WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208.5/204/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Making the most of your points?

So how do you do it? Anyonw willing to share tips or tricks for making the most of your daily points? Would love to see how everyone gets the most bang for their buck!
unload2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
This is what I did: I bought a comprehensive points book from my WW outlet and I read it. Just for fun. Like I would a novel. I do this almost every night. This way, I have a pretty good idea of what costs WHAT in points. So if you know where you are starting from, you can get to where you want to go a bit easier.
Then, it is a matter of subsititution and "value judements". Here are some of my thoughts:
Hmmm, RICE tonight? 1 cup rice = 4 points! Rice is a starch. Is there anything I can substitute? Potatoes: 1 cup cooked = 2 points. 1 cup couscous = 2 points. Or 1/2 cup rice = 2 points. Hmmm...I really want rice tonight, so I'll go for it! What what I cut back on instead?

Here are my simple equations:

1 oz chicken = 2 points vs 1 oz fat-free cooked ham = 1 point
1 oz tuna = 1 point vs 1 oz salmon = slightly more than 1 point (becomes an issue if I am really close to my daily max)
1 cup rice = 4 points and 1 cup pasta = 4 points vs 1 cup potatoes = 2 points and 1 cup couscous = 2 points
1 banana = 2 points vs 2 cups grapes = 2 points vs 1 apple = 1 point
low fat costs less than whole fat so use whole fat if flavor is key and low fat if volume is key
oatmeal/cooked cereals are less than sugary cold cereals and are more filling
corn and peas and carrots (in volume) are 1 point veggies vs the rest being 0 point veggies.

So, with these principles, a meal of a burger patty, corn on the cob and potato salad becomes:
a meal of a burger patty, green beans and 1 cup of garlic mashed potatoes.

Bored yet? hahahaha! Anyways, it comes down to getting a grasp of what things COST and deciding if there are any acceptable lower-point alternatives that you might like.

Let us know how it goes!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #3  

What is a WW outlet? And where?????

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
Hi there!
This is what I did: I bought a comprehensive points book from my WW outlet and I read it. Just for fun. Like I would a novel. I do this almost every night. This way, I have a pretty good idea of what costs WHAT in points. So if you know where you are starting from, you can get to where you want to go a bit easier.
Then, it is a matter of subsititution and "value judements". Here are some of my thoughts:
Hmmm, RICE tonight? 1 cup rice = 4 points! Rice is a starch. Is there anything I can substitute? Potatoes: 1 cup cooked = 2 points. 1 cup couscous = 2 points. Or 1/2 cup rice = 2 points. Hmmm...I really want rice tonight, so I'll go for it! What what I cut back on instead?

Here are my simple equations:

1 oz chicken = 2 points vs 1 oz fat-free cooked ham = 1 point
1 oz tuna = 1 point vs 1 oz salmon = slightly more than 1 point (becomes an issue if I am really close to my daily max)
1 cup rice = 4 points and 1 cup pasta = 4 points vs 1 cup potatoes = 2 points and 1 cup couscous = 2 points
1 banana = 2 points vs 2 cups grapes = 2 points vs 1 apple = 1 point
low fat costs less than whole fat so use whole fat if flavor is key and low fat if volume is key
oatmeal/cooked cereals are less than sugary cold cereals and are more filling
corn and peas and carrots (in volume) are 1 point veggies vs the rest being 0 point veggies.

So, with these principles, a meal of a burger patty, corn on the cob and potato salad becomes:
a meal of a burger patty, green beans and 1 cup of garlic mashed potatoes.

Bored yet? hahahaha! Anyways, it comes down to getting a grasp of what things COST and deciding if there are any acceptable lower-point alternatives that you might like.

Let us know how it goes!

Kira
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I love Kira's last sentence the most.

"It comes down to getting a grasp of what things COST and deciding if there are any acceptable lower-point alternatives that you might like."

I have found the above KEY. I am not in WW. I am a calorie counter that uses many of WW ideas, recipes, etc. with a focus on whole foods. There are some good ideas here at 3FC and also on Hungry Girl. You can also Google 2-point recipes or whatever. There is lots of free info. on the net.

Although some don't like these items I have recently discovered how much I adore Shiratake noodles (20 calories a serving) and PB2 which is peanut butter with 52 calories a serving. Prepared with certain sauces and in some dishes, the Shiratake noodles are a total weightloss weapon in my book! The PB2 runs a close 2nd. I eat it plain but you could even mix it with lowfat regular PB or whatever.

These are just a couple of ideas. Like I said above I primarily focus on whole foods. It is just plain easy. I eat a ton of veggies and fruits too. I don't eat much meat except for fish. I have found that meat is constipating to me and makes me feel sluggish. In addition, I never really have liked it in the first place. I like egg whites too--and again the sky is the limit when it comes to the possibilities using them.

Good luck. You have hit a goldmine of info. here at 3FC.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Kiramira gave a great explanation of the thought process she goes through. I do pretty much the same thing.

At one of my first meetings, my WW leader said there were 3 ways we could manage high-point foods:
1. have less of the original food
2. find a lower-point option and enjoy a larger serving size
3. eat the original food in the original amt., and have less of everything else.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #6  

It's important to me to have supper with my family- so I plan my last meal of the day first-then I subtract those points from my daily allowance. Lunch is what I take to work, so I make that and then subtract those points next. The remaining points are for my breakfast and snacks. Usually I try to eat a lot of fruits, so the points stay lower. I also love the 1 point bars from WW and keep those in my purse for something sweet on the run! I save my 35 flex points only for special occasions and I don't eat any activity points.

Highest weight 209#
Today's weight 142#
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #7  
old but young inside

S/C/G: 179/164

Height: 5'2"

Today at a meeting our leader explained ever so easily to take all your points divide by 3 meals and try to figure out meals that way. It's simple and I am going to try that. I have not been having much success lately,due to my lack of trying, so I am trying a new method. See what happpens....
mumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220.6/213.2/145

Height: 5'4

I work 12 hour shifts, so I take everything that I'm planning on eating and as I put it in my lunch bag I count the number of points I have in there and I usually end up with a cushion of about 5 points so I can have a snack or small meal when I get home at night w/ my fiance.
rowan108 is offline   Reply With Quote