Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #1  

Default how do i choose a diet plan

I'm back after a long absence. I previously lost 40 pounds on the South Beach Diet. I never quit met my goal and now I'm ready to start over and lose the weight I've gained and make it to my goal.

I just can't seem to get started by on the Beach. Between my job and taking care of my 88 year old mother, I need something that doesn't take a lot of time planning and preparing meals. I also need something that will help me get back control of my diabetes. (type II).

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you can afford it how about Medifast? I think you eat two of their meals a day then one meal on your own that's protein and veggies. I have seen many people go on that diet and have success.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

When you were diagnosed with Type II diabetes, were you recommended a meal plan or diet? The one that I was recommended (the standard ADA exchange diet) was miserable for me but luckily there seem to be many different diets out there for people with Type II.

There's the exchange diet, which lets you eat most of the foods you normally would, but in the right combination and portion size. This has helped lots of people lose weight and control their sugars, but wasn't right for me.

There are low carb diets where you can eat what you'd like as long as you count carbs and stay under a certain amount per meal (or per day).

There are low glycemic index diets, where you generally eat a low fat, high complex carb diet. This is what seems to be working best for me. Other people find it hard to control their sugars while eating any carbs, even low glycemic ones like legumes and whole wheat pasta.

What my doctor told me was the best diet is the one you can actually stick to! You'll lose weight on almost any diet, but the right one is the one that you can stay on for life. What do you like to eat? What foods do you need to avoid because they make your blood sugars spike?

Good luck with everything!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #4  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, any diet is going to take planning and figuring that you have to prepare meals anyways, the trick is finding something that you can stick with.

How long ago were you on South Beach? They have revised it with the Supercharged plan and added to the food lists. I'm mentioning this as where you are already familiar with SB it may be the easiest for you to do.

Now I know you are probably rolling your eyes as you said you were having a hard time getting started back on SB. Is it the Phase 1 thing? If so, why not just pick up again with Phase 2? You're already familiar with the principles and it's not hard to adapt your meal plans.

It's good healthy eating and a terrific plan for Type II diabetes. (My DH went on SB with me and not only did he lose weight, he no longer has to take Metformin.) Plus, you wouldn't have to learn a new plan.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever plan you choose to follow.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm Type II Diabetic too and South Beach has really helped me control my BGL. Start with Phase II rather than Phase I as it can be too low-carb unless you are really careful to include dairy and legumes.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #6  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Hello,
I am on the new Nutrisystem D. It so far for me has been wonderful. Granted I just finished my first week, but, my FBS is down from 143 to 117 and I have lost the first week fast pounds. Now it will be slow and steady. I am learning a lot about portion control and what I will have to do in maintenace. Yes for me it is expensive, but my health means more to me then anything. It took a little trading off in the budget, but it is manageable. The food is good too.

Just my thoughts,
Good luck in whatever you choose
Melanie in Colorado
Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie52 View Post
Hello,
I am on the new Nutrisystem D. It so far for me has been wonderful. Granted I just finished my first week, but, my FBS is down from 143 to 117 and I have lost the first week fast pounds. Now it will be slow and steady. I am learning a lot about portion control and what I will have to do in maintenace. Yes for me it is expensive, but my health means more to me then anything. It took a little trading off in the budget, but it is manageable. The food is good too.

Just my thoughts,
Good luck in whatever you choose
Melanie in Colorado
Thats great news! My wife also just started Nutrisystem D and I am researching all i can about it. Im glad you are seeing results and I hope we can soon too! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I'm Type II Diabetic too and South Beach has really helped me control my BGL. Start with Phase II rather than Phase I as it can be too low-carb unless you are really careful to include dairy and legumes.
Coming in late on this, but...

This is what my endo recommended. Doing South Beach, and staring with Phase II, skipping Phase I altogether.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The OP has not been back since she posted so I am closing this thread. Too bad. Thanks to all who tried to help.
Closed Thread