Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Runners: It's June

Three miles for me this morning. Nice and easy. Wildlife sighting: two mule deer.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I have been out running exactly once since the half marathon. Oops! Time to get moving again! My sisters are doing a half in the fall, I'm considering training for it. It doesn't seem to make sense to start out with another 12 week from scratch training program at this point. Maybe I'll try my hand at making up my own training schedule. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hi Anne! I'm back again. Hopefully my much needed break will prepare me mentally to tackle this again.

Shananigans... continue at a level you feel good maintaining and merge into a program and or look for a more challenging program. A lot of times where I am at in maintenance mode I only need 4-6 weeks to prepare for a half.

Last edited by ennay; 06-01-2009 at 07:16 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #4  

Hello ennay! Good to see you back. Good to see me back.

Shananigans, I recommend the Lore of Running by Tim Noakes for almost anything you can think to ask about, including lots of training plans. I'm sure Runner's World has some advanced plans on line as well.

Anne
Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Shenanigans, IMO, the easiest way to short-cut the training process for a half (and get faster) is to keep your running base up. If you haven't run for a while, you can try a few runs to see how it feels, then pick your training plan and timing accordingly. For example, if you can still run 5-6 miles comfortably, then you just hop back into your training schedule at that point. The more advanced training schedules mostly have you do more runs at the longer end, so you are more comfortable with the distance.

Last summer (our off-season), my running group dropped back to a long run of 7-9 miles, which we did most weeks, sometimes doing hill work instead. This year, we decided to keep a long run base of 12 miles, so ramping up for the fall/winter marathon season would be easier. So essentially, I can go out and do a half any time I want to. So it depends on where you are right now.

Last edited by MBN; 06-02-2009 at 06:01 AM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Well, it's only been a week and two days since the half. I cranked out about 5 miles on hilly trails pretty easily. Planning to go for 8 after work today. I want to make sure I don't let all this progress slip! I feel like I definitely need a schedule or I just don't do enough. I'll have to spend a little time researching and get it all down on paper.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look around at some plans and see what makes sense.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

hey all! can i join your chat? i am fairly new to running (a couple of months) and am currently training for my first half marathon in October. I am only running about 5km right now, so I have a lot of work (and hopefully enough time) to get there.

i won't be "racing", just running to finish. i'll be happy with anything under 2:30!

i would love to get some tips and techniques from some of you pros!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

welcome, skinnywish. wow! a half marathon! that's fantastic. i wish i wasn't such a scaredy cat, but the idea of that terrifies me. a lot of the other chicks in here have done them though, so i bet they have tons of great ideas.

as for me, for the first time in aaaaages, i just had a really great run. it was one of those days where everything just clicked into place and seemed relatively effortless. unfortunately i stopped after 4.5 miles just cause i was sorta bored, but i felt great for a change. i love it when this happens. i just wish it happened more often rather than once in a blue moon. today i'm choosing to credit the ginormous bowl of pho i had for lunch, despite my nutritionist's prohibition on carbs.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

thanks sws19! just getting ready to head out for my run this morning. it's rainy here, but not too bad yet. hoping to do three miles today...haven't eaten very healthy this weekend (were away at a friends house), so hopefully this isn't too painful...although if i follow your example, sws19, i should have plenty of carbs to make for a great run...
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #10  

Lousy run yesterday. HR was high from the start, and I'm dealing with a fossilized side stitch I gave myself running through it at Wednesday's aquathlon. I made it 2.5 miles and walked it in.

Working with my tri coach again, and she's got me doing 4 on Monday.

Anne
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

hey ladies!!!! I am glad to see everyone is still trucking. Internet has been down for a while. I am now running 5 miles comfortably and I couldn't be happier. the 10K is at the end of the month so I be fine! I tell I love running more and more each time I go out....its amazing!

welcome skinnywish!!!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Ladies.

4.5 miles for me on Saturday and 5 yesterday. Today I stayed in.

Do any of you ever do any water jogging?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hi Ladies--again--

I have only been running a few months--well, like 8 or so...I want to know how quickly you "replace" your running shoes..do you alternate your shoes or just have one pair to run in?

Also, do any of you find it MORE difficut to run in the heat?

Final question--do any of you run in running skirts?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Hi Ladies--again--

I have only been running a few months--well, like 8 or so...I want to know how quickly you "replace" your running shoes..do you alternate your shoes or just have one pair to run in?

Also, do any of you find it MORE difficut to run in the heat?

Final question--do any of you run in running skirts?
Hi Thighs!
Hi Runners

I have asked the shoe question and have been told to replace every 300-500 miles. I use brooks, found them online for 50% less than local store and bought 3 pairs. My original thought was to alternate but then I wouldn't keep as great track of mile so now it's just the one pair with the others on back up duty.

yes, too hot is horrible for me too--i go in very early am

I like the running skirts but have yet to feel comfortable buying and wearing one. (I bought one and returned it to Target-- it was on sale//bright blue--)

5 miles this am after a very off plan sunday. what a great way to start a monday

happy running gals
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

if youve just completed a half ( your first?) its ok you took a little time to recover. While it is a very good idea to maintain your base milage, especially if you are considering training for another half in a few months, its also a good idea to back off the milage, a little bit...lett your body fully recover..your body isnt going to forget how to run, i rpomise!!! Its ok to back off, then when it is time to train again, consider stepping up to a slightly more advance schedule, if you dont want to feel like you are starting from scratch, and tis too easy. Hal Higdon has novive, intermerdiate 1 and 2,and advance training plans, each that call for higher weekly milage, and start off with longer runs than the plan below.... Good luck!

Wndranne-- when your HR is too high right off the bat, when you awake up in the morning, it is a sign your body is overtrained without enough recovery between workouts...take the day off when that happens, or go really EASY... i know, easier said than done..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote