100 lb. Club - June NSV's

View Full Version : June NSV's

Sandi
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up!

matt_H
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Yesterday I wore jeans sized 44 in the waist. The last time I wore these jeans was in 2003. I dug them out of the bottom of the closet :).

I also got lots of compliments from friends I haven't seen for a while on Sunday night.

cestlavie22
06-01-2009, 12:50 PM
This morning i took my kids to a restaurant for breakfast before taking them for school. They are both clearly worn out from school and i wanted to give them a break and a treat.

Of course, i had alreay had a healthy breakfast. In the old days i would have happily had a second breakfast. This time i listened to my body signals and had a cup of coffee instead, a bite of their breakfast to taste and that was it!

The best part, it didn't feel that difficult, and tasting their breakfast which was good but not amazing confirmed that i made the right decision to keep my calories for really yummy food.

DCHound
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm heading over to Lane Bryant after work to try on (and probably buy) a pair of 2 Red/size 16 jeans...to see if I made my 6/1 goal of fitting into a 16W. The way my size 18s are sagging, I think I'll make it...I'll report back later!

ChocLabLover
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I tried a "hot" yoga class for the first time. I was able to keep up and I was also very proud of how I looked in my yoga clothes.

thistoo
06-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Pulling this back up to the front page to say that lately I have been really loving the way my shoulders look. They're getting really sculpted from weight training and yoga, and they're starting to look really really good.

Carol, I would LOVE to try hot yoga, but I'm scared that I'll throw up in the middle of class! Whenever I get too warm I get really sick to my stomach. I bet I wouldn't be the first, but that's not really a consolation!

scarletmeshell
06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Last night I was tired, feeling overwhelmed with the things I needed to do, and sad. Normally, I would have comforted myself with food. I did not. I'm very proud of myself.
Scarlet

thistoo
06-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Last night I was tired, feeling overwhelmed with the things I needed to do, and sad. Normally, I would have comforted myself with food. I did not. I'm very proud of myself.

Scarlet, that is HUGE. I think we have all been there, and we all know how hard it is to resist falling back into old habits. Good for you!

scarletmeshell
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Scarlet, that is HUGE. I think we have all been there, and we all know how hard it is to resist falling back into old habits. Good for you!
Thank you so much for your encouragment. It really is huge. In my mind I heard all of you nice people on this forum screaming, "Dont' do it Scarlet, step away from the crackers!" and I did. I hope to remember that moment for a long time.

Sheena41
06-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I went out to lunch yesterday and planned ahead using a website to check the menu ahead of time and then picking something off the fit and fresh menu. Total points for lunch was 9.

mel hughes
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Because I decided to try the June points challenge, I walked on a treadmill for the first time in my life yesterday. 20 minutes on the slowest setting. Today I walked again, a little faster, feeling a little better.

You have no idea how exciting that is..But you probably do! =)

Cinnamon
06-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Today the kids wanted to make choc. chip cookies...so we did. It was so weird how strong old habits are...wanting to sample things here and there... but I caught myself every time. I didn't have any, had fun with my kids, and enjoyed some cherries while they ate their cookies.

Alana in Canada
06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I can't believe it--I just did some stretching and core strengthening exercises. If you only knew how huge that is for me! I never, repeat never get down on the floor--not even to clean up spills (my kids do that for me!). It is sooo hard to get back up. :o

But that cannot last forever! And I wanted to post to this thread today, so I did it.

scarletmeshell
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Alana,Cinnamonc Sheena, and Mel congratulations!!!!:carrot:
How wonderful!! Your posts made me cry but in a good way:hug:

DCHound
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I am walking around today wearing a business suit with my shirttail tucked in. My jacket's been draped over a chair all day.

I've never tucked a shirt in before. Well, not since like 2nd grade, maybe. My waist has never been small enough to get away with it. Wow, tucking a shirt in and wearing a belt. And looking good in a mirror. Wow.

Edited to add: In fact I actually turned down a job offer once, right after college, because they issued uniforms and tucking in your shirttail was a requirement, and although I wanted the job pretty badly, needed it, and probably would have really liked it, there was no way on EARTH I was EVER going to tuck my shirt in.

Wow.

YogaGal08
06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
So tonight I went to a work event, and followed my plan. I did not any food on trays (or on a table for that matter) I only stayed an hour and the only drink I was drinking was a seltzer with a splash of cranberry and a lime. This is a major breakthrough NSV for me where most often I tell myself for days I won't eat or drink anything at an event and then by the time I get there I've talked myself into the first glass of wine, which leads to the food and then before I know it I'm smoking and joking and have probably consumed 1000 calories.
None of that, I went, I saw, I ordered seltzer, I said no thank you and I left and headed home after an hour. Plenty of time to get up in the morning and hit the gym. I am so proud of me right now!

Have a great night all!

DCHound
06-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Wonderful!!!! That is a huge one!!!!!!

daniela
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I bought a size 8 jean skirt from Old Navy today...ya that's right a SIZE 8 and it fits just right!!! That's crazy talk LOL The best part was that it was on sale for $15...whoo hoo!!! Can you tell it made my day!!!

2behealthy
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I walked 2.5 miles today! When I started back in February 1/4 of a mile seemed a stretch. Now I am walking 2.5 with no problem. Made my day to go that far.

MrsWolf
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I swam 2km today. That's the farthest I have ever gone. And I could have swum farther, too, but I ran out of time.

Jennelle
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm comfortably wearing a pair of size 18 (not 18W) jeans today! :D

seashell
06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I can cross my lets today like a lady! No more crossing at the ankle like the guys do . . . I've been sitting like this all morning (because I Can) and the circulation is starting to cut off at my foot!

Rosinante
06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Today I went and got fitted for some new bras - that meant having a woman fit me, including stuffing the girls into the cups. I did not mind, I wasn't in the least embarrassed! that's big.
so are they still but we're getting there!

Alana in Canada
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I finally bought a decent kitchen scale! It's was a bit pricier than I wanted--and it does more than I want: it'll tell me the temperature in my kitchen as well as the weight of my chicken breasts! :dizzy:

No more guessing at my portion sizes. Whew.

YogaGal08
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Day 8 no smoking cold turkey. Day 8 no drinking (survived a work and family event with no problems and no pressure from people) 3 90 minute hot yoga classes, a nice hike and completed C25K week 1. My whole week was an NSV...now I'm hoping for an SV tomorrow!

Rosinante
06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Just caught up to seashell - went to visit a friend yesterday and discovered I'd crossed my legs. woohoo! promise not to do it often, I know it's not good for the circulation but still good to know I can do it!

kswood87
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I went out dancing and drinking last night and I did NOT binge like crazy afterward at Denny's at 3AM!! I had two eggs, some bacon and fruit...

Even with the drinking I still lost a pound!

the final countdown
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
:smoking:yoga gal - why were you smoking cold turkies:smoking::thanks2:

Last week after staying mostly op I had a 2 pound gain and then a couple of days of off plan days because of it - add 3 more pounds. Got back on track and I am back where I started in my losses. I know it's a scale thing but my nsv was getting my head straight before i just let it all go to :devil:

Alana in Canada
06-07-2009, 07:31 PM
These are so inspiring!

thistoo
06-07-2009, 11:31 PM
This past week at work has been awful. I'm a public librarian, and I don't know what's been in the air around here, but the patrons have been mean lately. Several times this week we've had blow-ups, and I have been on the receiving end of all of them (mostly because my coworkers tend to toss me in the path of danger whenever they can).

Friday I left work in tears. Today I worked four short hours and *still* had to deal with an irate man yelling at me for half an hour over something I could do nothing about. After work I went to the grocery store to pick up cottage cheese and salad for dinner. I was wandering through the deli section, justifying some ice cream in my head (Just a pint. My period's about to start. I can afford a few extra calories with all the working out I've been doing.)

I was almost to the freezer section when I looked up and found the guy behind the deli counter watching me. I smiled. He smiled. I walked right past the ice cream and straight to the register, feeling good for the first time all day about the fact that even though my job kind of sucks a lot of the time, I am confident and in control for the first time in years.

Skinnycow
06-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I walked in the Global Race for the Cure on Saturday. This was my 3rd 5k this year. The first one was in March when I first started losing weight. I was so sore after that one. I've lost 26 lbs since then, and the race on Saturday was so much easier. That little bit of weight really made a difference. I'm not sore at all! I start doing the C25k tomorrow. Eventually I want to be able to run a 5k.

CLCSC145
06-07-2009, 11:55 PM
That is awesome Caroline! It's amazing what a little kindness from others can do to a bad day.

As for me, I had decided that in addition to chunking up my goals into 10% increments that I would also take pictures and a waist measurement on those days (I thought about taking other measurements too, but being an apply shape, who am I kidding, I really just want a waist!).

So with my first 10% not only are my pictures a big improvement (someday I may share them with you when I get a few more 10%'s out from under my belt), but I also lost 3 inches off my waist! Yippee!

DCHound
06-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I have scheduled my SECOND HIKE EVER in my entire adult life ~ the weekend after the 4th ~ and, today, I tried on one of my super nice expensive Ralph Lauren size 16 outfits I bought as a clothes horse in 2002...well, it wasn't COMFORTABLE (tight in the hips like you wouldn't believe, afraid to sit down tight) but it actually buttoned, and it looked pretty darn hot. That sucker and all its friends are going to FIT this summer then be FLOATING on me this fall!!!!

2behealthy
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Being diagnosed with diabetes in February put me on this journey.

My blood sugar was 102 this morning! The first time I have made the morning goal of under 110!

( back when I started my journey my morning numbers were somewhere in the 300's)

Jennelle
06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
^^ THAT is the best goal of all!^^

Keep it up and maybe you won't be a diabetic anymore soon!

:hug:

thistoo
06-08-2009, 12:26 PM
For reasons that are unclear even to me, I have a few pairs of pants left over from fashion of the 80s and 90s. Nothing that *looks* like it came from that time period, mind; it's mostly classic styles that my sister bought and then gave to me when they got too big. Maybe she was trying to encourage me to lose weight, who knows.

Anyway, I think of them as 'old school sizes', because while the labels say a certain number, those pants are a full size smaller than the same number the fashion industry is making today.

So right now I'm in a 14, inching slowly toward a 12. But I was looking for something to wear this morning and remembered a pair of 'old school' 16P khakis I've had hanging in my closet forever. My sister didn't even give these to me (she's never worn a 16 in her life); I have a feeling I bought them and they just never fit, but I was too embarrassed/lazy to return them. So this morning I pulled them out, just to see, and what do you know, those pants that in the past have been depressingly tight were so baggy in the butt that I can't wear them! I missed my window of opportunity on the 'old school' 16Ps. :D

I'm not even disappointed, because they're high-waisted and would have looked terrible on me anyway, but it was a nice boost this morning to be well and truly out of *all* size 16s, not just the 16 of fashion today.

(Next stop: my sister's old (tiny!) 'old school' size 12s.)

synger
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Yesterday was a lovely day, so we packed the day pack (hiking fanny pack that has two water bottles and room for snacks, sunscreen, and small first aid kit) and laced on the hiking boots and went to the regional park. The hiking trail was paved through half of it, but then went to regular trails. I was able to hike a full hour with only a couple of breaks for water! But boy, was I glad to get to the playground at the end of our trek, and sit on the bench drinking water while my DD8 got out the rest of her energy on the playground equipment.

We saw a beautiful bulbous spider, a baby black racer snake, and two neon colors of fungus (along with all the other more sedate white and brownish fungus), and told stories about the scary ghosties that come out of half-rotten trees during full moon nights. It was SO much fun!

I was a little nervous about the hiking, as my hiking boots always feel too tight in the toes when I first put them on. I'm always afraid I'll end up with tingle-toes, but they were the only wide hiking boots we could find when we bought them, some ten years ago. But after ten minutes of walking, they loosened up nicely, and were very comfortable and supportive all through the hike. And that's why I wore them rather than my tennis shoes.

Arctic Mama
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I had a great and slightly comedic NSV last night. On a whim I picked up my next pair of jeans to wear in terms of size, which happened to be my prepregnancy jeans from before my first daughter and the size I wore the summer I met my husband - size 16.

Now my 22's started out tourniquet-tight at the beginning of my weight loss and are now falling off within five minutes of putting them on, but going from a 22 to a 16 is quite a size jump! Still, I tried them on for fun since my normal jeans look frumpy.

Well with a lot of huffing and puffing and a comedically dangerous situation with the button, I managed to squeeze into those size 16 UNELASTIC denim jeans with only a little numbness and a scant 6 inches of muffin top :p

While most people would be horrified by this - being so much bigger - all I could think was "WOW! Three weeks ago I could even get these babies over my hips and now I can get them buttoned with only a slight overstuffed-sausage effect. That is a HUGE victory for me, because I know that in three MORE weeks they will probably fit, and three weeks after that they'll fit WELL!

On a happy sidenote my stretch 16 capris actually fit without any pain or circulatory issues! They didn't look pretty with my blob of apron fat, but I AM shrinking! I am moving in the right direction! Yay!

scarletmeshell
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I swam both Saturday and Sunday. I mean really swam, out of breath laps! I am very proud of myself to start my excercise program. Also, and not least, not one person ran from the pool in fear when they saw me in a swimsuit! haha!

Lady from Joppa
06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
My friend from Alaska had a BBQ at her parent's house on Saturday. I really wanted to go, but I knew they would be serving the typical BBQ-type food. So I went, but bought my own burger (Boca burger & Arnold sandwich thin) plus fruit. Then I ate only the salad with light dressing. I spent my time socializing instead of worrying about what I was eating or eating foods that I knew would be wrong for me and feeling guilty about it later.

PS. No one even noticed except another friend who has weight problems too, but is not ready to do anything about it yet.

Jennelle
06-08-2009, 10:32 PM
These are all such great NSVs! :D

Arctic Mama...I laughed so hard reading your post! :lol: I could picture the whole sordid affair in my head! :lol: (Are you old enough to remember the early 80s, when we wore our jeans that tight on purpose? I remember having to lay down on the bed and use a pair of needlenose pliers to get my pants zipped! I think that's why we wore such humongous shirts - to hide the muffin top!)

My NSV - I've gone to the gym two days in a row!

DCHound
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Hurrah for old skool sizes!! I was just downstairs in my basement trying on more of those. They're all beautiful classic pieces, not hideously dated crappies. All the 18s fit! The 20s are waaaay too big! And I can get several of the 16s on, but they are not fit for public consumption yet. They will be soon though. I am pretty much a new-school 16W now. Wahoo!

daniela
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I started my 1/2 marathon training yesterday. 19 weeks until the big race!

KnitALisa
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Caroline - A :wave: from a future librarian here. One more year of college then it's off to library school! I totally admire you for going the public route; I've heard horror stories. I'd really like to work in a college/university library, so I'll have my own set of jerks to deal with! ;)

My NSV for the day is that I worked out on my elliptical! I'm just getting over mono and right now my endurance/stamina/energy is at 0. But I managed to do 25 minutes! I went really slow and was huffing and puffing the whole time, but I got good and sweaty. :carrot: Feels so good to be getting my energy back!

time2lose
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Lisa and Caroline - A :wave: from a former librarian, if there is such a thing. I have worked at a public library, a medical library, a university library, and even a state library. They were all great places. I worked in technology in all of them and somehow found my way into the IT department of a college. I find that I use the same skills here as in the library.

When I get where I can't handle technology anymore, I want to go back to storytimes!

Rosinante
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
OOOOO this one's big....
I went to a clothing outlet today with a friend, and I saw a nice skirt to take on the hols.
Went and tried it on and it was ----- TOO BIG! So I asked friend if she could get me a smaller size, a UK18 but we couldn't remember where it had come from. So she called an assistant over and said, 'She'd like an um er smaller size than um er' . Hey, I know she'd wear a bag on her head if she ever even approached a size UK18, she's a UK10/12, all through her own efforts, all credit. but when the assitant came I cut through all the um ers and said loudly, A UK20 is too big, could you bring me an UK18, please? and boy, boy, boy, did it feel good!
The skirt fits fine in the UK18, no muffins at all, in fact in that range I'm probably a 16 and a half but I don't want things to be squirted out above the waistband.

O, the joy.

I shared it with the friend over lunch, figuring she couldn't be challenged or resentful, being as she's so much lighter. I told her what a joy/buzz it had been to send something back as too big. She smiled. She looked at me and said, 'Your face is getting drawn.'

1. It was Still a joy!
2. Hey, maybe she WAS threatened - maybe I'm getting hawt!!!!!

Alana in Canada
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Yesterday I really, really wanted chocolate. My favourite indulgence used to be a "family" size Burnt almond bar--which I rarely shared with the family!

Lasy night, I wanted one--badly. Failing that, I wanted Hot Chocolate. Yummy Carnation pre-mixed Hot Chocolate.

I'd been out making the Great Parental Sacrifice -- watching my daughter play soccer in the freezing temperatures and the biting wind--some parents brought blankets and gloves--I wasn't so prepared-- To give you an objective idea--Temperatures dropped to just one degree (C) above freezing last night.

We were there an hour and a half!

But I coached hubby in how to "help" me--and eventually he said "do you want to have chocolate or do you want to be fat?" I had to laugh. My poor husband would rather say nothing than be that blunt!

So, I had a hot shower and a cup of tea and some yogurt with fruit.
That worked!

MugCanDoIt
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Had a meeting in one of the classrooms, sat in a standard classroom chair. I was not in pain due to my stomache pressing up against the front of the chair. :carrot: Thats a great thing when before it felt like I was holding my breath when sitting in the chair. :carrot:

Alana in Canada
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh Mug! That's fantastic.

Ailidh--Congrats! Is that the friend going to Spain with you?

One of my motivations in fact was sitting in a Fast food restaurant and feeling the table with my belly. Ugh. I hated that so much.

Rosinante
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Ailidh--Congrats! Is that the friend going to Spain with you?

No. This is fortunate, as I'm not sure how she'd look wearing paella.....

KnitALisa
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
No. This is fortunate, as I'm not sure how she'd look wearing paella.....

BWAH! :lol: Good for you not letting her stupid comment get to you!

scarletmeshell
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Last night I believe a relationship that was very important to me ended. I was and still am devasted, no sleep, and my eyes are almost swollen shut from crying. In the past this would have been the perfect opportunity to stuff myself with crackers and cream cheese. I did not. I did eat some steamed veggies, as I knew I had to have something. So I face this day, a little stronger, a little wiser, and one pound lighter.

DCHound
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Scarletmeshell, sending you a big cyberhug. That sucks. Mug, wonderful!!! I remember starving myself down from about a size 24/26 in 11th grade to a size 12/14ish in 12th grade and oh how much more comfortable I fit in a student desk then. Lucky for me, my undergrad and grad school was spent in regular chairs at regular tables, because particularly in grad school I would not have fit otherwise. I was 303 lbs the day I started grad school in 1995.

My NSV today is, today I am wearing a pair of LB size 3 Red jeans I bought the third week of April. In April they were a tiny bit snug but looked great from behind and I wore the heck out of them. Today the waistband comes all the way up to the bottom of my bra...because they are waaaay too big. Tight to floaty in 7 weeks. Awesome!!!

Sadly, I learned last week that Catherine's only carries size 18 and larger. If you want a 14 or 16 they have to special order it for you, or see if Lane Bryant has it instead since they carry a lot of the same stuff. I have to try everything on, so I don't want to do that. I think I'm going to have to say goodbye to Catherine's...when I do that it'll get its own thread I think. My relationship with Catherine's has been very special to me.

zoritsa
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Been a while since I've posted here,but I thought it would be a good place to start.

I started the 30 day challenge with EA Active,and on my second week of doing it.

Couch
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I just bought a pair of jeans from a normal store! They're size 18 (Aus). I used to be size 24, second to highest size in the plus sizes, so this thrills me beyond comprehension.

DCHound
06-11-2009, 11:55 AM
I AM WEARING MY NEW SIZE 16W JEANS TODAY.

In September 2008 I didn't own any jeans that fit. I only wore slacks or sweats. Size 32.

I am wearing the fitted blouse that went with my one size 14 suit from 2003, when I briefly wore a 14. So these 16s fit well enough that I can wear a fitted shirt with them. E.g., no muffin top AT ALL.

OMG I might pass out.

KnitALisa
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
So much congrats, Couch & DCHound!!! Enjoy those new clothes, I'm sure they look smoking hawt! :)

Rosinante
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
For the last 6 hours, too many calories worth of chorizo has been calling mi nombre from the fridge. Hurrah! I'm off to bed, it didn't succeed!

Tummy Girl
06-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I do enjoy chorizo...mmmm...

I have a slight TMI one, but I have a C-section scar (and to think my doctor said right before making it, and you won't even see it in a bikini, ya, cuz that scar was going to be the make it or break it bikini reason) and it has always had a mind of it's own since then. The rest of my stomach is round but doesn't hang over,except for that one little spot and I have to powder it and make sure it doesn't get a rash, ick. I just realized today that I haven't done that in a week and it's fine. There's still a bump on top of the scar and that will likely remain from what I've heard but it's not overlapping anymore. It's really nice when your body stops making its own rashes.

anmitche
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I walked a 5K this morning and then went to lunch with the other women I was walking with. After lunch, my best friend decided to walk to her car, nearly three miles away. I decided to go with her and have her drive me to my car. So, I walked almost six miles today, and not only that, but I wasn't exhausted afterward, just energized, even keeping up with my best friend's faster pace!

Jennelle
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I went to a barbeque at the home of some friends from my old church. I was a little bummed because I hadn't seen them for a few months and no one said anything about my 36 lb. loss. Later, though, I used the bathroom and I looked in the mirror on the way out and realized: I look hot! I mean, I have more to lose but I look really, really good. :)

Body acceptance. That's a big one for me!

Jo Kittibuck
06-14-2009, 02:58 AM
Here's a bit of an odd, roundabout one... Thanks to the tummy-fold that has only gotten more pronounced from my weightloss, I've developed a bad rash in the crease. I was examining it today, lying in bed, when it occurred to me... a month or two ago, that would've never been possible. Then, my belly was not going to move anywhere, no matter how hard I pushed. It was a firm, implacable object that could not be seen past. Now, I can tug it around pretty easily.

Woohoo!

Star2Be
06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Here's one that made me pretty proud... Last night, I got together with some friends to cook a meal and watch a movie--sounds innocent enough, right? And the meal itself started out with good ingredients (tons of fresh veggies, brown rice, and tofu, mmm), but then my friends decided that they wanted to stir-fry everything with tons of oil and this teriyaki sauce with enough sodium to choke a goat. Now, I don't mind the occasional planned indulgence, BUT as we were cooking I just couldn't shake the feeling of I don't really want to eat this... So I didn't! I mean, I had just hit goal, and I knew all the sodium would make me blow up like a balloon, and I just didn't want to have to deal with seeing a spike tomorrow for something I didn't *really* want. Plus this week is TOM, which is usually the ONLY week of the month that I actually lose anything, heh, and I didn't want to do anything to throw a wrench into that. So I very stealthily filled up on the raw vegetables and tofu before they were smothered in oil and sauce, packed up most of my pan of stir-fry to "take home" (and give to my family, heh), and ate another small bowl of raw veggies while they thought I was eating my stir-fry... Crisis averted! I didn't have to eat something I didn't want, but I didn't have to alienate my friends, LOL! Yep, I'm pretty devious... :s:

synger
06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I am so tickled. THis past weekend I went camping with my family. And when they were out fishing, I went hiking down probably the toughest mountain path I've ever been on. Very rocky, and in some places quite steep. I was SOOO glad I had my walking stick. I'd plant it, hold on tight, then step down. I took a number of breaks (logs and rocks all over the mountain to sit on). Saw a hummingbird! And shared one rock with a little toad. Other hikers, many of them families with young kids, passed me by. And I wasn't sure I'd make it to the falls which were my destination. I usually only hike for about an hour at a time, and this was obviously going to be longer.

But I did it!! I made it all the way down a difficult trail, and enjoyed the falls (LOVELY) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningham_Falls_State_Park).

Cliff Trail .75 mile to the falls - difficult
For those looking for more of a challenge, the Cliff Trail to the Falls is a more strenuous trail that goes over the mountain and includes rough terrain and steep rock outcroppings. This trail travels with the Catoctin Trail for a short distance. Hikers should be careful not to miss a turn onto a spur trail that will lead to the base of the falls.

And then I decided I couldn't go back up the way I came, so I took the easy path along the base of the mountain to the lake, then caught a ride back up the mountain to the campground.

I am SO proud of myself. I'm still hyped! And very much looking forward to my next hike.

Misora
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Walked to the mall a few days ago because I'm getting to the point that my size 28 pants and skirts are starting to fall off me in a way that's incompatable with work. 3.5 miles up there. I picked out 2 cute belts and tried on a few clearance items. Fit into some size 22 pants that were snug but buttoned and zipped fine without me having to lie down or anything! Size 22 was the smallest I ever got in college so that's big for me. But they didn't look good so I put them back and just bought the belts! That's a diet victory and a financial victory (except that the belts were $50 together. Ouch). Still I don't want to go replacing all my work clothes yet.
Then was lazy and called for a ride home from the mall because it was 95 and being the idiot I was I walked up in my work clothes including a long sleeved blouse.

ChrissyBean
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I had two (count 'em, 2) people notice that I'm losing weight again this week. It feels soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!

Star2Be
06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I'm beginning to notice that my friends are the biggest source of food temptations for me, LOL... Last night, some friends and I got together to watch a TV show we all like and make smoothies, and I am very proud to say that I stayed perfectly on-plan the whole evening! Again, smoothies aren't so bad in themselves, but my friends all wanted to add fruit juice and/or extra spoonfuls of granulated sugar into theirs (sooo much sugar! :eek:)... So I came up with the brilliant idea of making our smoothies separately so we could all "have the fruits we wanted," etc. That way I got to make sure that I got a plain and simple "fresh fruit + ice" deal, while they were all able to add in as much sugar as they wished. :p And it was delicious! I need to get a blender, lol. Also, along with the smoothies they were all munching on tortilla chips and salsa while we watched the show... Now that is pretty much my FAVORITE snack and I can almost never turn it down, heh, but somehow I did last night! I'm so proud of myself. :^: And lo and behold, today I am 0.8 lbs down from yesterday, instead of being bloated from all the sodium that would have been in those pesky chips! Hehe.

Jennelle
06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I went to the doctor today for some stomach issues (probably gallstones, but won't know for sure until the ultrasound he scheduled for me next Friday) and he was THRILLED with my weight loss! Not only that but my blood pressure was down from 130/80 (my last appt. in December) to a much more respectable 110/70. :)

2behealthy
06-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I went to the doctor today for some stomach issues (probably gallstones, but won't know for sure until the ultrasound he scheduled for me next Friday) and he was THRILLED with my weight loss! Not only that but my blood pressure was down from 130/80 (my last appt. in December) to a much more respectable 110/70. :)

Yahoo!! A wonderful drop in your blood pressure!!

thistoo
06-23-2009, 11:16 PM
So when I started out my hips were ENORMOUS. I'm an hourglass, which is nice now that I'm smaller, but when I was heavier, I really hated how big my hips were. They're still pretty big, don't get me wrong, but they're much more proportional now.

Even 40 pounds ago I wouldn't wear a dress until I absolutely *had* to (for my cousin's wedding, for instance) because there was no hiding my hips in a dress. But over the weekend I decided I would dust off my sewing machine and make a dress, just for the heck of it. The whole time I was worried that it was going to look terrible and my hips would look giant and I'd hate it, but not only does it look good, but my hips look totally normal! That's a big deal for me.

I wore it to work today not only did I feel good in it, I got tons of compliments. And the next time I make the pattern, I get to go down a size on top, which is pretty exciting on its own.

Jennelle
06-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I was in Target on Saturday picking up a few last-minute things for Father's Day and decided I'd buy one of the cotton/spandex polo shirts on sale for $5 for me. I picked up an XL and thought, "Hm. That looks like it might be too big for me." So I grabbed the L. I wasn't sure, and I DO NOT try on clothes in the dressing room (standing in front of a dept. store mirror naked is something I will never be able to do, no matter what I weight), so I figured I'd take it home, try it on, and if it was too small it would fit eventually.

I got home and tried it on and it fit! Then I thought maybe it only fit because I wanted it so badly to fit, so I asked hubby if he thought it looked too small. It passed the Hubby Test. :) (One thing he is is honest if I ask for an honest opinion!)

Rosinante
06-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Went shopping for underwear yesterday and came home with a 5-pack of UK14 knickers ~ and they fit!!!

time2lose
06-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Yesterday several of my co-workers were complaining that the parking places close to our office were all filled early so they had to park in the parking garage. The garage is a short walk away but all uphill.

After I heard that, I got to thinking about the way I used to be. I used to be one of those people who had trouble walking from the garage and got to work early just to be able to get a close parking space. Now, I pass the empty close parking spaces and park in the garage. The walk is easy now. I don't even think about it!

I have changed! I am much more mobile. I can walk the whole way easily! Life is soooo much better!

mmanor
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
My NSV started a while ago, but it is an ongoing thing so I wanted to share it with you all. I am a sugar freak, or at least I used to be. My whole life has been wrapped around sugar and the way it makes me feel, the super high ups and of course the crashing lows. It has been my friend and comfort for so many years that I don’t really remember when or where it started. Probably at birth, since my mom has told me that she used to use Caro syrup to cut evaporated milk for formula when I was an infant. I remember as a kid sneaking bags of chocolate chips up to my room to eat, and polishing off an entire bag in a day, to hiding candy around the house, not telling my husband or anyone about it. I would eat things when I wasn’t hungry and would continue to eat cake and cookies and such, even when my stomach hurt from the sugar. I could hold a candy bar in my hand and say “this is no good for you, put it back” and eat it anyway. I sometimes feel like it was a drug, but so hard to get away from it. How do you just stop eating? And artificial sweeteners are even worse for me. They drive me to eat more and crave more.
So after reading all that, you may ask – what is your NSV.
Well, first you have to know that almost every desk in our office has a candy bowl on it and in the finance department they have a table in the hall that always has snacks, candy, cakes, cookies and other assorted sugary things on it.
On May 15th, I walked passed that table and as I usually do and I grabbed a Kit Kat bar out of the bowl. I looked at it as I walked back to my desk, I even opened it at one end and then it happen, I said, as I have many times before “you don’t need this, put it back.” Well this time I didn’t put it back, but I did walk to my desk, sat down and wrote 5/15/09 on the back of the wrapper in black Sharpie and set it on my desk under my monitor and thought, “let’s see if I can leave it there until tomorrow. “ And here I sit today 06/24/09 and that Kit Kat bar is still sitting there under my monitor as a daily reminder of the progress I have made. That was also the last day I had a piece of candy.
And although I still indulge in an occasional cookie or small bowl of ice cream, sugar is beginning to lose its grip on me, and that feeling is indescribable.

Breeezie
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
My first June NSVs are joining 3FC and having my full first day of tracking all of my food AND staying within my calorie goal. Woo hoo!

scarletmeshell
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
I wrote in an earlier nsv that I was able to sit down in my size 16 jeans when I started I couldn't get them over my hips. So the weekend came to wear them out. Some girlfirends and I were meeting a group of guy friends that come to visit us every 3 month or so. I had on my jeans standing out side the club we were meeting at by myself and one of the men we were waiting for walks by and give me "the look" you know head to toe look, and smiles, then his mouth drops open once he realizes it it me! I think we were both shocked at his reaction, he didn't even recogonize me! I got "the look" more than once that weekend. The attention is a little odd for me but you know a girl could get used to it! Deffinately worth giving up crackers for.

thistoo
06-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Today was horrible. By the end of the work day I was in tears, which I tried to be discreet about, but our security guard caught me anyway. He's so sweet, which of course just made it worse! So I cried on the half mile walk back to my car, and I cried during my half hour drive home, and I thought about going to the grocery store and getting some ice cream. My weight's not budging, so who cares, right?

(I also thought about stopping at the liquor store for a bottle of wine, but that would have been a disaster.)

Instead I went home, ate a salad, and went to spin class. Didn't make the day suck any less, but I feel a lot better about working out and sticking to my plan than I would if I'd binged on sugary carbs.

Rosinante
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Silly little nsv this but - I'm starting to plan a wardrobe for my next vacation, Germany in late September; yes, I know I'm extremely fortunate to be able to vacation abroad twice in the year! Anyway, I find I'm contemplating skirts and even dresses for like the first time in years and years and years!
Most people believe I move around on castors, I'm Never seen out of trousers; my general clothes regime is drag on a pair of stretch waist trousers, take more care with pretty tops. Now it seems I'm thinking feminine. Hm.

thistoo
06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I hope you'll forgive me spamming this thread lately, but truth is I really need the positive reinforcement it offers right now. I have been very frustrated this week and reminding myself of little victories is the only thing currently keeping me from falling right off the wagon into a pizza-and-ice-cream binge.

I mentioned this in the One Reason I'm Staying OP thread already, but it's an NSV so it bears mentioning here as well. I'm wearing a size 11 skirt today! Not quite the same as fitting into my size 12 pants (still too tight), but it's not a 14, so I'll take it.

On top of that, this is the third skirt I've worn to work this week. Used to be I could wear a skirt one day and then pay for it with chafed inner thighs for the rest of the week. But this is not only my third skirt this week with no chafing, but I walked half a mile from the parking lot to my job this morning in this thing with no problems at all. (Well, my shoes aren't that comfortable, but that's a different problem!)

It feels pretty good to be able to wear skirts again on a regular basis, especially during summer in the south. Now I guess I have to work on remembering to shave my legs more regularly. :^:

time2lose
06-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey thistoo,

You are not spamming!! We love seeing NSVs

thistoo
06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks, time2lose! I actually feel a little better for having posted today, so I really appreciate the support.

H8cake
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey thistoo... congrat's on the skirts and the non-chafing. I still marvel at my thighs not rubbing and chafing in skirts. I carry my weight in my lower half so I had terrible problems with that. Your nsv's not only help you, they help every one of us that comes here and reads them. So post away! Congrat's to you for rewarding yourself with healthy food and exercise when you are down. That is a huge nsv! It's so hard to get over the thinking of junk food being a reward, but it really isn't. You are doing GREAT!
My nsv is a young friend of mine, she's in her early twenties, noticing how much weight I've lost. She has always been tiny, but has started to notice her weight changing in the last year since she got married. She was asking me for advice on how to manage it. It's funny because I've lost the weight over the last year and a half and she has seen me every few months but she didn't notice until yesterday. I think the last twenty pounds is really noticeable.

WildThings
06-27-2009, 02:09 PM
My bath towel wrapped the entire way around me today when I go out of the shower!!!!!!!!!

WildThings
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Okay, I had to add another one! After wearing my towel around my apartment for awhile, I decided to try on a pair of jeans that I've been trying on for about 2 months now. First time I tried them on, I couldn't get them over my hips and butt. Today, I am wearing them out of the house!!!!!! They are a juniors 15 that I wore many years ago. The last time I remember wearing them comfortably was to go see the Spiderman 2 the night it came out in theater. They are a little snug, but they fit, I can breath and won't offend the public it I wear them out!!! I'm so excited!!!

Rosinante
06-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Wildthings - outstanding on both counts!

nursedeannarae
06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
I had to have a bridesmaid dress taken IN a little for a July wedding I'm in (that I could barely zip last November). And I weaned myself off of soda. Which has been my achilles heel!

And congrats, Wildthings!!! Fitting into old jeans is a great feeling :)

Michelle1210
06-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Thistoo you are absolutely amazing a true inspiration to boot:) Im sorry you had a bad day at work congrats on overcoming comfort food binging, we all so know and have been guilty of doing.And wearing skirts too and know chafing, I look forward to that day myself....keep posting NSV

Wildthing, Kudos to you too a towel wrap and jeans you must be walking on clouds!!!

Scarlet you got the "LOOK"!! must feel good, and empowering

Ok for my NSV I had the munchies, something terrible last night, all I could think of was the chips and cashews, in the costco size and a glass of wine......so looking at the clock and it was late I made myself to go to bed. And I was glad, the scale showed a lb down this morning, after up a little down a little and itwas always up the same and down the same but never below, and I feel great that it finally broke threw, I loose weight sooooo slow.And I wasn't given in. A battle I won over my flesh.The spirit is willing but Flesh will through you under the bus.lol

DCHound
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Two big (for me) NSVs today...I wore the smaller of my two old pair of size 18 jeans in public today...they started out a bit snug but stretched and by the end of the day, were loose...this means I only have *2* pair of jeans left from the last time I lost weight that are still too small. Wow.

The second is, sometime after Christmas I was in Costco getting food and happened to glance over in the clothes section. I'd never shopped clothes there before since I was a size 30 when we joined years ago. I meandered over and began looking at the jeans. Gloria Vanderbilt, they went to a 16 misses. At the time I was probably a 22W, much much too large for those jeans.

Phone rings, friend, we talk, she tells me, buy the 16s. I said, if I EVER fit in to them, it'll be months and months. It's a waste of $$. She insists, buy them. They were less than $20. And I loved the color. So I bought them.

Yesterday I tried them on again - last time was maybe 2 months ago and I could juuuuust get them barely over my hips but they were no where close to meeting.

THEY FIT!!!! They don't look GOOD yet - a bit too obscene to wear in public - but they buttoned and zipped and didn't look too bad. I have a very important social thing I have to do at the end of July and I KNOW they will look GREAT by then.

Wow.

Edited to add: Duh! Forgot another one! I had to go buy new bras again yesterday...smaller...40DD!!! That's HYOOGE (a huge NSV, not huge in size, well, not small LOLz but not huge).

thistoo
06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
My NSV for today is that I've started sewing for myself again. For the longest time I didn't bother, because nothing looked decent on me and it wasn't worth spending the time or the money. But today I cut up some old fat jeans and made a cute A-line skirt out of them, without even using a pattern. It felt great to make something myself, and even better to be able to re-use old clothes that will never fit me again.

time2lose
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Last night I was helping DH with some computer work and realized I had actually put his laptop in my lap. I can't remember the last time I had enough of a lap that something could actually sit there!

thistoo
06-29-2009, 01:21 PM
time2lose, congratulations on finding your lap again! It is an awesome feeling for sure.

My NSV today is that on Saturday I was at the grocery store, sweaty and no makeup post-workout, minding my own business in the produce section, when I heard someone say my name. I looked up and there were my sister's brother-in-law and his wife, along with their kid.

When they first met the wife was not *skinny*, but she wasn't heavy. After having their son she gained a lot of weight, and while she complains about it a lot, she hasn't gotten serious about getting it off again. They both know I've been working on *my* weight, but I haven't seen either of them since about October, I think?

Anyway, you should have seen her face when she saw me. She kept saying 'you look good' over and over. I think she was a little shocked at my progress! I just thanked her and exchanged a few pleasantries, then went back to shopping. Later on I told my sister I'd seen them and she said, "Yeah, Jennifer called [their father-in-law] after and said, 'Wow, Caroline looks amazing! I need to step up my game'."

We are not in competition for sure, but it feels pretty good to see someone I haven't in a long time and be reminded of how far I've come, especially when I'm going on week four of zero weight loss.

Momto2Ms
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I ran (well... jogged would probably be more accurate to describe my pace) .5miles tonight! First! Time! Ever!!

Jennelle
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't see a July NSV thread, and this was technically a June NSV that I'm just now getting around to posting, so here goes:

I chaperoned at a church camp last week. My denomination runs the gamut from very, very conservative to fairly liberal, so at large gatherings like church camp, the powers-that-be usually err to the side of conservative. Hence, this camp didn't have "mixed swimming" - i.e., girls and boys swam at different times.

When I found this out, I decided I was going swimming. To swim, I obviously needed a swimsuit. This is a huge deal. I had not been in a swimsuit since the summer of 1998. Yep - 11 years. So I carried myself to the local Wal-Mart and found a size 16/18 one piece swimsuit that fit fabulously. And I didn't chicken out. I wore it and I swam! (And discovered that I float really well - one of the few positive side-effects of high body fat! :lol:)

I even brought it to Chicago with me in case hubby and I decided to swim or hit the hotel sauna. We never did, but I totally would have.

Go me. :)