry my weight in my stomach, so when I'm a size 12 I have skinny legs and arms.

However, when my best friend got up to a size 12 she looked obese because she's six inches shorter than I am and carries a lot of weight in her legs and arms.

Objectively, we look about the same level of skinnyness/fatness when I'm a 12 and she's an 8.

This is a great point. My BFF is a 10/12 and she is about 5' taller than me and looks amazing. I'm that same size and look quite overweight. Strange.

Jelbb
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Hm.
Big in whose opinion? I think it's all relative.
I'm a size 12 right now, and I feel pretty chunky. That being said, my BFF is a size 16, and I've never thought she looked THAT big. Bigger than me, maybe, but not my definition of BIG.

But there are a lot of considerations, too. I'm 12, but I don't have an ***. Literally, it's like an ironing board. Whereas my BFF has a ghetto booty, and huge boobs... which shove her up into that size 16 category.

I'd say over size 16 is starting to get big. 12-14 is just a little bit chubby. I see sizes 8-10 as society's version of "normal"... and then anything 6 or below, you're "thin." :)

size8
06-06-2009, 02:38 AM
I think height is also a big contributing factor nevertheless...
Size 4/6 - skinny
Size 8/10 - normal
Size 12+ - large

miss shelly84
06-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Yup, I'd say size 12 is when it starts getting into the "large" sizes.

At my thinnest I was 5'1" and a size 6. That was ages ago, mind, but I remember having some curves even at that size. And I would definitely say what constitutes a "large" size also depends on the person, as is a common theme throughout the thread. Not going to nitpick on specific heights/sizes here, cause I'm not trying to offend anyone, but a person who wears one size and is above average height and say, someone who is average or slightly below average height, may look different in a certain size.

M