Whole Foods Lifestyle - Do any of you count calories?

View Full Version : Do any of you count calories?

festivus
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Just curious, I'm trying at 1350 a day, but not seeing a lot of loss. But I do go over on the weekends. I really need help with discipline! My husband, who is also trying to eat healthy, is always suggesting we go out for dinner, or grab a drink. I give in, and I'm pretty frustrated about it. :(

rockinrobin
06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes, I definitely count calories. Eating healthy never worked for me. I like healthy foods too much and need to track & monitor them, otherwise I'd wind up taking in more calories then is needed.

I'm trying at 1350 a day, but not seeing a lot of loss. But I do go over on the weekends.

Well there you have it. Being "off" even one day a week can wipe out any deficit created during the other 6 days of the week. Yet alone two. You can't have it both ways. Going over on the weekend AND expecting a loss. It simply can't occur.

I plan out the weekends just like any day of the week. I may re-adjust my calories a tad, but they are planned out - and stuck to - just like any other day.

As far as discipline, you've got to decide which you want more - the off plan food - or the weight loss. Once you make the decision that you want the weight loss - and then the ensuing commitment - staying on plan should be a heckuva lot easier. With that commitment, comes the discipline.

festivus
06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm learning a lot about this whole process. This is my first formal effort at weight loss and there is so much I need to figure out about my body!

I exercise 6 days a week (pilates, interval training and yoga), sometimes twice a day. I thought that even if I went over 1350 2 days, I could still pull it off. I don't go insane, but eat closer to 2000 than to 1350 :dizzy:

So, I need to learn from my mistakes. I do really well during the week, especially for breakfast, lunch and snacks, because I plan it out that morning. It's when it comes to dinner it gets tricky for me. I need to do a better job of planning out all of my meals in advance, and also balancing what I eat. That means more veggies!

bargoo
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I count calories and agree with rockinrobin. If you want to lose get a plan and stick to it. IMHO you will not lose on 2000 calories a day,

rockinrobin
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
So, I need to learn from my mistakes. I need to do a better job of planning out all of my meals in advance, and also balancing what I eat. That means more veggies!

Exactly on all three counts. Learning from ones so-called "mistakes" or experiments as I like to call them, planning out all meals IN ADVANCE. And last but not least - more veggies. :broc: :carrot::broc: :carrot::broc:

SamanthaJubilee
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
festivus...I feel your pain! My live-in boyfriend does that exact same thing.

Don't stick to a specific calorie amount per day...do a weekly average. I was just talking about this on another thread (but I can't remember which one).

Example for a 1500 calorie daily average:
S - 1420
M - 1520
T - 1400
W - 1475
Th - 1555
F - 1420
S - 1800

You should have 1 day (the whole day) as a "cheat day" where you eat what you crave...that way during the rest of the week you don't over do it with other foods (or binge) due to those cravings.

bargoo
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
The most important thing is to pick a plan that you will follow. I find calorie counting works best for me. I plan all meals ahead of time and stick to it altho if necessary I may make alteration to it as long as I stay within my calorie allottment. What Samanta describes would not work for me a cheat day in my case would lead to a binge. Again do what works best for you, it's OK to experiment until you find the right fit.

rockinrobin
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
You should have 1 day (the whole day) as a "cheat day" where you eat what you crave...that way during the rest of the week you don't over do it with other foods (or binge) due to those cravings.

I respectfully disagree with this wholeheartedly. Should have a cheat day? Should? Too many "cheat days" is what got me in this situation in the first place.

We've got to learn new habits. There's nothing wrong with telling yourself no every now and then. Just because you WANT something, doesn't mean you have to have it. By giving into that particular want - food - you're giving up what you REALLY want - to be slim and healthy. Gotta look at the longterm picture, not the short term.

Most likely this is exactly why the OP is not seeing a loss - "cheat days".

Glory87
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Wow - I can't even imagine a whole day where I ate whatever I craved, I could do so much damage.

I counted calories very carefully when I was losing, after 4 years of maintenance I still do a daily estimate to ensure I am on track.

When I was losing - I didn't do cheats/treats (except for my birthday and Christmas). Now that I'm maintaning I have a treat MEAL a week, but definitely not a whole day.

I know this sounds kind of weird, but not eating my "crave" foods really worked to eliminate the cravings. I always thought if I denied myself cookies, I'd want more and more cookies. In fact, I know don't crave cookies at all. They aren't even a blip on my food radar anymore.

You gotta figure out what's right for you - I definitely don't think there's any ONE right answer, so many people are successful on so many different plans. Keep tweaking your plan until it's working for you!

melwolfe
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I count calories and we eat out at least 3 - 4 times a week. You can do it even if you eat out. I check out the menu online before I leave the house and know what I'm going to order before we get there. If I know in advance that we're going out on Saturday I'll eat a lighter breakfast, lunch, etc. so that I can have something a little more at dinner if I want. I also make sure that I work out more on the days we eat out.

I have also figured out lots of lighter ways of cooking so that we still eat the same things as before only they're much lighter and healthier now.

Good luck.

mygritsconfessions
06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I do count calories to merely keep myself 'incheck', however I only eat healthy foods, and not process stuff, so usually fall right were I need to be.

Thighs Be Gone
06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Rockin' Robin and Glory are both SPOT ON in my humble opinion. I don't even want a cheat day. I wouldn't do it even if I did. I would only be cheating myself if I did.

I have a different relationship with food. I satisfy the urge by deciding what it is I am really after. Am I craving acceptance in a relationship, attention from my husband, new clothes, a spa day or whatever? I have found it isn't usually food I am after when I allow myself the time to think about it before shoving food in as the remedy. I may even just be thirsty. If it really is the food my goal is to handle it logically and figure out how to work it into my life within reason.

SamanthaJubilee
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I understand that a few of you might disagree with me on what I posted about a cheat day. I have done a LOT of reseach on this and I still stand by what I said.

Never once did I say to go binge on food. A cheat day is designed for you to eat what you like...just in moderation.

I love pancakes & sausage for breakfast. On my cheat day...I can have my 2 pancakes with my turkey sausage. I love fried chicken, so on my cheat day I can have my version of "fried" chicken & mashed potatoes w/ gravy. For dinner I could have a bigger version of BL Hamburger (made with ground turkey) and maybe some homemade fries (baked).

So...it isn't that you get to binge and shove all kinds of horrible food in your mouth. It is a day to enjoy the foods you love, but can't eat on a daily basis...in moderation.

The main point is to satisfy your cravings but stay within your limitations.

That kind of the whole point of keeping an average (per week) of the calorie coal you want to consume.

SamanthaJubilee
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
The most important thing is to pick a plan that you will follow. What Samanta describes would not work for me a cheat day in my case would lead to a binge. Again do what works best for you, it's OK to experiment until you find the right fit.

You are right. My problem is that I wouldn't allow myself to have a "cheat day" and I would get fed up after a few months and binge...then just give up.

Having the cheat day will work for me. It may not work for others.
I get these horrible cravings for certain foods and I will find myself eating until I'm sick because I am refusing myself that one thing. (Even eating A LOT of the good stuff can be bad for you!)

JulieJ08
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I think everybody has different ideas of what "cheat" means, but I think we can stipulate here that no one's talking about binging :) I *do* find it useful to keep certain foods to one day or even just to the weekend - foods that I don't feel *bad* about, but which do need to be moderated.

I then find it pretty easy during the week to stick close to 100% to everyday foods. It's just what I do during the week. It's habit. If I have some really tasty dessert or once-in-a-while type of dinner food on the weekend, it doesn't mess me up during the week. It seems to be just infrequent enough for me not to cause problems. I'm sure that's different for everyone.

I couldn't do that for every meal all weekend. That *would* mess me up, both calorie- and craving-wise. But I don't need to limit myself to one meal either.

But everyone's different.

ladyviv
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I know this sounds kind of weird, but not eating my "crave" foods really worked to eliminate the cravings. I always thought if I denied myself cookies, I'd want more and more cookies. In fact, I know don't crave cookies at all. They aren't even a blip on my food radar anymore.

Oh MY GOSH!! I read this and immediately thought about when I quit smoking. At first, I craved cigarettes, wanted one 24/7.... last a couple months. Then, it was every 5 minutes.... then every half hour. After a few years, it was once every six months, for about 5 seconds.

I will be smokefree 10 years this coming December 31st, and I no cravings for cigarettes, EVER! I used to say a tragedy would make me light one up, but not even that will get to take another puff.

The idea of not having what you craved before will eventually become no craving at all! Just like not smoking. Wow, what incentive!!

Glory87
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I understand that a few of you might disagree with me on what I posted about a cheat day. I have done a LOT of reseach on this and I still stand by what I said.

It's great that you can handle "crave-y" foods in moderation, some people (myself included) just can't. Some foods - like white crackers, cookies, chips, pretzels set off intense carb cravings that last all day. Eating those foods invariably makes me feel worse, so...after months of figuring out what works for me, I dramatically limit those foods. I used to crave those foods all the time - they were my go-to foods of choice.

Your further explanation of your meaning is pretty different than your initial post of "You should have 1 day (the whole day) as a "cheat day" where you eat what you crave" and makes more sense to me from a diet/health perspective. I don't think I would ever recommend an entire day of eating "foods you crave" to a someone trying to lose weight - my idea of "foods you crave" is a lot different than your description of "a healthy version of a hamburger" or a turkey sausage instead of a regular sausage (which are healthy subsitutions I make on a daily basis). Mine would be more like chocolate molten lava cake or Salt & Vinegar Pringles :) For a lot of people it would be fast food or ice cream.

For me - it was just easier not to "cheat" while I was losing weight. The black/white yes/no made everything simple for me.

festivus
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all of your support and advice!
:hug:

bargoo
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think of a cheat day as a day to binge, I am saying that if I allowed myself to have a cheat day that might cause a binge.
The beauty of calorie counting is that I can eat whatever I want every day, but I stay within a set number of calories. Counting calories is the most flexible way to diet.

rockinrobin
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by SamanthaJublilee

I can tell you that I've lost 165 lbs, have kept it off for 1 month shy of 2 years now and I didn't have a "cheat day" the year I was losing. So to say that in order to lose weight one SHOULD do this, kinda gets to me.

You mentioned that you've done a lot of research. I am very curious to hear more about that. Could you please share that with us. Thanks.

bargoo
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SamanthaJublilee

I can tell you that I've lost 165 lbs, have kept it off for 1 month shy of 2 years now and I didn't have a "cheat day" the year I was losing. So to say that in order to lose weight one SHOULD do this, kinda gets to me.

You mentioned that you've done a lot of research. I am very curious to hear more about that. Could you please share that with us. Thanks.

robin, congratulations on such a great loss. You have lost about twice as much as I have, I don't do cheat days either.

SamanthaJubilee
06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Here are a few of the MANY sites you can find just by using Google.

There are a few books in Barnes & Noble (or any large book store) that you can read.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia3.htm

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/cheat-days.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2039788_incorporate-cheat-day-diet.html

http://www.chetday.com/cheatdays.htm

I do feel that even on your “cheat days” you should still try to eat healthy.
Example = you want a burger…DON’T GO TO McD’s or JIB or any fast food place! Make your own burger…with all the fixins you like! Just use whole wheat buns and ground turkey instead of beef. Use 2% Kraft cheese (the pepperjack is awesome). Add on spinach or lettuce, tomato, onion, reduced sodium pickles, roasted red pepper, jalapeno…you name it. Use lite mayo or skip the mayo and go with the mustard. There are lower fat/calorie options all over the place that will turn the greasy fatty hamburger that makes you feel miserable into a very filling healthful meal.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/09/17/cheat_to_lose_diet.php

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/09/17/cheat_to_lose_diet.php
I love this one! It explains what a few of you are trying to say & also what I am trying to say (What A Cheat Day Should Be).

A cheat day or meal isn’t meant to be a day/meal that you binge and eat horrible, bad for your body foods (like fast food or junk)…it is meant for you to relax a little and add a few more calories in and maybe go ahead and have that little bit of full fat cheese or dressing. Just in moderation.

I don’t claim to know it all, but I did do my research.
I also know that just because this works for Jane Doe that it might not work for Mary Sunshine. I am only trying to offer advice that MIGHT work. It is always trial and error until you can find what works for you.

Having a cheat day has worked for me in the past.

The only reason I gained the weight back is due to depression and insane hormone fluctuations (both of which are now under control).

I hope you can respect my opinion as I am respecting yours.

melwolfe
06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Samantha, I'm just curious what type of foods you eat regularly? Not judging, truly curious. As the "cheat" foods you describe are the things I eat daily. I didn't cut anything out when I changed my lifestyle, I just found better ways/foods to get the same thing, I still have hamburgers (97/3 beef) on whole wheat buns, honey mustard, etc., mac n cheese made w/ whole wheat pasta and low fat cheese. So, if these are your cheat meal type things what do you eat on a regular basis?

Glory87
06-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Melwolfe. I had a turkey burger for lunch - it was definitely on plan, nothing I would consider a cheat/treat.

I was wondering what Samantha's daily menu must look like if a healthy turkey burger with mustard and a whole grain bun is special weekend food.

Glory87
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM

I don’t claim to know it all, but I did do my research.
I also know that just because this works for Jane Doe that it might not work for Mary Sunshine. I am only trying to offer advice that MIGHT work. It is always trial and error until you can find what works for you.

Having a cheat day has worked for me in the past.

The only reason I gained the weight back is due to depression and insane hormone fluctuations (both of which are now under control).

I hope you can respect my opinion as I am respecting yours.

I definitely respect that - but I hope you can see how different this is from your initial approach where you stated that everyone should have a cheat day (THE WHOLE DAY) where they eat everything they crave. It was pretty emphatic - that it is what everyone SHOULD do.

You've gone on to amend what you meant by "crave foods" (which is NOTHING like my interpretation of a crave food - to me a hot fudge sundae is a crave food) and then to further clarify that it worked for you, not necessarily everyone else - which I completely agree with.

I thought your intial statement (as it was phrased) was spectacularly bad advice (because based on my interpretation of a whole day eating crave foods, it sounded like an ice cream, fast food, pizza blow out), but your last post was very reasonable and made a lot of sense.

rockinrobin
06-04-2009, 06:13 PM

A cheat day or meal isn’t meant to be a day/meal that you binge and eat horrible, bad for your body foods (like fast food or junk)…it is meant for you to relax a little and add a few more calories in and maybe go ahead and have that little bit of full fat cheese or dressing. Just in moderation.

I'm with Glory. These two statements aren't even close. The second statement is a heckuva lot different then spending a whole day eating what you crave - because back in the day I craved - chocolate, cake and cookies. As well as pizza, ice cream, fried chicken, french fries, etc..

You also used the word SHOULD as if it's a given FACT that that's how weight loss is done. And let's face it, there isn't any ONE way that it IS done. We can never tell anyone what they SHOULD do. Suggest is one thing - state as a given, another.

According to some of your *research*, which is basically just a couple of peoples *opinions*, I disagree with what they say as well.

For example:

Eight weeks into your 'diet', even though your abs are beginning to show, your energy levels are a lot lower then they used to be. Plus, your mind is starting to think about 'food'. Not chicken, sweet potatoes, or green beans, but of dipping a chocolate bar into a bowl of ice-cream! You can hardly call that food, but these are real thoughts and they aren't going away.

Eight weeks into my so called diet, my energy levels were SOARING. Soaring. Like never, ever before. I was a bundle of energy, after being lethargic,listless and unproductive for so many years.

Eight weeks into my so called diet nothing could have been further from my mind then chocolate or ice cream. I was so into this lifestyle, and having done away with "those foods" for the 8 weeks my "wants" and cravings for "those foods" was no where to be found on the radar screen. So, umm yeah - the thoughts of them - they want away. Far. Far. Away. Refraining from those foods completely dried up my wants for them.

Much of the *research* was the same kind of mumbo jumbo. Didn't jive with anything I was experiencing.

Rosinante
06-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Respectfully hoping I'm not throwing petrol on flames but it's the concept of 'cheat' that I struggle with. I appreciate to some it may be mere semantics but to me 'cheating' is always a despicable word, and I don't need help to puncture my fragile self esteem!
I do try to eat whole foods the whole time and I don't have a designated day to not do that. I do designate Sundays as a higher calorie day - it used to be so that I could accommodate a more 'traditional' Sunday dinner, these days it tends to be to make sure my weekly average calories are well up where I want them to be.
There are days when I do have something non-whole but only at one meal, and only one element of the meal (like yesterday's bacon chop totally smothered in veggies) - and it's undeniable that because I do that I don't feel deprived of the stuff, it's become a natural choice to eat it less frequently; but I consider that that's part of my plan, so when I do it, I am totally On Plan and not cheating.

JulieJ08
06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Eight weeks into my so called diet, my energy levels were SOARING. Soaring. Like never, ever before. I was a bundle of energy, after being lethargic,listless and unproductive for so many years.

Um ... we can tell :) You make me tired just reading your posts. But thank God eating right makes *someone* a bundle of energy. :D

SamanthaJubilee
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I guess I could have gone into more detail earlier on and made it a lot more clear...I guess to me I've already got it set in my mind what a "cheat day" is and I didn't take into consideration other people POV of it.

I just gave a simple example...I have tons!

My craving is a SuperSonic Jalapeno Cheese Burger...I eat a Turkey Burgers. If my craving is a chocolate sunday...I eat Fat Free Breyer's Strawberry IceCream with Fat-Free Chocolate Sundae topping. If I want french fries...I eat unfried sweet potato sticks.

In regards to a sample menu for 1 day:
Breakfast = 4 egg whites, 1/2 c mushrooms, handfull (or 2) of baby spinach (if I need a kick I will add some homemade salsa) 2 cantaloupe slices
Snack = fat free cottage cheese w/ fresh pear or peach or strawberries
Lunch = 4 - 6 oz baked or rotisserie chicken w/ fresh green salad
Snack = carrot sticks & hummus
Dinner = baked chicken or fish w/ grilled or steamed veggies & brown rice
(I work out 1 hour after I eat dinner)
After workout "snack" = protein shake made with BL Protein powder - 1 c skim milk, 1 c strawberries (if you want tropical you can do the 50 orange juice by tropicana and add in fresh pineapple)

I try to balance my meals/snacks out so that I am close to (doesn't have to be exact) 1500 calories...

melwolfe
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Cool beans. Like I said, was just curious. Thanks.

Thighs Be Gone
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I thought your intial statement (as it was phrased) was spectacularly bad advice (because based on my interpretation of a whole day eating crave foods, it sounded like an ice cream, fast food, pizza blow out), but your last post was very reasonable and made a lot of sense.

Ditto.

rockinrobin
06-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Um ... we can tell :) You make me tired just reading your posts. But thank God eating right makes *someone* a bundle of energy. :D

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - are you trying to say that eating right doesn't make *most people* - bundles of energy? :?::?::?:

JulieJ08
06-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - are you trying to say that eating right doesn't make *most people* - bundles of energy? :?::?::?:

More energy, yes. Bundles, no.

rockinrobin
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
More energy, yes. Bundles, no.

Julie, I don't think you can possibly imagine (thank goodness) just how listless, lethargic and energy-less a person can be at 287 lbs. That would be a 5 foot, female - 287 lb person.

There is no way around it - our journeys were/are very different.

Glory87
06-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I felt completely energized as well. I ate really bad foods and way too much of it. I was sluggish, depressed, I fell asleep in meetings, in my office in the afternoons. When I changed my life and started eating better, it was a lot like sticking my finger into an electrical socket. It's rarely like that now, I feel like my energy level is "normal" but it was a dynamic few months there where I felt zinging with energy, all the time :) But, unlike that article, my energy levels have never gone back to the previous low levels, I never suffered "low energy" because of healthy eating - quite the opposite!

rockinrobin
06-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I felt completely energized as well. I ate really bad foods and way too much of it. I was sluggish, depressed, I fell asleep in meetings, in my office in the afternoons. When I changed my life and started eating better, it was a lot like sticking my finger into an electrical socket. It's rarely like that now, I feel like my energy level is "normal" but it was a dynamic few months there where I felt zinging with energy, all the time :) But, unlike that article, my energy levels have never gone back to the previous low levels, I never suffered "low energy" because of healthy eating - quite the opposite!

Thanks for piping in Glory. I really had a hard time believing I was alone in that feeling.

I was so darn psyched, totally and completely PUMPED about the changes that I was making. I was so excited. That alone gave me increased energy.

But then of course there was the fact that I was giving my body *finally* what it truly, truly needed. I was no longer lying around in a carb stupor. My headaches completely stopped. As did the buzzing in my hands and feet. Oh and that HORRIBLE sleepiness. Like I was drugged or something. Completely, completely DISAPPEARED. And replaced with boundless energy. It was fabulous. Still is. :D

JulieJ08
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Julie, I don't think you can possibly imagine (thank goodness) just how listless, lethargic and energy-less a person can be at 287 lbs. That would be a 5 foot, female - 287 lb person.

There is no way around it - our journeys were/are very different.

Having suffered from depression I imagine I can imagine it.

But my point was not to say anything was wrong with you. Just what (I thought) was a good-natured joke, because you just seem to bounce off the walls with energy.

I have never had that much energy, ever. And people have posted that they have lots of energy and feel perfectly healthy despite being morbidly obese. I think it's lots more than how you eat, although how you eat might be the dominant factor for some people.

rockinrobin
06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Julie, I'm glad that my energy comes across in my posts. That makes me happy. :) I do think it's hard to get things across here on this great big internet.

And people have posted that they have lots of energy and feel perfectly healthy despite being morbidly obese.

I can't recall seeing too many, if any posts of that sort. But apparently they exist. But talk about people having different experiences. I can't for the life of me figure out how any one can feel perfectly HEALTHY, while being MORBIDLY obese. That just seems like a total oxymoron *to me*. Heck, I can't even fathom the high energy part. I wonder if after losing the weight, they experience even MORE energy. Now that WOULD BE boundless energy.

letstryitagain
06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm one who is full of energy and feelings of health at a morbidly obese weight. There is a definite line over which I start to feel terrible and lethargic. I am just under that line now and feel pretty darned good. It is also tied to how I am eating. Even at this size, if I'm eating well and exercising, I feel great. I have just regained a lot of weight from a previous loss, so it is in my recent experience to know how I felt much lighter. While I felt a little better 50 lbs. lighter than now, it was only a slight difference.

kaebea
06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
hi festivus,
you and I are the same height, and i don't think i could survive on 1350 calories per day.
i can loose weight on 1600 per day with moderate exercise.
perhaps if you uped your cal allowance, you would be able to stick to a plan easier.
i know from experience that you can easily plan ahead to go out to dinner and still fall withing the 1600 range. most restaraunts have light choices. or you can put together your own meal and ask for alternative substitutions for things like fries.

but this has made me curious,
what are other peoples calorie limits? esp. those who have lost and are maintainers?

p.s. on the subject of 'cheating'--doesn't work for me either, b/c what i crave usually is more related to quantity of food, not just a specific food!!!
for example, and handful of m&m's won't satisfy my craving, but it will intensify it! i think it all depends on your body chemistry.

for clarification: i will still loose weight on 1600 cals with no exercise, it's just that i normal DO exercise of some form.

zenor77
06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
hi festivus,
you and I are the same height, and i don't think i could survive on 1350 calories per day.
i can lose weight on 1600 per day with moderate exercise.
perhaps if you uped your cal allowance, you would be able to stick to a plan easier.

I agree. I'm not sure how old you are (age can be a factor in metabolism), but I'm a similar height and weight and I lose on 1500 calories a day. Without exercise. Granted, the weight comes off slowly, but it comes off.

I do have days when I eat at maintenance calories, but not every week! Only special occasions (like anniversary, birthday, the occasional wedding.) Those weeks I lose a bit less, but I still lose typically.

Thinfor5Minutes
06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I got an audio cassette of the Body for Life book, and the author DOES advocate having a "free" day where you eat anything you want. Apparently nothing is off limits. I remember thinking to myself when I heard that that I would lose all of the benefits I had gained in the previous week if I had a day like that, plus it would be harder to get back on the wagon the next day. It's better just to stick to plan every day, IMHO.

festivus
06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
hi festivus,
i can lose weight on 1600 per day with moderate exercise.
i know from experience that you can easily plan ahead to go out to dinner and still fall withing the 1600 range. most restaraunts have light choices. or you can put together your own meal and ask for alternative substitutions for things like fries.

but this has made me curious,
what are other peoples calorie limits? esp. those who have lost and are maintainers?

p.s. on the subject of 'cheating'--doesn't work for me either, b/c what i crave usually is more related to quantity of food, not just a specific food!!!
for example, and handful of m&m's won't satisfy my craving, but it will intensify it! i think it all depends on your body chemistry.

for clarification: i will still lose weight on 1600 cals with no exercise, it's just that i normal DO exercise of some form.

I agree. I'm not sure how old you are (age can be a factor in metabolism), but I'm a similar height and weight and I lose on 1500 calories a day. Without exercise. Granted, the weight comes off slowly, but it comes off.

I do have days when I eat at maintenance calories, but not every week! Only special occasions (like anniversary, birthday, the occasional wedding.) Those weeks I lose a bit less, but I still lose typically.

Thanks for the replies! I'm 24 years old, and this is my first formal attempt at losing weight. So I'm really not sure how my metabolism reacts to different amounts of calories. I've since lost a bit more, about 2 pounds, but it seems like I should be losing more.

I know it's very difficult to quickly gain muscle, but my body type has always lent more to the muscular than slender. Although my measurements haven't decreased a lot (1 inch off waist, 1 inch off hips since April), I have a lot of muscle definition in my legs (when flexed you can see individual quad muscles, the v etc) and am gaining a lot more core strength.

I gain weight all over my body, I'm not a pear or apple body shape. So my guess is that I am burning fat all over my body more so that targeted areas, because clothes do fit looser and I look better, but the scale and measuring tape is slow to show progress.

kaebea
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
hi festivus,
weight loss in not fast if you are really making changes that you can stick with. 1-2 lbs a week is considered good lasting weight loss when you are loosing wieght healthfully, as opossed to crash dieting, where you drop 10lbs in a week by using extreme measures, then eventually re-gain it when you return to your unhealthy eating habits.

Britchick
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
The decision to have a "cheat" day once a week changed my life!! I like to call it "Sod-it Saturday"

By "cheat day" I mean a day where I eat the full 2000 calories that a normal person of a healthy weight eats.

The extra 600 - 800 calories this affords me lets me have a treat such a chocolate or a couple of glasses of wine!!

I also read in a diet publication that mixing things up a little and eating your full allowance one day a week stops the body from going into preservation mode and thus stimulates the metabolism.

It also keeps me sane - we all should have time in our schedules when we can relax a little (the constant monitoring can be a tiring business) and reward our efforts.

The key here is moderation - you can have a cheat day once a week where you can give yourself a treat - you just can't drop your diet mentality completely and eat everything in sight!!

It has worked for me thus far ... 15 pounds down .... 35 to go!!! This Sod-it Saturday, a couple of glasses of wine and a slice of cheesecake will be my poison!

kaebea
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
i think alot of people do what you are talking about ^ i just don't think of it as "cheating". that's such an ugly word. and for people with a binge eating disorder, "eating whatever I want" means something entirely different :)
i just think of it as flexibility with my diet. no one would disagree that it's okay to allow yourself a treat once in a while.

Lucky Charms
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I got an audio cassette of the Body for Life book, and the author DOES advocate having a "free" day where you eat anything you want. Apparently nothing is off limits. I remember thinking to myself when I heard that that I would lose all of the benefits I had gained in the previous week if I had a day like that, plus it would be harder to get back on the wagon the next day. It's better just to stick to plan every day, IMHO.

I followed the Body for Life program many years ago in college and lost 40 pounds. The key is that while you have a free day each week, the other 6 days you follow a very structured eating plan with limited food options. (Your basic bodybuilder diet with lean protein sources, complex carbs, portions based on your fist size.) There is also an exercise component, which helps you build muscle.

In the end I think the people who are really successful at BFL do not go wild on their free day. If you read the newest book by some of the people who won the contest they tend to have one free meal versus the whole day. Even then many of them pick healthy options like fish, turkey burgers, or pizza with veggies.

I think about doing BFL again, but I have a hard time sticking to such a limited food list. Currently I am trying calorie counting, and try to stick to an average of 1700/day. I do try to calorie cycle, so that I eat a few more calories on Saturday and a few less on Sunday to balance it out. I decided I would rather eat a bit more and loose weight slowly. I don't think I would stick to any program if I tried to eat less than 1400 calories.

Samantha100
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
What concerns me is that you stated you did NOT count calories on the weekends. That could be your problem. So what works for me? I have a digital food scale on my kitchen counter and weight everything I put in my mouth. I use FitDay on my computer to track my calories, nutrition, weight, and exercise. I enter the food in FitDay BEFORE I eat it to see the impact the food is going to have on my body. I try to make my calories count with good, wholesome food (plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables). I keep track of the amount of water I drink and try to consume no less that 87 oz per day. Because I have high blood pressure, I watch my sodium and caffeine intake. My goal is to eat between 1400-1600 calories/day and walk no less than 3 miles/day on my treadmill. All of this has allowed me to lose about 11 pounds/month average.

WS09
08-19-2009, 06:55 AM
I use to have a calorie counting book years ago and I got fed up using it. I try to eat more healthy foods and exercise 3 days a week at home.