General chatter - Whatcha readin'? June 09

View Full Version : Whatcha readin'? June 09

ANOther
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
About 1/3 of the way through First Family by David Baldacci

On deck: The Last Patriot by Brad Thor

After that: A Terrible Splendor: Three Extraordinary Men, A World Poised for War, and the Greatest Tennis Match Ever Played by Marshall Jon Fisher

SweetCurves32
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
The Purpose Driven Life By Rick Warren

And then just for fun: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

I also just read: Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. I highly recommend this book. Not only did it remind me so much of myself, and my struggles at times, and to again appreciate the fact that I am not alone in them, it just made me laugh out loud - and who doesn't love to laugh. :lol:

icandoallthings6613
06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
The Yiddish Police Man's Union by Michael Chabon. It's fantastic...I'm a bit in love with it. And I've been muddling through The Omnivore's Dilemma.

And I just finished The Night Watch, by Sarah Waters, and it is beautiful, complex and rather heartbreaking. Not a light read, but a good one.

Shopaholic1204
06-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm reading Bloody Bones by Laurell K. Hamilton

SioGold
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm re-reading all of my Terry Pratchett books.. and a deathly boring text book for my correspondence course (geology). :lol:

Darkblue
06-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm reading "A Year in the World," about an older married couple who chucked their jobs and decided to spend a year touring Europe and the Mediterranean region. I'm jealous--I want to do this too!

penmage
06-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I just got in a batch of books I ordered from a book-swapping website, so I've got a bunch waiting in the wings. Currently being read are:

The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway) <- almost finished, thank goodness.
Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison)
and
Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Shopaholic1204
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I just finished reading..The 8th Confession by James Patterson. And now I'm starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith.

mandalinn82
06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Jen Lancaster's books are all good. She's awesome.

I am currently re-reading 1984. So classic. So scary.

PearFreak
06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I just finished two books... The Godmother and then The Stepmother. Both very good. I almost didn't want to return them to the library. I think I'll get them both in time.

Any Emily Giffin fans? I read that Something Borrowed is going to be made in a movie. Hmmmm, I wonder how it'll compare to the book?

Shopaholic1204
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Any Emily Giffin fans? I read that Something Borrowed is going to be made in a movie. Hmmmm, I wonder how it'll compare to the book?

Really? Interesting. I hope they dont mess it up.

PearFreak
06-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is what I found on her site...• 2008. Love the One You’re With debuts at #2 on the New York Times bestseller list. Hilary Swank buys film rights to Something Borrowed and Something Blue, teaming up with Edward Burns’ production company, Wild Ocean Films. Emily begins writing her fifth novel.

I've gotten more from her newsletter though. Just thought I'd share.

I too hope that it is done well. Can't imagine who'd I think would portay the characters though? Hmm?

Shopaholic1204
06-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Well..I hope Hilary Swank doesnt play any of the characters!!! She needs to stick with Oscar winning roles. I loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue.

bacilli
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Warhol by Victor Bockris. It's pretty fabulous, and very different than last month's book (Rise, Let Us Be On Our Way by Pope John Paul II).

ANOther
06-08-2009, 06:44 PM
bump 06.08 Hello! Isn't anybody reading this month?

Shrinking Mama
06-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I just finished Fat Girl by Judith Moore. It made me laugh and then cry. I was able to relate on many levels.

Meggie Girl
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Nearly finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. She is amazing. You would make sure you were slimmish and terrific if you had her Jamie Fraser to hold your hand. Mind you, Jamie likes his lady to have a little bit of meat on her rump. Don't know what I'll read while I'm waiting for the next installment.

txnikita
06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Okay, I know I am old but I just finished New Moon. Now it's on to Eclipse.

PearFreak
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I just finished two books: The Pregnancy Test by Erin Mccarthy... some hot and steamy scenes, a quick read, but good.

Also finished A Match Made On Madison by Dee Davis... I liked it, it was a bit rough to start, as the author did a lot of talking around things that were monotnous, but once in a few chapters it was a good read. It's about two matchmakers who make a bet that they can get a gorgeous guy hitched. The one who does it wins.

Shopaholic1204
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm reading The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton.

Glory87
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Columbine (http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244557015&sr=8-1) - it's meticulously researched and illuminating, but a really tough read. It's slow going with this one.

I just finished Before the Storm (http://www.amazon.com/Before-Storm-Diane-Chamberlain/dp/0778325415/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244557093&sr=1-2) which I liked because it was set in Topsail Island, NC (near where I grew up) so it was fun to hear all the local landmarks. Did NOT like the protagonist and I solved the mystery way early.

L R K
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Just Finished: The Twilight Saga (Over Rated i'd only give it a 5 out of 10)
Reading: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (so far, so good)
Next on the List: Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin (heard a lot of good things)

alinnell
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
bump 06.08 Hello! Isn't anybody reading this month?

I have to admit I haven't opened my book for over a week! I go through these phases where I read and read and read and then go flat and nothing appeals to me to read. I've started Cell by Stephen King but I'm just not that into it.

Glory87
06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I thought the Cell started out great, and then veered into complete loopiness (a sad failing of many King books). My favorite King books tend to the ones that don't have bursts of ridiculous surrealness. Likes - Salem's Lot, Firestarter, The Stand. Dislikes - Rose Madder. Love the beginning, think the end is ridiculous - Tommyknockers, The Shining (don't get me wrong, still love this book), It (giant turtle, tongue biting contest, what??), Insomnia.

FrouFrou
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I read The Late Bloomers Revolution and really liked it and now am reading Such a Pretty Fat...only on Chapter 2 but so far, so good.

Glory87
06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh yeah, Jen Lancaster is hilarious. Have you read her first book - Bitter is the New Black yet?

alinnell
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree, Glory. I like the King books like Misery--the ones that make you cringe when you're reading them.

And another vote for Jen Lancaster!

Glory87
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah - I have real issues with surealness in books. A friend is trying to get me to read Life of Pi and inside I'm thinking "talking tiger? yeah right!" which sounds weird since I loved WAtership Down and The Chronicles of Narnia which are filled with talking animals.

jules1216
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Just finished Skin Trade by Laurell K Hamilton and starting Janet Evanovich's Plum Spooky

rosekeet
06-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I just finished reading "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen. It was pretty good, not as good as P&P (I'm slightly obsessed--my parrot is named Darcy), but still enjoyable. Right now I'm reading two books for the chicano studies class I'm taking this summer. "Crossing Over: a Mexican Family on the Migrant Trail" by Ruben Martinez and "Carmelo" by Sandra Cisneros. Both are interesting...I'm not a big Cisneros fan.... Very different from my usual fair which consists mostly of romance novels.

Smiling_Sara
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm gonna start New Moon. And I'm going to be going on vacation with about 6 books next week. I will update you all with what they are. I hope to get through 4 of them.

Smiling_Sara
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm reading The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton.

dang girl! I wish I could get through books like you, Shop. :)

alinnell
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Glory~I absolutely adored Life of Pi. I'm sure the whole thing is an allegory as there is now way that most of it really happened, but if you're stuck on a boat, more or less alone for many months what else are you to do but make up stories or go insane?

Glory87
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah - not a fan of allegory stories. I like books to be fantasy or reality but I really don't like surreal elements in stories that are presented as real (it's hard to explain). I'll probably give it a try, it's so highly recommended, it's just the type of book I generally have little patience for.

Shopaholic1204
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM
dang girl! I wish I could get through books like you, Shop. :)

LoL!!! Well..for one thing, I have no life..and I've been bored a lot lately. So all I've been doing is reading. I'm trying really hard to read this one slowly though. Because once I'm done with this one, I wont have anything to read until sunday.

LisaMarie71
06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I loved Life of Pi -- I'm always recommending it to people.

I'm not sure if these are ALL the books I've read since I last posted, but they're the ones I can remember reading:

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith
The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith

I've been on a No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series kick, as you can see. They're just such quick, fun reads. Now I'm reading Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth. I've read three of the stories so far and they were quite good.

Glory87
06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I finished Columbine yesterday - it was a really good book. The subject matter was painful and it was a slow read for me, but it was absolutely fascinating. Almost everything I thought I knew about Columbine was not true (the killers were not bullied, Cassie Bernall was shot immediately without a chance to speak). As an insight into the American public and what we think we know, vs reality - it was outstanding.

aerogora
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
He's my fav!

LisaMarie71
06-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Finished Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri -- very well written.

I just started Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek. It's a first novel by a woman who lives in my area, and actually I taught one of her children a few years ago. It's really good so far, disturbing and enthralling and well written. I'm enjoying it. I'm not usually in the mood for books with main characters who are children, but I'm digging this one.

JerseyRockerGal85
06-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Right now i'm Reading Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris, I can't put it down! Can't wait to go to her next book :)

Glory87
06-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Just finished This is How it Happened (http://www.amazon.com/This-How-Happened-love-story/dp/0061241105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244953059&sr=8-1) - chick lit, but I really liked it. Set in TX which was a nice touch for me, liked the heroine very much.

zinkemomx2
06-14-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm reading Twinkie, Deconstructed (http://www.twinkiedeconstructed.com/Twinkiewebsite/Welcome.html).

My last book was Master Your Metabolism (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Your-Metabolism-Naturally-Balancing/dp/0307450732).

Kim K
06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm reading 'The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth' by Jonny Bowden, 'The Eat-Clean Diet' by Tosca Reno, and 'Don't Kiss Them Goodbye' by Allison DuBois. The last one is about a medium who speaks to people who have died.

divinechaos
06-14-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm rereading the entire Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series before I go buy the latest book -- Skin Trade. Right now I'm on Blue Moon

Glory87
06-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Just finished The Late Bloomer's Revolution (http://www.amazon.com/Late-Bloomers-Revolution-Amy-Cohen/dp/0786888172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245133607&sr=8-1). It's a memoir and I loved it. It was funny and heartbreaking.

LisaMarie71
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I finished Tomato Girl and liked it but it's VERY depressing. It's kind of unrelentingly depressing, so don't read it unless you want to read about someone suffering and growing up in an extremely dysfunctional family.

After that, I needed something light, so I started Barefoot by Elin Hildebrand, which is about three women who go to Nantucket for the summer. They have problems (one is dying of lung cancer), but the book still isn't heavy. It's ok. I bought it last year the day before I had to go to the hospital to give birth, thinking I would need something light to read in the hospital, but I had never got around to it.

PearFreak
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Just finished Reinventing Mona. Chick lit. A good read. Some long detailed descriptions, but other then that a pretty good book.

Shrinking Mama
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I finished The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. I loved it! It will stay with me for a long time.

Now I'm in the middle of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is a series of letters and I am enjoying it.

hugasandmann
06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I just re-read the Bachman Books by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). They're classics every time.

Also reading The Fall of Lucifer. It's an interesting story about *duh* the fall of Lucifer, but it's written from the point of view of one of the fallen angels who has changed his mind about following Lucifer. So far, it's really interesting.

momof5k
06-18-2009, 02:15 AM
I just finished Something Blue (liked that one!) and Welsey the Owl (didn't care much for that one) and now am reading How Starbucks Saved My Life (so far so good)

I loved Life of Pi too!

FrouFrou
06-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I have about 90 pages left of Shelter Me by Juliette Fay...I like it. This last trip to the bookstore proved to be a good one, bought some good books. One of those was The Late Bloomers Revolution...GLORY, I loved it too! DD is reading it now and loves it too! She went to Goodreads and others, not so much. Thought she whined a lot...I didn't get that at all but hey, everyone's different. Not sure what I will read next...was hoping to get the other two Jen Lancaster books in the mail...had to order Bright Lights, and the Black one...will get Plaid after I read those. But I've not got them yet so, not sure what to read. But today is definitely going to be a reading day...gloomy and rain outdoors.

Happy reading!

Momofsteel
06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Strictly non fiction for me right now.

Winning By Losing - J. Michaels
Excuses Begone - Wayne Dyer (waiting on amazon for this one) - I seem to let one or two people really get to me - 10 people can give me positive feedback and I let myself be derailed. This book spoke to me - hopefully I will get rid of those negative feelings.

Glory87
06-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Had a great visit with my mom, read three books (love travel):

Unthinkable (http://www.amazon.com/Unthinkable-Survives-When-Disaster-Strikes/dp/B001AL664C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245698734&sr=8-10) - I love disaster/survival books and loved this book! I definitely counted the rows to the exit on both my flights :)

Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-CeeCee-Wilkes/dp/0778325318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245698796&sr=1-1) - by the same NC author I read earlier this month. It was set in NC (Raleigh/Chapel Hill) which was fun. Disliked most of the characters, but realize that people do stupid things sometimes. I thought the ending was a little too tidy.

Serena (http://www.amazon.com/Serena-Novel-Ron-Rash/dp/0061470856/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245698861&sr=1-1) - another NC book - set in Waynesville (my college boyfriend was from Waynesville!). I really found it a pageturner, but it was SO unrealistic. Disliked the title character immensely, didn't "get" the husband. My favorite character was the young mother.

spoilers below
Thought the "blind" fortune telling woman was a needless plot point.

kittycat40
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I read a wonderful novel called Purple Hibiscus.

Purple Hibiscus, Nigerian-born writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's debut, ..... "Purple Hibiscus" is Nigerian writer Chimamanda Adichie's award winning debut ...

Smiling_Sara
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm about half way through Half Assed by Jennette Fulda. I'm absolutely loving it so far!

PearFreak
06-23-2009, 12:33 AM
I have about 90 pages left of Shelter Me by Juliette Fay...I like it.

I read that too. A good book. One I hope to add to my collection soon.

Shrinking Mama
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Just finished The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow. It was ok, but not what I expected. I guess it is hard to tell a true story involving eleven people.

Shrinking Mama
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I picked up Push by Sapphire last night and could not put it down. Wow! I feel like I could move mountains today.

FrouFrou
06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm excited :yay: I just received Bright Lights, Big *** and Bitter is The New Black by Jen Lancaster today! I've been waiting patiently for these, lol. Not to finish Belong to Me...those will be my next two reads.

LisaMarie71
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I finished Citizen Girl by Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin, the authors of The Nanny Diaries and HATED it. I knew in the first few pages that I wasn't going to like it, but I gave it a chance anyway. I'm not sure why. It was so annoying.

Now I'm reading (and enjoying) The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

marbear24
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
(Not sure if this is a forum that requires an introduction for newbies so Hi! I read too much, so I'll be here frequently :) )

Currently reading: No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong

ladeeda20
06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Case Histories

alinnell
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I think I'm finally going to be able to get back into reading. I'm heading off for vacation on Monday and will pack my Kindle which is loaded with several books, but that won't stop me from downloading more if I need to. I'll check back in July!

mysticshaz
06-26-2009, 03:54 PM
well have recently decided to make a change in my reading habits and stop picking romantic comedy books so have just bought

of mice and men but john steinbeck (awsome read if you have not read it already)

make lemonade by virginia euwer wolff, this book is listed as a childrens clasic but it deals with quite adult issues of a single mum living is poverty and as u can guess has little to do with lemonade

and lastly to kill a mocking bird by harper lee have never read it but its one of those must read before u die books ..

am working on of mice and men first..

much love

alinnell
06-26-2009, 04:15 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird is a wonderful book. There are a lot of classics that I'll pick up and re-read from time to time. This is one of them.

Glory87
06-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Finished the new Sookie Stackhouse book, I enjoyed it. I thought the series took a dip in quality in the middle of the series, but it's picking back up nicely. Probably because there is more Eric - I always liked Eric, but I really appreciate the character after seeing him portrayed by the delectable Alexander Skarsgård.

Clydegirl
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I got "Still Alice" yesterday at the library and cannot put it down.

Smiling_Sara
06-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm finishing up fat girl today by Judith Moore. It's a quick read, but a hard one to read by how she portrays herself. I'm also heading to a pool this afternoon and thought about bringing the first Emily Griffin book Something Borrowed ( I have all 4 ) or The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

Glory87
06-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I got "Still Alice" yesterday at the library and cannot put it down.

I really enjoyed Still Alice.

FrouFrou
06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird...love the book and the movie!

Currently reading Bitter is the New Black, actually just started it this morning.

MonteCristo
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
I just started Middlemarch by George Eliot. I've only read three chapters, but it is very interesting.